Video: Comically bad Ian Brown/Sinead O’Connor anti-war duet craptacular

posted at 5:15 pm on September 6, 2007 by Allahpundit

Not since this historic trainwreck, which actually began with the lines “Another bomb over Baghdad / You really hate Saddam dat bad?”, has there been a peace anthem as exquisitely simple-minded as this. Granted, it’s hard to be objective about these things, but never mind the politics for a moment — to find the guy who sang “She Bangs the Drums” reduced to farting out tuneless crap like this is enough to break the heart of any true Stone Roses fan. As for the lyrics, which you’ll find at Weasel Zippers, they’re noteworthy for eschewing the traditional “we’re all brothers” moral equivalence and embracing the Muslim side full fold. The line about how it’s not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog is especially stirring. There’s not much fight in these two dogs, needless to say.

His cheekbones look great, though.

Comments

Totally GHey!!!
is that O.K to say round here?
Bob

Bobnormal on September 6, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I’ll tell you what you better understand! Next time you see Old Glory riding up that pole, you better sing that anthem, darling! You’re lucky you’re a chick, or you’d be nothing but a stain on the road and a crewcut. Our founding fathers went to the mat for you, baby!

see-dubya on September 6, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Wait a minute. Sinead O’Connor is still alive?!?

madne0 on September 6, 2007 at 5:24 PM

see-dubya: Best. SNL. Sketch. EVER.

madne0 on September 6, 2007 at 5:25 PM

damn my ears hurt!

Defector01 on September 6, 2007 at 5:26 PM

There’s not much fight in these two dogs, needless to say.

I’ll resist the urge to make a tasteless Michael Vick joke.

JammieWearingFool on September 6, 2007 at 5:26 PM

How come none of these Moonbats can ever actually explain how the war is illegal? I’ve tried to point out the fact that Congress declared it, therefore making it legal, and they change their story from domestically illegal to internationally illegal. Suddenly these legal geniuses become experts in international law, when they didn’t understand their own.

The video’s utter crap. It makes no logical sense, but it gets in all of the moonbat talking points from attacking the US and Israel to rooting the enemy to demonizing the troops!

amerpundit on September 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM

It ain’t the size of the dog in the fight
It’s the size of the fight in the dog on the day or the night

So she compares the protagonists in her song to dogs? I guess no one told these sensitivity warriors that that is a great insult in the Islamic world.

Nosferightu on September 6, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Sinead who?

BacaDog on September 6, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Ouch! Couldn´t we just watch a re-run of “Open Season”??? Please, my ears beg it of you! You need some sort of “Caution: really, really bad music” warning sign or something.

mica_ar on September 6, 2007 at 6:14 PM

I prefer the theme song from Barney the purple dinosaur. It’s just as stupid but a lot more positive. Why are the leftys so depressed all the time? I thought they were happy in their weirdness. Every dang lefty I know walks around bitter and depressed all the time.

Guardian on September 6, 2007 at 6:27 PM

It ain’t the size of the dog in the fight
It’s the size of the fight in the dog on the day or the night

So, is Sinead saying Nothing compares 2 doo?

Meryl Yourish on September 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM

amerpundit on September 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM

From what I understand, they’re generally talking about the UN and that since the UN went against it, it’s somehow illegal.

Though I don’t get why Afghanistan is linked in there. Were we not allowed to fight back after 9-11?

Esthier on September 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM

So, is Sinead saying Nothing compares 2 doo?

Meryl Yourish on September 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM

ROFL!

Why are the leftys so depressed all the time?

It’s all about the angst, man. You got to feel the pain to be an artist. You got to reach deep down and hurt, man.

BacaDog on September 6, 2007 at 6:31 PM

I try to keep my appreciation for music seperate from the political views of the musicians, since so many musicians are politically ignorant (if not completely insane). But from a purely musical standpoint, that was still utter crap. Childish, derivative, and uninteresting.

TABoLK on September 6, 2007 at 6:36 PM

And here I thought Sinead would be for any war that killed Brits. I guess if it doesn’t kill Irish, too, it’s just no fun for her.

calbear on September 6, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Three bleedin’ notes. That’s all there is to the tune.

OhioCoastie on September 6, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Trust me, lefties. You really don’t want the troops to come home. They are armed, battle-hardened, and royally pissed off at you.

Spitting on people and calling them rapists and baby-killers tends to do that.

ticticboom on September 6, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Stone Roses? Well, after all the iPhone and “The View” posts, it’s only natural to keep ratcheting up teh ghey on this site with the throwaway music of The Charlatans UK, The Farm, Happy Mondays, and pop music’s Angel of Death, the dreaded Morrisey.

It’s a longshot, but AP can erase some of teh ghey from today with a link to video of a 7ft bipedal robot berzerker from the U.S. Army demonstrating its laser eyes on a watermelon tomorrow.

ScottMcC on September 6, 2007 at 7:49 PM

crap like this is enough to break the heart of any true Stone Roses fan.

Right you are, but after the first album, Second Coming was a let down anyway. So basically the circle of disappointment is complete.

the dreaded Morrisey.

I can understand some dislike for the man’s solo career, but surely you’re not including the Smiths here.

SouthernDem on September 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM

I do know Mandinka

400lb Gorilla on September 6, 2007 at 8:19 PM

They should appreciate what we are doing for them in Iraq.
For without us, they’d have nuthin to sing about.

Kini on September 6, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Foight the Rel Enamee!!! - (shred photo of BushPopeHitler)

but seriously, folks…another brain-dead celeb
strapped into their high chair, shrieks and throws their peas all over the floor and demands ice cream.

and we’re surprised, why?

Mike D. on September 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Hey, SouthernDem – how’s it feel that the vast majority of music you love is made by people who probably hate you?

In most cases I do my best to ignore that little problem and enjoy the artistry. Of course in cases like this turd, that’s impossible on two counts.

Much respect to the country artists and occasional hard rockers that record patriotic anthems, but I just can’t get by on their stuff alone.

Hannibal Smith on September 6, 2007 at 10:00 PM

amerpundit on September 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM

It IS illegal because they’ve SAID it enough times to make it so. Keep repeating a lie long enough and …

Besides, liberals don’t really believe 90% of the cr@p they spit out anyway. It’s all simply a tool to reach their goal; whatever that happens to be at the time.

Gregor on September 6, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Kiss me where the sun don’t shine
The past was yours but the fus mine
You’re all out of time

Maybe “She Bangs the Drums” was about Islam…

Alex K on September 6, 2007 at 10:54 PM

er, future’s mine

Alex K on September 6, 2007 at 10:54 PM

…but surely you’re not including the Smiths here.
SouthernDem on September 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Dude, especially those songs from The Smiths…

ScottMcC on September 6, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Hannibal Smith on September 6, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Well, first of all, you have no idea what most of the music I listen to is. You’re just basing this on the admission that I liked the first Stone Roses album from 19(?) years ago and that I still listen to the Smiths. FYI, I have a huge collection of bluegrass as well. Musical diversity is your friend.
Second of all, I couldn’t give a crap. I don’t really pay attention to musician’s political opinions (nor actor’s for that matter, which is why I still enjoy Shawshank Redemption).
In summary, Ian Brown has always been a douchey prick, but Stone Rose’s first album still rocked.

SouthernDem on September 7, 2007 at 12:01 AM

ScottMcC on September 6, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Noooo! Say it ain’t so!
How about New Order? Depeche Mode?

SouthernDem on September 7, 2007 at 12:02 AM

Apparently they want to be adored…by the moonbats.

Now for your moment of zen.

Bill C on September 7, 2007 at 12:36 AM

They’re complaining about Afghanistan?

What about 9/11, 3/11, 7/7, Bali, Beslan?

What about Daniel Pearl? Nick Berg?

“…Texas/Lexus… a commercial Crusade…a military charade…”

Sesame street meets the crypto-Marxists.

And grind the faces of the poor“-?

(Ireland’s economy is booming.)

So Muslims are little dogs according to these clowns?

(Wrong metaphor, Ian & Sinead, since dogs are ‘unclean’
in Islam

Oh, why can’t the jihadis ever hit these weasel Quisling doofuses? Why couldn’t they have been on a double decker bus, that fine July morning, instead of the sane people who were blown to shreds by an Islamofascist’s bomb?

I’m sure the Caliphate would to love to behead these whining tools.

And they sing in favor of it. From their fugue state.

Their utterly blind disconnect is painful to contemplate, it’s so infantile and venal and suicidal.

I feel a song coming on in reply:

So My Guilt Can Sleep At Night

Barre G / Dm / Cm / Dm

I’m the tool of ideology,
The pawn of Marxist pap.
I hate the world that gave me rights-
I’m an anarchistic sap!

I praise the ones who slaughter
For their god, Misogyny,
Who I take for freedom fighters
From my privileged nursery

Oh, I know my slogan-history,
Where the poor are always right.
So let’s destroy our Sanctuary
So my guilt can sleep at night.

Oh, so my gui- i- ilt…
Can sleep at night!

(No rights reserved.)

profitsbeard on September 7, 2007 at 1:12 AM

S’cool, SDem – it was empathy, not accusation. We’re in agreement. Just sayin’, it’s hard enough to come by artists whom you can support fully, so I just stick to the music as much as possible.

Hannibal Smith on September 7, 2007 at 1:18 AM

New Order never did much for me (“Regret” is a fantastic pop song, though) but I admit that I liked Depeche Mode once Martin Gore stopped writing everything on a Casio keyboard and played more guitar. Violator is a solid CD with lots of good songs. DP’s early material that Vince Clarke wrote just wasn’t as good–which is why I panned most of the stuff he wrote for Alison Moyet in Yaz and 99% of all Erasure songs [shudders].

And before any libtard lurkers sign on for their default “OMFG conseravtives R all homofobics!!1!” responses, I’m not being critical of the guys in Erasure because I hate or fear teh ghey. There’s plenty of Judas Priest and Queen (including Fight/Halford/Freddie Mercury solo CDs) in my collection… Erasure just isn’t that good.

ScottMcC on September 7, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that this song is going to make the “Top of the Pops” in the UK?

Our best allies (the Brits) are headed toward joining up with our EU antagonists, and there’s nothing we can do about it. Patton must be spinning in his grave.

Sean M. on September 7, 2007 at 6:32 AM

In a related story, Sinead O’Connor and Ian Brown have canceled their tour date in Newport News, VA, citing personal safety reasons.

James on September 7, 2007 at 7:36 AM

Phil Hartmann as Sinatra…

“shuttup baldy, I was singin when you were were a gleam in some drunken mick’s eye…SWING BABY!”

LtE126 on September 7, 2007 at 7:56 AM

The Mom’s pretty hot. I’ve never heard Dow Jones and NASDQ in a song. These guys are good, huh?

LtE126 on September 7, 2007 at 8:09 AM

As has been said, Nothing compares to poo.

This is poo.

Sensei Ern on September 7, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Hannibal Smith on September 7, 2007 at 1:18 AM

Ah, gotcha. After rereading I see that you and I do agree. Apologies.

SouthernDem on September 7, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Erasure just isn’t that good.
ScottMcC on September 7, 2007 at 2:45 AM

100% agreed.

SouthernDem on September 7, 2007 at 11:23 AM

SouthernDem on September 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Some of his solo stuff is quite good. Your Arsenal. Vauxhall & I. About half the songs from Viva Hate and “Trouble Loves Me” from Maladjusted.

aengus on September 7, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Can you say “Sucks out loud?”

srhoades on September 7, 2007 at 4:39 PM