Video: 9/11 was a “failure of human understanding,” says Mass. governor; Update: “[W]e are all part of the same human story,” says NY governor

posted at 6:50 pm on September 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

Thanks to Radio Equalizer for this. Here’s Mitt’s successor, Deval Patrick, transparently ducking the hard lessons of 9/11 by generalizing the attacks to a point of such pure, “tolerant” abstraction as to make what he says both totally indisputable and totally meaningless. Quote:

“Among many other things, 9/11 was a failure of human understanding,” Patrick said. “It was a mean and nasty and bitter attack on the United States. But it was also a failure of human beings to understand each other, to learn to love each other.”

He’s right, 9/11 was a failure of understanding. So was the argument I had with the barista the other day at Starbucks when he gave me the wrong change. So was, and ever will be, every conflict, large or small, between human beings until the end of time. If you can’t distill anything more concrete about the attacks than the lesson plan for day one of Psych 101, I dare say it’s time to hire a new speechwriter. Which is not to say I’m accusing Patrick’s staff of being stupid; they understand the lessons well enough, they’re just afraid to say anything that might “offend” the perpetually aggrieved. Hence this oatmeal, which tacitly blames Americans as much as it does Osama for the circumstances that led to people nosediving off the top of the Trade Center that morning.

Click the image and skip ahead to about 3:00 to watch. If nothing else, a speechwriter who can’t do better than “mean” isn’t fit for high school debate, let alone the governor’s office. As an antidote, both substantively and stylistically, today’s Hitchens piece at Slate is must reading. Quote: “Only six years on, and already the soft mainstreaming of Islamic imperialism is under way.”

Update: In fairness to Patrick, this is really just par for the course for Massachusetts.

patrick.jpg

Update: Same party, same office, same gutless, worthless, meaningless non-message. They won’t judge, not even on 9/11.

Comments

Did you really expect anything more? I’m surprised the mainstream view isn’t that we deserved it. Well, maybe too many people do think that these days.

Look at the situation, really. Osama sounds like a presidential candidate for a certain party. Republicans don’t even stand firm on defending the country. Paper tiger, indeed.

Like we believe AP went outside sometime this month. Who do you take us for?

lorien1973 on September 11, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Typical spineless, worthless, bought and paid for democrat in the typical Kennedy owned state of Massachusetts.

Probably afraid he’ll offend muslims.

darwin on September 11, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Bull!

The only people that don’t understand are the vile, murdering Muslim terrorists who fail to understand that slaughtering innocent humans is not an acceptable means for furthering your religious and political ends. Patrick is just another leftist panderer.

rplat on September 11, 2007 at 6:57 PM

What a preening jackass, in other words a typical liberal.

Drew on September 11, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Probably afraid he’ll offend muslims.

7 millin voters (est.) is a tough bloc to look away from for a politician. This is the basic problem with a career politician. If you are too worried about the next cycle – and how to get a majority – you can never make good policy.

lorien1973 on September 11, 2007 at 7:01 PM

OT, boy did Mort Kondracke just walk into something. He just said on Fox, that he “Can not imagine that had AQ made an attack on US homeland he would have declared war on the taliban”

this in response to Barnes noting Bush made decision we would no longer treat terrorism as a crime and wait for it to happen….

Ever here of the 1993 WTC bombing by Al-Qaeda Mort??? Did you know that Ramsey Youssef was/is Khalid Sheik Mohammed’s nephew…you know the mastermind of 9/11?

blithering idiot, you could tell he was upset about it to.

jp on September 11, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Oh puh-leeze.

A failure to learn to love each other?

Gag me with a dump truck.

thirteen28 on September 11, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Yeah, I disagree, Governor. I think they understood us pretty well, and after Sept. 11 most of us understand most of them pretty well.

Agree re: “mean and nasty” line, but Bush used the word “bullies” to refer to some tyrant or terrorist in the 2004 SOU speech. That was a sour note I still remember.

see-dubya on September 11, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Dhems do not have the moral clarity to understand the 21st century.

Mojave Mark on September 11, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Cant we all just get along ?

Yep still has the same ring to it years later

William Amos on September 11, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Wow Mass must be so proud to have this spineless jelly fish as their governor. I hope I didn’t offend any jelly fish

Mojack420 on September 11, 2007 at 7:25 PM

From the State of Kerry, Kennedy, Studds and My Boy Lolipop Frank

Wade on September 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM

What the? The theme of his speech, hidden in platitutes, is that everyone just needs to get over it.

Can we have Romney back now?

Resolute on September 11, 2007 at 7:36 PM

On the 9/11 thread, several of you were discussing Rick Rescorla. The History Channel is showing the docudrama about him, The Man Who Predicted 9/11, this evening at 11:00. I have not seen it but I want to catch it tonight.

INC on September 11, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Analyzing 9/11 as ‘a failure of human understanding’ suggests a failure of human intelligence.

petefrt on September 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM

This is the basic problem with a career politician.

lorien1973

There is a simple solution for this rather large problem. Make politics unavailable as a career … term limits.

darwin on September 11, 2007 at 7:45 PM

“Your Black Muslim Governor”

Andy in Agoura Hills on September 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

You should have seen the 9/11 Truthers and Code Pinkos on my train (subway) ride this morning heading into Boston. Oh, boy! They parked themselves on Boston Common right across from the State House.

kiakjones on September 11, 2007 at 7:49 PM

“[W]e are all part of the same human story,” says NY governor

Well if I’m part of your story, I’d rather not waste my time reading it. I’ll wait until RightWinged comes out on DVD.

RightWinged on September 11, 2007 at 7:51 PM

From the State of Kerry, Kennedy, Studds and My Boy Lolipop Frank

Wade on September 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM

This moron level of homophobia only hinders our ability to win this war with the muslims. We need to be cultivating the gays in the muslim as a fifth column against the muslims and not pushing our gays into the leftist fifth column against us.

thuja on September 11, 2007 at 7:55 PM

“mean, nasty and bitter” are words I might use to describe someone I strongly disliked, but not words I would use to describe the people who did this too us. More like “Horrific, Monstrous and Evil Beyond Comprehension”

Keli on September 11, 2007 at 8:01 PM

“[W]e are all part of the same human story,” says NY governor

This is true.

And, as an American, I plan to be the successful protagonist part of this human story.

JadeNYU on September 11, 2007 at 8:02 PM

INC on September 11, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Thanks INC

Tivo has been set

F15Mech on September 11, 2007 at 8:21 PM

911 was an inside job – some still say

Kini on September 11, 2007 at 8:27 PM

With all due respect to Gov. Patrick, I wonder if he would characterize the hatred and brutality his forefathers endured as slaves as “a failure of human understanding.”

Or would he call it the evil that it was.

I would suspect the latter. Evidently the liberal mind is incapable of (or unwilling to) recognizing a double-standard.

infidel4life on September 11, 2007 at 8:39 PM

The next “special” anniversary will, of course, be the 10th, when the punditocracy will engage in the mother of all navel gazing about “where we are now” and “what it says about us.” My skin’s already crawling at the thought.
-Allahpundit’s North Tower post-

I think you underestimated how quickly that would happen. If this is how some are portraying it now, how much farther will it descend?

SouthernDem on September 11, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Shit, how could you not hate Democrats, unless you were one? Okay, maybe then it would be okay to hate yourself.

drunyan8315 on September 11, 2007 at 8:52 PM

It’s Massachusetts, AP!

Stuck on stupid.

drjohn on September 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM

You’re welcome, F15Mech.

INC on September 11, 2007 at 9:30 PM

I’m sorry but I’m the better part of the story, at least a few chapters ahead of the Islamo-fascists

Defector01 on September 11, 2007 at 9:31 PM

The Archbishop of Canterbury came out with a speech on how the violence on 9/11 was met with the same type of violence in return, and why can’t we all get along.

These people are idiots.

Depatrick just shut down a state police project to keep track of illegal aliens that have been committing crimes. At least he’s taking time away from raising taxes

Hening on September 11, 2007 at 9:47 PM

When it comes to understanding Islam that guy clearly does not even have a clue.

MB4 on September 11, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Patrick said. “But it was also a failure of human beings to understand each other, to learn to love each other.”

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.
- Confucius

MB4 on September 11, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Which is not to say I’m accusing Patrick’s staff of being stupid

AP if you aren’t, I am. They have proved themselves not ready for prime time right from the start. Right out of the gate they were like giddy school kids on a first date, dropping a record amount of money for six, SIX, straight days of Pahhh-tays!

Then they chuck the pecunious Ford and jump into stereotype land with both feet by splurging on the Caddy, (the man gots to roll in style) and earn the name Coupe Deval.

Before that sophmoric prank settles he drops $12-G on drapes for the office. Honestly, they were insanely ridiculous 1970′s Barry White bedroom crushed velvet reddish orange that would have looked ok in one of Huggy Bear’s love shacks on the tv show Barretta.

Theeeen, he soups up one of his donors with a no show job as his wife’s secretary for $72,000 a year. Did we elect her, too?

A lesson to be had here is be careful that you don’t vote in a minority just to make your self hating liberal tush feel good or because he’s not as kooky as Rev Jesse. Make sure he is actually qualified.

The list goes on, but I have to do last months expenses.

Alden Pyle on September 11, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Guys,

“Don’t blame me, I voted for Muffy”.
As seen on numerous cars.

Deval also believes the Constitution is a living and breathing document. He encouraged his fellow spineless, weasel Dhimmys to violate the Constitution and adjourn the ConCon (Constitutional Convention) before the Gay Marriage petition can be voted on.

I wish MA Constitution allowed a recall election. This tool is a Clinton mouthpiece.

I hope I didn’t offend any weasels!

Mooseman

Mooseman on September 11, 2007 at 10:18 PM

We who live in Suffolk county celebrate Evacuation Day every March 17. That is the day the Patriots drove the British out of Boston. Henry Knox and co. dragged the cannons up the hill of Dorchester Heights under the cover of darkness. It totally blew General Howe’s mind! Now we have kumbaya Deval. It is getting more difficult every day to live here.

lilyjac on September 11, 2007 at 10:19 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, AP for posting this Deval Patrick quote. I heard it this morning while at work and my head almost popped off. I cannot believe this asshole is my governor.

D2Boston on September 11, 2007 at 10:36 PM

“[W]e are all part of the same human story,” says NY governor

Yes, we’re all part of the same human story. I love mankind. Mankind is like a bridge, going under and across, so I can go over. We’re all part of the same story.

Kralizec on September 11, 2007 at 10:46 PM

This jackass in my governor too. Lemme tell you about the $12,000 dollar curtains for his office….

Little Boomer on September 11, 2007 at 10:56 PM

Video: 9/11 was a “failure of human understanding,” says Mass. governor…

He’s quite right, so far as it goes. It was a failure of Americans to understand the depth and ferocity of the Islamist commitment to destroy their nation. Sadly, it’s a failure that largely persists.

Blacklake on September 11, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Watch this, then watch the Rambo trailer.

Then watch the Rambo trailer with this audio.

Come on, it’s fun.

Merovign on September 12, 2007 at 12:45 AM

This is why on Beacon Hill some of us Republicans (there are only a few) call Gov. Patrick, by this nickname…”8-Ball Deval”. I can picture him shaking the magic ball with desperation, too.

kiakjones on September 12, 2007 at 6:08 AM

blithering idiot, you could tell he was upset about it to.

jp on September 11, 2007 at 7:03 PM

I watched it too. You misheard. Earlier, the guy on the left (having a senior moment) said that Clinton’s response to 9-11 would be to lob a cruise missile at Afghanistan the next morning, instead of creating an entirely new war plan to remove the Taliban. Mort didn’t get a chance to respond. So at the very end of the program, he blurted out that he could not imagine that had AQ made an attack on the US homeland, that Bill Clinton would not have declared war on the Taliban.

I am sure of what I heard. Mort can sometimes be flaky, but he’s not venal.

JiangxiDad on September 12, 2007 at 7:15 AM

Barnes. Jesus, it was in your post.

JiangxiDad on September 12, 2007 at 7:24 AM

Great. Yet another embarrassment to my state. I love MA, I just hate the people in it.

By the way, not all people in MA are like Deval, there are at least 3 of us who aren’t.

Jared_MA on September 12, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Yup, that’s Cadillac Patrick. Don’t you just love our new empty suit? *barf*.

BKennedy on September 12, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Deval Patrick has a section of his official website dedicated to 9/11 conspiracy theories:

Zetterson on September 12, 2007 at 10:30 AM