Video: Geraldo apologizes to Michelle on the Factor

posted at 9:00 pm on September 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s best if I let the boss speak for the site on this one. I’ll update when she posts about it.

Apologizing on national television for telling a national newspaper you want to spit on one of your colleagues. There’s something you don’t see every day, huh? Exit question: Will this make him Monday’s worst person in the world?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Michelle and her husband should take a trip to New York, or wherever Geraldo is presently squatting ( video camera in hand ) and have him apologize in person. At least that’s what I would do if such a creature threaten to spit on my wife.
His apology was as sincere as one of Hilary Clinton’s promises.

RMR on September 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Officer O’Reilly stopped Gerald from pulling a fast one. The original wording was “I apologize”. This is a pet peeve of mine. Saying (or writing) the words “I apologize” is not an apology.

We can say that he apologized, because those words describe an apology, but it wasn’t really an apology until he said the words that Bill pretty much forced into his mouth: “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that, and I’ll do my best to keep from doing anything like that ever again.” If you don’t say those words, or something pretty close, and at least act like you mean them, it isn’t an apology.

Twice Bill asked him if he was really sorry, and twice Gerald said he was really sorry, the second time ending with “and it will never happen again”. But several other times, he recited the formula “I apologize”, which isn’t an apology any more than saying “I intend to resign my Senate seat” is a resignation. We’ve got to learn not to let people substitute the symbol for the substance, or we’ll keep getting fooled by manipulators.

The Monster on September 16, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Eh. A so-so apology at best. MM will probably accept it because she’s a much better person than I am.

The best part of this is that his outburst has shown him for the juvenile, petty person that he is. And, apparently FOX, O’Reilly, Hannity, et al are sick and tired of all the angry emails I am sure they have been receiving about Geraldope.

Oh, and hearing him booed at Tuesday’s Freedom Concert was one of the highlights of the night.

IrishEi on September 16, 2007 at 12:24 AM

I see Michelle has taken the quote off her front page. I guess that constitutes apology accepted?

As for Geraldo, while I would not spit on him, I do fart in his general direction.

Blacklake on September 16, 2007 at 12:27 AM

IrishEi on September 16, 2007 at 12:24 AM

You are the one that originally reported this,
refer to my post at:
Mcguyver on September 14, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Mcguyver on September 16, 2007 at 12:29 AM

I believe the “heavyweight” that came down on Roger Ailes and et al like a ton of bricks was “freedom concert” himself.

I mean think about it – all this time passed – before the apology then, WHAMMO! The booing happens, then Mea culpa.

Exit question: What would Fox News be without the “H” in H&C?

I think you get my drift…

Mcguyver on September 16, 2007 at 12:37 AM

madmonkphotog

I did not read what you posted. I never read something that is in all caps. I bet allot of other readers skipped your post for the same reason. If you want to be read, do not post in all caps. Few people will read it. Just a suggestion. Do with it as you wish.

MalkinFan on September 16, 2007 at 3:00 AM

And yes, I see MM did take the quote off her website. Good move. I still think her best move is the lack of comment on it all. Just my opinion, but I know what ever she decides, it will likely be classier than anything I would do. (Think baseball bat).

MalkinFan on September 16, 2007 at 3:04 AM

I have no respect for Mr. Rivera. I give no importance to the words that come out of his mouth, whether they be insult or apology.

coldshot on September 16, 2007 at 6:27 AM

The guy looked pretty sorry. I think he was sincere.

pc on September 16, 2007 at 8:46 AM

General Patton utterly blew his cool

The difference being that Gen. Patton was on OUR side.

oldleprechaun on September 16, 2007 at 1:22 PM

He was probably told to apologize, but ultimately it’s up to Michelle if she wants to forgive him or not.

Esthier on September 16, 2007 at 3:59 PM

The guy looked pretty sorry. I think he was sincere.

pc on September 16, 2007 at 8:46 AM

Not sorry. Caught and called out. He didn’t apologize–where was Michelle? He can no more apologize to Bill than we can forgive him, as his offense was toward Michelle. He didn’t even mention her name, as in: “Michelle, please forgive me for…”

Plus which, saying “I’m not a spitter” undoes whatever good his feeble attempt at an apology might have accomplished. “I apologize, but gosh I didn’t really mean it–I wasn’t really going to do it” doesn’t count as taking responsibility for one’s actions, recognizing the hurt one has caused, and owning up to it.

He may not actually know how to apologize. Many don’t.

TexasDan on September 16, 2007 at 4:20 PM

He apologised on national t.v. He said he was sorry, he felt terribly, they are on opposite sides of the issue, and even though he thinks she is totally wrong on the subject, he respects MM. Enough. Move on. It takes a big person to actually apologise, and I think it would be a cold day in hades before someone like Obeliar ever apologised.

Pam on September 16, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Good for Geraldo, I am glad he apologized. He is misguided on the immigration issue, but he is entitled to his opinion, but when he debates I still watch him, but I am glad he apologized. Michelle is awsome

Mark

“Everybody in politics lies, but [the Clintons] do it with such ease, it’s troubling.”

David Geffen – Former Clinton supporter and Hollywood mogul

mark24609 on September 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Geraldo wants to keep his yob!

TheSitRep on September 16, 2007 at 9:38 PM

I had no idea Michelle was a mother. I guess I am not the Malkin sicophant I thought I was.

Sensei Ern on September 17, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Pam & mark24609 and others on September 16, 2007

He never apologized to Michelle, he apologized to O’Reilly for his comments about Michelle.

If he was a real man, he would have had Michelle on and apologize to her face…and not preface it by whining that Michelle called him a liar.

right2bright on September 17, 2007 at 12:24 PM

I do not ever remember Michelle calling GR a ‘fool’ and a ‘liar’. When you have such an enormous command of the facts you don’t need to resort to name calling. I just think GR was projecting onto Michelle the same behavior in which he indulges since he has never figured out how to do otherwise and so assumes everyone behaves the same as he does.

dbdiva on September 17, 2007 at 2:02 PM

right2bright on September 17, 2007 at 12:24 PM

He looked at, and spoke to, the camera.

Apologizing on national TV, and not making any excuses while doing it — to me, that is a sincere apology.

Who knows, maybe he is enough of a gentleman to apologize from a distance, so as not to make the lady feel uncomfortable.

jimbo2 on September 17, 2007 at 6:06 PM

I watched this on the Factor…I thought Geraldo was sincere. I appreciated it. I hope that Michelle does as well.
The hate for geraldo in these comments is surprising to me. Like things I read over at the Huffington post…Come on. The man is human. He admitted to being human. Lighten up.

bridgetown on September 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Lighten up? Please. This kind of thinking irks me. Why equate ourselves with the Huffington Post?!

Like O’Reilly always says, “You don’t point to bad behavior to justify bad behavior”.

Clearly, the “I’d spit on her..” comment was seen in most media forums and all over the internet (including on MSNBC’s wannabe UltrawoMan). This “apology” was most likely induced by FOXNews for the sake of saving face. I can’t believe he scoffed when pressed about his sincerity…
Geraldo I’ve never liked, especially after suggesting I was an “Amnesty Nazi”.

Michelle deserves a personal confrontation/apology on The Factor (which she co-hosts regularly and does a much better job in taking her guests to task in the No Spin Zone); this is long overdue and, while they may have offered, Mustache has the chance to fully and truly apologize to his OWN audience on At Large. It’s the least he could do.

He appeared irritated, didn’t come across as sincere, and as someone above pointed out, you don’t say “I did it because SHE did this to ME”…

I personally don’t accept his apology (as a loyal fan of MM); however, it’s not for me to defend her. I have the utmost respect for her and think she composes herself very well. I’ve mentioned this many times on my own site (under construction..) and believe she’ll have her own program within a year.

I’m sure she’ll “accept” it and do her best to avoid him in the future. Surely she knows and understands his motives.

On another note: I’ve recorded and watched all but four or so episodes of The O’Reilly Factor in over 5 years; I don’t recall her ever saying anything remotely close to the words he puts in her mouth here. A “fool” and a “liar”? Way off, but whatever he’s referring to is a far cry from the terms he uses to rationalize his attack on her.

Someone pointed out he went UP a rung on their ladder as a result of apologizing; I can only say (due to this and his betrayal of U.S. law and it’s citizens) I’d cut the rung below him out and let him fall as fast as his popularity will let him. His only hope is achieving the MLK status of the Latino Movement he seeks at the expense of honest, Legal Americans.

nationspatriotcom on September 17, 2007 at 6:15 PM

First and foremost — so I don’t get flamed or worse, banned — I am a HUGE fan of MM. I’ve been reading her blog for years, and have been reading HA from its inception. All that being said, MM did indeed say some pretty nasty things about Geraldo:

He can no longer dismiss all immigration enforcement proponents as racists without looking like a fool or tool, because there are countless, vocal numbers of them like me who have skin as brown as his. He cringes because he knows I’m not alone. He cringes because I’ll call out his bullcrap to his face without feeling any need to soften the blow or suck up in a collegial manner. He’s a know-it-all who knows nothing about the deportation abyss–and he masks his fundamental ignorance with incoherent indignance.

Geraldo is worse than worthless.

So the Mustache wasn’t really lying when he said the stuff about “fool” and “liar” — although he paraphrased a bit. His apology was definitely not an apology; it was an excuse. However, it’s entirely up to MM whether or not it is accepted. I’ll never agree with GR’s position on many things, and I always turn the channel when I hear his voice, but I think it’s time to move past all this.

lan astaslem on September 18, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Just a concern…Michelle has not commented on the apology and, last night, she was not in her usual spot alongside KP. Is something going on?

Blaise on September 18, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I would feel better if he went to Iraq and spit on a few al-qaeda to make up for it

That would prove both his sincerity and that he was a real man

Or, he could go spit on the border fence, all 12 miles of it to show his sincere support of amnesty. That would be worthwhile

He could spit on some of the recalled toxic pet food to show both love of animals and hatred for improper food regulation

How about spitting on anopheles mosquitos to show his hatred of malaria?

There is no end to the good he could do with his spit if he put his heart and soul into it

Give the guy a chance to prove himself

There is a whole world out there Geraldo, have at it

entagor on September 18, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Wow… Its too bad some people dont take an appology well. I though that the stash man did ok on this one. Even though I think he may a complete tool on immigration.

bigskinny on October 11, 2007 at 7:31 PM