Audio: Fred gets (a little) testy with Ingraham over immigration votes; Update: Huckabee to Fred — I got yer Lincoln-Douglas debates right here; Update: Fred panned on first day?

posted at 2:22 pm on September 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

Just a bit, at the 11:30 mark. Staring into the crater that used to be the McCain campaign, he knows that’s an issue on which he can’t afford a reputation.

There’s some tension a few minutes before that over campaign finance reform, too, when he calls her “meaner than a pit bull squattin’ in a pick-up truck with the windows rolled up in July.” (No, not really.) He’s already pissing off the left, though, even while he’s lulling his own supporters into “a patriotic stupor.”

Exit question: Why on earth hasn’t his campaign put “The Hunt for Red November” on YouTube?

Link: sevenload.com

Update: Huck throws down the gauntlet. Will Fred accept? Er, no.

Update: HuffPo rounds up the reaction to Fred’s first speech. Oof.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Two words Fred:

RED BULL.

Or

JOLT COLA.

We’re in a global war against theocratic fascists.

It’s not lobbying for a plum role, it’s the survival of our Civilization.

profitsbeard on September 7, 2007 at 6:41 PM

A candidate who has emotions? What the…

Mojave Mark on September 7, 2007 at 6:47 PM

pedestrian on September 7, 2007 at 6:26 PM

I don’t see Mitt wanting to become POTUS under those circumstances.

Now making sure the possible future president is healthy enough to complete his term is a valid concern and no candidate has a right to the absolute moral authority card on that issue.

csdeven on September 7, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Does Fred specifically call for workplace enforcement in one of them?

FloatingRock on September 7, 2007 at 6:40 PM

I’m not sure. I haven’t gone through all of them yet, but here are his own words on the issue:

“I’ve pointed out that I don’t think that we have to have a choice between amnesty on the one hand, and trying to arrest everybody and put them on buses. Practically, that’s not going to happen. But you don’t have to choose between those if you can have attrition through enforcement, if we enforce the law with regard to employers – and we have an eligibility verification system out there that’s voluntary; it should be mandatory.”

Gregor on September 7, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Well Fred, that’s what happens when you aren’t being interviewed by your ardent fanboys Leno and Hannity. I can’t wait to see what Michele Malkin does to him, assuming he even has the Malkins to face her.

I love how he got called out the very next day. Oh sure, Fred wants Lincon-Douglas debates… just as long as he isn’t in any of them. Sure he’ll whine and complain about the crappy debate format, but don’t involve him in his own messy ideas.

Fred is such a card.. The Joker.

BKennedy on September 7, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Can you point to Mitt’s history that would lead you to believe that? I don’t see it. Mitt’s strengths include being the CEO and not a mouthpiece for others.

csdeven on September 7, 2007 at 6:12 PM

But csdeven, aren’t you looking forward to the nutroots saying “Fred Thompson sounds like a bumbling Southern idiot, you know who’s really behind everything is that evil Mitt Romney! IMPEACH THOMPSON, IMPEACH ROMNEY! ~February 2009″

BKennedy on September 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Gregor on September 7, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Yeah, that’s what I want to hear, although I’d feel better if that web site had listed its source. I’ll be looking forward to hearing Fred repeat those sentiments on the campaign trail, hopefully soon.

FloatingRock on September 7, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Fred, Rudy and John have all recovered from cancer. Mitt would be a tumor away from the presidency.

pedestrian on September 7, 2007 at 6:26 PM

LOL

JiangxiDad on September 7, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Is the logo a picture of North America, or does it just “kinda-sorta” look like it? –gregor

Yes, sort of… the logo on the NC drivers license contains a representation of the Earth with North America centered in it. But it absolutely inarguably does not “[look] exactly [like] the map of North America that is used as the background for the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America logo on the SPP website.” That is just stupid, especially since the article shows the two clearly different images side by side, and is exactly the sort of patently false claim that I expect from the likes of the Loose Change guys.

It requires a staggering ignorance to claim that any representation of north America is a de facto endorsement of some conspiracy to create a North American Union. Like I said, that article is an embarrassment to World Net Daily. The article has some good information in it, like the stuff about the AAMVA, but it goes over the edge into the conspiracy idiot territory with the North American Union, which it never even tries to substantiate.

Of course, that’s the hallmark of conspiracy theorists, isn’t it? Insinuate a lot of nefarious things, talk a lot about how somethink “looks like” something or “sounds like” something–despite that fact that it ISN’T that something–and never actually substantiate it.

You’d probably like Loose Change. You should check it out sometime.

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 8:39 PM

I also like Duncan Hunter as Veep.
Make it so, Allahpundit!!!

Dork B. on September 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Get ready to cry in your beer on election night if this is your nominee.

Legions on September 7, 2007 at 8:57 PM

gregor

Oh, noes!!!!1!!! NASA is in on it too! Why else would they have a page with an image that looks exactly like the map of North America that is used as the background for the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America logo on the SPP website?

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Do you really believe this?

The article is one big unsubstantiated conspiracy theory, founded entirely on the fact that the little logo looks kinda-sorta like one that conpsiracy theorists don’t like.

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Do you really believe the entire theory is based ONLY on that little logo? Seriously? Heh.

I guess this is your first day on the internet.

And you haven’t answered my other question:

Is there a good reason for having a logo of North America on a U.S. driver’s license, or would it make more sense to have a logo of the U.S., or in this case … North Carolina?

Here’s another:

How many cars with Mexican license plates do you see each day on U.S. roads? In the last month? The last year? How about … EVER?

Based on this alone, what would you suggest is the real reason our government would be standardizing drivers licenses between the U.S. and Mexico?

Gregor on September 7, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Get ready to cry in your beer on election night if this is your nominee.

Actually, I am more confident that Thompson could handily beat any of the prominent Dems than I am with any other Republican candidates. Style counts for a lot.

To be honest, I am hearing some incredibly irrational crap out of these comments lately, especially regarding Thompson. I knew that the comments here turned to the nutty side a while back, but I never thought I would hear such rabd “partisanship” over individual candidates. That is a new level of mindlessness.

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 9:51 PM

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Jacka$$.

It’s a photo and not a logo on an official document.

Gregor on September 7, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Why would they use a picture of North Carolina for a logo that is meant to convey a standard that is recognized across the continent? Does that make any sense to you?

Do you really believe this?

Yes, I put you in the same category as the Loose Change guys. You are exhibiting a near perfect ignorance of how our government works if you are actually claiming that some group can secretly enter into some “North American Union”. Let me be very clear: I think people who believe that are complete morons. If you believe this, I think you are a complete moron.

I guess this is your first day on the internet.

No, that is exactly why I am able to say with a lot of confidence that you are exhibiting classic internet conspiracy theorist behavior, with the same sorts of unfounded claims that are typical of such. The NAU theorists have taken an obvious and unavoidable truth–that the economies US, Mexico, and Canada are becoming more integrated in the age of globalization–and used elements of that truth to support a ridiculous, unsubstantiable theory that cannot possibly be believed by anyone with even the most barely functional knowledge of our system of government.

Off the top of my head… because we are letting their truck drivers in, and we want to enforce some minimum standards? They aren’t “standardizing licenses”, BTW (nice conspiracy theorist rhetorical trick). However, there will apparently be a single standard element that will enable some data-sharing. You are still going to get a Florida DL, or a NC DL, or a New York DL, etc., if I’m understanding it correctly.

See? That’s what it looks like when someone reads and rationally interprets an article and doesn’t jump to uneducated conclusions and start spewing hyperbolic conspiratorial rhetoric! Catch the wave!

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM

It’s a photo and not a logo on an official document.

Oh, good! So now you’re ready to make distinctions? So are you now ready to discuss the fact that the two logos shown in the article aren’t the same logo?

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Conversations are fine. But opening a campaign with a conversation is an interesting choice that might not play well on television screens – something that could be a first for the “Law & Order” star.

My favorite part from the HuffPoo roundup…they’re worried about Fred’s TV challenges…Beatles…

Crying, crying,
waiting, waiting,
hoping, hoping

Entelechy on September 7, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Oh noes!!! The US Marine Corps was planning on forming the North and South American Union Military Corps!!! Why else would a patriotic US organization have an image containing the United States with extranation geographical context?!?

This is like the SPP logo, but EVEN WORSE!!!1!!

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Can Fred actually write a script, or does he just read the scripts…???

Legions on September 7, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Look for the Dems to Hunt for Red October Surprise.

BDavis on September 7, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Nope, Laura wasn’t snarky, she does a great interview.

I agree with others in that I’m going to have to know that Fred will strongly support workplace enforcement of illegal workers. If he won’t then he’s just another amnesty shill like Rudy and Mitt. My vote is going to someone who will deny jobs and benefits to illegal aliens and deport those who don’t go home on their own. Merely securing the border isn’t enough for me.

Buzzy on September 7, 2007 at 11:56 PM

DaveS on September 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Nice job. You didn’t answer a single question, instead simply repeating your belief that everyone suggesting you’re wrong is a nutjob. Brilliant.

Here’s the question I asked:

Do you really believe the entire theory is based ONLY on that little logo?

Here’s your answer:

So, your answer indicates that you believe the entire NAU theory is based on a tiny logo put onto a NC driver’s license.

Based on this answer, I think it’s fair to say that you’re clueless.

Here’s a little research for you on that AAMVA/IRP working group:

Currently sitting on the Board of Directors and helping to make decisions on this simple little logo we’re talking about, is a gentleman named Jim Poe.

(Emphasis added)

Transportation veteran Jim Poe, manager of the current Birmingham facility, will head up the new service center. Poe has held a number of positions of increasing responsibility with CSE during his eight years with the company.

Headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, CSE has 5,100 employees, operates 101 service centers and has a fleet of more than 7,800 tractors and trailers. The CSE network covers 12 states in the southern and southeast United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico. In partnership with Con-Way Central Express and Con-Way Western Express, CSE provides full regional, inter-regional and transcontinental coast-to-coast service throughout North America. The company was recently cited in an industry survey of traffic managers as one of the top carriers in the South.

Aside from the fact that the Trans-Texas Corridor is coincidentally centered in Fort Worth Texas, this man has a huge financial interest in opening up access to trucks to and from Mexico.

Now, you’re going to say this means nothing because it makes sense to have someone in the trucking industry sitting in on matters relating to transportation, but I’m sure you can understand that choosing a man who stands to personally gain millions (if not billions) on the decisions this Board makes seems to be a bit questionable.

And how about Oscar Cruz Ruiz of Mexico? Do we need a representative of Mexico to sit on the Board of Directors of a group assigned the task of developing a security system for U.S. drivers licenses? The answer is no, but … of course the answer would be YES if the entire project had to do with much more than just drivers licenses. Maybe it all has to do with those Mexican trucks that are suddenly being allowed to do the truck driving American truck drivers won’t do. You think? Be sure to look at the

How about Richard Harris of Penske Truck Leasing?

Does this peak your interest at all?

(Emphasis added)

FY2005 Current Financial Statements Report
Treasurer Andrews reported on IRP, Inc.’s financial statements, including current revenue and
expenses for FY2005. Total revenue for FY 2005 through June 30 was $1,409,506. This was
$181,451 over the budget amount through June and due primarily to the Penske donation for the
Plan Rewrite of 20K
, the $71,000 reimbursement from insurance for legal expenses, better than
expected meetings revenue and significantly increased Clearinghouse interest.

Maybe you don’t think it seems questionable at all that a $20,000 donation from a trucking company goes to the same working group that a representative of that same trucking company happens to sit on the Advisory Board, and this working group happens to make decisions that directly impact the profits of that same Board Member.

Naw. All of this conspiracy talk is over that tiny little logo. Nothing else, right?

When you get that new drivers license with the pretty new logo on the back, feel comfortable knowing that it’s all about your safety.

Oh yes, one more thing. That claim you made that both the logos were completely different was pretty much false. Maybe you didn’t notice that they both just happened to have the same graph pattern superimposed over the top of the map. What are the odds of this? The only glaring difference between the two is that they’re different colors.

I’m sure you have a reason for your responses. I’m just not sure which group you fall into.

Gregor on September 8, 2007 at 12:09 AM

I don’t think Laura was snarky OR disrespectful. She asked important questions, but due to letting Fred speak his piece and time limitations she just couldn’t follow up. The left will be MUCH tougher on him.

I’m a little disappointed. I’ve never seen him on TV, and I kind of expected a James Earl Jones voice. And he’s had plenty of time to study the other candidates’ positions, so I was surprised he ducked that question. Not a good sign. I’m sure Hilary is better prepared. He has to get up to speed fast.

JimC on September 8, 2007 at 12:14 AM

I think Thompson was referring to someone with a mind, Huck. Not someone who spouts shop-worn sound bits during debates.

Captain America on September 8, 2007 at 12:18 AM

Laura is fair and objective, and Fred did fine.

TheSitRep on September 8, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Gawd, aren’t there better pics of Laura. How about the one shown on the front cover of her new book?

Fred has written several commentaries on his positions that Laura didn’t seem aware of. Usually she is much better prepared for her interviews.

Captain America on September 8, 2007 at 12:45 AM

I find it difficult to take any commentator seriously these days. They all seem to have a favorite and blast any other candidate. Neutrality seems to have gone out the window.

davod on September 8, 2007 at 3:20 AM

So, Fred suggests a debate with all the candidates, but Huck ain’t good enough? Don’t any of you Fred supporters wonder why this guy is continually saying stupid crap? I don’t believe he is that stupid. It’s got to be part of some grand scheme right? Just like staying out of the race was a grand scheme to get free media attention with no downside?

csdeven on September 8, 2007 at 6:26 AM

csdeven on September 8, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Even more amusing csdeven, will be the inevitable moment when the Fredhead’s tell us that before Fred’s entry the top spot as actually “the media pick ignoring the true conservatives in favor of RINOs,” whereas now it reflects the will of the majority of people.

BKennedy on September 8, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Laura was snarky and disrespectful from the get-go.

Christoph on September 7, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Laura was looking for a fight from the get go.
From all the comments about Fred and all the others on this site I don’t think anyone is GOOD ENOUGH. I would willing to bet that if Reagan was running people would be calling him a cut and runner (Lebanon), a open border President, and a trader for getting along with Tip O’Niel

KBird on September 8, 2007 at 10:44 AM

KBird on September 8, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Do you ever listen to Laura?

csdeven on September 8, 2007 at 10:57 AM

BKennedy on September 8, 2007 at 8:12 AM

The groupies are definitely taking many pages from the Paulites book of conspiratorial politicking. Amazingly they notice it in the Paulites but not in themselves. I suspect that when Fred’s campaign implodes, they will find themselves inexplicable drawn to support Paul. Birds of a feather ya know.

csdeven on September 8, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Gregor on September 8, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Dam Gregor, nice work,..Can’t figure how some are ok with letting trucks roll in from mexico(unless they profit by it). I guess they also could use some common sense to go along with their so called high intelligence.

Legions on September 8, 2007 at 11:55 AM

KBird on September 8, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Amen! These people seem to be looking for a saint, while the dhimmi’s are ready to elect absolute scum to be our CIC. “This whole thing started way too early!!” “Fred got in way too late!!” Good Lord. Alot of you folks here sound just like the idiots who get in fist fights over their favorite sports teams…

JWS on September 8, 2007 at 12:34 PM

KBird on September 8, 2007 at 10:44 AM
Do you ever listen to Laura?

csdeven on September 8, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Every weekday morning

KBird on September 8, 2007 at 2:14 PM

I like Duncan too. He is a young guy and after 8 years of Mitt, he might be ready to challenge Obama. I think Mitt would do well to tap him for VP. He has tons of upside and 8 years as VP will help him with name recognition. He’d barely be 67 years old. Still very young in political terms.

csdeven on September 7, 2007 at 5:47 PM

While I would prefer to see him as Fred’s VP, I would still be quite happy with him being Mitt’s…

doriangrey on September 7, 2007 at 5:51 PM

EXTRA!! EXTRA!! CSDEVIN AND DORIANGREY COME CLOSE TO AGREEMENT ON ONE PRESIDENTIAL ISSUE!!

Troy Rasmussen on September 8, 2007 at 4:00 PM

KBird on September 8, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Then I can’t see how you say she was looking for a fight as if it is out of the norm. She always sounds that way to people she is challenging.

csdeven on September 8, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Gregor on September 8, 2007 at 12:09 AM

God job again Gregor, as always.
Thanks.

Mcguyver on September 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM

I started off liking Fred.

The more he talks, the further away I get. Has anyone briefed him on what’s going on with conservatives? Has he been briefed on acceptable enthusiasm for presidential candidates.

If nothing else Act, my man, Act.

Ernest on September 9, 2007 at 12:15 PM

The stupider Fred acts, the more concerned I am that this entire non-candidacy/candidacy is just another plan to surreptitiously scuttle his campaign so he can convert his campaign war chest into another PAC and funnel the cash to his family, JUST LIKE HE DID WITH HIS 2002 NON-CANDIDACY/CANDIDACY.

I have not been fooled into giving him any money. I wonder if one of you Fred supporters who have given him money can email them and find out what they plan to do with the left over funds on the astronomical chance that he does not get the nomination?

csdeven on September 9, 2007 at 12:40 PM

The stupider Fred acts,
csdeven at 12:40 PM

Where o’ where is ErickPWJohnson when we need him to defend Fred?

Oooh… THERE HE IS…… Making up stories about Mitt Romney, on September 8, 2007 at 10:00 AM!!!!!!!

ErickPWJohnson, you insignificant bastard!

Mcguyver on September 9, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I started off liking Fred.

If nothing else Act, my man, Act.

Ernest on September 9, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Arthur Branch ’08: “As long as I’m not seen for more than 5 minutes at a time, I’m golden.”

BKennedy on September 9, 2007 at 2:19 PM