Outrageously outrageous outrage: “Flat Buns”

posted at 8:58 pm on September 9, 2007 by Allahpundit

So here’s something else we’re supposed to be offended at, I guess. It’s not clear what the main, er, thrust of the complaint is: is it the fact that they’re treating teachers as sex objects per the most universal schoolboy fantasy in human history or is it the fact that this might air when kids are watching, possibly during commercial breaks between MTV videos that are twice as racy?

Who’s their target demographic here, anyway? 20-year-old men who enjoy hip-hop bump and grind — but feel guilty watching it unless it’s presented ironically? Just bring in Snoop and some dancers and own it, Carl’s Jr.

The clip came up this afternoon on the Big Story in a segment hosted by the foxiest Foxie of them all. She starts off with some buzzkill but takes a detour along the way and ends up … in a different place.

Comments

that teacher wont be getting on any southwest airline wills she ?

William Amos on September 9, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Hot for Teacher by Van Halen….better song, better video.

kiakjones on September 9, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Flat buns? Who the hell likes that? Give me some ass I can sink my teeth into.

jihadwatcher on September 9, 2007 at 9:09 PM

Geez Banderas, lighten up. Major buzz kill.

commonsensehoosier on September 9, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Yeah in a place with me imagining things……. well…. let’s just say her ratings went up, up, way up.

Mcguyver on September 9, 2007 at 9:12 PM

I’m up for naked news on fox. Especially during Red Eye. Levy *meow*!

lorien1973 on September 9, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Do the news naked?

I think that is not a half bad idea. She will rue the day she said that.

jihadwatcher on September 9, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Pretty pathetic, really — both sophomoric and moronic.
How about a new ad category for the sophomoronic.

SJBill on September 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Yes, you are supposed to do the news naked.

fusionaddict on September 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Where’s the beef(cake)?

JetBoy on September 9, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Best exit question EVAH!

Limerick on September 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Fusionaddict beat me to it, even stepped on my ‘ I will look long and hard” for the link joke.
Dude.

bbz123 on September 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Naked news… already been done.

How is the teacher getting exploited? She’s getting paid. It’s the male customer who they are trying to exploit.

The funny part is if that reporter thinks that looks shouldn’t be used to sell, she should try working without makeup and see how long she stays on the air.

And what a disgusting looking burger.

pedestrian on September 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and predict that Sir Mix-a-lot is opposed to “Flat Buns”.

A Patty Melt sounds pretty good about now, though, as does Julie’s last idea there. Homina homina.

ReubenJCogburn on September 9, 2007 at 9:23 PM

I’m confused. On the one hand, we have cases like those of Mary Kay Letourneau and Debra Lafave where we condemn them for mixing teaching and sex. But then on the other, we have this Carl’s Jr. commercial in which “we’re supposed to be offended at, I guess.” Or not, judging from AP’s “tone.”

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

JinxMcHue on September 9, 2007 at 9:28 PM

JinxMcHue on September 9, 2007 at 9:28 PM

The rape of schoolchildren is not comperable to a racy ad.

VolMagic on September 9, 2007 at 9:30 PM

The irony of a beautiful woman reporter who was mainly hired on her good looks, attacking “sexism,” is overwhelming.

She probably knows her looks play a big part of her career, which explains her anger.

Sydney Carton on September 9, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Banderas could kick me in the gut and I would show up at her door the next day with flowers asking if her foot was alright.

Win Win Win on September 9, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Ah I get what Allah is leading up to.

First we have the liberals vs Conservative study with W’s and M’s

Then we have gyrating Burger sellers

Then we find out it all about the French Fries !

William Amos on September 9, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Do they have home delivery,if so,send some flat buns
to Bill’s house,and see if the stable Hillary throws another ashtray at him.Haha

canopfor on September 9, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Flat hamburger buns are an abomination unto the Lord.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 9, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Win Win Win

I don’t think she’d kick that high. She has a not at all well disguised adversarial relationship with… the Richard. That girl’s severely ambiguous on the subject.
I know the type – went through that phase decades ago.
Some acquire an enduring taste for such… challenging women.
Arrested development.

Stephen M on September 9, 2007 at 9:45 PM

A “Baby Got Back” retort some fifteen years later. Timely.

baldilocks on September 9, 2007 at 10:01 PM

I’m outraged that they are advocating flat buns. We men want some junk in that trunk.

SoulGlo on September 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Hot for Teacher by Van Halen….better song, better video.

kiakjones on September 9, 2007 at 9:03 PM

ReubenJCogburn on September 9, 2007 at 9:23 PM

A “Baby Got Back” retort some fifteen years later. Timely.

baldilocks on September 9, 2007 at 10:01 PM

All these guys win.

It’s just a rehash of a rehash being used to sell burgers with weird bread. The outrage should be from Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. toward whomever they paid to put together such unoriginal garbage. I’ve seen more innovation from rank amateurs on Youtube.

angryoldfatman on September 9, 2007 at 10:07 PM

angryoldfatman on September 9, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Thanks, but(t) I’m not a guy. :-)

baldilocks on September 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM

The good thing about guys who want to see Julie Banderas do the news naked is they make me feel less guilty about simply wanting to see her do the news in a bikini…

radjah shelduck on September 9, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Well, here’s the thing for me. I can tolerate a little bit of a racy ad as long as it doesn’t go too far. Carl’s Jr/Hardee’s is doing something right because anytime they put out an ad they get attention.

On the other hand, with so many stories out there of female teachers getting arrested for having sex with their students, I don’t know if this was the wisest controversy to court this time around. I would have personally found another way to promote the “Flat Buns” image than the old “Hot for Teacher” stereotype.

ScoopPC11 on September 9, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Thanks, but(t) I’m not a guy. :-)

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! :-D

angryoldfatman on September 9, 2007 at 10:22 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzz. You’re dead on with your MTV analysis AP. This ad is going to work really well on its target audience. I’d never even considered eating at Checkers until they came out with Rap Cat.

BadgerHawk on September 9, 2007 at 10:22 PM

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! :-D

angryoldfatman on September 9, 2007 at 10:22 PM

:::snort:::

radjah shelduck on September 9, 2007 at 10:18 PM

As for naked news, BH of FNC could make a sista’s morning brighter. /rudeness

baldilocks on September 9, 2007 at 10:25 PM

radjah shelduck on September 9, 2007 at 10:18 PM

We’re here to help, radjah. :D

ReubenJCogburn on September 9, 2007 at 10:30 PM

After much exhausting research, I found this video of the righteously offended Julie doing the news showing cleavage and lace:

Titilating?? Yes. A tad hypocritical? Yes.
Objectionable, not to me. Keeps me tuned in to the news.

fred5678 on September 9, 2007 at 10:47 PM

I don’t know what you guys are freaking at in relation to the ad’s “quality.” It’s a dumb ad that’s supposed to get you to laugh and buy the burger. Needless to say I “lol’d” and am not ashamed. I didn’t know all advertising was supposed to be high art. If so it would be this. Of course this ad was subsequently taken down too.

CTDeLude on September 9, 2007 at 10:50 PM

A “Baby Got Back” retort some fifteen years later. Timely.

baldilocks on September 9, 2007 at 10:01 PM

As long as you are going to “question the timing” (and rightly so), let me just add that I like like big buns and I can not lie.

My collie says:

Is that why we never have Carl’s Jr. burgers?

CyberCipher on September 9, 2007 at 10:51 PM

That’s hot.

And Julie doesn’t seem to appreciate the delicious irony of the fact that she’s showing it, and most of her fans are only there because she’s hawttt

Jaibones on September 9, 2007 at 10:53 PM

CyberCipher on September 9, 2007 at 10:51 PM

You and your collie should be arrested. :-D

baldilocks on September 9, 2007 at 10:55 PM

OK, it’s got to be said,

Julie

KP

Boxing Gloves

Spegettios

- The Cat

P.S. I would have said Michelle and MKH but we’ve seen how Michelle boxes and MKH would stomp both in the first round.

Oh and that ban thing would suck too.

MirCat on September 9, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Banderas is a moron. Anyone who makes the “it’s not fair because men aren’t exploited this way waaaaaaah” argument is a brainwashed fool.

That being said, as a mom I’m not wild about this ad. A target market of 20 to 35 year old men is going to catch a lot of kids along for the ride. Sports? News? Weather? Comedy? All the things our family watches?

Of course I never did see that Paris Hilton ad except on Fox News, so maybe it never ran and these ads are just made to create a news (and why pay to run ads anyway when you can get so much free advertising)?

Buy Danish on September 10, 2007 at 12:02 AM

Did anyone ask for Naked news? It’s been around for a little while. Maybe CBS and NBC should pre-empt Fox in the Ratings.

Egfrow on September 10, 2007 at 12:46 AM

You know, I hate to be Mr Obvious here, but Banderas wasn’t exactly hired for her journalism skills. Not saying she doesn’t have any, but being a hot female doesn’t really hurt either. Why do we call them newsmodels after all? They’re hot and appeal to their target audiences. Mr O’Reilly ain’t a young thang, but neither is his audience. Banderas, well, I could watch her all day long.

thedecider on September 10, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Nonfactor on September 10, 2007 at 2:46 AM

Give me some ass I can sink my teeth into.

jihadwatcher on September 9, 2007 at 9:09 PM

My dear sir, allow me to begin by saying that I sincerely share your admiration, your profound appreciation, your taste (so to speak) for the phenomenon that the poet Sir Mix-a-Lot hath dubbed “much back.”

When a young lady enters the room, and that lady possesses a narrow torso and ample posterior — when that round thing, one might say, is in my face — I assure you that like so many gentlemen, I get “sprung.” I have at times been tempted to accost such a woman, desiring her to back that thing up.

However, despite our similar aesthetic interests, I must object to your vulgar language, sir. What next? Shall our television programmes permit discussion of “balls”?

Ali-Bubba on September 10, 2007 at 5:12 AM

Ali-Bubba on September 10, 2007 at 5:12 AM

Nonfactor on September 10, 2007 at 5:55 AM

Yes, that commercial is crass, but advertisers have be exploiting sexuality for years. this isn’t new. And what is she ranting about. hasn’t she seen that Fabio butter commercial?
And I will add, Fox news did not hire her for her reading ability. HAH so there!

TheSitRep on September 10, 2007 at 6:40 AM

Julie said at the beginning…”I’M looking at the girl”. How’s that for nuance?

SITTDOWN WALDO!!!

LtE126 on September 10, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Van Halen had no comment.

It’s just a rehash of a rehash being used to sell burgers with weird bread.

Weird? Bread? Dude, it’s sourdough. It’s a patty melt.

Tanya on September 10, 2007 at 7:40 AM

You and your collie should be arrested. :-D

baldilocks on September 9, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Ooo. Yes, please — and handcuffed too, maybe? You big bad police-woman, you. (I’ve had a thing for bald women ever since Star Trek:The Motion Picture ya’know.)

My collie says:

Don’t encourage him baldilocks.

CyberCipher on September 10, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Oh, I see that we were having some fun yesterday. :-D

baldilocks on September 10, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I’m offended by people who are offended easily.

dougless on September 10, 2007 at 1:37 PM

That commercial is not offensive nor does it exploit women. Geez, that female newsreader has a stick up her ass. She should learn about the difference between men and women and learn what boyz like. They are somewhat different than men.

Andy in Agoura Hills on September 10, 2007 at 2:00 PM