New Jihad Watch: Bullies, and the Armenian Genocide

posted at 8:56 am on September 6, 2007 by Allahpundit

Robert Spencer reminds us that bullies fulfill their threats and never keep their word when they tell us to “Keep quiet, and everything will be alright.”

Download for your iPod

Blogging the Qur’an

Jihad Watch
Religion of Peace?: Why Christianity is and Islam Isn’t

Comments

This quote of Hitler’s was posted on another thread yesterday, in response to the idea of German converts to Islam:

“Had Charles Martel not been victorious at Poitiers
-already, you see, the world had already fallen into
the hands of the Jews, so gutless a thing
Christianity! -then we should in all probability have
been converted to Mohammedanism, that cult which
glorifies the heroism and which opens up the seventh
Heaven to the bold warrior alone. Then the Germanic
races would have conquered the world. Christianity
alone prevented them from doing so.” ~Hitler

(August 28, 1942, midday)

p. 667 “Hitler’s Table Talk; 1941-1944″ translated by
N. Cameron and R.H. Stevens, Enigma Books (1953)

but then, very few Westerners know the full and accurate history of the “crusades” and about the battle of Poiters that Charles Martel won, and what that all means.

jp on September 5, 2007 at 10:41 AM

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 9:09 AM

“will cause trouble for the Jews ‘remaining” in Turkey.”

A rather telling statement…

It seems that there are now only two places on earth that Jews can live, Israel and the U.S. Anywhere else and they are “remaining” there which implies that they should hurry up and leave. What a horrible state of affairs.

Babs on September 6, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Mr. Spencer, again a valuable history lesson we should be reminded. As the famous quote goes, “If we do not remember the past we are bound to repeat it”.

Time as part of islamic fundamentalists equation for victory, is something that we can control use to overcome the bully. All that is necessary is for the public to read history and put it into proper perspective via a well constructed timeline and we will see much clearer that the time to act is now.

MSGTAS on September 6, 2007 at 9:46 AM

I think the translation that has Hitler using the word “genocide“, (above on the article’s image) is an anarchronism, because that grim neologism wasn’t invented until after WW II.

He more likely said “extermination”.

profitsbeard on September 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM

I thought I knew something of history, I’m ashamed to admit I knew nothing of the Armenian Genocide. This is why we need you Robert, our schools have failed us.

Maxx on September 6, 2007 at 10:10 AM

He more likely said “extermination”.
profitsbeard on September 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Googled it. Apparently the German is:
“Wer spricht heute noch von den Armeniern?”
which means “who today still speaks of the Armenians?”

there’s a conversation about this point here.

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Could someone provide a little more information about HR 106? I’d like to call my congressman and ask him to co-sponsor it.

thuja on September 6, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Excellent work.

Nessuno on September 6, 2007 at 10:38 AM

thuja on September 6, 2007 at 10:26 AM

You can always go to the Library of Congress website to get information on bills (text, amendments, votes, etc.). I can’t watch the video at work, so I’m not sure how HR 106 is related to this thread, but the link for it is here. If that’s not the right bill, just back up a few pages and try another search option.

lan astaslem on September 6, 2007 at 10:44 AM

How the NYT has changed in 90 years. Now they’re leading the appeasement charge.

infidel4life on September 6, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Good old Foxman. Foxman:Jews = Sharpton:Blacks

Just one yids opinion.

smellthecoffee on September 6, 2007 at 11:52 AM

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 9:09 AM

I’ve been seeing that quote pop up in several places lately. Robert’s even got it in his new book.

profitsbeard on September 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Beat me to it. Lemkin fought for years to get world bodies to recognize genocide and its victims. Even as he was trying to get ‘barbarism’ outlawed his government was appeasing the Nazis. It’s a shame that Arafat and Annan were awarded Nobel Prizes, but not Lemkin.

BadgerHawk on September 6, 2007 at 11:54 AM

I got a first hand lesson in the Armenian massacres. While in the Army and back in the 80′s I had an Armenian in my squad. When the Olympics came to Los Angeles he requested leave to attend. Reasonable enough until just a few days before leaving one of the other squad members informed me that he wasn’t going to watch the games but to exact revenge on some Turks.
His leave quickly got canceled. Never had any trouble out of him but that event still resonated with him.
More information is available here.

LakeRuins on September 6, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I have an Armenian friend that called my attention to the alliance between Turkey and Israel. He was very offended that a people that suffered genocide could think about befriending a country like Turkey, who refuses to admit their crimes. Yesterday there was an editorial in the JPost about how the genocide of the Armenians was just part of the violence of the times and how three thousand Jews were murdered by Armenians and a Turkish village was wiped out.

The Turks were savages and the Armenian and Greek histories (and others)can testify. Israel and Turkey, very strange bedfellows.

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Israel has excellent relations with Germany. We have full relations with China–Mao killed millions.
We have relations with Russia.
Turkey is a NATO member and long-time American ally.

US and Turkey. Strange bedfellows?

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Here is the chronology of the year 1916 of the genocide. Breeze through some of the events and see if you see something that sounds slightly familiar even now 100 years later.

LakeRuins on September 6, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Turkey is a NATO member and long-time American ally.

US and Turkey. Strange bedfellows?

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 12:44 PM

You beat me to it.

ncc770 on September 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Israel has excellent relations with Germany.

If Germany had never admitted the holocaust occurred and it was a crime to admit it, would Israel have a diplomatic relationship?

US and Turkey strange bedfellows, of course. Why else did they pull out of the agreement to allow our forces to have access to Iraq through their territory, which resulted in the loss of American lives?

US/Turkey, US/China are strange bedfellows. As I read the news each day, US and China have a relationship that just keeps getting stranger.

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Ok. I’ll give you the German example. And yeah, it’s trite, but politics make strange bedfellows. Just felt that making modern Israel or its politics in any way related/responsible for the Turkish war on Armenians is going way too far.

Everybody has relations with Turkey. Find someone else to hold to a higher standard.

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2007 at 1:21 PM

That was motivational.

PRCalDude on September 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Watching History Repeat itself.
Unlike Edwards, Bushes Bumper Sticker War.
We have been warned three times.
And Plots are unfolding.

Kini on September 6, 2007 at 1:56 PM

According to Wikpedia.org, Armenia was the first nation to adopt Christianity as its state religion. The massacre of 1.5 million Armenians was really one battle in the ongoing war between Islam and Christianity.

I’ve been told that during the crusades, the Muslim world was not even aware that the attacks were part of a larger campaign. You could excuse that back then because of poor communication. The fact that the West refuses to acknowledge the same today is not excusable.

pedestrian on September 6, 2007 at 2:06 PM

WOW!, What an eye opener.

KCtheKat on September 6, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Israel being responsible for the Turkish slaughter of Armenians was never mentioned. There was no Israel at the time anyway. What is related is the topic of this thread. Armenian historians have not missed the connection between Hitler’s comment, the Jewish genocide by Germany (which Islam was part of)and the common issue of both Armenians and Hebrews being subject to genocide.

Two friends from Jerusalem had planned on visiting Turkey and canceled their plans after bombs started going off in the Jewish quarter of Istanbul.

Am I picking on the Turks? Did I mention they were responsible for the First Crusade?

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 2:35 PM

It’s a good thing you didn’t call them Muslims, We wouldn’t want to let the cat out of the bag.

KCtheKat on September 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM

If you want to read the future history of Europe, check out

Until the late 19th century, Armenians were referred to as millet-i sadıka (loyal nation) by the Ottomans.[8] Under the millet system of Ottoman law, Armenians (as dhimmis, along with Greeks, Jews and other ethnic and religious minorities) were subject to laws different from those applied to Muslims. They had separate legal courts, although disputes involving a Muslim fell under sharia-based law. Armenians were exempt from serving in the military and were instead made to pay an exemption tax, the jizya; their testimony in Islamic courts was inadmissible against Muslims; they were not allowed to bear arms, and they were heavily taxed,[9] although they were one of the largest minorities in the Ottoman Empire.[10]

pedestrian on September 6, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 2:35 PM

KCtheKat on September 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM

The people who called for the first crusade in 1095 were completely different from those who perpetrated genocide on the Armenians in 1919. Up until 1453 the region was primarily Christian under the Byzantine Empire, when it was conquered by Sultan Mehmed II. The city of Constantinople was renamed Istanbul and became the capital of the Ottoman Empire. So to link the crusaders with the Armenian genocide is in error. As would referring to them as Muslims.

Zaire67 on September 6, 2007 at 5:47 PM

I have never heard of this genocide, which I find stunning. The Ottomon Empire was never a major topic of any of the history classes I took. The Byzantine empire was actually covered more in depth, but that seems less relevant to modern events.

Resolute on September 6, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Bravo, Robert! An eloquent statement of truth that I hope reaches Foxman’s ears, as well as those of our representatives.

Connie on September 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Hening on September 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Everyone has strange “bedfellows” as allies. But always remember that they aren’t friends, they’re advantagous relationships between countries. Just think about the US, Britian, Australia, and RUSSIA as allies in World War 2. Russia with Stalin in charge. Communist Russia – responsible for massacring 20 million of its own people. Why were they allies? Because they had a common enemy. Were they allies for long? Nope.

When you have diplomatic relations with another country, sometimes it’s a tightrope of knowing what their sins are and knowing that the relationship is simply a politic or strategic advantage. That’s all. I know this seems mean or cynical, but if you watch how quickly nations turn on each other, you realize how very fragile foreign relations are.

Oh, and by the by, Israel has relations with both Jordan and Egypt where many, many people (including those in government) are Holocaust deniers. So yeah. And don’t forget Palestine. Hamas and Fatah are just chock full of deniers (yet Israel keeps trying).

mjk on September 6, 2007 at 10:10 PM

I’m half Armenian. My great grandfather was tortured by the Turks during the war because he was suspected of manufacturing arms. My resourceful great grandmother bribed a guard and smuggled him out of prison and they fled as refugees to Lebanon. My great grandfather never spoke a word for the rest of his life.

Here’s the deal about the Armenian genocide. It is estimated that between 1 and 1.5 million Armenians were systematically killed by the Ottoman Turks. To this day, Turkey refuses to acknowledge that it ever happened and to my knowledge, records from the Ottoman Empire remain sealed.

I met a Turkish fellow while doing my master’s degree, and according to him, what they were taught in school is that yes, there were many Armenian deaths, but this was all in the course of war, because the Armenians initiated an insurrection (which is false).

As it stands now, most European countries have adopted resolutions recognizing the Armenian genocide, and the fact that Turkey still refuses to recognize it suits the Europeans well, because it is one of the main issues that allows them to prevent Turkey from joining the EU (they have enough problems with Islam as it is).

Canada, where I live has also adopted a similar resolution, alas who cares about Canada does, we have little power internationally. Note that the Armenian diaspora is similar to the Jewish one, which has allowed for these resolutions to be passed.

Now we come down to why a similar resolution has not been passed in the US. It all boils down to cost/benefit. Turkey is a big ally and trading partner with Israel, which needs all the Muslim nation allies it can get. Ditto for the US, in terms of being an ally. If I’m not mistaken, Turkish airspace came in quite handy during the initial attack on Iraq. I think there’s also a military base there.

So in the end, it comes down to pragmatism. I personally don’t blame the US and Israel for the positions they’ve taken. It does not erase the massive amounts of evidence that the Armenian genocide happened. There are bigger fish to fry in this day and age.

Clouds on September 6, 2007 at 10:22 PM

I have many Armenian friends and Greek friends. As a Jewish American, in my heart I can’t understand why Israel has an alliance with Turkey. I also live in the real world and I know Turkey has no love for Syria. Turkey is a secular Muslim country with an elected government. This is something which works in Israel’s favor.

A few years ago Syria and Turkey were in a serious disagreement concerning water rights. I think Syria thought better of pulling something while having a very strong military on their far border.

Politics makes strange bed fellows.

Mooseman on September 7, 2007 at 7:35 PM

I have a close friend whose Armenian grandparents came to this country to escape the genocide. She claims that not only did Hitler ask “who remembers the Armenians?” but that he modeled the idea for the Holocaust on that particular event.
It’s sobering that only Armenians and those who know Armenians seem to know of this truth.

Kimmer on September 7, 2007 at 9:22 PM

God bless you, Robert Spencer, and thank you for repeatedly preaching the deadly perils of ‘chamberlain-ism’ in this new millennium.

locomotivebreath1901 on September 8, 2007 at 10:06 AM