The long-expected hit on “General Betray-us”

posted at 3:22 pm on September 10, 2007 by see-dubya

I don’t want to cause a Petraeus overload here but there are two things that strike me about the Code Pink/ Fringe Moonbat/ Crazytown High Pep-Squad campaign to discredit General Petraeus:

I. The slam on Petraeus has been carefully orchestrated for months. In a NYTimes Magazine profile* of a newish, more savvy anti-war group, AAEI, the moonbats tip their hand:

Even before summer’s end, Matzzie and company were working to undermine the credibility of an upbeat progress report from Petraeus, who appears to oppose a substantial drawdown of troops in Iraq. “Most of what we have to do will be done before he lands in Washington,” Matzzie told me in late August. “We have to frame his statements before he makes them. He’s not Saint Petraeus — he’s General Petraeus.”

That Petraeus was very much on A.A.E.I.’s radar was clear from another conference call I witnessed late last month. …But the main topic of conversation was a story in that day’s Washington Post reporting that Petraeus had “softened” judgments in a recent White House National Intelligence Estimate to reflect improved conditions on the ground in Iraq. The operatives saw a chance to bash the White House for distorting intelligence and to depict Petraeus as a calculated spinner. “I’m gonna move it around like it’s a big deal,” said Brad Woodhouse, a progressive gadfly with Americans United for Change, an A.A.E.I. coalition member, who specializes in bombarding reporters with advocacy e-mails.

This is their swan song, you realize. One of the loudest and longest complaints from the Left (and not just the fringe, but all over) is about the firing of General Eric Shinseki before the Iraq invasion. Their narrative runs that General Shinseki said we’d need more troops, and so the White House attacked him (and fired him). Back in March 2003, when we were handily defeating the Iraqi army, the Guardian was already crowing about Shinseki’s vindication.

General Petraeus doesn’t even say we need more troops. But the Left is attacking him and slandering him and militantly ignoring him–holding their fingers in their ears and saying no no no we won’t listen! They are deliberately and systematically doing exactly what they accuse the Bush White House of doing with Shinseki.

They’re jokes. And not even funny ones.

II. Code Pink’s disruptions are counterproductive. We know that–as commenter Professor Blather said below:

Do you ever get suspicious that maybe 95% of the liberal movement is actually made up of arch-conservative moles that infiltrated their nuttiness and now work daily to make them look terrible?

Seriously. It’d be amazing how much better liberals would appear if they ever started just shutting up. Or if they could unravel the vast conspiracy in their midst. Somebody get the Truthers on it.

Oh – and Code Pink? It’s gotta be 99.5% conservative double agents. Gotta be. With Pink Xerxes as the obvious devious mastermind.

The thing is the moonbats have figured that out as well. It’s not just Harry Reid trying to pull back from MoveOn. Notice they’ve dialed back the massive street protests as the election approaches? They’ve been burned too many times by photos of freakazoids holding up signs that say “Peace in Our Time” or “We Support Our Troops When They Shoot Our Officers” percolating through the blogosphere. Except for the Code Pink/Rosie O’Donnell Fan Club, who didn’t get the memo that antiwar has gone corporate. From the NYT magazine profile:

And instead of a freewheeling circus managed from college campuses and coffee houses, the new antiwar movement is a multimillion-dollar operation run by media-savvy professionals. “They are to the left what the N.R.A. is to the right,” says a Democratic strategist with close ties to the party’s congressional leadership. “They’re very effective in turning up the volume and demanding a response.”

Matzzie put it this way to me: “Last time [it] was done in the streets. People were concerned about civil society breaking down. You have to play in politics, which is something we do very explicitly.”

* Note this quite positive, if rather dull, look at anti-war activists is written by a senior editor at The New Republic.

Comments

The dems built their Congressional House on the tinfoil of the Anti war movement

Can only hope now that the heat has been turned up on them that their own tinfoil brigades roast them

William Amos on September 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

I’d call them clowns but that would be a disservice to absurdly dressed comedic performers. Idiots? Morons? Traitors?

Leonidas Hoplite on September 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Matzzie put it this way to me: “Last time [it] (Vietnam protest) was done in the streets. People were concerned about civil society breaking down. You have to play in politics, which is something we do very explicitly.”
Yes and the Right has learned from your tactics and is way ahead of you.

sonnyspats1 on September 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Makes me wonder who Moveon.org and the New York Times are working for….

None of the Moveon.org crowd could hold a candle to this man and his sacrifice to this nation.

msipes on September 10, 2007 at 3:40 PM

The Anti-War movement just all out sucks. They are no NRA.

Stormy70 on September 10, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Real debate has been dead in this country for years. My wife can’t watch Fox News with me since to her it’s a bunch of people all yelling at once. Code Bink is an example of debate gone wild since they just plan out attacks on people before the discussion is even in play. They want to kill discussion and reporting. They don’t listen and attack, they just attack. It’s the lowest form of political involvement possible and a hang over from the Sixties, where I think these people got their training.

“Gorilla Theater”

Hening on September 10, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Good heavens a woman just interrupted again.

Brat on September 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Add Wexler to the Crazytown squad.

His comments during one of the breaks were ridiculous.

mesablue on September 10, 2007 at 3:46 PM

The more the circus erupts, the better the serious look.

To paraphrase Shakespeare:

Goof on, McDoofuses, goof on!

profitsbeard on September 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I Never Thought I’d See the Day

When the commanding general of troops in combat was labeled “General Betray Us” in the media and treated like something stuck to the bottom of Congress proverbial shoe.

Our troops should expect more from the American public than this and it is indeed a shameful day for the nation.

highhopes on September 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM

The Anti-War movement just all out sucks.

If they were truly anti-war, they would have protested North Vietnam’s invasion of South Vietnam and incursions into Cambodia, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Saddam’s invasion of Kuwait, and the terrorists now waging war in Iraq. In other words, they’d be protesting against all war, not just military force applied by the U.S.

Bigfoot on September 10, 2007 at 3:55 PM

The so-called Anti-War movement sucks.

Fixed it!

Stormy70 on September 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM

That ad calling Petraeus a traitor is just despicable. A man who’s spent his entire adult life honorably defending America gets called a traitor by moonbat scum who hate everything this country stands for. Unbelievable. I have a feeling that a lot of people who’ve worn the uniform, myself included, are never going to forget that. Any more than we’ll forget things like the Democrats fighting to disenfranchise military voters in the 2000 election, or leftist maggots defacing the Vietnam War Memorial, etc., etc.

But remember, they “support the troops”. In what way, exactly, do they support the troops? Because I don’t recall any.

ReubenJCogburn on September 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM

I am impressed with one aspect of Code Pink and that’s their tenacity. The old lady that got tossed out last, over in the other thread, did you see how she reacted to the police trying to throw her out. They had to physically pull her out of the audience and as they did she was screeching like she had been thrown into a vat of acid.

Then the police had to push her and pull her at the same time to move her out the door, and all the while she was screeching at the top of her lungs “she had a right to speak.” Of course she had no right to disturb that proceeding, but that’s beside the point. Conservatives need to be more tenacious.

Maxx on September 10, 2007 at 4:02 PM

I think they are confused. They still seem to beleive that the troops are cow-eyed conscripts who don’t know any better. They seem to have forgotten that conscription/draft was abandoned and now the majority of those who volunteer actually love thier country and beleive in something bigger than themselves. If the Crazy Anit-War Left realized that, they’d be lining up to spit, because they hate nothing more than a patriot who is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for his/her country. You see, if the would didn’t have people like that, there wouldn’t be any war. And that’s what it really is about for them – the presence of war in human history. Patriots = Warmongerers and if there were no patriots there would be no war.

Personally, my biggest regret in life was not going to Marine OCS after college. It’s amazing that I have to keep that to myself in the moonbat infested town I live in.

Leonidas Hoplite on September 10, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Sorry should have put this here

Moveon.org said Monday it stood by the ad completely.

“Every major independent study and many major news organizations cast serious doubt on Petraeus’ claims,” Eli Pariser, executive director of MoveOn.org Political Action Committee, said in a statement.

“It should come as no surprise that General Petraeus’ claims have come under critical scrutiny: The facts all point in one direction — the surge isn’t working — and General Petraeus and the White House are pointing in another,” the statement said.

“No wonder recent polls show that the American people agree with the ad also: A majority expect that the general will deliver ‘a biased report that reflects what the Bush administration wants the public to believe,’” the statement said, quoting from a USA Today/Gallup poll reported in Monday’s USA Today

William Amos on September 10, 2007 at 4:16 PM

It is unfortunate that dueling is illegal and traitors are no longer exiled if they weren’t shot.

jdkchem on September 10, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Interesting point I heard on Fox & Friends earlier… can’t remember who the guest was (could have been Newt, could have been Duncan Hunter), or maybe it was just common sense Kilmeade… but the Democrats have been shouting “listen to the generals!” for years, and now they themselves wanted to dismiss a general before he even spoke. Again, these evil SOBs are all about causing us to to lose so they can win elections… any deaths and defeats that happen along the way are just the price we pay for liberal utopia.

RightWinged on September 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Good point but not really the issue. Just like the global warming “debate” is not really over the science but over ways government can intrude in private life by dictating things in the name of the environment….. the Iraq debate is not over geo-political strategy. Today’s political theater is all about “getting Bush” and securing power for 2008. Lantos and the rest of the Democrats out there calling General Patraeus a liar have no interest in the troops, well-being of America, or long-term stability in the ME.

highhopes on September 10, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Hening on September 10, 2007 at 3:42 PM

HEY! It’s VIKING GONE WILD!!!!

Your points however are right on. Debates are about spin, name calling and misdirection.

VikingGoneWild on September 10, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Where to get advice on making war?
Let me see, I can listen to the person who knows how to gain money with a slight of hand land deal and his buddies or I can listen to the man who has spent his entire adult life training to defend this country with force of arms.

HMMMMM…..I guess since I don’t whether to hit the “M” or “W” button properly I better choose the former. Not even. Why wouldn’t they listen to the expert? Do these people not listen to their doctor, lawyer or financial advisor either?

BDS is a disease.

VikingGoneWild on September 10, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Oh and don’t forget, you don’t read any intelligent books ever. And want to watch uplifting, entertaining movies. And you don’t care what your betters like George Clooney or Sean Penn think of the war, no matter how much better looking and smarterer they think they are. And for some reason, your Redneck butt thinks that fighting terrorism is more important than global warming or if the Dixie Chicks are staying together.

For shame, for shame.

mjk on September 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Actually from what I have been told, troops at Brigade level call General Petraeus, Mr. Clean.

MB4 on September 10, 2007 at 5:47 PM

AAEI is a front organization for union political activity. Their staff and member organizations are all plucked from the rosters of union activist groups and union bank accounts.

They’re a group of union lackeys posing as concerned average Americans.

gabriel sutherland on September 10, 2007 at 5:48 PM

I think that those folks need to look at the General’s left shoulder tab (black and gold with the letters “R-A-N-G-E-R”). Do a little research and see how that is earned and what it stands for. Then come back and try to smear the General.

Not a RANGER myself but I have serve with several and there are no better leaders in a pinch.

Claimsratt on September 10, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Sweet Lord, I just caught a glimpse of the General’s chest o’ medals. Overachiever much? (I’m kidding, I wouldn’t have a hope of getting half those medals).

If he can stand fully upright with that many medals on his chest, he’s twice the man of any person in the Congress or the Senate.

Claimsratt, I’ve never served in any military whatsoever and even I know what RANGER in the Army means. And yeah, that man deserves so much more respect than he’s been given today.

mjk on September 10, 2007 at 6:19 PM

When I was in the Army, it was always understood that honor, integrity, ethics and morals were the most important traits a person could exhibit. Without these, one was nothing. Now we have an honorable man, who has given his entire adult life to his country, and he is viciously attacked by people that do not even know what honor, ethics, integrity, and morals are. I would love to see the good General take his attackers to court and get some retribution. It would also be great if the attacking groups lost any and all tax benefits that they might be receiving. Any politician that takes contributions from these groups should either return the funds and denounce the actions or face some form of severe consequences. Of course, that will never happen.

former CPT
Armor
Army of the United States

DAT60A3 on September 10, 2007 at 7:10 PM

William Amos on September 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

dose that mean if you shake them they will pop like jiffy pop

Mojack420 on September 10, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Like I said before,the LIBERAL DEMOCRATS hate the term liar,
much like flashing a cross at a vampire.
Since Bill Clinton got caught with Monica,and lied,he
single handedly destoyed the lib party.
The American people will not tolerate a liar.

I caught Harry Reids words on the radio.
He said General (BE-TRAYED US)Petraeus was playing a little lose with the facts———–another words he lied.

Doesn’t that mean that the Commander in Chief also lied.
Not my words,but Harry Reids.

Gee,so much for the liberals working hand in hand with the
Republicans Eh!

Liberals keep repeating lie.liar,he lied,they lied,
over and over in the drive-by-media.

The election isn’t to far off,and the lib’s will stick to their talking points,er Republican lies that don’t exist.

Someone needs to point out everytime an idiot lib in the media accuses a honest Republican of lying,then stand up and ask them to prove it!

canopfor on September 10, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Goof on, McDoofuses, goof on!

profitsbeard on September 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Thank you for that profitsbeard. Indeed.

Or, real man besmirched by mosquitoes.

Entelechy on September 10, 2007 at 11:25 PM