Video: “We don’t just cover preventive care, we mandate preventive care”

posted at 9:47 am on September 6, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s right at the beginning. “The whole idea of this is not that complicated,” he says. True enough. When your health is the government’s business, the government’s going to manage its business to keep costs down. As for the oft-stated point that this isn’t any different from private insurance companies mandating physicals, how quickly the left forgets its own rhetoric about the unique dangers when government arrogates power to itself at the expense of privacy. The whole thrust of the Constitution is that private actors are allowed to do things the state isn’t because official abuses have their own inertia. The left has no trouble grasping that in the context of wireless wiretapping. A smile from Silky, though, and a promise that he’s doing it for your own good and suddenly some of them are willing to prescribe mandatory psychiatric “check-ups.”

Comments

We simply cannot allow this travesty to become reality. Our lives literally depend upon stopping this nonsense.

bbz123 on September 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM

We are not the thought police. We are not trying to control your mind. You WILL believe the Constitution we believe in. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

BKennedy on September 6, 2007 at 9:57 AM

I have no problem with the government going through my medical records and forcing me to take physicals. Maybe even a nice Logan’s Run-type system would help with spiraling medical costs.

But if Bushitler thinks he can go through my library records… it’s on.

saint kansas on September 6, 2007 at 9:57 AM

And don’t forget that this will be free. FREE! Free healthcare for everyone! Absolutely free!

/s

IrishEi on September 6, 2007 at 9:59 AM

bbz123 on September 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM

How can “we” possibly stop anything. We for not know even how go to doctor when spatting blood.

Stupid racist americans can not be trusted to make their own choices.

sunny on September 6, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Next it’ll be mandatory work outs and closed fast food places.

The former is already being considered in Britain.

Esthier on September 6, 2007 at 10:00 AM

I’m always amazed to see that people still listen to this guy.

yo on September 6, 2007 at 10:00 AM

So unless you can afford a health care plan better than the government’s, you won’t have a choice in your health. “Pro-Choice”?

amerpundit on September 6, 2007 at 10:03 AM

I listened until I heard the quoted part. Mandated physicals?
That’s not too far a step from ‘mandated’ physical re-education camps~after all, think of the savings in health care costs if our kids all lost weight and kept in better shape.
And if tobacco and alcohol were banished, all of our lives would be improved; cancer would be drastically reduced, drunk driving (drunk living) would be a thing of the past…but who thinks that the Government should mandate whether you can drink or smoke or exercise?
“But it’s for your own good!”
I think I know my own good better than the Government does.

Doug on September 6, 2007 at 10:03 AM

“1984″ and “Walden Two” are child’s play compared to the garbage this dolt is trying to spread.

rplat on September 6, 2007 at 10:04 AM

I’m pretty sure we’re screwed on this point, dude. Every modern country in the world besides the U.S. has “free” health care. Never mind how inefficient and authoritarian it is – when you throw “free” health care at people, they’re always in favor of it. In Wisconsin, we recently passed a disastrous “free” health care bill for our state that will kill our economy and make us a welfare magnet (again). But no one’s doing anything to stop it, because the draw of “free” health care is too great.

Those of us that reject single-payer coverage are in the minority. This new millennium is all about entitlement. I’m pretty sure we’re totally screwed on this health care thing and I don’t think there’s any turning back.

Enrique on September 6, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Next stop: Prozium for the masses. Don’t want them getting too out of line now, do we Johnny Boy?

MadisonConservative on September 6, 2007 at 10:09 AM

The negative consequences of homosexual lifestyles had also resulted in a substantially lower life expectancy from the rest of population.

Looks like Silk is targeting Gays in his plans for Mandated early imtervention and prevention.

Not sure it’s a good idea for him to piss off his base.

there it is on September 6, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Enrique on September 6, 2007 at 10:07 AM

I see some hope in the fact that many other countries are seeing the disasters they’ve reaped with universal health care.

In the UK, they initially only used state run hospitals, but just a few years ago, they’ve begun to rely heavily on privately run hospitals. It may not seem like much, but it’s a start.

Esthier on September 6, 2007 at 10:16 AM

“You have to be monitored”. “You get people as early as you can.”

And the left is worried about the big-brother aspects of the right????

dalewalt on September 6, 2007 at 10:23 AM

But if Bushitler thinks he can go through my library records… it’s on.

saint kansas on September 6, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Heh. Well done.

For me, this sets up a beautiful movie script scenario, with the underground being represented by a dissident counterculture from Government Healthcare, and they make their break just before the time of their “government mandated” health care appointment.

They smoke, they drink, they carry concealed weapons (outlawed by President Edwards), they eat at McDonalds restaurants run in safe houses by the underground.

They eat cheese.

Jaibones on September 6, 2007 at 10:24 AM

The characterizations and rhetoric are ridiculous. He says his medical care bill will only cost 120 billion dollars. The health care industry in America is 2.5 trillion dollars annually.

He wants to mandate preventive care, but he doesn’t explain where the extra capacity will come from to provide these services. We would need many more doctors to do this.

He also characterizes the medical treatment that our military gets as ‘bad’. Our military has the most lucritive prescription drug programs available. The VA is a good program and does good things for our veterans while covering every one of them.

And it never ceases to amaze me that they are more willing to pay for the health care of people who don’t take care of themselves (personal responsibility) than they are to pay for the military. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT’S JOB IS TO PROVIDE A MILITARY (PERIOD). The military is the only thing that ‘private industry’ should not be able to provide America. If they aren’t spending money on a military, they shouldn’t ask for taxes.

Private industry can provide everything that the government can provide except a military. The choice this country has for ‘leadership’ is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

ThackerAgency on September 6, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Speaking of completely clueless and wrong-headed democrats…

Found a link to this in the comments at Iraq The Model.

Unbelievable. Watch the dispicable chucky schhumer piss all over Patraeus in the halls of congress.

Cowards and traitors.

techno_barbarian on September 6, 2007 at 10:29 AM

People generally fail to see the endgame in goverment controlled healthcare.

The most expensive periods of life when it comes to medical care are at the beginning and at the end of life.

Where do you think they will make the budget cuts once private insurance is no longer available and it becomes illegal to pay cash to your own doctor to treat you?

Asher on September 6, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Not enough doctors to even make this feasible. The aging Boomers are gonna suck up all the health care givers and hospital rooms soon as it is. Just shows what an ignorant fool he is.

frreal on September 6, 2007 at 10:34 AM

If only the preventative part involved exporting illegals that have never had shots for anything (& their children that are near our children at school.)

tomg51 on September 6, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Ellis Island required that you were healthy.

tomg51 on September 6, 2007 at 10:40 AM

I am so tired of our betters deciding we’re too stupid to take care of ourselves.

That reminds me, I’m overdue for that mammogram.

Meryl Yourish on September 6, 2007 at 10:45 AM

My bet is that, if this totalitarian bullcrap is actually what winds up happening, the aging boomer generation’s shuffling off the mortal coil will be quietly but systematically hastened. For the good of the many, of course.

Boomer wealth will be transferred to the younger generation and to the government itself just that much quicker via inheritance and death taxes.

For dems it’s a win win situation. They get rid of the boomers and get rich in the process.

techno_barbarian on September 6, 2007 at 10:45 AM

Edwards…what is the cost of healthcare? Up to 120B.

What is the cost of going to war in defense of America? Let’s see if we can afford it.

This thinking being hatched by the left is the same thinking that Carter applied in the 70′s. We can’t afford it, instead of we can’t afford not to. We all know how that worked out.

swami on September 6, 2007 at 10:49 AM

*snort* Hey, AP…read that part again. You’ve never worked for the gubmint, have you? ;-)

flipflop on September 6, 2007 at 10:50 AM

My Canadian friend says that Socialized health care is great—as long as you don’t get sick.

jdpaz on September 6, 2007 at 10:52 AM

That reminds me, I’m overdue for that mammogram.

Meryl Yourish on September 6, 2007 at 10:45 AM

Really enjoy your podcasts at Shire Network News, Meryl.

Outstanding.

techno_barbarian on September 6, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I hope people don’t buy this crap, we’re in big trouble if they do.

Bad Candy on September 6, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Is it possible we all misheard and he’s actually demanding government-mandated hair care?

“You. Deep conditioning treatment. Now.”

saint kansas on September 6, 2007 at 11:05 AM

That’s why I read every single story that gets posted here. You guys never fail to provide great analysis and context.

BadgerHawk on September 6, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Just goes to show how foolish the American public is. This phony’s worth tens of millions of dollars and he tries to come across as the down-trodden common man who cares so much for his fellow common man. It’s the Kennedy Syndrome rearing it’s ugly head. And the Dems eat this stuff up.

Hey Silky, how about you sell your 28,000 square foot thatched hut and donate the money into the National Health Care Fund, just for starters.

….. since your down for the folks, and care so much.

For God’s sake, my dog’s onto him.

fogw on September 6, 2007 at 11:48 AM

That’d be your two Americas right there, amerpundit. Just like you got your Americans who can offset their SUV’s with carbon offsets, and you got your Americans who can’t. Can’t these people see the humbug in this guy? Who is running around in jeans and chambray work shirts that gets $400 haircuts?!! PULEEZ! In the dictionary under the word “phony” there is a picture of this guy.

smellthecoffee on September 6, 2007 at 12:13 PM

What happens if you don’t go to the “manditory” check ups? Who decides which doctor I see? The government? I don’t think so!

ChrisIansNana on September 6, 2007 at 12:15 PM

“official abuses have their own inertia”

Cue Montoya: “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Inertia: “inertness, esp. with regard to effort, motion, action, and the like; inactivity; sluggishness.”

While it’s true that in the world of physics a body at rest tends to remain at rest, and a body in motion (barring friction, etc.) does tend to stay in motion, what’s being described is a resistance to change, and notably, in the second instance, a resistance to acceleration. A body in motion, absent external agency, also maintains a singular trajectory, which is not exactly what I think you have in mind.

JM Hanes on September 6, 2007 at 12:20 PM

JM Hanes – in a way, inertia is the right word to use. You were thinking of momentum, which is inertia in motion, but AP said “official abuses have their own inertia” which translates as “official abuses resist movement / change.”

Which works, as a descriptor.

In either case, it’s kind of nice to have an idiot like Silky fronting this stuff, it would be nicer if the MSM would go get the other Dem candidates’ opinions on it, in detail and frequently, just like they do when a Rep candidate says something stupid.

You know, with questions like “But wouldn’t this pretty much mean abandoning the Constitution entirely?” I mean, where in that document do you find mandatory doctor visits and therapy?

Merovign on September 6, 2007 at 12:26 PM

I’d rather them tap my phone…

Miss_Anthrope on September 6, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Not only is Mrs. Edwards as big a power-mad b*tch as Hillary, but her husband has delusions that he is Adolph Hitler.

Vote Democrat, vote Brownshirt!

georgej on September 6, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Given how “Silky Pony” made his early millions, will doctors under this program now be exempt from malpractice suits. This is the guy that caused insurance rates for OB-GYN’s to triple in North Carolina. And since a majority of his political money comes from trail lawyers, well……..

Wuptdo on September 6, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Doctors would only be immune from lawsuits if they joined The Party, errr, I mean the NHS Corps of Medical Pplz.

Makes sense, though, keep costs down by giving doctors a legal incentive to join the low-pay program, while simultaneously taking away the right of your victims to sue you, all IN THE NAME OF FAIRNESS!

Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but soon and for the rest of your officially shortened life…

Merovign on September 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM

If you live in New York and have an accident in Iowa.

Or something like that, Edwards said.

Under his plan, preventive care, prevented your travel to Iowa.

Sorta like your own Minority Report, eh?
And like Storm Troopers, injuries in service, grants you citizenship.

What standard determines the level of care?

Kini on September 6, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Wire taps on terrorist is a violation of civil rights but mandating a camera shoved up my ass is perfectly ok.
Thank you silky you give me so much ammunition to counter the moonbats in my poli sci class.

Mojack420 on September 6, 2007 at 1:05 PM

georgej on September 6, 2007 at 12:36 PM

*F-W-E-E-T* Flag on the play! Five yard penalty.
Gratuitous Godwnism.

Actually, I think he may think of himself more as Albert Schweitzer, bringing medicine to the userved. Actually, he’s going to be more like a union boss in a closed shop industry – “This is how yer gonna do it!”

I also like Wuptdo’s point that he’d be looking to set up his buddies for more Super Jackpot Paydays.

eeyore on September 6, 2007 at 1:13 PM

There’s no turning back now. You will listen dammit. Zsign ze’ papers old man. Whack. Whack I tell you.

Griz on September 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Name change: Silky Phony.

Aunt B on September 6, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Really enjoy your podcasts at Shire Network News, Meryl.

Outstanding.

techno_barbarian on September 6, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Ditto

RushBaby on September 6, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Monitor? Catch? Intervene?

Those are not so scary coming from your doctor. But coming from your government, makes me $h_t my pants.

conservnut on September 6, 2007 at 2:03 PM

That idiot Edwards sounds like a complete moron on each and every topic. I can’t believe a fool like that isn’t laughed off stage.

nottakingsides on September 6, 2007 at 2:26 PM

I am curious about the plan will deal with the people that have substance abuse problems.

sonnyspats1 on September 6, 2007 at 2:52 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think Liz and John are just going with their own sui generis “What I would do as Preident” Campaign. Most people, even the narcissistic ones, are tapping into a constituency they think will carry them forward. But has anyone ever heard of the “Gubmint drags your ass to the doctor (literally)” constituency?

eeyore on September 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I am curious if Edwards will award a cabinet post to Zombie Christopher Reeve when he walks again under the Edwards administration.

saint kansas on September 6, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Lets get this straight.

The government doesn’t have the right to library records of suspected terrorist or to monitor the phone calls of terrorists into this country BUT under “the Edwards plan” they will have the right to know if my breasts have been mammogram-ed and my uterus has been pap-ed —–

When HELL freezes over my friends!

Bicyea on September 6, 2007 at 4:06 PM

So will they be monitoring bowel movements?

bloggless on September 6, 2007 at 4:17 PM

eeyore: “*F-W-E-E-T* Flag on the play! Five yard penalty.
Gratuitous Godwnism.”

Upon challenge and review of the instant replay, penalty reversed. First Down. John Edwards is acting like a Nazi.

“Actually, I think he may think of himself more as Albert Schweitzer….”

Well, we all have a self-inflated view of ourselves. Personally, I’d like to have the title of “Warlord of the Universe.” Babes in brestplates and leather are such a turn on. ;^)

georgej on September 6, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Enrique on September 6, 2007 at 10:07 AM

I’m quite sure you haven’t read America Alone.

Kralizec on September 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM

eeyore on September 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM

That’s funny, eeyore, and it has the ring of truth.

Kralizec on September 6, 2007 at 5:29 PM

So will they be monitoring bowel movements?

bloggless on September 6, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Regularly.

Kralizec on September 6, 2007 at 5:30 PM

I am not sure which was more nauseating, Chris Matthews pretending to be a journalist, Edwards scrunching up his nose while sharing his Utopian vision, Lance Armstrong displaying near tearful affection for Edwards or the mindless masses applauding.

JellyToast on September 6, 2007 at 6:24 PM

“Ha…Twenty years? My health care plan calls for five minutes in the middle of the night. A simple house call by state doctors and a knock on the door at 3AM when you’re given five minutes to pack one suitcase before you are taken by health care professionals to the nearest hospital if the state deems you unhealthy and not fit.”

-Commisar Hillary

ticticboom on September 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Will this healthcare plan be offered to the illegal aliens?

bloggless on September 6, 2007 at 8:31 PM

I love the SHEEP in the audience clapping when he says he will use the police power of the state to make you go to the doctor when and where they tell you to.

Ahhh, Freedom. The sheep will vote it out of our country yet.

DavidM on September 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM

You will be Assimilated
Your life as you have known it, is over

Kini on September 6, 2007 at 9:45 PM

MadisonConservative on September 6, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Then mandated abortions for birth defects.

Then mandated euthinazia for the terminally ill.

- The Cat

MirCat on September 6, 2007 at 10:23 PM

So will they be monitoring bowel movements?

bloggless on September 6, 2007 at 4:17 PM

You took the words right out of my … uh … whatever.

My exact thoughts when I heard this from Edwards was:

Give this squidge a douche at once. And an enema too.

It took a slip and fall lawyer to make me finally understand what ‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ really mean.

His wife has breast cancer so all women must get a mammogram or be refused health insurance. What a great way to defuse rich white guilt.

If Edwards-Care becomes law, I demand colonoscopies for all members of Congress.

entagor on September 7, 2007 at 2:35 AM

Say what?

I’ve never had a mandated physical from my health insurance companies (plural as I’ve been covered by many of them).

Life insurance is an entirely different matter. Is Hillary setting off trial balloons about giving out “free” life insurance too?

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 5:54 PM