History made: Hatch rips “the nutroots” on the Senate floor

posted at 3:03 pm on September 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

Proof positive that someone in the corridors of power is reading right-wing blogs. The money quote is in the last 30 seconds.

Someone really needs to research the etymology of this term. Who deserves the glory? Who, I ask you. Click the image to watch.

hatch.jpg

Comments

I really think a national debate is begining, about power, politics and money.

There is too much corruption, and too many get ahead by slandering and lieing… there is a reason that neither the congress, or the administration, have approval ratings…

And yet, the Two Parties are just going to try to give us more of the same…

Sad…. very sad.

Romeo13 on September 12, 2007 at 3:10 PM

How many democrats will admonish MoveOn.org?

I suspect none.

Kini on September 12, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Ooh… someone’s moving up in the world, eh? And now the door is busted open! One word: COPYRIGHT!!!

It should be noted that was pretty eloquent on Hatch’s part. Lately he’s done more spewing than speaking.

wccawa on September 12, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Pure gold.

The nutroots are going to go, well, nuts.

Can’t wait for the cheesy Mormon jokes…

JammieWearingFool on September 12, 2007 at 3:16 PM

who did come up with nutroots?

lorien1973 on September 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Speaking truth to nuts.

saint kansas on September 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM

If Ted Olson is not nominated for Attorney General then Orrin Hatch should be. Both are men of integrity and honesty and either of them would make an excellent replacement for that Gonzales guy. He was a disaster!

OBX Pete on September 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM

who did come up with nutroots?

lorien1973 on September 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I believe it was Rosie’s hairstylist.

Limerick on September 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Awesome.

Every time I see or hear Sen. Hatch I can only think of him having to talk about hairs on Coke cans at the Clarence Thomas hearings.

Alas, now this beautiful sound and sight replaces that horrible memory.

Brat on September 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Two questions:

1) Did you really coin that particular phrase?

and

2) Did MoveOn seriously issue their stupidity *before* Patreus even gave his report?

Professor Blather on September 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Still going after the wrong people. Moveon said it directly in an ad. The Dem leadership has said the same things over the last two weeks. They just didn’t say betrayus.

These aren’t the nutroots, they are the Dem party.

sunny on September 12, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Heh. He said “nutroots.”

baldilocks on September 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Excellent!

Catie96706 on September 12, 2007 at 3:28 PM

I deal with folks involved in public service in New England most of the day, and there is an amazing amount of angry discussion going on in the blue states by normally Democratic supporting people who are getting sick of Democrats. These are discussion that I agree with but can’t get them to stop talking about once they start.

* 9/11 being ignored yesterday by most Americans
* Trufers
* Chinese manufacturing
* Guys named Brad in India doing phone tech support
… and a new perspective on Iraq being a must win.

The nutroots are making this attitude happen since the Republicans don’t fight publicly for what is right and plain folk sees anything the nutroots are doing as being offensive and brings other topics to the forefront.

“Nutroots” needs to get into the spell checker.

Hening on September 12, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Dean Barnett says he may have coined nutroots.

JammieWearingFool on September 12, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Bring. Back. Traditional. Punishments!

1 scaffold, 4 horses, and a bit of rope is all we need (ok, well per person).

I am questioning their patriotism and humanity. They are shills for the worst tyrants and mass murderers in world history. Ongoing efforts to aid and abet crimes against humanity by leftists and salafists need to be appropriately rewarded!

libertarianuberalles on September 12, 2007 at 3:33 PM

“Who deserves the glory? Who, I ask you.”

All glory to God, Allah. You should know that.

Jaibones on September 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM

money

yo on September 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I won’t be satisfied until someone [on the floor of Congress] calls the Democrat leadership what it is – America hating, Communists.

I won’t be holding my breath.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 12, 2007 at 3:43 PM

I won’t be holding my breath.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 12, 2007 at 3:43 PM

They should simply call to close every debate on the floor. Stating, “there is no reason to debate those who get their talking points from terrorists.”

sunny on September 12, 2007 at 3:47 PM

What’s great about this is the Dems can’t publically condemn Orrin Hatch for saying this. To do so would reveal instantly who it is they really agree with.

Zetterson on September 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Excellent. I also love it every time Michelle says “nutroots” on O’Reilly. There are a lot of normal people who aren’t political junkies (like us) who don’t realize just how insanely venomous these leftists are. Anything that increases that awareness is a good thing.

ReubenJCogburn on September 12, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Relativism is sinking us again. NutRoots.org believes they can make up their own facts without any observation or measurement. If they print it, it must be true, right? Isn’t that what Television Marketing is all about?

desertdweller on September 12, 2007 at 3:51 PM

If I recall correctly, about 10 years ago, National Review ran a cover with Orrin’s face on it, along with the words “Latter-Day Liberal?”.

I consider that question powerfully answered. It’s all the more satisfying that this is coming from the same state as Harry Reid.

MadisonConservative on September 12, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I am glad to here someone “call a spade a spade”. If an organization acts nutty, talks nutty, etc. then the term “nutroots” is more than appropriate. Actually moveon.org is much worse than this.

duff65 on September 12, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Dammit…I meant the state above.

MadisonConservative on September 12, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Give them hell senator . . . then dig the sawdust pit and we’ll all jump into it with the “nutroots” and see who’s able to crawl out last.

rplat on September 12, 2007 at 3:56 PM

The funny thing is, that if Spector is calling Moveon out on the basis of their calling Patraeus a liar, he’s also calling out Kennedy and Shumer, and Clinton, who did exactly the same thing in more veiled way. When Clinton says you have to “suspend reality,” in order to find Patraeus report credible–I’m sorry–that is calling Patraeus a liar. When Kennedy says that Patraeus’ testimony was written by political operatives, while Patraeus maintains that his report is made up of his own words, that is calling him a liar. When Shumer says that things are improving in Anbar Province “in spite of the surge, not because of it,” while Patraeus says that the improvement can be credited to the surge, that is tantamount to saying that Patraeus is a liar. No, more than Moveon, I think that Spector was giving it to the 3 (hundred) stooges.

smellthecoffee on September 12, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Hening on September 12, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Interesting.

OT, when I see people like Orrin Hatch and Mitt Romney speak, it’s clear that they are not kooks, no matter how many people think their religion is “weird”.

On the other hand, there are plenty of orthodox Christians who are kooky as can be (Ron Paul comes immediately to mind) yet very few people think that Christianity is weird (other than people like Christopher Hitchens).

Therefore, I think it’s fair to say that it really doesn’t matter what your religious beliefs are, and it should not be a litmus test for governing (with the caveat being that you must believe in the founding principles of our Republic, and the institutions and traditions that support it).

Buy Danish on September 12, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Liberals are the enemy within. Good to see some other people are starting to catch on.

jdawg on September 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Thank You, Senator Hatch.

The Ugly American on September 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Heh. He said “nutroots.”

baldilocks on September 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM

LMAO.

“…they are called the ‘nutroots’ of our society. They are nuts!”

Oh, man, can you just imagine what that little twinkie Kos is sputtering right now…

Jaibones on September 12, 2007 at 4:07 PM

And KP dismisses the Hatch comment as rightwing pandering because the nutroots assclowns are irrelevent in three, two, one …

Jaibones on September 12, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Hening on September 12, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I really think the far left has pushed too hard lately. Whether they want to admit it or not, the majority of the voters in this country lean conservative, and they only hold both houses because of the situation in Iraq.

There will eventually be a backlash from the moderates and the DLC types of their party. The only question is how much damage can they do before the 2010 and 2012 elections, since it’s looking more and more like they’ll hold all 3.

BadgerHawk on September 12, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I sent an eMail to Senators Casey and Spector (my ‘a$$clowns’) and asked both to condemn MoveOn’s ad.
No response from Spector but Casey sent me a memo detailing his Iraq visit and how much he supports the troops but nary a word about the ad. Yaaarrrrrgh!
I’m also waiting about the Dims response to Dennis K’s comments while he was visiting Syria and his ‘BFF Bashir’.
I don’t think I’ll hold my breath waiting for any of them to take him to the woodshed either.

dbdiva on September 12, 2007 at 4:20 PM

BadgerHawk on September 12, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Yes, and they already have a fortune in the DNC coffers and elsewhere. What is being returned is peanuts and I’m sure there are a lot of other Norman Hsus running around with their phony companies that are nothing but money laundering operations.

Buy Danish on September 12, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Wow, nice speech by Hatch.

Clark1 on September 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Move over Gutfeld, there is a new Worser Person in the World I suspect…

saltydogg14 on September 12, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Hatch rips “the nutroots” on the Senate floor

Wait, did another Senator quote Glenn Greenwald(s) on the Senate floor?

Veeshir on September 12, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Senator Hatch made me proud to have voted for him yet again. A great day for Utahns :)

Dammit…I meant the state above.

MadisonConservative on September 12, 2007 at 3:52 PM

And not trying being rude by correcting you but we are(Salt Lake city)actually east of Reid’s state :) with the exception of Vegas area that is south just below our southern border.

Ravenlike on September 12, 2007 at 4:44 PM

I’d be more impressed if it didn’t look like he was speaking to an empty room.

jeffshultz on September 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM

I’d be more impressed if it didn’t look like he was speaking to an empty room.

jeffshultz on September 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM

If every seat had been full of members of Congress, it’d still be an empty room.

OhEssYouCowboys on September 12, 2007 at 5:11 PM

There is an interesting point in Sen. Hatch’s comments. The ad was printed in the NY Times, which made it libel. I don’t know enough about US libel law to assess whether a general is a so-called “public figure” such that the “malice” defence applies If it does not, and he stands as a normal, non-politician or celebrity, it would be great to see him take a run at the Times for printing the libel.

Blaise on September 12, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Ravenlike on September 12, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Never actually been out there, so my apologies for any errors that bug locals. Completely understandable. :)

MadisonConservative on September 12, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Professor Blather on September 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Yes they did.

ArmyAunt on September 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Fantastic! It’s about time our elected representatives started calling a spade a spade.

Troy Rasmussen on September 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM

OK you know what. I never liked Senator Hatch’s stance on Internet file sharing and his idea of remotely destroying computers or some such. But I’ve now found a whole new respect for the guy.

“These people are nuts” indeed.

Ryan Gandy on September 12, 2007 at 8:01 PM

who did come up with nutroots?

lorien1973 on September 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I believe it was Rosie’s hairstylist.

Limerick on September 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM

You gotta admit there’s some great comedy on this site. I love it.

Ernest on September 13, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Where is the link to the vote on letting 1000s of Mexican trucks come to the US without checking for safety or cargo? Is this too close to the NAU story to cover?
I want to know who the 20-some Repubs were that voted to let them come thru…but I have a feelin’ that their excuse would be: ‘cuz ya know, WE get to go to Mexico in our trucks!’ Ye-haa!

Christine on September 13, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Correction, clarification: the truck deal is part of the NAFTA, which Billy Jeff started and that Dubya must push thru.
NAFTA is a longer name for the NAU.

Christine on September 13, 2007 at 11:14 AM