Video: Scotland’s greatest hero in the world’s greatest city

posted at 9:00 am on September 10, 2007 by Allahpundit

Something to put you in a “Braveheart” state of mind as we await Petraeus. Absolute good meets absolute evil on the Fox News set — but alas, no “settin’ aboot” the mustache takes place.

Seriously, though, it was cool of Geraldo to have him on. And to give him a coat for the interview; note the sneakers when they cut to a medium shot.

Comments

Smeatonmania!

BKennedy on September 10, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Did Geraldo just pull and Olby? I owe you a pint to Olby’s Here’s a new school to Clinton?

Anyway, yeah it was kewl of him to have him on. I see a high volume of Smeaton posts the next couple of days :) Keep em commin’

- The Cat

MirCat on September 10, 2007 at 9:16 AM

That guy is just down with it!

csdeven on September 10, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Islam = “Total and utter evil”

I’m down with that.

SilverStar830 on September 10, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Awesome, I love Smeato, he’s a great bloke. Awesome that he went to NY for the 11th of Sept. too.

Aylios on September 10, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Credit where credit is due: nice “get” by Geraldo.

Long live the Smeato Doctrine.

12thman on September 10, 2007 at 9:31 AM

I love that guy. What a down to earth, regular guy, who stepped up to the challenge when he was needed.

nailinmyeye on September 10, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Cheers, mate

Spirit of 1776 on September 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM

I love the guy! He is a touchstone for all of us that have decided we WILL step in if called.

Babs on September 10, 2007 at 9:40 AM

I think Smeaton was speaking slowly and carefully for the American audience. He was a lot easier to understand this time than he was on UK news in the heat of the moment just after his heroic act. What a great guy! Wish there were more like him who just do the right thing when the right thing needs to be done.

aero on September 10, 2007 at 9:40 AM

He’s an example of a humble individual who is not afraid to step in and do the right thing in a moment of crisis. May the Jihadis fear folk like him.

jediwebdude on September 10, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Just imagine what he could have done if his government hadn’t assraped his ability to own/carry a gun…

Long live Smeato – pride of Scotland

Ochlan on September 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM

I can’t say it enough:

God bless you with every good thing, John Smeaton.

If there were any justice in this world, Smeato would be able to retire at the age of 31 on a fat reward; I’m not sure he would want to, but that would be justice.

gryphon202 on September 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Awesome. I’d buy they guy several pints but something tells me he can drink me under the table. I’d buy him a couple at least though to thank him.

Yakko77 on September 10, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Nemo Smeato impune lacessit

Terp Mole on September 10, 2007 at 10:15 AM

All the best, John Smeaton.

d1carter on September 10, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Subtitles mate subtitles

Texyank on September 10, 2007 at 10:26 AM

If I find John Smeaton and coerce him to have a drink, will you join us, Allah?

Karol on September 10, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Now here’s the kind of role model I want to show my son. All the best to Mr. Smeaton.

mikeyboss on September 10, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I loved hearing that Scottish accent from a wounded warrior at Walter Reed Friday.

Sensei Ern on September 10, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Hero.

Scottish.

The two go hand-in-hand (I may be biased).

That was nice. Smeaton’s a good bloke.

Malpaso on September 10, 2007 at 10:49 AM

“Civic Duty”

MikeyB on September 10, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Welcome to America! John Smeaton, this Bud’s pint’s for you.

Buy Danish on September 10, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I’m in love. And it’s only half because of the accent.

Meryl Yourish on September 10, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Disturbing to see all of the toasts to Rivera. He’s a jerk, and this doesn’t change that.

Jaibones on September 10, 2007 at 11:08 AM

I salute our Scottish allies and their current hero against the forces of Islam, but couldn’t stand to watch Whorealdo. The man sickens me!

KC-135A on September 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM

It’s called a “look,” AP. Sheesh.

However, it is recommended that all Geraldo guests do wear clothing that fully covers the body, as one never knows when a bout of spitting might erupt.

Blacklake on September 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM

“Civic Duty”

MikeyB on September 10, 2007 at 10:49 AM

It’s been way too long since I last heard anyone use that phrase. It’s going in the Smeaton hall fame with “set aboot ye” “full force to the groin” and “total and utter evil”.

forest on September 10, 2007 at 11:25 AM

yeah credit where credit is due, cheers to Geraldo for having him on.
Ahhhh Smeato – love him! and the accent just does it to me everytime

Keli on September 10, 2007 at 11:26 AM

See, Geraldo isn’t all bad. If it were Olbermann he would probably ask “why did you feel the need to commit assault on brown-skinned freedom fighters?”

BKennedy on September 10, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Smeaton is teh total hotness. I love that man. I would empty my bank accounts to buy him pints.

Sigh!

Can we clone him?

Ellen on September 10, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Who wins in a fair fight – John Smeaton or Chuck Norris?

My money’s on Smeato. Oh, hell yeah.

This may sound stupid … but I’m strangely comforted that he’ll be in New York tomorrow.

I’ve been nervous all month. The first time 9/11 has been on a Tuesday since …. well, you know when. All the bin Laden tapes, the Petraus report coming out, the elections, the chatter from the evil asshats …

I’ve got a bad feeling. I’ve had it for days.

And knowing John Smeaton is there makes me feel better. Don’t ask me why. But it does.

Professor Blather on September 10, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Ah, I really wesh oy could be in NY to buy’im a point and gev’em a greet beg hug!!

(Too bad I’m in NC)

LOVE YOU TO BETS, Smeato Lad!

tickleddragon on September 10, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Still wondering if he wants to become an American Citizen…I’d volunteer to marry him. And I’d not even have to pretend to love him. ;)

tickleddragon on September 10, 2007 at 2:02 PM

BKennedy on September 10, 2007 at 11:31 AM

That’s a fair point. Geraldo might be scummy, but at least he’s above the 9/11 denier trash. There are gutters, then there’s the sewer…

Blacklake on September 10, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Jaibones on September 10, 2007 at 11:08 AM
——————————————————

KC-135A on September 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM
——————————————————

That’s a double Yup ! ! Dittos ! !

Texyank on September 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM

FYI Allah, Smeato stood with “the Geraldo gang” (you know that lame good-bye they do at the end of each show?), and it was actually kind of funny… you could tell he was like “WTF are we doing?”

RedEye, please tell me your bookers are tracking Smeato down!?

RightWinged on September 10, 2007 at 4:19 PM

I can’t believe Fox used a banner to describe John Smeaton as a “Baggage Handler Hero.” Hey Fox news, how stupid are you? Mr. Smeaton isn’t a hero because he handled baggage, Mr. Smeaton is a hero because he subdued a terrorist. Try “Stopped a Terrorist Hero” next time… you idiots !!

Maxx on September 10, 2007 at 9:08 PM

“Courage is decided in an instant”, says Geraldo.

So what was the mustache “thinking” the instant he uttered, ” I would spit on Michelle Malkin?”

Geraldo is the insignificant bloke, whom I would like to “set with ye”.
What made me say that in an instant? “The backbone police getting attacked… I just cannot stand when the ‘backbone police are attacked’. That just does not set with me.

How has my life changed now that I’m a certified spit fighter? “Oh better than you can imagine, marvelous”.

Mcguyver on September 10, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Try “Stopped a Terrorist Hero” next time… you idiots !!
Maxx at 9:08 PM

Careful now… we must not use significant word pictures too much.

Mcguyver on September 10, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Guy will never have to buy another beer in his life. Well done!

warriorlawyer on September 10, 2007 at 10:05 PM

John Smeaton shouldn’t have to buy another ANYTHING in his life. He’s a purebred posterboy for what makes freedom great. Would any citizen of a “closed” nation think to assist a policeman out of a sense of “civic duty”? Not likely.

I’ve not drunk a pint in over 25 years, but to honor Smeato tempts me. Cheers, mate.

Freelancer on September 11, 2007 at 1:41 AM

When he was talking about New York I just knew he was going to say it was “foockin’ grrrrreat!”

rivlax on September 11, 2007 at 11:10 AM