Video: 10 a.m., inside the North Tower

posted at 12:07 pm on September 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

From the Naudet brothers’ immortal documentary. The first four anniversaries are too close to the bone and the fifth anniversary is “special” as only round numbers can be, so the sixth is the one where people finally feel safe in saying that the event has receded a bit in their mind. That’s true for me too, although in an odd way: the further away it gets, the harder it is to watch the footage. I watched CNN’s as-it-happened webcast last year but had to turn off MSNBC this morning when they did the same thing. Beyond a certain point, the bulletins turn into a snuff film. Also, there’s something narcissistic about reliving it through the news filter; for me, at least, it’s now less about what happened inside the Towers than my own experience of watching TV that day.

So here’s the antidote. The first clip puts you in the lobby next door to the South Tower shortly before, during, and then after the collapse. The second clip takes place a half hour or so before that, as the FDNY reacts to strange noises they’re hearing outside in the plaza. I apologize for the distasteful repetition in the video; it was cut by a Truther as “evidence” that the sounds they were hearing were actually bombs going off, so they replay the footage three times in each case to give you a better chance to hear. Various firefighters told the Naudet brothers at the time what the actual cause of those noises was.

For your reading pleasure afterwards, here’s Newt Gingrich’s alternate history of the war on terror after 9/11, an exercise not so much in “what we should have done” as “wouldn’t it be nice if…” Sample: “There were a series of Hollywood films and made for television films explaining the enemy and the scale of hatred and planning for violence against civilians.” Good luck with that, pal.

The next “special” anniversary will, of course, be the 10th, when the punditocracy will engage in the mother of all navel gazing about “where we are now” and “what it says about us.” My skin’s already crawling at the thought.

Update: The BBC “explains” the attacks. To children.

Update: Thanks to Slublog for finding a non-Truther version of the second clip.

Comments

I can’t watch these. I’ll cry like a baby and I’m at work. I watched United 93 and couldn’t stop sobbing. We need to keep these videos alive, to show them to the public. We can’t ever forget. We need people to wake up. Today shouldn’t be the only day people remember. They should remember every day.

wherestherum on September 11, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Is there an alternate link for these? I cant access youtube at work and would like to see them

offroadaz on September 11, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I have the Naudet brothers’ 9/11 documentary on dvd. I will be watching it today.

Bever Forgive. Never Forget.

Yakko77 on September 11, 2007 at 12:20 PM

No need to watch.

It’s seared into my soul.

Such scars don’t fade.

Nor should they.

profitsbeard on September 11, 2007 at 12:22 PM

The sounds of innocent Americans as they slammed into the roof and streets at the hands of Islam.

Guardian on September 11, 2007 at 12:28 PM

I’m saddened that I can’t talk about that day with anyone but close friends that are somewhat in agreement with me politically.

Everyone else either goes off on a tangent about ‘what really happened’ or starts the ‘yes, but…’ and then starts to talk about Bush.

Asher on September 11, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Nope. Still don’t want to watch. No reminder necessary.

Hollowpoint on September 11, 2007 at 12:29 PM

That’s right, Guardian, it was human beings at the final moments of their lives.

Thanks for posting the video, Allah. We have to watch it again and again, or else we’ll forget.

Your skin really will crawl at the 10th anniversary if it’s in Year 3 of the Hillary Administration.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 11, 2007 at 12:31 PM

No need to watch.

It’s seared into my soul.

Unfortunately, you and me appear to be in a minority.

Our friends on the left started forgetting on 9/12/2001.

Corky on September 11, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I’m not crying, but my stomach is on fire. The depth of the fear is just…no words.

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Horrific ! I had never seen the second video before.

Maxx on September 11, 2007 at 12:40 PM

It’s as if it happened this morning. The world has changed forever and I will never forget.

I’ve loved and hated with more passion since then, including deep disgust of those who enable or excuse the evil and freedom-hating ones, the media first and foremost. We’ve had the ugliness from within exposed, not a bad thing. At least now we know who they all are. The biggest shame rests on the ‘leaders’ of the democratic party. The righties are flawed and corrupt, in part. The lefties have completely sold their country out. It is indeed beyond shameful.

Entelechy on September 11, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Rest in peace

ronsfi on September 11, 2007 at 12:49 PM

God help me but I think if I ran into a ‘truther’ today I think I beat them to a pulp.

The Naudet brother’s film is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. When it comes to film making Michael Moore isn’t qualified to load their cameras with tape. And yet look who is celebrated and who is just a footnote.

It’s a strange world.

Drew on September 11, 2007 at 12:51 PM

I’ve never seen those clips before. I’m at a loss for words.

pullingmyhairout on September 11, 2007 at 12:53 PM

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I feel no fear, none what so ever, but deep within the darkest depths of my soul there burns a fire, this fire is like that of a giant sun as it explodes into super super Nova status. This fire that burns in my soul is a fire of hatred and righteous indignation.

Six years to the day I have not forgotten and I have not forgiven. nor will any number of passing days months or years change that, I will not forget or forgive and that burning fire of hatred and righteous indignation shall not diminish even slightly regardless of the time that will eventually pass.

No, I feel no fear, but I am angry as hell.

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 1:03 PM

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 1:03 PM

You misunderstand. While I feel no personal fear, the moment the rumbling begins in the video, I can see in their eyes the deepest foreboding, and it’s frightening.

I say we make sure that anyone who would see it happen to us again feels that very same foreboding.

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2007 at 1:08 PM

I know one of the NYFD in the Naudet video.

I get chills every time I see him on there.

JammieWearingFool on September 11, 2007 at 1:13 PM

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2007 at 1:08 PM

I dont want to make them feel fear, I want to make them DEAD.

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 1:18 PM

I dont want to make them feel fear, I want to make them DEAD.

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 1:18 PM

So do I, but I want them to see it coming and savor it.

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2007 at 1:23 PM

So do I, but I want them to see it coming and savor it.

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2007 at 1:23 PM

I don’t care if they see it coming or not, they will have eternity in hell to be afraid, the sooner they start suffering and feeling the fear that only finding oneself in hell can produce the better.

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 1:33 PM

As a former firefighter from a family of firefighters, this day has, does and will always hold special meaning for me. I can never forget….or forgive.

And the Naudet video is in my opinion, the best documentary ever made. I have the DVD and have watched several times. (and yes, probably will tonight) and I still can’t get past the end when they put up all the pictures of the firemen lost without a tear in my eye.

conservnut on September 11, 2007 at 1:54 PM

I bought the whole documentary when it was still available (I only assume it no longer is) and watch it every year. After having been to Afghanistan, the waters of memory stopped receeding but it is still important to be reminded why we fight.

srhoades on September 11, 2007 at 2:01 PM

srhoades on September 11, 2007 at 2:01 PM

It is. Amazon’s got it for less than $15.

Slublog on September 11, 2007 at 2:04 PM

If you haven’t already, look at this site(large file).

Fly your flags. Never forget.

d1carter on September 11, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Never forget, never let this fail to raise some emotion from you. It is not just for revenges’ sake, not just for national pride, but most importantly that evil rose up and we must always, always answer evil with resistance.

I hate the men and the society that spawned them and want them driven from the earth. I do not hate the Middle Easterner who only wants to be left in peace.

On a seperate 9/11 note: Does anyone else remember the moment that day when all of the Senators (and maybe the House of Representatives?) came out on the steps of the Senate building and sang “God Bless America”? I literally cried when I witnessed an unabashed non-partisan non-photo-op, just plain, defiant, American display of courage and unity. This was the only time in my memory I was damned proud of every one of them. It is reasonable to assume that at that time, when we didn’t know whether another attack was coming or not that the security forces in the Capitol were telling the Senators to leave and go to safety, yet they all went out there and effectively thumbed their noses at our attackers. I was so proud.

Texan on September 11, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Add one more to that list. Can never forget. It’s harder to watch than ever.

Miss_Anthrope on September 11, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Texan on September 11, 2007 at 2:27 PM

I wish you had not reminded me of that, it makes the taste in my mouth from watching how the democrats are acting today all the worse.

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Add one more to that list. Can never forget. It’s harder to watch than ever.

Miss_Anthrope on September 11, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I cannot watch it, the memory of that day is seared with living flames into my memory. Were I to watch the anger that I feel even now six years later would make me impossible for anyone to be around me for weeks.

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I won’t watch it. It’s just going to bring up the emotions of that day again for me and I don’t want to go through that again.

I’ll just say it’s a shame that the sacrifices made by the heroes of that day have been trivialized by the truther morons.

Benaiah on September 11, 2007 at 2:51 PM

doriangrey on September 11, 2007 at 2:45 PM

In the same “angry coot” boat witcha.

Miss_Anthrope on September 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Watch it, let it’s images burn themselves into your memory

Never forget, cry, mourn, or get mad. Do whatever it takes. Bear the burden, overcome the emotions. We have far too many of our fellow Americans who want to forget, make it go away.

NEVER FORGET AND NEVER LET ANYONE ELSE FORGET

Take care all

Bogeyfre on September 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM

My roommate won’t watch anything that has to do with the 9/11 attacks. I understand the desire not to feel that anger and frustration again but he, like many in this Nation, has lost the fire for retribution. He has been one of the “kill them all, let God sort ‘em out” types but is incapable of understanding the difference between what feels right and what’s possible.
Many avoid these clips for good reason and remain committed to what needs to be done and what can be done but many just want to pretend that it’s 9/10 again. I feel secure in saying that the Hot Air readership is mostly the former.

TBinSTL on September 11, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Mark Steyn did something a few years back regarding “Dianifying” 9-11. That’s part of the reason that people are turning away from the memorials, in my opinion.

When people remembered Pearl Harbor, or the Alamo (in wartime) they weren’t getting weepy and laying wreaths. They used the moment to relive the rage and attempt to avenge the deaths of their fellow man.

The memorials, unequivocally, have been utterly ruined simply because they aren’t being used to inspire people to fight. It is the perfect opportunity to remind people who the enemy is, why they did what they did, and how they should be made to pay ten thousand fold. The time for being weepy and wobbly is after they have been destroyed.

Krydor on September 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I have to admit that it is gut wrenching to watch these clips and the tribute clips that we all have linked here. Each individual has to deal with the atrocity in his or her own way. I for one will never forget and I will always mourn those killed on “that day”. It still makes me angry, sad, and proud to remember the events. I can only imagine the feelings of those who lost a loved one.

If this is the small price I have to pay to continue the fight to do what needs to be done, then so be it.

I stand with our military and our leaders who want to do the right thing, even if there are many on Capitol Hill today that do not.

There, I feel better now.

d1carter on September 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM

“For he to day that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother”
-Henry V

BohicaTwentyTwo on September 11, 2007 at 3:47 PM

I have accomplished so little today. Mostly reading tributes, looking at photos, and keeping my office door closed because my eyes keep “leaking.” As for the BBC, they think AQ just wants us to like them:

Al-Qaeda hopes its attacks will make Western countries treat Muslims differently in areas like the Middle East, the Balkans and Chechnya .

Why do some people still not get it? I will never submit.

lan astaslem on September 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM

This was part of a war that has lasted 1400 years.

It will end when no living person believes that ‘There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet.”

To those who won’t watch because they don’t want to feel what they felt that day: Watch, and hold onto your hate.

You’ll need it, if we’re to prevent this from happening again and again.

Death before dhimmitude. Preferrably theirs.

ticticboom on September 11, 2007 at 4:15 PM

The last firefighter on the video echoed my thoughts that day – How bad was in in the towers that people felt their only recourse was to jump?
I work for a department store chain and we had many buyers in the city that day one of whom had some business close to that end of town. She saw some of the people as they jumped.
When she got home, she quit and left the business. She couldn’t face going to the city ever again.

dbdiva on September 11, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Count me among those who cannot watch. I replay it all in my mind over and over again as it is, and I was in California. I can only imagine the horror of those who lived in NYC.

Bob's Kid on September 11, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Asher on September 11, 2007 at 12:28 PM

My freind..your comment is the most powerful yet on this thread..what you say is soo true.

malkinmania on September 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM

You know, I wanted to learn more about the Naudet Brothers so I googled their name. And I clicked on the first link. This is it.

It’s another truther website. In it, they claim the video is phoney and the Naudets should be arrested.

I’m sorry, but when the men who filmed that day for posterity, and almost died doing it, are considered government criminals, and search engine optimization puts this truther link first of thousands for Naudet, I know it is time to say goodbye to the West. Their pathological self-loathing knows no bounds, no limits, no decency. And there are just too many of them.

jihadwatcher on September 11, 2007 at 5:49 PM

I know it is time to say goodbye to the West.

No,,, should the west ever die,,, and our nation be no more,, let it never be because the Righteous and the Just have said, “It is time to say goodbye.”

JellyToast on September 11, 2007 at 9:37 PM

As difficult as these are to watch they must be shown.
And should be mandatory viewing at all public schools
on 9-11 each year.