Hagel to retire

posted at 9:38 pm on September 8, 2007 by Bryan

One of the more annoying GOP senators is calling it quits:

An Republican insider close to Sen. Chuck Hagel confirms Hagel will announce that he’s retiring from his Senate seat.

Hagel has scheduled a press conference on Monday morning at the Omaha Press Club.

Nebraska Republican leader David Kramer also said, he’s “100 percent” sure Hagel will call it quits.

In March, Hagel said he was thinking about his political future and would announce a decision.

Hagel’s move opens the way for former Sen. Bob Kerrey to run for that seat against several local Republicans, meaning that there’s an outside chance that the seat could go Dem.

The best known Republican running for the job is Nebraska Attorney General Jim Brunning, who announced that he was running for the job back in June.

“I’m a candidate without reservation,” Bruning said. “I can and I will beat Sen. Hagel in the primary next May. I’m running hard and I’m running to win. I will not defer to any other candidate who may join me in this race. I’ve chosen this path because conservative Nebraskans deserve a leader who will support and defend the principles of the Republican Party.”

Bruning announced in March that he would begin raising money and studying the possibility of a run, only if Hagel declined to seek a third term in 2008. But since then, Bruning has alluded to plans to run regardless of Hagel’s decision.

In April, Bruning blasted Hagel’s criticism of Bush and the war in Iraq, saying Hagel had essentially left the Republican Party.

Uh, yeah. He essentially had.

Comments

Personally, I think Democrat Bob Kerrey would be a huge trade up.

frankj on September 8, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Kerry and Hsu leaving the New School at the same time? And Fidel isn’t well. How are they going to cope?

JiangxiDad on September 8, 2007 at 9:40 PM

One scarcely knows what to say. Except one does. One exercises restraint. Is “yippee” restrained?

DrMagnolias on September 8, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Good riddance. That bastard (who looks like a raging alcoholic) carried water for Hezbollah last year. HAgel is so typical of so many “conservative Republicans” who come to D.C. from the hinterland, get invited to a couple of Georgetown cocktail parties, decide they want to be loved by Tim Russert, the WaPo and the NY Times and then turn liberal. Think Tennessee senators such as Bill Frist, Lamar ALexander as well as RINO’s such as Miss Lindsey Graham, Trent Goofball Lott, Chuckles Hagel, Richard Lugar, JOhn Warner, etc.

Hilts on September 8, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Don’t let the door hit you in the a** Chuckie

BobH on September 8, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Hopefully, he’ll run for president and further split votes in the RINO-heavy primary candidate field.

Valiant on September 8, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Rove’s evil plan is beginning to work.

Zorro on September 8, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Maybe the RNC, perturbed by Hagel’s RINO outrages, informed him that they will not be supporting him for re-election.

Just a thought.

pocomoco on September 8, 2007 at 10:13 PM

I need a scorecard. After hearing comments from Hagel quoted the past few years, I thought he must be a Democrat. I have no idea who this Bruning is, but I wish him well.

Doug on September 8, 2007 at 10:21 PM

I understand that he’s retiring to spend more time with his Dems.

realVerse on September 8, 2007 at 10:24 PM

YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warner and Hagel both? Could we hope that Arlen Specter and Susan Collins will soon join them? It appears the era of the RINO is over! I don’t know what it means to the balance of power in the Senate but I know that the GOP is better off without these turncoat Republicans. They were always with the “rats” on the issues that mattered most.

highhopes on September 8, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Is that Hagel at the Omaha or Obama press club?

Either way, steers and queers.

Hening on September 8, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Could we hope that Arlen Specter and Susan Collins will soon join them?

And take Olympia (abort, abort) Snowe with them.

Maine Republicrats.

Hening on September 8, 2007 at 10:43 PM

From the Hinterland? Forget it. Hagel lived in Virginia for years. Sure, he came from Nebraska at one point (or so I’m told), but suddenly decided to drop in for a visit ten years ago to run for the Senate. I never considered him anything more than a carpetbagger and never voted for him in any primaries or general elections. I would often write in a candidate if I had to.

Anyway, trust me when I say that Hagel’s never been anything but an East Coast elitist.

jaleach on September 8, 2007 at 10:52 PM

I’m calling it now. Rush will have at least one celebratory cigar.

Party at Greg Gutfeld’s place.

Hawkins1701 on September 8, 2007 at 11:31 PM

When Chucky’s replaced it’s ironic that we won’t be picking up another seat in the senate. We’ll just have a better man sitting in it.

Mojave Mark on September 8, 2007 at 11:47 PM

It’s BRUNING not BRUNNING.

Don’t you read your own blockquotes?

Sorry, but as a die-hard Bruning supporter, Google is my friend.

Bob Kerrey doesn’t have an outside chance to win that seat, either. His chances are slim to none, and slim just left the country.

And since you’ve suddenly found interest in Nebraska politics, then you should be reading Leavenworth Street.

And no, I don’t post there.

Yet.

Vinnie on September 9, 2007 at 12:32 AM

He bet against the troops and now he knows that the surge has made progress and that the troops wont be withdrawn right away. He wont be the last member of Congress to pay for betting against the troops and I am glad for that. This Nebraskan is glad he’s going away.

Yakko77 on September 9, 2007 at 12:59 AM

What outside chance? The seat went Democrat the moment Hagel was elected.

What I’d like to know are the odds that an actual conservative Republican can take the seat.

GT on September 9, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Making room for somone useful.

Good riddance.

profitsbeard on September 9, 2007 at 3:37 AM

I don’t find it likely that seat will go Dem.

Gianni on September 9, 2007 at 6:48 AM

Goodbye and Good Riddance. Hagel is among the worst of the rino’s. I am sure a solid Republican will win this seat.

robo on September 9, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Will Hagel and Linc Chafee start a new party? They could be call it The Dissentient Party.

Wade on September 9, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Beware . . . Kerrey is a Democrat. It would be a good bet to send your money to Bruning.

rplat on September 9, 2007 at 9:50 AM

rplat on September 9, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Kerrey is also a Medal of Honor recipient who lost part of his leg in Viet Nam. I know that doesn’t square too well with the idea that all Dems are somehow traitorous at heart but there it is…

Bradky on September 9, 2007 at 10:22 AM

No one ever questioned Kerrey’s patriotism or courage, particularly a guy like me that spent 35 years as a soldier. I just question politics and he remains a liberal Democrat.

rplat on September 9, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Other words would have been more accurate but I don’t care to get banned from the site.

katieanne on September 9, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Being a soldier or sailor does not a politician make.

Wade on September 9, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Hagel=a RINO when RINO wasn’t cool

saved on September 9, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Being a soldier or sailor does not a politician make.

Exactly.

rplat on September 9, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Another OPEN BORDERS ZEALOT biting the dust! Don’t replace him with another! We’re making progress!

DfDeportation on September 9, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Yawn…

bigbeas on September 9, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Oh, no more Hagel…I’ll try not to shed too many tears about that annoying RINO bunghole. Now, if we can get Goober from SC dumped and Richard Lugar, I’d call that a good start.

austinnelly on September 9, 2007 at 5:37 PM

What a loss….for the dems

“Hagel has scheduled a press conference….” Will anyone show up?

If only Lindsey Graham, Arlen Specter, Voinovich, Collins, Snowe, Lugar would do the same.

I’d like to hear of another ‘Chuck’ calling it quits.

doingwhatican on September 9, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, you putz…

D2Boston on September 10, 2007 at 12:19 AM