Video: Fred on the “punishment” that is HillaryCare

posted at 2:12 pm on September 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

This is fine as red meat tossed to the base in an idle moment during primary season but it’s not just the base who’s visiting Fred’s highly trafficked website these days. The GOP had better take care not to get too cute with rhetoric on this issue: the misconception that the public is getting “free” health care can be eroded with steady message discipline but the perception that Hillary’s taking this issue seriously enough to formulate a detailed plan while Fred’s pulling his chin and spouting cracker-barrel wisdom isn’t as easily shaken. To borrow a phrase from a Clinton campaign of days gone by, it’s the competence, stupid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I noticed that about this particular ad. I wish Fred would start defending free enterprise health insurance and health care options.

RushBaby on September 19, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Are you still going to the Fred shindig tomorrow?

I think I’ll pass and let you go vicariously me.

Mcguyver on September 19, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Hollowpoint on September 19, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Far be it from me to even suggest it. The ugly part of this whole Mitt/Fred/Rudy/McCain argument is you all sound like a bunch of HuffPo-bots. I never hear anyone of you who attack Fred ever to anything but attack Fred. Why? Because all your ‘men’ are just as undefined on the issues as Fred.
All that mud you guys throw around seems to be mostly landing on you.

Limerick on September 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM

This is why I like Fred. He is NOT a typical politician spouting scripted answers!
Oh, and AS a Southerner, I love to hear him speak! Music to my ears.
Fredmentum baby!

Gatordoug on September 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Music to my ears.
Gatordoug on September 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM

“Well like my pappy used to say, under international law, you terrorist can avoid extradition for blowing up those people up so long as you just don’t travel outside of Libya. So, just follow my pappy advice and those Scot’s dog just won’t hunt…”

Ahh, music…

tommylotto on September 19, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Frankly I trust Thompson to be tough on terrorists way more than I trust any other candidate.

Gatordoug on September 19, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Just keep on talking talking talking about their (Dems) healthcare plan this,and their healthcare plan that..Have any plans of your own Freddy.???.or didn’t they write that script for you to read yet..

Legions on September 19, 2007 at 9:48 PM

I hate to upset the Fred lovefest but which states do his supporters think he is going to win in a general election? Colorado and New Mexico are at risk because of the expected backlash from the Legal Hispanic voters upset with the fearmongering that went on with the immigration bill. (Seehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/18/AR2007091801626.html) That is 14 electoral votes between the two. Iowa was only 10000 votes to the good for Bush and has 9 electoral votes. And then there is Ohio of course, with a 118,000 edge for Bush. To lose Iowa in addition to NM means Hillary wins. Of course if he loses Ohio..cancel Christmas.

What states does he put into play that Hillary has to spend a lot to defend? I count about zero.

take off the rose colored glasses. It would be a miracle akin to the US Olympic Hockey team beating the Russians if Fred won the nomination and the general election.

Bradky on September 19, 2007 at 10:17 PM

I love to hear him speak! Music to my ears.
Fredmentum baby!

Gatordoug on September 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM

You must have loved Bill Clinton then.

Bradky on September 19, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Seems as if the latest Fred news has dampened the groupies keyboards. The tears and all. But buck up!!! If Fred can continue his support in the south, Dobson’s non-political non-endorsement wont mean a dang thing.

csdeven on September 19, 2007 at 11:06 PM

You must have loved Bill Clinton then.

Ah, no, see I like Thompson’s CONSERVATISM, Clinton was not a Conservative. I would not call Clinton any Southerner either.
Thanks for that utterly stupid comment though.

Gatordoug on September 19, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Limerick,

Here is Mitt Romney’s health care plan.

Buy Danish on September 19, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Looks like Rudy and Mitt have given the issue some serious thought. Whereas Fred rambled in front of a web cam…

At least as long as he is campaigning he won’t be helping Libyan terrorists get away with killing people. That at least is something positive about his campaign.

tommylotto on September 19, 2007 at 11:50 PM

I see we have doubters here. Fear the Fred O unbelievers. He’s as close to Reagan, peace be upon him, as we’ll get in this election cycle.

Mojave Mark on September 20, 2007 at 12:05 AM

the vampire analogy falls flat though. nice little speech, but the vampire thing sucked. lorien1973 on September 19, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Pun intended?

Mojave Mark on September 20, 2007 at 12:15 AM

First Fred takes a daring stand against Castro in Miami, and now socialized healthcare in… his limo. He’s just full of surprises. But what about the tough issues? Like, how trafficked is his website? Highly-trafficked, you say? Awesome.

RightOFLeft on September 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM

how trafficked is his website? Highly-trafficked, you say? Awesome.

RightOFLeft on September 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM

It’s not the traffic, it’s the content that’s awesome. Something the Mitt-staken ones and the other Fred bashers don’t want to admit. The content is there.

Hey, guys, did it ever occur to you that a video is not the whole answer, but a teaser for the whole answer?

Nah, that would require extra thought.

Tennman on September 20, 2007 at 12:54 AM

Nah, that would require extra thought.

Tennman on September 20, 2007 at 12:54 AM

Just like “I’ll get back to you” is a teaser for Federalism man’s view on Terry Shiavo? How many times does he have to say “don’t call me, I’ll call you” before you stop hoping beyond hope that its not just a midget with a microphone behind a curtain?

BKennedy on September 20, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Oh, and AS a Southerner, I love to hear him speak! Music to my ears.
Fredmentum baby!

Gatordoug on September 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM

You must have loved Bill Clinton then.

Bradky on September 19, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Thanks for that utterly stupid comment though.

Gatordoug on September 19, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Say what you mean and mean what you say!

Bradky on September 20, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Hey elitists and RINOs: Fred! is your nominee. Conservative Americans will not elect a cross-dressing abortionist or a socialist from New England.

“Now, hush yer mout.”

saved on September 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM

BKennedy on September 20, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Never said he was perfect, BK. I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just like I gave your candidate yesterday on the GOP-Bashing Ad thread.

Tennman on September 20, 2007 at 5:50 AM

Mallard T. Drake on September 19, 2007 at 4:44 PM

I believe Giuliani was first when he bashed Hillary a few days ago for the Betray-us ad.
Not for one or the other. Just calling it like I see it, and I thought the same things when he did that.

silverfox on September 20, 2007 at 6:41 AM

RightOFLeft on September 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM

Don’t forget that he faced down Michael Moore too!

Woooooooo! Scary!

csdeven on September 20, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Tennman on September 20, 2007 at 5:50 AM

Personally I saw nothing wrong with the ad. The GOP does need a good talking to. I also noticed the subtle slight to Fred about “our ethics should not be a punchline for Jay Leno.” Did not like all the head movement though, that seemed irksome.

BKennedy on September 20, 2007 at 11:56 AM