On second third fourth thought, Craig “all but certain” to resign; Update: Dems gain eight points on GOP in congressional ballot

posted at 11:41 am on September 6, 2007 by Allahpundit

The AP is touting this as yet another reversal but the quotes from his spokesman basically reflect the status quo: he intends to resign unless he can get the plea reversed by September 30. The one new wrinkle, I guess, is that he also wants his committee seats back, which depends on the largesse of the GOP leadership. Think they’re feeling charitable?

The men’s room sex sting involving Idaho Sen. Larry Craig is cracking the unity of GOP senators, sources say.

At the weekly Senate Republican policy luncheon on Tuesday, at least three senators complained their leaders “rushed to judgment” in pulling their support of Craig after it was revealed he was arrested in June in a Minnesota airport men’s room on suspicion of making sexual advances to an undercover police officer in the next stall…

Craig’s backtracking has upset many of his Republican colleagues, a Republican leadership aide said, because GOP leaders thought they had put the scandal behind them…

Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, whose surprise call for Craig to withdraw his guilty plea and fight to save his seat was key to Craig reconsidering his resignation, also addressed the meeting — which included Vice President Dick Cheney, who regularly attends…

One GOP leadership aide said Specter may be “chagrined” by what he started.

The ethics committee is keeping the pressure on him to leave. Meanwhile, professional curmudgeon Jack Cafferty reveals a surprise social-con streak by taking Craiggers out to the woodshed. Er, so to speak.

Update: Thanks, Larry.

Comments

craig’s real plan is to make mitt look like less of a flip flopper. Mitt can say – hey, at least i didn’t change my mind as much as craig!

lorien1973 on September 6, 2007 at 11:43 AM

He has shown himself completely unfit for higher office; not by the kinky-stinky stuff in the stall but rather by how he’s acted since getting caught.

Mr. Bingley on September 6, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Who is the Craig person? Why hasn’t this been in the news at all?

Asher on September 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM

The reason I don’t want a lawmaker like this in office is, whatever he ultimately did or didn’t do aside, the fact that he didn’t utilize his right to a trial is really pathetic.

I mean does he understand the common person’s rights?
In the final analysis, this is very revealing of what he thinks about us.

Mcguyver on September 6, 2007 at 11:53 AM

If he’s quitting his job in three and a half weeks, what the f does he want his committee chairs for?

What a dolt.

Christoph on September 6, 2007 at 11:56 AM

That’s what I like about HA. Doesn’t matter if you had 100k in your freezer or an expert in men’s room secret handshakes everyone gets famous. Dem or Rep, doesn’t matter, if you’re shifty you’re shifty.

Now try saying that on Salon.

Limerick on September 6, 2007 at 11:57 AM

This is beyond a joke at this point. I defended him on the charges but the man has no common sense. He wasn’t smart enough to call an attorney before he plead. What, he thought it best to hire one after the fact so as to make said attorney’s job that much more difficult? He calls a press conference to say he resigning, but changes his mind on that decision, after he actually holds said press conference. He invokes Arlen Specter’s name, and that right there is telling..He is just an idiot and he needs to go away and stay away!

Pam on September 6, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Sen. Arlen Specter (D)

Sen. Larry Craig (G)

Both are two-faced.

fogw on September 6, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Who is the Craig person? Why hasn’t this been in the news at all?

Asher on September 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM

The MSM is too busy with the Hillary/Hsu scandal to cover this. Sigh. I dream of a day when they go after Republicans with the same zeal they go after Democrats.

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Go away, indeed. Couldn’t Humping Robot fill in until a replacement is found?

Again I am reminded of a Simpsons quote: “I would appreciate it if you didn’t tell anybody about my busy hands feet. Not so much for myself, but I am so respected, it would damage the town to hear it.”

Cruising for gay sex in the men’s room I can handle, but I was grossed out the second Specter got involved. Ewww.

saint kansas on September 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM

“Go Away” says it all. And take Specter with you.

AZCON on September 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Sen. Craig, please go away. You pleaded guilty to a crime. It’s as simple as that. The damage is done.

BadgerHawk on September 6, 2007 at 12:05 PM

1 less scum in washington…now if we could get the rest of the 535 to resign this country might have a chance of becoming the greatest country in the world again.

unseen on September 6, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Not so sure. I watched some of the debates.

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I have to imagine this is part of his strategy. He’ll say ‘see, I can’t even decide if I’m going to resign a job I’ve had for 2 decades or not. . . what makes you think I know whether or not I’m guilty. When I said, ‘guilty’, I didn’t mean it, I meant ‘not guilty’.”

My issue with this guy is that he isn’t a threat. I don’t like what he did, I don’t defend what he did, but he didn’t lie under oath, he didn’t take bribes for favors, he didn’t actually DO anything. He’s just a freak perv.

I hope someone runs against him, but I don’t want to know about this, I don’t care about this. He isn’t a threat to security, he’s a threat to himself only. If Idahoans want him to be their representative, then he should be whether or not we approve or agree with what he’s done.

I wish the whole thing would be dropped. His conduct and arrest in this matter doesn’t affect the business of the Senate in any way. He should be voted out of office by Idahoans.

ThackerAgency on September 6, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Craig, quit making the “In or Out?” jokes so easy. Time to take a hike, douchebag.

ReubenJCogburn on September 6, 2007 at 12:13 PM

ThackerAgency on September 6, 2007 at 12:12 PM

hear hear.

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Gag:

But in keeping with the arrogance that has come to symbolize many members of Congress, Craig has hired a high powered crisis management team including Billy Martin, the lawyer for Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick in his dog fighting case.

RushBaby on September 6, 2007 at 12:21 PM

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 12:11 PM

need to get rid of the current crop of weeds before we can plant good seeds

unseen on September 6, 2007 at 12:21 PM

RushBaby on September 6, 2007 at 12:21 PM

a new twist on an old ad.

It doesn’t get any worse than this.

unseen on September 6, 2007 at 12:23 PM

I really wanted Craig to make himself out as some Gay “victim”, just to conflict the message coming from the left. You know, hold hands in unity with Barney and the others, and sing cum by ya, trade cruiser stories, and just have a nice gay fest over this whole thing “I am only guilty of being myself, which is beautiful”.

AZCON on September 6, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Somebody please . . . shove that fool out the door and shut it behind him.

rplat on September 6, 2007 at 12:32 PM

On one hand, I always believe Republicans should fight bogus charges if they can. But on the other, no matter how you work the semantics, Craig said he’s resigning. So he should.

He’s flip-flopped too much already…so yes, I would have to agree….”go away”.

Scandals are for Democrats.

JetBoy on September 6, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Scandals are (the lifeblood of) Democrats.

JetBoy on September 6, 2007 at 12:36 PM

added to that one.

unseen on September 6, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Oh, for Christ’s sake. Just resign already.

BacaDog on September 6, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Sen. Arlen Specter… RINO extraordinaire, has caused this additional and unnecessary embarrassment for the Republicans. The “Craig problem” was quickly resolved but Arlen, of course could not let that stand. Cloaked in Republican attire, he does all he can to advance every Democratic agenda, each and every day. Good ol’ Arlen Magic-Bullet Specter should be in a laboratory, being studied to determine how a man can become so utterly deceitful. Will Pennsylvania ever dump this back stabbing RINO ?

Maxx on September 6, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Scandals are (the lifeblood of) Democrats.

Yep. As long as they can paste an (R) after the name involved.

BacaDog on September 6, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Yep. As long as they can paste an (R) after the name involved.

BacaDog on September 6, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Doesn’t even matter if an R is beside it or not. If not some other Dem will propose a solution to the evil acts by some new government program so this “never happens again” because it’s for the children and it effects women and minorities the most

unseen on September 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM

[unseen on September 6, 2007 at 12:21 PM]

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place and Congress is a bad place to try to grow anything.

Dusty on September 6, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Dusty on September 6, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Not sure about that. some great men grew in that place in times gone by. Congress is a place only the most moral and reluctant should come IMO

unseen on September 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Democrats have opened an eighteen point lead in the Generic Congressional ballot. –Rasmussen

We’re doomed. We’re just frikkin doomed. I’m not talking about Republicans; I’m talking about the entire free world. Crap. If a Democrat-controlled Congress with the lowest approval rating since, well, ever gets this much “generic” support for their party, I don’t know what makes sense anymore.

aero on September 6, 2007 at 2:00 PM

People are stupider than ever, more promiscuous than ever, more into rap and Paris than ever, and it’s the middle of a war.

Quite frankly I expect our civilization to lose this war.

Christoph on September 6, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Folks… relax. We are a long way from the election. This is nothing more than the usual gloom and doom polls that come out about this time prior to every big election.

Maxx on September 6, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I don’t care if he resigns or not I just want him to STFU.

Buzzy on September 6, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Again . . . somebody please, kick his fool in the butt, shove him out the door and close it behind him.

rplat on September 6, 2007 at 3:44 PM