Video: Mitt’s nifty new GOP-bashing ad

posted at 1:03 pm on September 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

“GOP-scolding” would be more accurate but that doesn’t quite sing. I’m with Geraghty: I dig it, notwithstanding Soren Dayton’s point that Mitt’s in no position to be telling anyone what “real” Republicans should believe. True enough but beside the point: the ad’s really about good government and effective management, both of which conservatives are hungry for and both of which Mitt’s well positioned to push, partly based on his record and partly on his reputation as a guy so squeaky clean that he won’t even use foul language. Rudy’s too socially liberal to get away with an ad like this, Fred has too much lobbyist baggage, and McCain’s too much of an amnesty shill. If any one of the big four’s going to do it, and it needs to be done, it’s Mitt.

Mitt’s also the only one of the big four who’s hinted, however slightly, at drifting away from Bush on Iraq. If things take a downturn this fall, he’ll probably be the first major Republican candidate to tack left to try to capture growing anti-war sentiment among the right.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I agree, the republicans have to counter Hillary’s health care plan. With its mandate for insurance , increased regulation of insurance industries, huge subsidies, why, that almost sounds like RomneyCare when you put it in those terms doesn’t it?

Pot, kettle, black.

At least Romney’s national plan is far superior to his state plan. But then you have to factor in what votes he was trying to get.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Exactly. This mad rush to nationalize health care is frightening, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a Republican or Democrat doing it. All this is, is an exercise to pander for votes, nothing more.

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 4:21 PM

MirCat on September 19, 2007 at 2:28 PM

You would.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:29 PM

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 2:11 PM

He makes some very good points in that article. Time will tell. With Mitt runnings ads like this one, he is reaching the base on the issues they care about.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Ruh Roh…. looks like Mitt’s been listening to Newt…

This is EXACTLY what Newt has been saying for weeks. The conservatives of America are waiting for someone to make a break with the past REPUBLICAN crap we’ve had to put up with…

Face it… the Repubs let spending get way out of hand. Didn’t enforce our own laws. Did McCain Feingold… and generaly acted like the dems do…

Only way the repubs get the White House is to admit past mistakes, and say we need to fix it… it has to start IN HOUSE.

Romeo13 on September 19, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 2:34 PM

He can’t talk about Fred anymore. The lobbyist chickens are coming home to roost and we just found out that Fred gives legal advice to terrorists. Every time he opens his mouth about Fred, somebody shoves those facts down his throat.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:36 PM

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM

I don’t know that he’s going to reach the base so much as he might think. He’d do better to run ads against HitleryCare, the creeping Sharia and political correctness. IOW, give us some real juicy, red meat. While I probably won’t vote for Rudy, he gets big gold stars for socking it to Moveon.org and Hitlery right between the eyes.

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 4:43 PM

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 4:21 PM

I’d like to know what data has led Mitt to even consider a plan to have health care for everyone. But, if we are going to do it, Mitt’s plan is by far the best as it moves towards the right and away from the government controlled system that has been the plan for years.

As the pendulum swings away from the left, we have to go through the middle before we can get to the right. Mitt’s plan starts that swing to the right.

As much as this ad is the best message from ANY of the other candidates (even Rudy), I am still waiting for this kind of message concerning the war. Hopefully he’s getting his ducks in a row on it.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Ever since the debate when his lack of understanding of military families was on display, I have been very cool toward Mitt. I think he’s hammer Hillary pretty good on the differences between their two plans. And Mitt has been looking real strong against her when he is asked about it.

PC? I haven’t heard any candidate address that issue, but I thinks it’s a loser because PC is in the eye of the beholder and you have as good a chance as striking out as you do hitting a home run. I think it’s better to focus on safer issues at this point.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Hollowpoint,

Let me rephrase something. What is so annoying about you is your repetitive use of tedious cliche’s like “mittbotts and “RudyMcRomney”, along with your incessant Mitt-bashing (which includes linking to asinine tabloid websites that try to smear Mitt over faux scandals) and your endless predictions of how it’s all over for Mitt so he might as well pack it in.

How about something new and different for a change?

As for Fred bashing, I have not said a single thing to bash Fred. Not a one.

By the way, I’m not a “dude” or a “duder”, whatever that is.

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 4:55 PM

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Personally, I think this whole health-care thing is being driven by Hitlery. She wants to socialize the whole industry, and the Republicans are doing everything they can to head her off at the pass, and get votes. I don’t hear any of them talk about tort reform, or anything short of a nationwide overhaul of the best medical system in the world.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Have to disagree with you on this. In a Republican primary, he’d do well to talk about this. I think most Republicans would love to hear a Republican candidate talk about how PC is destroying this country. I, for one, would love to see a real scrapper get in the race.

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM

I’m talking about his STATE plan, silly. I told you his federal plan is by far superior.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Okay, then maybe you can tell us: What is his “national” plan and why is it better than his State plan???

And why are you linking to HillaryCare?

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Ron Paul is scrappy. Batshit insane too.

BKennedy on September 19, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Romney’s plan IS government controlled. If he’s making people buy insurance, subsidising those who don’t, and increasing regulation in the insurance industry in his state, that’s government control.

It’s not a move to the right, it’s a move to the left. A lesser move to the left. That’s why HillaryCare 2.0 is so much like it.

Health Care is a problem, increasing government control doesn’t need to be the answer.

Now his NATIONAL PLAN swings toward the right. And I am very well pleased with that.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 4:20 PM

In the California debate, he implied that he wanted RomneyCare for the rest of the country too. He said in reference to his mandatory program in MA “It’s a great program, a great opportunity for the entire country.”

I’d not be a bit surprised if he was for RomneyCare before he was against it, but we’d have to see what he actually proposes, if anything.

Not that it matters much considering that he’s in 4th place with only about 10% support and most likely going to lose his lead in his own backyard in NH. I guess it depends on how many more millions of his personal wealth he’s willing to try and buy the nomination with.

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Here is Romney’s national plan: http://mittromney.com/News/Press-Releases/Policy_Briefing_Health_Care

I linked to HillaryCare 2.0 because my point was that as Governor of Massachussets Mitt Romney’s health care plan (RomneyCare) is very similar to HillaryCare 2.0. I suspected that you were well educated on what RomneyCare entails, and linked you to Hillary’s plan and expected you to find the glaring similarities.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:17 PM

That’s because he can’t very well say “Oh that plan I instituted in Massachusets is trash, don’t buy it. I’m a Republican now!” He has to take a more federalist position, which is the position that our national government should be taking.

I said I’m more pleased with his National Plan, but it doesn’t mean I’m defending him or going to vote for him.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Whoa- first Townhall and now Hotair! Y’all are SO in the tank. This guy is no more a conservative that Hillary.

Ex-tex on September 19, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Ron Paul is scrappy. Batshit insane too.

BKennedy on September 19, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Perhaps I should’ve clarified that somewhat. Sane and scrappy…

Ron Paul is just a bloomin’ nutjob.

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, you’re right. I was thinking about the general. Cart before the horse.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Ron Paul is just a bloomin’ nutjob.

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Aye Aye.

And it pisses me off so much too.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:34 PM

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Agreed, the general is a whole different ballgame. I think, though, that there are enough moderate-to-conservative Dems that would like to see PC taken down a notch, though. It’s really gotten way out of hand.

Good to see we agree on something, though.

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I disagree. Mitt’s plan included saving all the money the state had to pay for emergency room care. His plan used the money saved to help subsidize low income folks so they could get market based health care. Moving away from emergency room doctor visits toward office visits of a doctor of your choice is a move to the right in my view. His plan wasn’t what I’d like to see, but for me it’s a move in the right direction.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Good to see we agree on something, though.

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Hey, there’s lots we agree on. Arguing is just more fun sometimes. ;-)

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 5:40 PM

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Heh. I’ll just be glad when this primary is over and we can get on to the main event…

jdawg on September 19, 2007 at 5:41 PM

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 5:38 PM

In Britain they are denying care to people who live unhealthy lifestyles. Why is this? To help the bottom line.

RomneyCare makes everyone, regardless of what they would choose to do, purchase health care. Why? To help the bottom line.

This is what happens when government seeps into health care. They care more about the cost of the matter than the citizen. Romney’s plan did not do anything to help this. It is contrary to what we as conservatives should be striving for.

Mitt was right in that add, when Republicans act like Democrats we lose. And Mitt Romney acted like a Democrat in Massachusetts.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Ex-tex on September 19, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Unbelievable. This site can post 50 positive Fred stories a day without that accusation being thrown, but say one nice thing about a non-Fred candidate and suddenly they’re “IN THE TANK” for that person.

Perspective.

Slublog on September 19, 2007 at 5:48 PM

What exactly are the positions held by the far right Christian Fringe that you detest so much?

Look, I am not biting that bullet with you, don’t try to peg me as a Christian hater, becuase I am not. Religious Fringe across the board is dangerous to politics, be it Christian, Muslim or Jew. Let’s just say too Far Right Wingnut and too Far Left Moonbat is one in the same.

AprilOrit on September 19, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM

You keep attacking it as an imperfect plan when I never said it was perfect. The fact remains that Mitt drew this plan up with the help of The Heritage Foundation (a conservative think tank) and it is clearly a conservative alternative to socialized medicine. And I don’t see any limits on a person health care in Mitt’s plan. You’ll have to give a link for that.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Making people buy health insurance isn’t a limit?

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 6:03 PM

That isn’t what I meant. I was responding to this….

I haven’t seen any mention that Mitt’s health care plan limits the amount of health care someone can receive.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Good message, good backdrop, GREAT hair; could’ve done without the cheesy horns, though.

Harpazo on September 19, 2007 at 6:24 PM

It operates on the same principle. Government needs to save money, government places limits on their citizens.

And no, his plan doesn’t do that. But both are doing it for the same reason. To help the bottom line.

Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Here we go again with the blah blah blah:

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Keljeck,

Okay, now I see what you mean about a “national” plan. It’s a great plan, and it’s only national in the sense that he could use Federal powers to deregulate insurance, give tax credits, et cetera. However, each State would still design their own plan. Thanks for the link!

One thing it says is:

Governor Romney believes that by expanding and deregulating the private health insurance market, we can decrease costs and ensure that more Americans have access to affordable, portable, quality, private health insurance.

Since (as I suspected he would be) he is for deregulation not more regulation, what did he do as Governor that increased regulation to the private insurance industry? Are you sure it’s not that the Democrat Mass legislature added on a bunch of garbage that he was stuck with?

That is a false analogy. In Britain you get Government healthcare which is not at all the same thing as Private health insurance.

Under Government plans you have no freedom of choice as to what doctors you choose to see, under what circumstances, and the taxpayer picks up the whole bill for the lousy service, and Hillary’s plan is a European Socialist plan a la Britain.

I don’t see how you can compare her plan to Romney’s.

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Thanks. I wasn’t sure how else to try to get him to understand the difference.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Mitt proves he is more sensitive to Floridians than brain dead Fred is. Scroll down to the “MItt Romney” portion.

Thompson reportedly told the AP earlier in the day that he wouldn’t rule out drilling for oil in the Everglades,

…..When briefed by a reporter after a campaign stop in Orange Park about Thompson’s comments and asked his own views on the matter, Romney balked at the idea. “In the Everglades?” he asked, surprised. “You’re kidding.”

“Let’s take that off the table,” Romney said, adding, “We’re not going to drill in the Everglades. There are certain places in America that are national treasures, and the Everglades is one of those. It’s environmentally extraordinarily sensitive. The people of Florida would never support such a thing.”

It appears that Fred is bound and determined to scuttle his campaign and convert that $3.4 million into a PAC and funnel it all to his family. I mean really, can anyone come up with an alternative reason for Fred acting so dang stupid?

Anyway, Mitt obviously cares more about Floridians than Fred does.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Personally I liked the his ad. It wasn’t till later that I remembered that Romney spent years as a Republican Governor acting like a Democrat. So I’m a little confused but agree in principle.

So here’s what I’ve learned from reading the comments.

1. Fred is a terrorist who drives a fakey pickup truck.

2. Mitt’s plan may or may not be as socialized as Hillary’s.

3. Rudy wears a dress more often than Hillary.

Yeah, this pecking party is gonna work out well for us.

Buzzy on September 19, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Kelijeck (and others).

Okay, I have gone through HillaryCare, and while I am by no means an expert on Health insurance, some things are glaringly obvious, which I will attempt to parse to the best of my layman’s ability. I apologize in advance for the length of this post!:

1. She brags that it “Reins in insurance companies”. Note the use of the phrase “rein in” which demonizes Insurance Companies right out of the box. Expect lots of talking points about the heartless and evil companies.

2. This Plan covers every American – finally addressing the needs of the 47 million uninsured and the tens of millions of workers with coverage who fear they could be one pink slip away from losing their health coverage – with no overall increase in health spending or taxes.

Notice how the government is deciding how much we will spend on health, not the consumer? And her claim that taxes won’t increase does not pass the laugh test.

Be prepared for her to even further regulate how much Doctors and health care facilities can make which will further remove incentives for people to become doctors in the first place.

3. Reducing Costs: By removing hidden taxes, stressing prevention and a focus on efficiency and modernization, the plan will improve quality and lower costs

Sure thing Hillary. Can you tell us how a huge Washington bureaucracy has ever focused on efficiency, improved quality, and lowered costs?

4. …while drug companies will offer fair prices and accurate information.

Translation: The government will institute price controls. The end result will be that the drug companies will have no incentive to create new drugs to save lives and improve the quality of life.

5. Employers: will help financing the system; large employers will be expected to provide health insurance or contribute to the cost of coverage

Translation: Large companies will be forced to cover you and your salary will be lower as they cover this government mandated coverage.

6. Government: will ensure that health insurance is always affordable and never a crushing burden on any family and will implement reforms to improve quality and lower cost.

Translation: She will establish a huge bureaucacy, when insurance is no longer “affordable” taxes will go up, and the “reforms” will be government edicts.

7. Strengthen Medicaid and CHIP: The Plan will fix the holes in the safety net to ensure that the most vulnerable populations receive affordable, quality care.

Translation: Medicare will be expanded at taxpayer expense, and her illegal amigos South of the border will soon be insured too.

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Buzzy on September 19, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Ha Ha.

Anyway, it helps to remember that A Republican Governor with an entrenched, liberal Democrat legislature.

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Here we go again with the blah blah blah:

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Truth hurts sometimes, don’t it? I said quite some time ago that Romney wouldn’t break 20%, and so far I see no reason to back off that prediction, though even I hadn’t predicted that he’d be in as bad of shape as he is now.

New prediction: When financials are released next month, I predict that the Romney campaign will be at least $10 million dollars in debt to himself with at least $15 million of his own money “loaned” to his campaign.

Go ahead and print this out and save it for posterity.

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 7:24 PM

No one, except you single issue Fred groupies gives a rat a$$ about national polling. You quote them like a badge of honor.

When are you going to start wearing Fred’s lobbying for a dictator and giving legal advice to terrorists as a badge of honor?

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM

OH yeah, and Fred wants to drill for oil in the everglades.

Bwahahahahaha!!!

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Yeah,, great line! I love it. “Republicans have to stop acting like democrats!” We need more like this!

JellyToast on September 19, 2007 at 7:46 PM

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Considering neither is actually true, neither. He made one phone call on behalf of an elected President who was ousted in a military coup, reinstalled years later, then re-elected. He also billed 3 hours of legal advice he gave not to terrorists, but a fellow lawyer.

And what the hell am I doing feeding a dishonest troll anyways?

And I would stay away from the “one issue voter” thing if I were you, because you fit in that category far better than I. It’s obvious you’ve chosen your candidate months ago based solely on his religion.

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM

The add says pretty much what posters on this site have said over and over again. During the amnesty debate I think 1/3 of posters on here must have threatened to move to a third party. Mitt says everything there except spell out the word “RINO”. None of the other major canditates has said anything like this.

This leaves me dumbfounded that so many in this thread desperately search for any reason to not like or believe Mitt.

Mitt Romney acted like a Democrat in Massachusetts.
Keljeck on September 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM

I’m sorry but you get the award for most nonsense statement in the thread. Do you know anything about his term as govenor? He must have bought boxes in bulk of stampers with the word VETO on it

Resolute on September 19, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Go ahead and print this out and save it for posterity.

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Why, are you paying out money if you’re wrong?

Amazing isn’t it. You’d think this was a Hillary/Obama blog.

He must have bought boxes in bulk of stampers with the word VETO on it

Resolute on September 19, 2007 at 7:57 PM

I’ve heard that! I need to do some research to get the total number of vetoes.

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Here’s one veto:

He vetoed 8 sections of the health care legislation, including an employer assessment[52] [53] and provisions providing health coverage to senior and disabled legal immigrants not eligible for federal Medicaid.[54] [55]

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Anyway, Mitt obviously cares more about Floridians than Fred does.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Fred was acting so dang stupid because he wasn’t doing a well-scripted announcement from afar, and he hasn’t studied anything whatsoever in the few months leading up to his much baleyhooed announcement.

You can tell this by also noting his non-existent position on the Terry Shiavo case, which should be a watershed event for any serious federalist. I mean come on, was Fred living in a cave for the two weeks Bush and Congress were intervening in that whole mess? Any federalist worth his salt would have an opinion one way or another on that kind of federal involvement.

But of course, Fred isn’t a real federalist. He just chose to be the federalist candidate because it sounds nice and appeals to the conservative base.

BKennedy on September 19, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Yeah, keep tellin yerself that Fred’s contact and lobbying for a dictator doesn’t matter. I’m sure that’s real easy for you single issue 2nd amendment types, but I never expected you to support and make excuses for Fred’s contact with, and legal advice given to, terrorists!

You ain’t no one to be giving advice to anyone bucko.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 11:14 PM

I get it now csd and bk bash Fred in Mitt threads because there really is little to support about their own candidate. If Mitt is going to get my support you guys better find something good to say and not just try to drag everyone else down to his level (7% if I remember correctly).

Buzzy on September 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM

BKennedy on September 19, 2007 at 9:40 PM

His Senate career just called, it says you’re full of crap.

Hollowpoint on September 20, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Buzzy on September 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM

Unless you’re a misguided single issue voter, you, just like most of us who are not fooled by Fred’s rhetorical BS, will be voting for someone other than Fred. I do not have a candidate yet, but it’s clear as day that Rudy and Mitt have the experience, message, and ability to articulate that make them the best candidates out there.

csdeven on September 20, 2007 at 7:08 AM

His Senate career just called, it says you’re full of crap.

Hollowpoint on September 20, 2007 at 1:16 AM

His lobbying career just called and it says he lobbied for a dictator. His lawyerin’ career called too and it says he gave legal advice to terrorists. His PAC career called and it says he funneled PAC money to his son. AND, his senate career called back and it says the only thing he really accomplished was CFR, which was an assault on the first amendment.

csdeven on September 20, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Colorado – trending Democrat
New Hampshire – trending Democrat
Nevada – trending Democrat
Arizona – trending Democrat
Virginia – trending Democrat
Maine – possible Dem pickup
Missouri – trending Democrat
Pennsylvania – trending Democrat

The trend is not in our favor.
Slublog on September 19, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Late responding to this, but this trend, at least in the western states, is due to the fact that affluent, self-loathing libs have turned vast swaths of CA into virtually uninhabitable hellholes and are now moving to CO, NM, AZ, ID, MT, and UT and bringing their crappy politics with them.

The 9 to fivers who grew up here are just as conservative as ever, but our party (the one I left 12 years ago. Dole? Are you kidding me?) has abandoned us by repeatedly giving us primary candidates that are Dem-lite. With no conservatives in the primaries, the general election becomes a choice between the lesser of two evils. The conservative base simply doesn’t rush to the polls to support one crappy candidate over another similarly crappy candidate when what they want is for both to lose.

Wingo on September 20, 2007 at 9:08 AM

His Senate career just called, it says you’re full of crap.

Hollowpoint on September 20, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Yes, the massive regulation brought on by McCain-Feingold(-Thompson) was an impressive example of Federeralism in action. Defending BillyJeff, known stalwart of Federalism was another milestone.

Face it Hollowpoint, Fred believes in Frederalism, not Federalism.

BKennedy on September 20, 2007 at 1:31 PM