Video: Lantos lectures Petraeus about the war

posted at 3:55 pm on September 10, 2007 by Allahpundit

Worth a clip. This has been the only moment of true political theater thus far aside from the Code Pink hissyfit, and he does, after all, have the majority on his side. An eloquent statement (particularly when he reminds Petraeus of an earlier encounter they had), if obnoxious in its transparent grandstanding; it’s fortuitous for the Dems that committee seniority made it fall to someone with his unique moral authority to give the benediction for pulling out and abandoning millions of innocent Iraqis to their fate. Not the first time he’s been enlisted as political cover for something in that vein, either. I’ll let Pam Hess provide the counterargument.

You’ll be surprised to learn that Obama and Bill “Troops Out Now” Richardson are also pre-emptively unconvinced by Petraeus. But on the bright side, everyone thinks he’s a real swell dude.

FYI, I had to cut the first 20 seconds or so here, in which Lantos praised the two men’s ability, to make the 10-minute YouTube limit.

Comments

How about the nerve of this nerd piece of s@it calling a decorated 4 star general a liar…WOW…I’m speechless…

areseaoh on September 10, 2007 at 4:00 PM

I dunno why Lantos reminds me of Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” character…I half expected him to float out of the breifing while his shadow moved the other way…

As if we’re missing anything? Typical Democrat…praise Patreus, right before you basically call him a liar. Just like supporting the troops, then saying the war is lost.

JetBoy on September 10, 2007 at 4:06 PM

He probably won’t because he’s too mature and has too much class, but I wish Petraeus would lose his temper.

Mommynator on September 10, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Lantos is despicable. No way does he speak for me as an American.

infidel4life on September 10, 2007 at 4:12 PM

From Moveon.org via CNN

Moveon.org said Monday it stood by the ad completely.

“Every major independent study and many major news organizations cast serious doubt on Petraeus’ claims,” Eli Pariser, executive director of MoveOn.org Political Action Committee, said in a statement.

“It should come as no surprise that General Petraeus’ claims have come under critical scrutiny: The facts all point in one direction — the surge isn’t working — and General Petraeus and the White House are pointing in another,” the statement said.

“No wonder recent polls show that the American people agree with the ad also: A majority expect that the general will deliver ‘a biased report that reflects what the Bush administration wants the public to believe,’” the statement said, quoting from a USA Today/Gallup poll reported in Monday’s USA Today

William Amos on September 10, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Lantos askes Patreus if he can negotiate with Iran. Patreus tells him that based on his accessment, Iranian Government Officials aren’t interested in negotiating with regards to Iraq. To which Lantos says: Poppycock!

Exit Question: What does it mean when Lantos says we ALL want you to succeed in Iraq to the fullest extent possible?

Sultry Beauty on September 10, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Lantos…the man pretty much owes the US Military his life…allowing him to come to America; escaping the Nazi’s after WWII, can’t even bring himself to support another group of people getting out from under the boot of another tyranny…I think his days representing Americans need to end. Pathetic! Makes me sick to think he has forgotten or hides where he came from just for some Dem liberal agenda.

Brian on September 10, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Tom Lantos has the look and feel of an old Soviet Block Communist and his rhetoric is about the same too.

Maxx on September 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Can someone ANYONE put all thse democratic quotes next to Osama’s latest video ?

William Amos on September 10, 2007 at 4:24 PM

I still could not get past the way Lantos sounds like The Count from Sesame Street.

“…..draw down of our forces beginning with 1 brigade. 1 brigade, ah, ah, ah. Or 2. 2 brigades, ah, ah, ah.” Where was the clap of thunder during his diatribe?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM

How did Count Chocula get elected to Congress?

unamused on September 10, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Currently, lucianne,com web site has the portrait of confederate general Robert E. Lee with a statement he made about the journalists of his time. It reads:

“It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers. In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I am readily willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects, and I will, in turn, do my best for the Cause by writing editorials – after the fact.”

In place of the words “newspaper editors” can we, today, replace it with ‘liberal Senators’? It would seem most apropos.

pocomoco on September 10, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Moveon.org said Monday it stood by the ad completely.

Amazing that they stand as they are the sorriest bunch of lying spineless critters I’ve ever seen.

jdkchem on September 10, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Seriously, can someone find Lantos’ lost love for him so he can rest in peace?

unamused on September 10, 2007 at 4:32 PM

This is really simple. The left want the cash the government spends on defense to fund healthcare, education and “crumbling infastructure.

Through all of what Lantos stated, that’s his real intent.

swami on September 10, 2007 at 4:36 PM

I bet if you gave Gen. Petraeus a choice between listening to grand standing wind bag Berkley Alumni Lantos or water boarding he would choose the latter.

sonnyspats1 on September 10, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Is this guy still alive? Hard to tell from the picture/video.

thirteen28 on September 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM

I’m still speechless…

areseaoh on September 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Kinda looks like the old guy from Diff’rent Strokes, doesn’t he? Or Hamilton Burger from Perry Mason?

RyanOH on September 10, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Lantos knows this will be played on every international outlet for worldwide comsumption. By doing this he further demonizes President Bush and by association General Petraeus. This is an effort to thwart the Generals progress even if he remains in Iraq for an extended period of time. I think we need to show solidarity with Iraqi’s who are cooperating with General Petraeus.

sonnyspats1 on September 10, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Kinda looks like the old guy from Diff’rent Strokes, doesn’t he?

nah, that guy had an ischemic stroke. Lantos had a hemorrhagic stroke.

JiangxiDad on September 10, 2007 at 5:20 PM

I still agree from the other thread!

Lantos is Count Chocula!

(sorry I cant remember who made the joke But I was laughing)

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on September 10, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Mr. Lantos’ Euro accent, restoring “credibility’, not taking at face value, etc…

Who are the Democrats posturing for, the US or our enemies?

lpierson on September 10, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Somebody please . . . tell Lantos to blow it out his ear or the orifice of his choice. The bum is an unmitigated jerk.

rplat on September 10, 2007 at 5:30 PM

WastelandMan on September 10, 2007 at 5:22 PM

;)

yo on September 10, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Gen. Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker were the lecturers today.
Randy

williars on September 10, 2007 at 5:48 PM

That pompous a$$ can be the poster boy for term limits. What gall.

Zorro on September 10, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Tom Lantos: Fought National Socialism and Soviet Socialism to make the world safe for Fabian Socialism.

DrSteve on September 10, 2007 at 6:11 PM

You’d think a Wallenberg Jew would’ve learned a thing or two.
I always expect nothing from Rep Lantos…and I’m never disappointed.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 10, 2007 at 6:17 PM

I kept noticing that Lantos kept refering to what I am assuming were the notes of his prepared statement. I wonder what percentage of those notes were edited by Moveon.org. I’m figuring about 99.9%, since there is obviously not so much as a smidgen of an original thought left wandering in Lantos’ thick skull.

pilamaye on September 10, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Yes, my liberal friends this is YOUR Democratic Party. You voted for it, you got it, you live with it, you cretins. I am ashamed and mortified that you even have your names associated with democracy.

MNDavenotPC on September 10, 2007 at 6:44 PM

The people of San Mateo County, CA have their opportunity to fire this appeaser of fascism in the coming elections, but I seriously doubt they will do the right thing.

KC-135A on September 10, 2007 at 7:04 PM

KC-135A on September 10, 2007 at 7:04 PM

You know, I honestly think that Conservatives out here are so used to being defeated they just stay home; like in the special election. I would love to see things turn around out here starting with this douche bag, Waxman, and Boxer….

liquidflorian on September 10, 2007 at 7:44 PM

I remember when Tom Lantos was going on about Graig
Livingstone,during the Clinton Administration.
If I remember right,Mr Lantos said that since Craig wasn’t
sticking up for Bill,it went something like this,

You know Craig,it would be more honourable if you would
just commit suicide,much like Admiral Boorasa did.

Rush,has this on his website.

canopfor on September 10, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Lantos is an arrogant gasbag.

ahem on September 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM

What coffin did this guy climb out of?

Did Satan give Mr. pastie a second life so he could come back as a troop hater liberal?

Speakup on September 10, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Why do so many of these moonbat nutjobs come from CA? ugh….

CCRWM on September 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Nice to see Lantos(D) take some time off from appeasing the North Koreans.

DANEgerus on September 10, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Lantos and Soros obviously are not representing our country. They are claiming to represent US probably because their birth country would not allow them to vote on anything.

MSGTAS on September 11, 2007 at 10:11 AM

George Soros: Hungarian Jew promoting new world socialism
Tom Lantos: Hungarian Jew Democrat congressman promoting new world socialism

Hmmmmmm……Anyone see a connection here?

OK. I’ll give it to you. Both of their last names end in “os”. Kind of like dKos……..

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 11, 2007 at 10:43 AM