Disgraced journalist wants $75 million for destroying network’s credibility

posted at 4:32 pm on September 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

Remember, he’s “big on personal responsibility.” From the Times:

Mr. Rather, 75, asserts that the network violated his contract by giving him insufficient airtime on “60 Minutes” after forcing him to step down as anchor of the “CBS Evening News” in March 2005. He also contends that the network committed fraud by commissioning a “biased” and incomplete investigation of the flawed Guard broadcast and, in the process, “seriously damaged his reputation.” As plaintiffs, the suit names CBS and its chief executive, Leslie Moonves; Viacom and its chief executive, Sumner Redstone; and Andrew Heyward, the former president of CBS News.

In the suit, filed this afternoon in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, Mr. Rather charges that CBS and its executives made him “a scapegoat” in an attempt “to pacify the White House,” though the formal complaint presents virtually no direct evidence to that effect. To buttress this claim, Mr. Rather quotes the executive who oversaw his regular segment on CBS Radio, telling Mr. Rather in November 2004 that he was losing that slot, effective immediately, because of “pressure from ‘the right wing.’”

Like Greg Pollowitz says, this is pure candy. Get him on the stand and let the CBS legal department go to work on him. They can start here with his pathetic buck-passing:

By his own rendering, Mr. Rather was little more than a narrator of the disputed broadcast, which was shown on Sept. 8, 2004, on the midweek edition of “60 Minutes” and which purported to offer new evidence of preferential treatment given to Mr. Bush when he was a lieutenant in the Air National Guard.

Instead of directly vetting the script he would read for the Guard segment, Mr. Rather says, he acceded to pressure from Mr. Heyward to focus instead on his reporting from Florida on Hurricane Frances, and on Bill Clinton’s heart surgery.

Your exit question quotation, from one of many stellar WaPo reports on the Rathergate fiasco published contemporaneously: “I have never been more confident of a story in my life.”

Update: “These complaints are old news and this lawsuit is without merit.”

Comments

This POS started all the fuss by accepting fake documents.

MaiDee on September 19, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Newsbusters needs to start monitoring his show on HDNET, Mark Cuban’s station. I’ve seen some of it, loads of leftist propaganda. about a month ago or so, Rather did a full report on the 2000 election trying to prove it was rigged because of the paper that was used for the Chad’s or some conspiracy with the company that made the ballots.

last night they had a segment on the Body Armor controversy that Bryan would’ve been interested in I think…

jp on September 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Blameless narrator.

I’m buying it.

Pay the man talking head his money.

ej_pez on September 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM

The judgement should be for $0.75. The is like the judge in DC suing the dry cleaner for losing his pants; it backfired on him. I hope CBS counter sues for its loss of reputation due to Rather’s partisan antics against President Bush.

apostle53 on September 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM

I think CBS ought to turn around and sue Rather for about five Billion dollars for the (further) hit Rather caused to CBSs credibility.

LegendHasIt on September 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Shouldn’t Rather just be thankful that Bush didn’t sue him for libel?

aunursa on September 19, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Oh, let’s hope this goes to trial, shall we? I would LOVE to see a parade of expert witnesses dissect that memo in a court of law.

Farmer_Joe on September 19, 2007 at 4:41 PM

apostle53 on September 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Great Minds Think Alike
(But some type faster. ;-)

LegendHasIt on September 19, 2007 at 4:41 PM

what he did was technically a federal crime I think? Trying to alter a presidential election with forged military documents…?

jp on September 19, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Farmer_Joe on September 19, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Oh yeah.

Aside from the vast amounts of cash it would waste, I totally agree.

Bob's Kid on September 19, 2007 at 4:46 PM

I hope he brings this to court. I’d like to hear both both Rather and his network try to explain their behavior.

High Desert Wanderer on September 19, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Well of course he was sure of this story. I mean, what kind of idiot votes for the Republicans? Except for the people from fly-over country who reflexively press “W” instead of “M”. Who never read books. And who watch movies and TV shows to be entertained instead of preached too.

Dan Rather, go away. You don’t count anymore.

mjk on September 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM

LegendHasIt on September 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM

That meathead Rather ruined CBS’s credibility and should be the one getting sued by CBS.

saiga on September 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Hey Dan, it wasn’t CBS that screwed up, it was YOU.

SoulGlo on September 19, 2007 at 4:49 PM

I’m trying to remember the penalty for “falsification of government documents”. I know it was rather severe… no pun intended.

Jonas Parker on September 19, 2007 at 4:50 PM

The defense calls Lucy Ramirez!!!

There’s no one here by that…

Exactly!

see-dubya on September 19, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Dan who?

Wade on September 19, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Get him on the stand and let the CBS legal department go to work on him.

…with tweezers and a blowtorch.

Kid from Brooklyn on September 19, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Courage.

thirteen28 on September 19, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Sound’s like Danny-boy has gone “Coo coo for Cocoa Puffs.”

“I’ll make totally unfounded,rick-diculous statements, get fired and then sue because I was a jackass.” I think OJ has a better chance….

I’ll bet that with Katie’s ratings in the septic tank, CBS might want him back!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 19, 2007 at 5:01 PM

CBS “News” lost it’s “credibility” decades ago – which, coincidentally, was the last time that I watched it. I don’t like propaganda, either from the Left or the Right – but, especially from the Left.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 19, 2007 at 5:02 PM

They should pay him with 70 million photocopies of a dollar bill. How’s he gonna know?

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2007 at 5:03 PM

So some CBS suit tells Dan that he’s out because of pressure from the right wing?

I think the real headline of the story is: MAINSTREAM MEDIA LISTENS TO RIGHT WING

Does anyone actually buy that? I hope we find out who this CBS exec is, because I’d love to know the name of the pathetic bastard that actually used that as an excuse when a much more viable excuse would have been – “You’re fired because your story was false and you idiotically defended it.”

Too bad we can’t fire Bush for the idiotic, false crap he defends…

Enrique on September 19, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Dan’s got a yacht to buy. I suspect he’s just hoping for a $25 mil settlement, and he’ll never have to actually follow through. But I would l-u-u-u-v to watch the trial.

eeyore on September 19, 2007 at 5:04 PM

I think AP created those national guard documents so he could become famous.

lorien1973 on September 19, 2007 at 5:05 PM

By this same token, shouldn’t Katie Couric sue Dan Rather for her low ratings? After all, if Dan hadn’t lied, some people might still trust CBS enough to watch it.

Enrique on September 19, 2007 at 5:06 PM

This is a dream come true. Finally he might be held accountable by someone. Get him on the stand, and teach him the difference between an interview and a cross examination.

Blaise on September 19, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Get in line Dan, right behind Imus.

I’m guessing CBS will counter, alleging Dan owes them 50 kazillion for causing the Perkie Katie debacle.

fogw on September 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM

We’ve already seen this headline:

Dan lied! CBS Paid!

BKennedy on September 19, 2007 at 5:10 PM

What’s the frequency, Kenneth?

bloggless on September 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Quick, someone call Ashton Kutcher.

- The Cat

MirCat on September 19, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Be careful what you wish for.

This could be a set up. Do you really think these parties are adverse?

After a few months, the parties will enter into an agreed final judgment which will contain a finding that the TNG memo was authentic.

Labamigo on September 19, 2007 at 5:15 PM

What’s the frequency, Kenneth?

bloggless on September 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Ever get the feeling that he really was a spy?

- The Cat

MirCat on September 19, 2007 at 5:15 PM

If this gets past the Discovery stage I’ll be pretty suprised.

I hope that networks have started putting “if you damage the network’s reputation you lose all rights” clauses in their news personel’s contracts.

Bad Penny on September 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Damn, how tragic! Has Michelle called the waaahmbulance yet?

Meanwhile, I’d like to look into launching a class action against CBS for subjecting the nation to 30-odd years of Andy Rooney.

Blacklake on September 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Hey Rather, You took a dump in your own nest. Stop trying to blame others. Oh, that’s right, you’re a freakin lib. Maybe Edwards can help you with your suit.

BobK on September 19, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Is Rather (and his legal team) really actually sure they want to open themselves up to discovery?

Kerry wisely let the statute of limitations lapse on his chance to go after the SwiftVets for just that reason. Do Rather and Mapes seriously want all of us find out exactly what did and didn’t happen?

I personally believe, such as, and the Iraq, that this is going to turn out to be about as wise as taunting police holding a taser. I think most U.S. Americans won’t like what’s revealed. Such as.

Professor Blather on September 19, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Shouldn’t Rather just be thankful that Bush didn’t sue him for libel?

aunursa on September 19, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Why? This grandiloquist helped Mr. Bush win a 2nd term.

Now, Mr. Kerry might be listening to ya…

Entelechy on September 19, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Professor, thans for being, and especially for being here on HA. You’re such a clear thinker, with a great sense of humor to top that off. Thank you, indeed.

Entelechy on September 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Professor Blather on September 19, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Amazing how you managed to make several current events references in a couple of sentences. Good job!

terryannonline on September 19, 2007 at 5:29 PM

LEAVE DAN ALONE!!

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Blacklake on September 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Holy crap, Andy Rooney’s only been on the CBS for 30-odd years??? I could have sworn I saw clips of him ranting at the pairs of animals from the bow of Noah’s Ark.

mjk on September 19, 2007 at 5:44 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dan rather Biased.

“Disgraced journalist wants $75 million for HELPING to destroy network’s credibility.”

CBS was doing a fine job of being a laughing stock long before danny boy gnawed his tongue.

locomotivebreath1901 on September 19, 2007 at 5:50 PM

I blame Rather for the demise of Allah Is In The House.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM

I blame Rather for the demise of Allah Is In The House.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM

I laud AP for the demise of Dan Rather.

Entelechy on September 19, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Courage.

thirteen28 on September 19, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Priceless.

omnipotent on September 19, 2007 at 6:05 PM

In his own words:
“Don’t bet the trailer money on it yet.”

Sergei on September 19, 2007 at 6:05 PM

No way this is getting to trial. Of course proving the memo fraudulent is a slam dunk, but remember the big cover-up was about where the memo CAME FROM. That would be a major factor in the issues the suit covers, and CBS would have to bring it in to defend themselves.

This is greymail. Rather is just playing chicken to squeeze a few bucks out of CBS. Rather might look like a jackass if this information gets out, but so what? His career is over anyway. The Network has a LOT more to lose than he does.

logis on September 19, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Who knew and when did they know about false documents?

I would love to see rather and cbs in court.

robo on September 19, 2007 at 6:16 PM

As the days begin to blur for Josh Howard, he embraces the same logic: “So much of this debate has focused on the documents, and no one has really challenged the story. It’s been frustrating to us to see all this reduced to a debate over little ‘th’s.”

That’s from the Washington Post article. The old fake but accurate. That kind of arrogance and elitism is what’s wrong with journalism today, well, that and the fact that most are far left wing fanatical kooks.

Capitalist Infidel on September 19, 2007 at 6:21 PM

And to think it only took 75 years to grow that ego…

d1carter on September 19, 2007 at 6:50 PM

What an idiot. He damaged his own credibility for being a dueche-bag and running a story so fake that a bunch of dudes sipping beers on the couch with their laptops figured it out in a couple short hours. Then he went on like a pompous clown to defend it for the better part of two weeks.

But of course it’s not his fault. Play the victim and sue.

Tell tail signs we were right all along – he’s a Liberal.

whatthecrap on September 19, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Courage hasbeen, courage

Kini on September 19, 2007 at 7:04 PM

When do we find out who made these document? This was a very serious crime and I want to see somone do some time! Time to open the gate on rathergate.

allrsn on September 19, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Jim Treacher….. Now that headline is HILARIOUS!!! Outstanding job!

commonsensehoosier on September 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Yes, a excellent headline-I recommend it to all

allrsn on September 19, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Could the investigation have been “fake, but accurate”?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on September 19, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Misleading headline detected.

How could Rather destroy that which had long since withered away?

stivv on September 19, 2007 at 8:17 PM

I would give anything to be the defense lawyer who gets assigned to this case. OMG, what fun!

SWLiP on September 19, 2007 at 8:34 PM

jp on September 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Maybe, but HDNet still rocks.

DaveS on September 19, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Gosh, all I can say is he must be desperate for attention in the limelight again. The word hubris keeps running through my mind.

Webutante on September 19, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Allah in the House’s demise was pre-Rathergate, iirc.

wordwarp on September 19, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Ratherisms – or how Dan talks

Rather’s 1996 quote to the Los Angeles Times on the chances of finding him still in the anchor seat after the 2000 election:You would sooner find a tall talking broccoli stick to offer to mow your lawn for free.”) It may be, as Bryan Curtis has written in Slate, that Rather is simply “barking mad,”

It might be what still drove him in 2004…

Entelechy on September 20, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Ratherisms from election nights 2004, 2002, 2000 - no wonder he’s deranged. And, he has do die like this.

Entelechy on September 20, 2007 at 12:28 AM

apostle53 on September 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Unfortunately for CBS, any claims they may make about their “reputation” being something they actually give a damn about went out the window when Katie Couric was hired as their nightly news anchor.

Mibrilane on September 20, 2007 at 1:07 AM

This from HotAir “About”, credits:

Allahpundit, Hot Air’s lead blogger, is a writer whose former website, Allah Is In The House, was among the most popular conservative blogs of 2004. He is cited in Mary Mapes’s book as one of the right-wing bloggers whose “wild and hateful claims” helped destroy CBS’s story about the Bush National Guard memos, which pleases him to no end. He can be reached at allah@hotair.com.

Must bring back memories doesn’t it, AP?

Mcguyver on September 20, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Thank you, thank you!

Jim Treacher on September 20, 2007 at 2:40 AM

I am still waiting for him to answer the one question he never answered: What’s the frequency, Kenneth?

pilamaye on September 20, 2007 at 10:28 AM