Video: Whoopi makes amends to PETA for Vick comments

posted at 6:12 pm on September 5, 2007 by Allahpundit

They let her have it so she had to atone. She wasn’t excusing what he did, she was merely explaining why he might have done it. The fact that her explanation, that Vick didn’t realize dogfighting was wrong, was flatly incorrect doesn’t come up. How incorrect was it? Read this. Key quote:

Hearing about Vick’s involvement put Humane Society officials in a quandary. Sharing the information with either the Falcons or law enforcement authorities might have alerted Vick, Goodwin said, allowing him to hide evidence from investigators. Keeping the information private, though, would enable Vick to maintain the secrecy so crucial to his activities.

As for the little scoop at the end, I tremble in anticipation, not knowing whether to hope for someone boring and appealing or a deranged banshee in the Rosie mold, like Margaret Cho. For traffic’s sake, I fear the terrible choice is clear.

Update: Boring and appealing.

Comments

Joy – “This is the most menopausal group of women, anywhere!”

I’m starting to hate myself for watching these clips. A million brain cells cried out in horror, and were suddenly silenced.

Spirit of 1776 on September 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM

I love that Joy managed to work in a “poor Ron Paul” reference.

I also enjoyed Elisabeth’s reaction after Joy said “This is the most menopausal group of women ever”

JadeNYU on September 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Whoopi–welcome back to the world. Whoopi said it was an explanation, not an excuse, but it seems that it was a poor excuse for an explanation!
If she thinks dogfighting is a southern culture thing I’d like to know where she was visiting to get that idea.
It wasn’t where I grew up.

Tennessee Dave on September 5, 2007 at 6:34 PM

We desperately need an Episode of ‘The Vent’.

CrazyFool on September 5, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Like I said before, after enduring the endless out of control tirades of Rantin’ ‘n Ravin’ Rosie, anything that Whoopi has to say is still a breath of fresh air.

pilamaye on September 5, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Perhaps I shall eat my words later, but Whoopi does appear more levelheaded than Rosie.

In other news: Joy Behar supports Ron Paul for Republican Primary 2008; finally finds commonality with internet trolls.

Lastly:

Joy – “This is the most menopausal group of women, anywhere!”

IT BURNS! IT BURNS WITH THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS!

BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 6:39 PM

I like Whoopi.
Sister Act. ’nuff said.

VolMagic on September 5, 2007 at 6:56 PM

That was the longest non-apology I ever heard. What they REALLY need is a couple of more like Elisabeth. No problem with menopause there.

Guardian on September 5, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Guardian on September 5, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Hmm… four attracive women of childbearing age hosting a TV show that purports to be serious but usually misses the mark…

Sounds like an improvement!

BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 7:19 PM

It wasn’t where I grew up.

Tennessee Dave on September 5, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Damn straight! It AIN’T NO Southern culture thing, it’s a barbarian culture thing. I demand an apology from Whoopie!!!

AND I’d like to know why all the apologists for Vick choose to whine about how miss treated and understood the poor boy is for dog fighting when.. it ain’t just the dog fighting .. it’s the torture and brutality of killing the dogs in heinous ways as some kind of barbaric ritual of the spoils of war!

Texas Gal on September 5, 2007 at 7:27 PM

I don’t like this role for her. I prefer Guinan.

Asher on September 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Sound like how Geraldo explains away illegal immigration.
Great minds tink alike, emphases on tink.

Will the fifth person on the hot seat be Danny DiVito?

Kini on September 5, 2007 at 7:35 PM

She’s playing Rosie’s “I’m a victim of the press” card… She says something about how (paraphrasing because it’s too annoying to listen to again) “if you see the reports, I’m swinging cats by the tail”, “no one is reporting what I actually said, they edited the clips”, etc. etc. Joy compares her victimhood to Ron Paul’s, etc. No one said mischaracterized her, they busted her idiotic “it’s because Vick is from the south” comment.

Again, it’s not a “southern” thing, it’s a thug/ghetto/black problem, NOT a southern thang.

(Disclaimer, again for the turds: Not all black people are involved in dog fighting, and not everyone involved in dog fighting is black).

RightWinged on September 5, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Uh, dog fighting is a Southern thing? Is that Moontard code for saying it’s the Hillbillies who are to blame for Micheal Vick? A vast Redneck Conspiracy. He’s being targeted because he is a Quarterback of Color.
No, that’s inaccurate. He is responsible… but
no, not really because he didn’t really know it was bad, due to the Redneck culture of the South somehow. Ultimately.

I’m waiting for someone to say, you know, “aren’t we all to blame, really, you know, when you think about it? I mean, Micheal Vick let us down, but haven’t we all let Micheal Vick down, as well?”

Dork B. on September 5, 2007 at 7:56 PM

I don’t like this role for her. I prefer Guinan.

Asher on September 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Yeah, I like the STNG character. Especially the pizza hat.

Kini on September 5, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Newport News VA is the deep south?????

I don’t think so. As a neighbor to what I can only call a small-town-hoodlum city, I can confirm that our region can’t even get Southern-state status – we’re considered Eastern or Mid-Atlantic.

As for replacement Sherri — are they saying a black female Hollywood-type is going to be providing the conservative balance, while Elizabeth is on maternity leave? … Huh. Doesn’t seem especially balanced at first glance, though I suppose she COULD lean right.

eucher on September 5, 2007 at 8:00 PM

I was kind of hoping Roseanne Barr would be the fifth wheel. For AP’s sake.

Canadian Infidel on September 5, 2007 at 8:24 PM

A few thoughts:

Whoopi: “I don’t know how these things happen.” Easy, you opened your mouth, dim bulb.

Who dresses Elizabeth? Yesterday was great; today, back to the Goodwill rejects.

Nice way to play the race card Barbara. I guess I can’t be disgusted about Michael Vick based on his behavior. I must have had some kind of latent, rascist reaction. Thanks for telling me.

Joy, as always, coming out of left field.

Mallard T. Drake on September 5, 2007 at 8:44 PM

I like Sherri Shepard..I hope it is her

Pam on September 5, 2007 at 8:49 PM

Could you please tag these things to indicate if there is a close up of Elizabeth, and roughly how far through the tape it is. Otherwise I’m done with them.

doufree on September 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Hey Whoopi there was a culture of lynching down South, want to understand that?

Hilts on September 5, 2007 at 9:08 PM

What Whoopi said yesterday sure sounded like an excuse for Vick’s bad behavior to me.

It’s not his fault, he didn’t know better because he was raised there.

I suppose it’s possible to find someone who has been isolated enough to fit that profile but Micheal Vick went to college and that’s not exactly an isolating experience, he knew better.

Speakup on September 5, 2007 at 10:48 PM

I think we should have OUR version of the View:

MM, Ann Coulter, Debbie Schlussel, and Me!! We would kick liberal/terrorist/criminal alien @ss into oblivion! We could have a guest on like Alec Baldwin and rip him a new one/have him for lunch. LOL!! Or Sean Penn. I’d give him 4 seconds in the ring with us before he ran back to Hollyweird crying! LOL!!

I’m getting excited just thinking about it!

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on September 5, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Sherri Shepherd is joining them…. because they still need the stereotypical overweight , finger-snappin’, sassy black woman on the panel.

Absolute racial paternalism.

Lothar on September 5, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Who watches this garbage anyway? I’ve never watched a clip of this crap ever nor do I have any plan to. Don’t answer that!

Egfrow on September 6, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Goldberg is as big an a-hole as Rosie was, but without the overtly-hostile bull-dyke lesbian shtick. She clearly and openly suffers BDS and her presence means more overt lies, more smarmy, vicious, attacks on Bush, Republicans, and conservatives.

I do NOT wish her well.

georgej on September 6, 2007 at 4:48 AM

I thought Whoopi did a fine job explaining something she shouldn’t have had to explain. It seemed clear to me what she was trying to say about Vick and certainly wasn’t condoning it. At least she’s not shrill like that awful Joy Behar…that republican thing? Is that what she said? Ack! She just comes across as dumber than dumb.

Oh, well, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter and I only get to see these clips since they haven’t crossed the Atlantic yet (thank God!).

yggdrasil on September 6, 2007 at 6:19 AM

What is BDS????

hotvol on September 6, 2007 at 1:41 PM

When someone removes the doubt that they are a bigot like Goldberg has, any further credibility of their points of view become null and void. Walters is the next Rather in that she has over-stayed her purpose for being on the air. She has absolutely nothing to contribute that is relevant. Can this show actually draw enough viewers to keep it on the air?

volsense on September 6, 2007 at 5:09 PM

hotvol: “What is BDS????”

It stands for “Bush Derangement Syndrome.”

It was coined by MD (Psychiatry) and columnist Charles Krauthhamer. He defined it as “the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency—nay—the very existence of George W. Bush”.”

See also: Dr. Pat Santy’s blog entry, “Let’s Discuss Bush Derangement Syndrome Again,” for an in depth discussion about the etiology of the syndrome.

georgej on September 6, 2007 at 5:25 PM

I like Whoopi.
Sister Act. ’nuff said.

‘Sister Act’ was scripted! It’s when Whoopi thinks and speaks for herself is when she get;s into trouble!

Bearhopi on September 6, 2007 at 6:54 PM

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on September 5, 2007 at 11:11 PM

I just got a little “excited” just thinking about what you wrote…will you marry me?

right2bright on September 6, 2007 at 7:46 PM

BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 6:39 PM

That’s the problem. She appears more levelheaded, but is just as extreme. Rosie freaks everyone out, because her psychosis is out where everyone can see it. Whoopi comes across as reasonable, even though she’s just as nuts. This gives her more influence.

Also note the non-apology. She was misunderstood. No one grasped the nuance of what she said.

ticticboom on September 6, 2007 at 7:54 PM