The life of Gloria

posted at 3:22 pm on September 16, 2007 by Michelle

As longtime readers know, I worked as a staff editorial writer and columnist for the Seattle Times several years ago. It was a strange, sometimes exasperating, but fruitful experience serving as the lone right-winger on a statist/center-left editorial board. Since leaving, I’ve had fun razzing the paper from time to time. But the newsroom has always had its share of talented reporters and editors. I still check the Times website every day. For the last several months, I’ve followed an extraordinary series by reporter Jerry Brewer and photographer Steve Ringman about a little girl named Gloria Strauss battling neuroblastoma. The series is about family, community, pain, endurance, and, above all, faith.

Here’s the latest installment. Scroll down for links to every part of the series, plus reporter’s journal entries and multimedia galleries. If you have the time, take the time to start from the beginning and read all the way through.

Gloria’s family blog is here.

Those of you in the Pacific Northwest won’t be surprised to learn that some Times’ readers have complained about the focus on the family’s daily prayer vigils and reliance on faith to get them through hard times. Editor Mike Fancher writes:

Given how personal this assignment has become, I felt I should ask Brewer and Ringman whether their own faith has affected or been affected by the story.

Brewer said his grandfather is a Baptist preacher and he grew up in a very spiritual family. “It’s still a factor in my life. It helps me feel the story. You’ve got to feel it.”

Brewer said that when the Strauss family prays, “I know the Bible passage they recite and what they mean.” But the Strauss family is Catholic. “We’re both Christians, but it’s a lot different,” he said.

Ringman said that he has not been a very spiritual person, but the story “opens an opportunity to feel God. It’s very moving and I’m surprised by that.”

A few readers have objected to the centrality of faith in the story. Brewer responds that many families use faith to help them through illness, but “very few newspapers have documented this feeling — religion, if you will — that is very strong and moving within lots of suffering families. By presenting what this family believes and focusing on it, I’m simply putting a mirror on them.”

His online journal is personal, but the stories that appear in the newspaper are told in an unbiased way with very little filtering, he wrote to one reader. “You’re left to make your own conclusions, and if you decide it’s bogus, that is perfectly fine.”

Brewer said he tries to focus on the universal elements of Gloria’s story. He added that one reader commented that what the Strauss family calls faith, that reader calls love.

Both Ringman and Brewer said they have been changed by this assignment.

“Problems seem insignificant compared to what I’ve witnessed in the Strauss family,” Ringman said. “My perspective on life really has changed, spiritually and even materially — love and our children are much more important.”

Brewer answered, “What hasn’t this story changed about my life? It’s literally changed everything. I’m a better man and a better journalist, and I realize even more so that the man comes before the journalist.

“Gloria’s life has an amazing integrity and authenticity to it, and that’s what I seek. In everything. I want to do things that really matter in life, especially connecting better with the people I love. I want to strengthen my own faith. And I want tell more stories like this that really affect the community in a heartfelt manner.

Religion is often treated with such condescension in the press. The Times deserves praise and recognition for its commitment to cover the life, heart, and soul of Gloria and the Strauss family. This is a local newspaper at its best.

Comments

Prayer is always good,and for these times we live in,
and for the Times to have it in the story,even better.
Amen.

canopfor on September 16, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Thank you.

lobosan5 on September 16, 2007 at 3:41 PM

correcion,I mean’t SeattleTimes.

canopfor on September 16, 2007 at 3:43 PM

“Prayer is always good” – canopfor

Depends on who you’re praying to and what you’re for. Given the context in which you speak CanOpFor, you’re right and your point is well taken. But if Achmed is praying to Allah the pagan Arabian moon god for success is killing infidels, then not so much.

Tony737 on September 16, 2007 at 3:49 PM

“Religion is often treated with such condescension in the press.”

Religion is often treated with such condescension in the press here at HotAir.com by a certain blog author and many of his commentor fans. But apparently Michelle Malkin is quite alright with the Christian-baiting here on her own site by one of her employees.

Whatever is good for views and comments. Just like the mass media. Whatever is good for ratings. Such has become of HotAir.com.

Michael in MI on September 16, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Money quote:

“In this culture of death, she teaches us all so much each day about life,” says John Miller, Gloria’s cousin.

Poor Gloria. What courage. And..awesome story. **adds to prayer list**

inviolet on September 16, 2007 at 4:11 PM

I guess AP doesn’t write for the Seattle Times, then.

andycanuck on September 16, 2007 at 4:12 PM

HotAir is one of the best blogs for believers and non-believers to exchange their points of view. I think the diversity of the beliefs of AP, Brian, Michelle, and See-Dubya are key to that.

pedestrian on September 16, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Get over yourself, really. If I had a nickel for every time someone’s asserted in the comments that atheists have no sense of morals or cast some similar aspersion on my character, I’d have that iPhone I’ve been wanting and money to spare for the service fee. You all give as good as you get. And it’s beyond stupid to claim that the religion threads are good for traffic. No one links them. There are no readers flowing into the site for those threads. If anything, they’re traffic poison.

I’ll be keeping an eye out in the many, many, many, many, many posts we write about Islam for your objections to religion-baiting there, Michael.

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Tony737 on September 16, 2007 at 3:49 PM

C.S. Lewis wrote in his allegory The Chronicles of Narnia that righteous actions made in the devil’s name are nonethless claimed by God as His own, and evil actions made in His name come from only one source, and that is Satan. To that end, prayers for success in the business of evil are not heard by God any more than assistance in helping your fellow man can be lent by the devil himself.

Spc Steve on September 16, 2007 at 4:28 PM

The Power of Faith.

Zorro on September 16, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, emphasis on “diversity.” Michelle’s point here, as I take it, isn’t that the media should never criticize religion. It’s that the media shouldn’t only criticize religion. You’ve got MM, Bryan, and occasionally See-Dub on this site, all of whom are believers, all of whom are fully capable and entitled to write about belief. Bryan’s done so before, quite eloquently. But one dissenting voice and some of you are overcome by the vapors. You’d think MM would get a little credit for employing someone who doesn’t walk in lockstep with most conservatives on that point and instead what does she get? People whining about “Christian-baiting.” She can’t win.

Just curious: how come no one objected to my atheist-baiting in this post?

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 4:35 PM

I dunno, is MM to be credited for giving equal time to an atheist? It’s not like we need to hear more of that. We got the MSM to bash Christianity if we want that point of view. We come to Hotair to get away from that, yet MM appoints an atheist as her main blogger.

Why stop there with the sensitivity training? We not bring on a leftist to blog as well. Maybe Noam Chomsky can be a guest contributor.

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Do you want that point of view? I.e., are you saying that you’ve already arrived at the appropriate level of “balance”? Or are you simply saying that you don’t want to hear that point of view from any quarter, at any time, under any circumstances? Fox News is pretty pro-religion. Why do you need blogs if you can get that point of view there?

Purge the atheists from conservatism, guys. Make it the quasi-religious party of your dreams. See what happens the next time there’s a close election.

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I wish you’d write on HotAir more often, Ms. Malkin. It adds something indefinable to this den of iniquity.

Not sure what it is, but I like it. And I like this story, too. You write with real feeling.

pedestrian on September 16, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Agreed. The diversity is what makes this place interesting. The truth is that when problems arise (at least in regards to religion), it’s coming from the comments and the commentators. The only real religion-baiting (well, the only Christian baiting) comes from a very few local trolls who could easily just be cheerfully ignored.

Atheists can be (and often are) as annoying as the hyper-religious. But atheists and agnostics and people of other minority faiths are really critical to conservatism at this point in history.

About my only real problem with atheism at HotAir is I just wish it didn’t come up so often. I don’t need to be reminded with every post who is atheist and who is a Mormon and who is a Scientologist. I think we’ve got who is on what side pretty much covered at this point.

(Come to think of it, if you’re going for diversity, a Mormon or Scientologist blogger’s perspective would certainly make things interesting …)

I personally wish we could get back to talking about religion as it relates to politics, rather than about religion in and of itself. It’s kind of boring. Either that or start one thread titled “Does God Exist?” and leave it pinned for the morons deep thinkers to go at each other forever and ever.

Bottom line: every time I get irritated at this place, I remind myself to smile – because it means I’m not in an echo chamber and not just listening to people tell me what I already think.

That’s a good thing. I think.

Professor Blather on September 16, 2007 at 4:49 PM

I think it’s odd that people so ardently dislike AP solely on the basis of his non-belief in a higher power. If I’m a Christian, am I allowed to religion-bait against Christianity? Better the devil you know, right?

Spc Steve on September 16, 2007 at 4:49 PM

I think you are OT. The topic is

Please do inform us of the actions of the R.O.P. Christianne Amanpour tried to draw some parallels too.

Just curious: how come no one objected to my atheist-baiting in this post?

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Because your readers by and large don’t object.

Good think you’re not a Vegan too. Anti-meat threads are weird.

JiangxiDad on September 16, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Correct. I have been subjected to it enough. Would be nice to come to a conservative blog where we are not subjected to more of that.

I, personally, am not all that religious, and don’t care for religious preaching, and don’t want a religious party, but Christianity-baiting is so Daily Kos, it should have no place on a site like this.

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Good think you’re not a Vegan too. Anti-meat threads are weird.

JiangxiDad on September 16, 2007 at 4:50 PM

It would certainly make it hard for him to toss out “red meat” threads.

“Fresh veggie” threads just wouldn’t be the same.

Professor Blather on September 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Are we really gonna have a theist/atheist slapfight on this thread? Honestly, set up another one for it, this isn’t the thread for it.

Bad Candy on September 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Just curious: how come no one objected to my atheist-baiting in this post?

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 4:35 PM

In the overall sense I’ve noticed a much more balanced and reasoned discussion of faith and atheism here than any place else.

Like Allah mentioned most people want to avoid the knock down drag out fights associated with those type of discussions including myself.

Speakup on September 16, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Even our dirt is as good as the roses

Kinda goes for HotAir too.

GoodBoy on September 16, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Updates on Gloria are the only reason I’ve been reading the Seattle Times recently.

What a loving, selfless child – thinking of others when most of us would be focused on ourselves. What a phenomenal family.

Her life is at once heartbreaking and inspirational.

anne on September 16, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Why did you bother responding? You shouldn’t have dignified that.

Agreed. Above all, we’re at least ALLOWED to discuss it here, where as such debate is often stifled elsewhere.

PRCalDude on September 16, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Bad Candy on September 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Agreed. A thread on the story of a family’s faith turns into a gripe-fest about our resident atheist (who didn’t even post the thread to begin with)?!

Get a grip. If you can’t deal with an atheist or three on this blog, how are you going to deal with them in your everyday life?

infidel4life on September 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM

I will remember this thread the next time HotAir commenters start with the Mormon-bashing.

WasatchMan on September 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM

pedestrian on September 16, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Amen. How boring it be if everyone here felt and believed the same way about everything.

infidel4life on September 16, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Michelle is right. It is tiring to see Christian faith belittled or totally ignored in the press. This is indeed refreshing. I guess there are still some honest news reporters left.

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 5:12 PM

It would be a great world if everybody did in fact believe the same way. What if everybody was patriotic, believed the WTC was not a conspiracy, respected this country, believed in property rights, not criminal rights, fought to make our civilization better and all the rest? What if? What if everyone thought like that? What a wonderful world.

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Rose, a more robust defense of Christianity is indeed a new story in America, well worth talking/writing about, and necessary in the face of resurgent Islam. Atheism, on the other hand, not so much.

JiangxiDad on September 16, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Amazing (especially coming from a newspaper or its writers), but welcome!

From the story:

From 1 Corinthians 13:13

But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

I am not what many refer to as a “Bible thumper,” but I do have a strong faith and a true belief in these three virtues.

Thanks, Michelle!

leepro on September 16, 2007 at 5:55 PM

What a great story! Thank you Michelle for bringing it to our attention! Too often we focus on what is wrong with our world, with the press, etc. Very nice to see reporting that is making a difference, not just in the community, but on the reporter! Nice to see Faith being represented for what it is… Everything for those who believe and hope where there is no hope.

Ordinary1 on September 16, 2007 at 6:57 PM

….fought to make our civilization better and all the rest?

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 5:19 PM

1. Islamists think they’re making civilization better, and so did men like Hitler. Their dreams for a better world haven’t turned out so well, have they?

2. I have to heartily disagree with anyone who thinks that we should censor Atheists because this is a “conservative blog”. If nothing else, it’s instructive to hear from “alternative” voices. We already quite get enough censorship from the Stalinist Left.

Buy Danish on September 16, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Exchange re hearing an atheists’s point of view:

Think of it this way:

1. As Christians, we want to understand how non-Christians think, and how they approach life issues, not so that we can evangelize each atheist we encounter (many atheists know the gospel and have rejected it, and we must respect that…God respects man’s choice to walk with Him or not to…so should we, because we are called to deliver the message, only the Holy Spirit can do the work of conversion.) But we also want to hear our atheists friends because we care about them, and if the opportunity ever arises that an atheist asks us why we believe, it’s good to know what common ground we have as a starting point of sharing the gospel.

2. As conservatives, we want to join forces with those who have our same goals of small government, federalism, lower taxes, respect for life, etc, regardless of religion. We want a large tent.

3. As free speech advocates, we WANT to hear opposing voices. Wanting not to even hear an opposing point of view means that we fear that point of view. Rather, we want to hear opposing voices to reasonably and logically debate issues. (I’m not talking about moonbats, of course…I’m only talking about REASONABLE and LOGICAL points of view worthy of engagement.)

I don’t even know what AP blogs that is so offensive…he’s an atheist, so what? How does that make his opinion invalid? How can we Christians who are bashed unendingly in the MSM feel justified in any way, shape or form to turn around and do that here to one of our own fellow conservatives? Isn’t that the definition of bigot?

I’m not trying to flame, I’m just saying as a Christian conservative free-speech advocate, all reasonable, logical points of view should be considered/discussed/challenged, because that enriches the community for all.

JustTruth101 on September 16, 2007 at 7:29 PM

JustTruth101 on September 16, 2007 at 7:29 PM

I think the answer to the hostility lies in the fact that reading and commenting here is not just an academic exercise for people, a way to exercise their brains on whatever topic is posted.

No, the people here have been driven away from the MSM, and need places like HA to hear what they don’t hear elsewhere.

So even though there are varied topics of greater and lesser importance, and even funny and silly ones, underlying the whole point of being here is something serious. How to beat Liberalism and radical Islam.

If not for those issues, I wouldn’t be here. So for me personally, posts that stray from those goals too much are less worthy of time.

So exactly how do so-called Christian-bashing posts help defeat Liberalism or radical Islam?

After the war, beat each other up if you’re still into it.

JiangxiDad on September 16, 2007 at 7:49 PM

It’s good to see a paper highlighted when they get it right.

- The Cat

P.S. As for the Allahpundit discussion, he handles religious/athiest, anti-religious, etc. matters (which some call baiting) with more tact and understanding than any athiest I know IRL. People need to stop attacking him. As a Christian, if someone hasn’t reached the understanding that You/I/We/Whoever have, state your case, pray for him and move on.

MirCat on September 16, 2007 at 7:50 PM

For a movement that harps on tolerance and diversity, liberals seem dangerously intolerant of intellectual and spiritual diversity.

Kudos to the Seattle Times.

petefrt on September 16, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Seems to me some of the commenters here make a bigger issue out of Allah being an atheist than Allah does. Maybe if those people wouldn’t start a flame war about “Allah the athiest” every time religion is mentioned at this site, religious discussions wouldn’t be so, well, unruly.

speed911 on September 16, 2007 at 7:54 PM

I hate to see Michelle’s wonderful post become a debate but I think the reason Christians see this site as hostile towards them is because AP said once that he didn’t understand why people would debate about something that is just a myth. So if he feels that way then why not limit this blog to politics and not quote Hitchens or post things about his books? Those kind of posts are going to get people arguing. But I really don’t see why that is so bad since we can pick which threads we want to comment on. If something is boring to Blather than he can look for a different subject.

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM

…all reasonable, logical points of view should be considered/discussed/challenged, because that enriches the community for all.

JustTruth101 on September 16, 2007 at 7:29 PM

AMEN. Oops, hope that doesn’t offend any Atheists.

Buy Danish on September 16, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Christians see this site as hostile towards them because someone dared to disagree with them about their faith? Wow, that sounds awfully islamic.

speed911 on September 16, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Those kind of posts are going to get people arguing.

The religion posts are one of the few types of posts where there’s any debate at all in the comments.

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM

If Allah said that, it was a pretty stupid thing to say, but I wouldn’t find it “offensive” per se.

Buy Danish on September 16, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Moral equivalence is not an argument. It is indeed a noble cause to make civilization better if what you are doing is what conservatives believe in which is to say, smaller government, better schools, academic freedom, a strong military, and fiscal restraint. How can you compare that to islamic terrorism or Nazis? Conservatism is not being championed by terrorism or gas chambers, nor is its goal the domination of the world. So that little bit of moral equivalence is right out of the left wing playbook.

Conservatives come to sites like Hotair so we don’t have to read nonsense like that. We can read that nonsense, and Christian-baiting, on the Huffington Post. That’s the point.

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Debate, in and of itself, isn’t the point. It’s only useful in honing a conservative ideology. If there’s a lot of agreement about something, it’s because it’s inherently logical and consistent with conservative ideology.

JiangxiDad on September 16, 2007 at 8:06 PM

I’m not the one complaining about the posts. I actually enjoy them. As AP said they are one of the few types that create arguments. We agree on most things, Hillary, democrats, terrorists, etc. My point is that if AP is going to post them than let us debate them. If he doesn’t want us to debate them than don’t post them. And if someone finds those posts boring or offensive than skip them and read the other posts instead. There is plenty here for everyone. I like a good debate. I am secure in my beliefs.

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 8:07 PM

If you want a monolithic paint-by-numbers right-wing site that never whispers an ill word of conservatism’s sacred cows, you have plenty of options in the blogosphere. Enjoy them.

You and I have different ideas of what makes a good blog, needless to say. This site isn’t about “honing a conservative ideology.” If it is, I missed the memo from MM.

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 8:09 PM

When all else fails, you always say, they’re my toys, and then reference to Mom. Was on the playground once too. Grow up.

JiangxiDad on September 16, 2007 at 8:12 PM

JiangxiDad on September 16, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Why all the disrespect for Allah? What has he said or done that offended you so much? I can understand if you have a difference of opinion, but you have crossed the freeway and taken the off-ramp to rude city.

speed911 on September 16, 2007 at 8:17 PM

So the Christian-baiting is fundamental to Hotair? By your decree?

Indeed I think it is odd, that for an editor who prides himself on the atheist mantle of holding religion in contempt, we never read any dissing of Hinduism or
Buddhism. If the editor really is committed to equal contempt of all religions, and not just Christianity, let’s read one dig at Hindus and one dig at Buddhists for every dig at Christians.

Then it would at least seem fair. As it is, that is the problem that Christians have with atheists. They only seem to go after Christianity, so atheism comes across more as a liberal political ideology than a mere philosophical viewpoint.

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 8:18 PM

When has Allah been guilty of Christian-baiting and what do you people consider to be Christian-baiting?

speed911 on September 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Allahpundit,

There are several things I probably don’t agree with you on but I still enjoy your work here in the site. When discussing politics not everyone is going to have the exact same beliefs but I think there are some general conservative beliefs that we all mostly agree on. I don’t want to be part of a cookie cutter party where every dresses and thinks alike.

terryannonline on September 16, 2007 at 8:25 PM

I am actually glad that AP is an atheist. Sometimes as a Christian, I’ll look at my post and be appalled at how mean spirited they can be read. I don’t mean anything by it, it is just how I feel as a believer of the Bible. Actually I wish I would post much less about Christianity – I don’t know what comes over me.

I think the MSM shies away from religion as to avoid ‘offending’ anyone. For goodness sake society has recently been afraid to name the season ‘CHRISTMAS’ for fear of offending. IT IS CHRISTMAS. Wishing a ‘Merry Christmas’ is a good thing even for non-Christians.

Kudos to the Seattle times for bringing this religion in a positive light series to the public. Religion is a powerful force in many lives.

As for the issues with Islamic Jihad. The problem with Europe is that they have avoided their Christian roots altogether. As a result, Islam is filling the void. MSM people who feel that speaking about and professing faith in Christianity will put off Muslims, but the opposite is true. MORE Christianity is the best defense against Islam. MOST muslims have not heard the Gospel as the New Testament explains it. I fully believe that given the opportunity, many Muslims would accept the Gospel of the NT. The best answer for Islamic Jihad is the telling and retelling of the Gospel of Jesus Christ – not out of hatred, or condescension, but out of the understanding that God created everyone AND gave everyone the opportunity of salvation through His Son. Muslims believe in the virgin birth of Christ (it’s in the Koran) – so from that implies Divinity.

God loves everyone (even you AP whether or not you believe it). . . that’s why He sent Jesus to us.

ThackerAgency on September 16, 2007 at 8:49 PM

MORE Christianity is the best defense against Islam.

My sentiments exactly. I will go one further. Whether or not God exists is irrelevant in the grand scheme for our society. That is only of personal interest. The salient point is that if you remove Christianity from any society, secular socialism will replace it, then Islam will replace that. That is how the dominoes fall. We are witnessing that in Europe. I don’t care for evangelicals or preachy Christians either, but I see in them a valuable resource to prevent what is happening in Europe, from happening to us over here. The cultural influence of Christianity, with all of its idiosyncracies, is critical to our cultural survival.

Since the greatest struggle of our time is the struggle against islamic hegemony, we need to be playing up Christianity, not belittling it, especially since belittling it is a classic left-wing meme. So for a conservative site that eschews leftist politics, and one which gives no editorial quarter to socialism, human secularism, marxism or islam, to have a secular atheist as the blogger, is disturbing to me. I feel it’s an intellectual indulgence that does not fit the times.

Anyway, that is all I will say on this issue. I’ve been busting AP’s chops for awhile and he’s been a good sport not to find a reason to ban me.

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 9:24 PM

No complaint about the 1000:1 ratio between digs at Muslims and digs at Christians, though, huh?

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Well, as usual, I see I’m invisible on this site and no one is going to answer my question. Enjoy your discussion.

Annie

speed911 on September 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 8:05 PM

It has nothing to do with moral equivalence. It has to do with people (or fanatics) being convinced that they are “doing the right thing” and it all being in the eye of the beholder. As such it’s kind of a slippery slope to use that argument.

I despise Islamofascism, and I believe that Western Civilization, thanks in great part to Christianity (or Judeo-Christian values) is the greatest thing that man has yet produced. I also believe that historically when atheism has been the prevailing philosophy the results have, and continue to, be abysmal.

That being said, censorship is not a conservative principle and not only am I wary of any desire to utilize it, I don’t even see the point to silencing liberals since the more they talk the more foolish they sound.

Buy Danish on September 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM

I enjoyed Michelle’s post. I do not enjoy Allahpundit-bashing. It is unwarranted. He is entitled to his views, which he expresses well.

What is the purpose of debate if not to persuade? And how can we do that if free speech is stifled?

Connie on September 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Islam we can all agree on, you know that. Islam is a cancer. I have yet to see the atheist in you find fault with Buddhism or Hinduism. I will keep count of that ratio.

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM

But we don’t see that in Christianity as we see that in Islam, so use that angle?

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Hey, I’ve not seen any less-than-respectful treatment of Christians or Christianity here, thankfully.

What I hope to continue to see here is not identity of beliefs, but respect for the individual integrity of others, insofar as the beliefs are honest, good faith and reasonable.

petefrt on September 16, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Buddhism

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Allahpundit on September 16, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Okay, this is getting silly.

There is no reason to bash Buddhism or Hinduism that I know of, unless you can demonstrate that they pose some sort of threat, like Islamofascism. Indeed, if there are any Buddhist or Hindu readers of Hot Air, I’d be very interested in hearing from them if they are conservatives.

But saying that because you do so much Muslim bashing it’s okay to bash Christians once in a awhile is a pretty weak argument. Just because you beat up a bunch of bad guys doesn’t mean that you are now obligated to go after some good guys just to be fair.

Buy Danish on September 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM

speed911 on September 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM

I think they mean the pictures of the raw steak when AP puts up a post he thinks will there will be a lot of commenting on.

I think no one answered your question because only a minority here actually think it is Christian-baiting.

pedestrian on September 16, 2007 at 9:53 PM

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Leftists think that if we “do the right thing” the world would be peachy keen, there would be world peace, and we would live happily ever after. But their ideas of what we need to do get there are abhorrent, and what they would do “for the greater good” could mean the end to civilization as we know it if we permitted them to institute their grand plans for all of us.

However, we cannot win by silencing them. We have to win by having better ideas.

As threatening as they appear at the moment, aren’t groups like Moveon.org ultimately going to self-destruct because they don’t tolerate dissenting opinions?

Buy Danish on September 16, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Allah,

I think a post in which atheists suggest that other atheists may be going too far in their criticism of religion isn’t exactly parallel to asking “Where was God during the VT massacre?”. I see several differences. So in answer to your question…Why didn’t anyone protest the atheist post? Cause it was pretty weak tea as far ideological indictments go.

That aside, you’re one of the best conservative bloggers on the web and we’re lucky to have you. In fact, if you put up an iPhone donation badge, I’ll contribute.

John on September 16, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Man, I cannot believe Allahpundit posted yet another of these stupid Christian-baiting threads …

What?

Huh?

Michelle Malkin posted the thread?

Oh. Well, it was probably a ramble designed to bait Christians!

What? It wasn’t? What was the post about, anyway?

Oh. Mainstream media treatment of Christianity?

Ah ha! So that’s it. It was just echoing the media bashing Christians, so really it’s just Michelle baiting Christians by proxy for Allahpundit by echoing the media. I knew it!

What?

Huh?

What do you mean … the article was fair to Christians? It reported faith in a good light?

Weird.

Well, anyway, getting back to atheism …

—————-

Shorter version: barf.

I blame the Mormons.

Professor Blather on September 16, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Wow…a post about a kid with cancer and it devolves into a theist/atheist slapfight, good job.

Bad Candy on September 16, 2007 at 10:41 PM

“Prayer is always good”.

Depends on who you’re praying to
and what you’re praying for…

Tony737 on September 16,2007 at 3:49PM.

Tony737,yup your right,I believe,and Im Anglican.
I’m going to go on a limb here,whoever Achmed is praying
to is a false G!d,because the one he’s praying to is full
of hate and suicide.

canopfor on September 16, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Why are Bad and the Professor so bothered by this? Did they even read the comments? Michelle puts on a post about this child as an example of the msm doing a story without demeaning the beliefs of the family. Someone comments that it would be nice if Hot Air didn’t demean people of faith. We have been discussing that statement. Why is that not appropriate? Some people here have commented on this precious girl’s faith and others have commented on Michelle’s statement about getting the story right. But it all ties in with people’s attitudes towards people of faith. That is what is being expressed.

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 10:55 PM

A noob’s two cents: I like Allah and to me he seems generally very respectful to people of faith, actually more than most atheists I know (sorry, Allah, if this sounds stereotypical but it’s just my own experience).

He’s got a lot of integrity and his posts/comments show he cares about what’s true, not what’s convenient. Totally conservative, and he’s a bloggin’ machine to boot!

In fact, if you put up an iPhone donation badge, I’ll contribute.

John on September 16, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Seconded. Allah, why don’t you put one up? You’d get an iPhone in no time flat. Go on, you deserve it.

inviolet on September 16, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Rose, I’m sorry, even if it is relevent, I think its inappropriate to engage in a flamewar on a thread about a story like this one.

I think we should just take in the message of the story, it seems disrespectful to have the fight here, we oughta be focusing on the kid’s fight, not our own fights. It just seems needless when people can have this fight anywhere else at nearly anytime.

Bad Candy on September 16, 2007 at 11:05 PM

I appreciate what you are saying, but it was not started as a flamewar. People were just responding to a poster’s concerns that AP is not as sensitive as Michelle is praising this reporter as being. Discussions often meander. I don’t think it was meant as being disrespectful I’m sure that most of the people here have lost loved ones to cancer. I have. I don’t think anyone here is missing the tragic aspect of this post.

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 11:09 PM

The big difference at Hot Air,is that we are Tolerant,
we don’t go into the gutter in a scream match,we leave that
to the emotional,name calling bigoted left.
Allahpundit,I didn’t know you were an athiest,but honestly,
like who cares,were all on the same team,right!

canopfor on September 16, 2007 at 11:20 PM

jihadwatcher on September 16, 2007 at 9:24 PM

I meant to say earlier that I agree with you completely about this.

Buy Danish on September 16, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Allahpundit is the lead blogger here for a reason. Several reasons, actually: He’s smart, funny, engaging, funny, addictive, combative, contrarian, prickly, funny, and, oh, the hardest working man in the blogosphere.

We disagree about many things. We agree about more.

If you can’t take heat and give it back, on religion or any other matter, get out of our kitchen.

Thank you.

By the way, the series on Gloria is really very touching. Good way to get some perspective.

Michelle on September 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM

So it is obviously ok to have the kind of discussions that we are having here.

Rose on September 16, 2007 at 11:58 PM

I am not a believer in the ‘power of prayer’, but why in the world would the Times’ readers *complain* about this story about prayer vigils for little Gloria? The paper is reporting a story, a human events story, about a human being who believes differently then the average Times Reader. I don’t for the life of me understand what is so offensive and shocking.

HeIsSailing on September 17, 2007 at 12:20 AM

There are just some people who can’t stand to see faith portrayed in a positive light. They only want Christians portrayed as fanatics and not as sympathetic people.

Rose on September 17, 2007 at 12:25 AM

Michelle on September 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Showing my FR roots, I’ll bump your post, if you don’t mind.

Connie on September 17, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Annie
speed911 on September 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM

My #1 rule is to comment based on what I think….no matter whether or not someone else believes it or even comments on it.

You simply have to have backbone and no knee jerk reaction to response/no response from others and love debate to survive in here…..this is the debate kitchen after all.

Mcguyver on September 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Ditto that..

Thank you.
Michelle on September 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM

I’m using your quote over and over when appropiate…..I’m sure you won’t mind.

Mcguyver on September 17, 2007 at 11:17 AM