Pew poll: Which candidate would Americans prefer, an atheist or a Muslim?

posted at 6:53 pm on September 6, 2007 by Allahpundit

No iPhone, traffic’s down, now this.

pew.png

Curiously, the frontrunner in each party also happens to be thought of as the least religious in their respective field. Although one of those frontrunners might not be a frontrunner for much longer:

pew2.png

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Not that this factored into the Zogby poll in any way :-)

Ahem, Pew poll.

RD on September 7, 2007 at 7:31 AM

I call bull crap on this…

Aggie85 on September 6, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Touché.

(AllahPundit has his way of generating network traffic, and I have mine. You took the bait – that’s all.)

CyberCipher on September 7, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Jaibones,

The other thing to keep in mind is that Hitchens doesn’t speak for me and doesn’t make that claim. Conversely, Pat Robertson doesn’t speak for Christians but claims to do just that.

In case you were wondering, Penn and Teller are probably the closest to my overall outlook on atheism and whatnot.

Krydor on September 7, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Atheists less than a Muslim? I’d rather have an atheist than ANY religious fanatic, regardless of their faith. They are more level headed and able to focus on concepts that religious folks automatically refer to scripture for.

I don’t want a theocracy, I want a secular government that respects the rights of peaceful religions.

csdeven on September 6, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Just because someone is religious, it doesn’t logically follow that that person is also a fanatic.

To figure that one out, we’d need a different poll.

There are more functional atheists than the militant kind. Britain is largely unchurched these days but people don’t go out of their way to think at length about whether there is or is not a God and how they should therefore live their lives. Much the same of the non-churchgoing in the U.S., though a larger portion of our populace still goes to worship services.

jaychandra on September 6, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Sure there are, but just like Christians, it’s their spokespeople who become the face of atheism to those who are not atheists.

I’m sick of hearing about abortion clinic bombings and purple teletubbies, but it goes with the territory.

The only time I ever have a problem with atheists is when they talk down to me.

BadgerHawk on September 6, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Or when they’re simply insulting.

“Religion is regarded by the common as true, by the wise as false, and by the leaders as useful”
- Seneca the Younger

MB4 on September 7, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Case in point. We only believe because we’re stupid and/or evil. Because of course secular principles like doing something for the benefit of all have never been followed by stupid people, looked down upon by wise people and used maliciously by leaders.

No, that never happened. It’s only religion that is the opiate of the masses.

Esthier on September 7, 2007 at 11:17 AM

I (personally) don’t find religion/lack-thereof to be a deciding factor on my vote. Usually they have to be correct on the issues.

If a Muslim was running as a conservative and happened to be in agreement with me on the issues, I would consider voting for him/her.

However, If it was a choice between two candidates, with the same exact stance on the issues; would vote for an Atheist before a Muslim, any day of the week.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 7, 2007 at 11:25 AM

One problem is that Atheist conjures up bad images for people: they think of militant atheists.

jaychandra on September 6, 2007 at 8:22 PM

1. What, exactly, makes an atheist “militant” to you? Be specific.

2. Which is worse: militant atheists or militant Christians?

3. (No need to ask about militant Muslims, because we all agree that they are the worst.)

Loundry on September 7, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Krydor on September 6, 2007 at 11:06 PM

Totally.

Bad Candy on September 7, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Give me an atheist anyday over a Muslim. The atheist wouldn’t want to kill me for being a Christian or my Jewish friends for being Jews. It’s a ninth Sura kindof thing.

Mojave Mark on September 7, 2007 at 6:56 PM