Fox News: More Fred staff defections, public grumbling on the way? Update: “This has changed things”; Update: Rumor — Fred’s spokesman out too?

posted at 3:46 pm on September 5, 2007 by Allahpundit

This could have gone as an update to the video post but it’s Fred Day on HA and it’s way too juicy to bury underneath crap. Devastating, and most assuredly something to be read in full but without a shaker of salt: Jim Mills, the staffer who was let go today, is after all a former producer at FNC so it’s safe to assume at least that it was written with some sympathy for him and at worst that he’s a source. Sample:

The original Fredheads are no longer angry or frustrated; most have been fired already or given up. The remaining originals say they will quit soon…

As one insider said of Mills’ departure, “he was recruited and hired by the candidate and his wife and they did not have the guts to let him go themselves. They have wrecked his life and it’s totally wrong.”

Mills has become the biggest victim, but there are literally a dozen people who also left successful careers in Washington and elsewhere who now find themselves out of work — and many are suspicious that they were misled. Expect some public statements soon.

Some parts of the article don’t make sense, either. They claim that Fred’s abandoning his new media strategy with a more traditional, “corporate” rollout. Really? By using “The Tonight Show” as a platform to invite people to check out his 15-minute web video?

I spoke to a political-strategist friend this afternoon and we both think Fred’ll be fine if he has a good month. For all the annoyance among the base with his anticipation-building delays and conservative messiah posturing, he’s got plenty of natural advantages and a weak field of candidates to compete with. A solid showing in his first debate and some momentum in the polls over the next few weeks and none of you will care about any of this. Exit question: True or not?

Update: Geraghty taps his sources at Team Fred and corroborates the report that Mills was treated badly. At least a few people aren’t happy about it. If Fox is right and the disgruntled former staffers start talking, it’s going to be a nightmare distraction for Fred’s rollout. You’d have thought they would have kept Mills around for at least a month or two, if only for that reason.

Update: Big day for Geraghty — multiple sources are now telling him that Mark Corallo, Fred’s spokesman since the start of Fredmania (and the man responsible for denying that Fred had ever lobbied for any abortion rights group when in fact he had) is on his way out too. What a meltdown to have all this coming down on launch day. I wonder if Hannity will ask him about it tomorrow night during their interview.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Personally, I don’t know. If one of those two is the top of the ticket, that in of itself could be a problem. Not with most conservitive southern states but with those border line states like New Mexico and Louisianna. It will take at least a strong conservative candidate with a strong message to carry those type of states and if it is a southerner that helps.

I held out hope that it was Fred for a while, but hope is waining.

conservnut on September 5, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Well why don’t you email Michelle and ask her if she feels all foreigners should be barred from taking part in Hotair discussions?

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:29 PM

I have a better idea, why dont you try reading her book “Invasion” and see if she thinks citizens of foreign nations should be taking part in our political process…

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Hmm. I feel that either ticket could be a winner. Why is it you feel Romney would weigh Rudy down?

It’s complicated, but it’s mostly psychological. Guiliani has proved his toughness under fire and very publicly. So his strength is not in doubt.

If Guiliani was on the top of the ticket, you would have Romney there and people would doubt his strength relative to Guiliani… if nothing else, a VP has to be seen as someone strong who can step into the top job at a moment’s notice.

Mitt is a capable chief executive, but is viewed by many as being somewhat plastic and “nice”… I think the position of vice presidential candidate would not give him enough exposure and opportunity to redefine that, although being at the top of the ticket would.

If Romney was at the top of the ticket, Guiliani would be his strong potential replacement… if Guiliani was the top of the ticket, he would be better off looking for someone more established with foreign policy and/or security experience.

In the south this ticket may have some problems, BUT, I don’t think the south is going Democrat. It’s the steel belt that will decide it.

Do you think either one would?

Romney, yes, Guiliani, probably not. Unfortunately. Because I do think that would be our best ticket considering the candidates thus far.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Now that he’s announcing I think we’ll know soon enough whether it was worth the wait.

TexasDan on September 5, 2007 at 5:37 PM

True, I expect to have my mind made up about him in the next few weeks.

conservnut on September 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Commenting on a blog hardly counts as taking part in our political process. We’re talking – it’s not as though our rights as Americans or the integrity of our political process are threatened by Christoph’s words.

Funny that I don’t hear similar cries for restraint when we’re discussing Mexico’s immigration policies.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Exit question: True or not?

I’d say not. Is this an indicator of how he will choose his cabinet and staff? It looks more and more like a man without a real plan other than to appear as the “chosen one”.

Bradky on September 5, 2007 at 5:45 PM

I do love the hockey analogies, though. Just a couple of weeks till pre-season starts!

techno_barbarian on September 5, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Love it! Played my whole life since the age of 4, through college and now in the always humbling men’s leagues. Soon I’ll be living on my NHL Center Ice package. Sure do wish the Bruins didn’t suck. And just for the record my name here on Hotair is derrived from two of my best fantasy players last season. Can you guess?

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:46 PM

I don’t think the south is going Democrat.
Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Most of it won’t, but don’t forget, Bush got some of those states by the skin of his teeth. Not all southern states are completly conservative.

conservnut on September 5, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Two weeks ago Lacy tossed out the speech and plan and replaced it with the video announcement and plans to skip tonight’s FOX News debate at the University of New Hampshire.

The video remarks were written largely by adviser Spencer Abraham

Am I the only one still suspicious of this person’s involvement?

I’ll reserve judgment of Fred until I see him in action, but it’s disconcerting to me that while most of the original Fred heads that were there from the beginning are now gone while Spencer Abraham is still around and writing such an important speech.

FloatingRock on September 5, 2007 at 5:48 PM

citizens of foreign nations should be taking part in our political process…

You mean like Mark Steyn commenting on politics for nations all around the world (including the United States before becoming a citizen)?

And there is a difference between two free citizens who happen to belong to neighbouring countries discussing politics… compared to a foreigner “getting involved with your political process”.

Do I donate to any American candidate?

Do I vote?

Etc.

I do however talk with Americans about politics, Canadians about politics, and others too. You, however, feel that your country would be better off if all political ideas came from inside, presumably.

Funny that. My Prime Minister, before winning an election many thought was impossible, went to Australia to learn from John Howard’s conservatives… funny how they “interfered” with Canadian politics by talking to him… and, indeed, has spoken at the U.S. Heritage Foundation…

I guess he “interfered” with American politics.

Bill Clinton was in my city talking about something… “interfering with our local politics”…

You really are a close-minded, fearful of outside ideas, unable to compete on your own intellect, grade-A moron.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Interesting. I wonder if that perception could hurt Mitt in the primary process?

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Hockey?
Come on guys, that’s no sport. Just a bunch of toothless yankees beatin on each other with sticks!

Let’s see if I can get anyone mad at me.;-)

conservnut on September 5, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Jeez, did I wander into South Park Elementary School? Can we have a time out now?

Zetterson,

I have not always been a big fan of Christoph’s, and I’m sick of his schoolyard fight with doriengrey, but I see nothing wrong with a Canadian commenting here, and I’d be thrilled if Mark Steyn happened to pop in.

Hollowpoint,

Quite a tangled web of minutiae you’ve woven there.

Frankly, I don’t think that either one of them have “flip flopped” as much as matured over the years, but that’s your characterization of Romney and now you’re stuck with it.

Buy Danish on September 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:29 PM

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 5:42 PM

So I’m guessing you are not going to email her with the question then? Why not? If you are so sure about how she feels then I’m sure she’d be shocked! shocked! to find out a friendly Canadian fellow has dared take part in our little discussions. Shocked!

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:52 PM

I guess the U.S. should pass a law prohibiting foreigners from discussing anything that might be political with Americans.

Although, how they will enforce that as I sit at my computer in Canada, thwarting your country’s history and tilting the election inexorably toward Mitt Romney, is a mystery.

I guess, they could draft a law prohibiting Americans from talking to Canadians during an election.

Or, they could pass a law prohibiting Hot Air from allowing Canadians to comment during an election.

Do you think any of these would pass the Supreme Court? Or get popular support?

The fact they wouldn’t… should be some proof to you about how stupid your idea is.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Last Friday Corallo told me he was not as involved with the Fred Thompson effort as he used to be; after a long amount of time working as a volunteer for Fred, he was turning more of his attention to his paying clients.

Hmm… sounds like he was out for awhile.

bnelson44 on September 5, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Hockey?

Let’s see if I can get anyone mad at me.;-)

conservnut on September 5, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Hahaha. Watch yourself now! If you left me with any room to argue perhaps I’d say something in response. But how can I argue with truth?

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM

I read this from Medved a couple of days ago and he makes a good case that this field is actually pretty strong compared to recent GOP choices. Maybe it’s just that we keep over-promising to ourselves and the GOP keeps under-delivering.

MT on September 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM

It’s my perception. I don’t know that it’s widespread.

If I were either man, I’d do my best to win it, but serve as VP if necessary.

However, who knows if either of them even want the other. And I could be reading them wrong.

I think Mitt is campaigning to win… but unlike Guiliani, he has to have known the odds were against him so might be prepared for a loss and a good show to get VP or position himself for president in 4-years assuming Republicans lose, which Allahpundit assures us they will.

Guiliani, on the other hand, may simply picture himself as chief executive and may not be able to be in a lesser role.

I could be wrong, but such is my speculation.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM

MT,

I think both fields, Dems and Reps have a pretty broad spectrum of candidates to choose from. Given the longer primary period, we have had a chance to really take a good look at all of them now.

bnelson44 on September 5, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 5:52 PM

A friendly nuc who accused me of dishonesty who interjected himself into a conversation between me and csdeven who failed to make the disclaimer that he wasnt even a US citizen and actually had zero say in US politics? Chris is the equivalent of someones spinster virginal aunt giving advice on the best way to have sex to a nephew or niece who already has five children.

Furthermore regarding Michelle she is the perfect gracious hostess, however her views on the subject are well documented. Had Chris one single ounce of class or ethics he would have known not to discuss certain subjects in Michelle’s house. His intellectual dishonesty in doing so speaks as much about him as his failure to provide a disclaimer about not being a US citizen and accusing me of dishonesty for not providing a link to a verbatim quote clearly marked as coming from Rasmussen exposes his hypocrisy.

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM

I think that may be a pretty accurate perception.

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:04 PM

I’ve only said I’m Canadian like 100 times in these threads, doriangray.

And as a matter of logic, my being Canadian has no bearing on the accuracy or not of anything I say.

But as a man who can’t debate honestly or well, you wouldn’t grasp that.

Should Michelle shut up and stop talking about what Mexicans should do with their own policies, people they should elect, etc?

Will you or I be the one to politely ask her to shut her cakehole and now talk about Iraqi politics, or French, or German?

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Sorry I disagree, the fate of this nation is far to important to allow foreigners to influence who we elect. Hell why not just allow foreign nations to donate as much money as they want to influence who gets elected. No, Christopher needs to sit down and shut up.

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Sorry, but you are out of line, dorian. Christoph has every right to voice his opinion and I am sure MM, AP and Bryan would agree. He is not trying to influence our elections; he is voicing his opinion, which is what comment sections are for.

I find it refreshing that someone from another country goes to the trouble to keep up to date on politics here. Like it or not, our country leaves mighty footprints wherever we tread, and what happens here affects people everywhere.

The most common criticism I hear from Canadians regarding the U.S. is that none of us have any clue about what is going on in Canada. They are absolutely right; most Americans couldn’t even tell you who the Canadian Prime Minister is. We should be grateful to have such a peaceful northern neighbor and should welcome their discourse–and maybe take a lesson from Christoph.

IrishEi on September 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Pretty much, yeah. But so much fun to watch.

My only brush with hockey fame was being in the same sociology class as Paul Kariya in college.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM

*not

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:06 PM

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Wow, I never thought I would hear such things coming from the same guy who attempted to argue in favor of dog fighting. Now I’m shocked!

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Hey cool! Great player. Nice guy too.

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM

IrishEi

Beautiful use of the English language. As a sometime copywriter, if only for myself, I appreciate it!

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Hey cool! Great player. Nice guy too.
Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Yeah, didn’t really get to know him all that well, but he was always pleasant in class. Never seemed full of himself like other players on the team.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Prager has me convinced that gratitude is one of the keys (maybe the key) to happiness, so I’m trying to remind myself regularly of all the things I/we have to be grateful for… and although none of the candidates are perfect, I think we do have some genuinely good options compared to previous presidential primaries. I’m grateful that we’re not debating between George Bush, John McCain and Bob Dole.

MT on September 5, 2007 at 6:10 PM

bnelson44 on September 5, 2007 at 5:59 PM

What? Longer primary period? Maybe I’m on the wrong planet?

MT,

Thanks for the link to Medved.

Buy Danish on September 5, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Exit question: True
It looks like a typical Hollywood rollout to me. Has there been a major movie in the last five years that didn’t break a scandal involving the lead person the week before it opened?
In Hollywood, any publicity is good publicity.

arkansasmike on September 5, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:10 PM

And you’ll find that to be true about most NHL players as well. Generally humble guys as compared to the average pro athlete. Of course their are exceptions but for the most part you will find that to be true. Its especially true, though, with the best players. The better they are the more humble they seem.

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM

What you fail to grasp, doriangrey, that everyone else does, is that a country becomes stronger, not weaker, when exposed to more ideas.

If you think Americans have all the answers, I have news for you.

They don’t.

Case in point… the American nation was “influenced” by foreigners originally from Rome, Greece, France, and Britain at its founding… and often by their powerful ideas. You think the founding fathers would have refused to have long and probably heated discussions with “foreigners” about political ideas… or do you think they would have relished it.

Me too. Because they were more than twice my, and 100 times your, intellectual capacity.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM

It would appear that Fred’s Clintonesque, err, I mean, “heavily scripted, well polished” announcement is not going nearly as well as Fred had planned.

Where the hell is Jeri? She needs to fix this mess now!

BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM

The better they are the more humble they seem.

In various jobs I’ve held, I’ve often dealt with NHL players. You simply can’t tell they’re NHL players unless you ask them what they do, in my experience.

They didn’t mention it. Just act like regular people. Successful, but not there to show off.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM

That’s pretty cool. I’m not a huge hockey fan, but do enjoy watching UMaine play. I attended college there at a good time – I saw a live game in the 92-93 season when Mike Dunham, Garth Snow and Kariya were playing.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:20 PM

I wonder if Laura Ingraham will ask about this on her radio show tomorrow…

jdawg on September 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM

I guess I’m just another one of those foreigners that dorian has a problem with…

Why do I take an interest in american politics, even though I’m not eligble to vote, or contribute? To put it simply, whoever gets elected President and to the congress affects my interests. As a business owner, if someone is going to raise my taxes, or force me to pay more for my products that I sell in canada, the US, and around the world, it’s going to irritate me to no end.

Also, I’d like to point out, I was opposed to the amnesty. I’m one of many people that are still waiting on a visa that’s been sitting in the hands of immigration for years.

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on September 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM

If you think Americans have all the answers, I have news for you.

They don’t.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM

That may have been true at the time of The Founders Cristoph, but exactly how many bloody times do you expect us to hear “convert to socialism, stop your evil imperialism (that we can’t find any actual proof of), cease supporting Israel, and accept all blame for our geopolitical incontinence, incompetence, and malfeasance” before we start ignoring it?

New York has graciously played host to all manner of stuck-up foreigners in Turtle Bay for decades now. The problem isn’t that we aren’t receptive to their ideas, it’s that the ones they’ve been offering either suck; aren’t new, original, or innovative; or aren’t actually ideas at all.

BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM

There is a colony of Canadians in Hallandale, Florida. They are like the illegal Mexican immigrants who refuse to assimilate and are simular to a plague of locust devouring all enterprise in their path. I guess the hunger for freedom in Canada is the impetus for such behavior. Most of them are rude,greedy,inconsiderate take over artists. We keep them in their own little trailer park. Once you’ve gotten burned by a Canadian you just refuse to do business with any of them. One of my former subcontractors burned me for a contract worth 175k. Claude Richard ! Canadians are just a bunch of takers and that is why they reduced their brand of politics to socialism. Steven Harper is to conservatives as Hillary Clinton is to Democrats. Because the consitution of the United States is unique to this country I don’t think one can fully grasp the experience enough to be taken seriously when commenting on U.S. politics. It would be like me commenting at Black Five with seasoned war veterans never having been in the military. They would think it absurd. They would probably have a good laugh then tell me to bugger off like a good little wanna be!

sonnyspats1 on September 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Ahh yes, you were definitely there during prime time. I was always a smaller guy on the ice growing up so I took a liking to Cal Ingraham when he played for Maine. It really is a great sport that requires great, versatile athletes of all types. Kariya is one of the great, classiest players amongst many. It really is too bad he developed concussion issues over the years. Never the less, it was really good to see him have a bit of a comeback season last year.

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Where the hell is Jeri? She needs to fix this mess now! BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM

inDEED! He should just show slow mo video of her while he does a voice over. We’re SO there Phred.

Thomspon 307 electoral votes
H. Clinton 231 electoral votes

Boo-yah!

Mojave Mark on September 5, 2007 at 6:33 PM

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on September 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Ahhh, what I wouldn’t give to have many more just like you CIRD. Hope things work out for you soon in that regard. For every illegal that runs over our border and breaks our laws I get more mad for people like you waiting patiently, respectfully and lawfully. Thank you for that.

Zetterson on September 5, 2007 at 6:33 PM

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 6:02 PM
BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM
sonnyspats1 on September 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Wow. I am speechless.

IrishEi on September 5, 2007 at 6:35 PM

They’re also one of our allies in the war on terrorism. I’d say that’s worthy of respect, no matter how much one may disagree with their particular style of government.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:35 PM

I post…and it disappears when I doubt a certain person’s alignment.

Like I SAID…

Take these “defections” with a grain of salt. Other campaigns, both Democratic and Republican, have had their share of defections.

I think it’s making mountains out of molehills. Or wishful thinking on some people’s part.

*Screen captured for posterity sake*

Kokonut on September 5, 2007 at 6:40 PM

before we start ignoring it?

A couple things, BKennedy.

I haven’t said those things so your overgeneralizing is an example of intellectual slackness. A man of intellect watches out for traits he’s seen before, but judges based on what the other person says and does.

Two, this is a conservative blog. The odds of finding that here are less than elsewhere.

Three, you’re free to ignore it. Naturally. Just like even a foreign citizen maintains free speech rights while in your country… some people don’t believe foreigners should be protected by your constitution when in the U.S., but guess what… they are.

And international treaties, etc.

Just like when an American travels to Canada, our government doesn’t throw them in a dank pit.

If they get arrested, the can see a lawyer, call home, etc.

Further, I’m in Canada, not America. Have every right to say whatever the heck I want, doriangrey’s intellectual laziness notwithstanding.

Gee. Canadians political aficionados love that word.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM

As a conservative party supporter whose party is in power right now and salesman/entrepreneur, it’s news to me how Canada is “socialist”.

Too much socialism, sure. Seen it first hand.

But you got plenty yourself, bud.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM

My apologies…it didn’t disappear (red faced)…

Continue mon Capitan.

Kokonut on September 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Sorry, didn’t mean to give the impression that you were socialists. In fact, I know for sure that Canada is not. They were all too happy to take my money when I was last there.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Mojave Mark on September 5, 2007 at 6:33 PM

I think a Thompson Hillary matchup results in a 285-253 win for her. She takes Virginia and Ohio.

Bradky on September 5, 2007 at 6:46 PM

There is a colony of Canadians in Hallandale, Florida

sonnyspats1 on September 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Oh nooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Time to call Cartman!

Buy Danish on September 5, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I would suggest the Canada-bashers on this thread read this column. I think Rick Mercer is more to the left, politically, but this column is as good a defense of the West’s role in Afghanistan as any I’ve read.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Mojave Mark on September 5, 2007 at 6:33 PM

She has an even better chance at flipping Colorado, Iowa and New Mexico (100,000 / 10,000 / 6,000 vote margins in 2004). That is still 21 electoral votes putting her at 273 were Fred to keep Ohio and Virginia.

Bradky on September 5, 2007 at 6:57 PM

I’ve been monitoring FN for a couple hours, and I am now convinced that the fix is in for Rudy and the New Yorkers.

We’ll see if everyday Americans agree with the MSM/FN/NY opinion bloc that this country is ready for a pro-amnesty, pro-gay, anti-gun, anti-family president.

I doubt it.

AZCON on September 5, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Slubog, thanks for posting that article by Rick Mercer. He is indeed a patriotic Canadian (Comedian) who is more to the left of the political spectrum.

He makes a minor error in his post, probably due to not understanding Canadian rank structures… it was Master Corporal Paul Franklin, not Corporal.

I know the story well because I wrote several letters to the editor about this when it happened and participated in discussions with fellow conservatives about whether his actions qualified him for the Canadian Victoria Cross, Canada’s highest military decoration (in my opinion, it didn’t, due to the fact the enemy had since retreated and the award requires heroic actions in the presence of the enemy).

MCPL Frankin is a friend of Rick Mercer and is a medic who was inured in an IUD attack. To say he was injured doesn’t quite begin to cut it. Both his legs were blown off.

However, he still gave first aid to the other wounded service members who were with him. As Mercer states in his article, he then went on to train other medical professionals during his recovery.

Franklin is in a class by himself. As a Canadian.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:04 PM

*IED, sorry

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:04 PM

anti-family president.

How does one qualify as anti-family exactly? I don’t mean that sarcastically at all. I’m just wondering what Giuliani policy proposals give him that label.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Yeah, the fact that Guiliani hasn’t always had smooth family relations and has had some family failures, doesn’t mean he’s opposed to family.

It’s like saying I lost a foot race and am therefore opposed to running fast.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM

who was inured in an IUD attack

Heh. Those things can be vicious.

We get the CBC here, and I’ve grown to like Mercer’s show. The clip of him running over a tank with a car is priceless.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 7:09 PM

I meant over a car with a tank. Obviously, the first would be rather difficult.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 7:10 PM

before we start ignoring it?
A couple things, BKennedy.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Speaking of intellectual slackness, I wasn’t particularly attacking you, was I? My point was simply that America is not unreceptive to the ideas of other, sometimes differing nations, just that Americans are rather tired of being sold the same crap in a new box (when applicable).

In any event, I’m quite pleased that HotAir attracts several posters from our neighbors and allies and love hearing different perspectives. Insofar as Canada is concerned, as America’s largest trading partner and with 90+% of its population living within a hundred miles of the border, what happens in America does have a substantial impact on Canada, especially on economic issues.

BKennedy on September 5, 2007 at 7:13 PM

I believe that socially liberal policies (vs. socially conservative policies) are anti-family. Check out how those policies worked for European family.

AZCON on September 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Here’s an idea: HotAir could implement a feature in the user profiles allowing users to select their nationality, (based on the honor system), and a little flag could show up next to user names on each comment. Sort of like how BitTorrent clients do it, (like uTorrent), except not necessarily based on IP addresses, which would be more difficult to implement and could be circumvented with a little effort.

This would help alleviate disclosure issues for non-US commentators.

FloatingRock on September 5, 2007 at 7:20 PM

And, to an admittedly lesser degree, as your largest trading partner, vice versa.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:22 PM

I understand your comment now. Thanks for the clarification.

FloatingRock on September 5, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Good idea, but I think most of us would be U.S. How about state flags, with an option for national? Of course, this thing wouldn’t show up well in a small gif.

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 7:23 PM

That is kinda funny.

One, little nationality flags would be cool. Would be very easy to do. Just get a WordPress Gravatar plugin, then change the code to use smaller rectangular images and add said flags as images.

But… the IP system would be easy to circumvent, however, voluntarily choosing your nationality wouldn’t?

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Heck, what WOULD be cool is state flags for Americans, and nationality flags for anyone else.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 6:47 PM

GREAT column, thanks for that!

I’m actually quite surprised that Noreen celebrated “Christmas” and not the “Winter solstice”.

And may I say, Women’s studies: Bah Humbug

Buy Danish on September 5, 2007 at 7:29 PM

I live in a city which is very liberal and Thesbian (sorry, spam filter would “eat it” otherwise”) is rampant.

Heck, it’s trendy.

And a popular woman’s studies program at the local university is largely to blame.

Our not-exactly-conservative city newspaper ran stories about heterosexuals attending the program getting pressure from their classmates and professors for not engaging or experimenting (is there a difference?) with women. Lowered grades and peer-group appeal.

Moral of the story? None, but it was a great opportunity to talk about Thesbians.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Slublog on September 5, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I think state flags would get too confusing by themselves, although in addition to national flags it wouldn’t hurt.

Christoph on September 5, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. I haven’t checked lately but the last I heard BitTorrent doesn’t operate through proxy, at least not very well, so when you see a flag in BitTorrent it is probably an accurate representation. HotAir can be routed through proxies in any nation, however, so even if IP addresses were checked the system could still be circumvented, so therefore it would be based on the honor system regardless. That being the case, it’s probably not worth the effort of checking IP’s, unless it’s for the convenience of users and the feature can be implemented without too much expense.

FloatingRock on September 5, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Dern! The horses just left the gate and people are tearing up tickets already.

As a disclaimer: I donated to Fred!’s campaign. Will he cut it?….dunno. It is up to him. People like me gave him legs, now it is up to him to use em.

Limerick on September 5, 2007 at 7:47 PM

The visual of Fred? the chief executive is becoming a bit more mirage like, he has a lot of ground to make up and now he has to prove that he is an effective manager/organizer, double.

I had the hair brained notion that if Thompson gets in and the Republican faithful is pumped up and then he drops out that the RNC-ma man-Rudy benefits.

Speakup on September 5, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Dern! The horses just left the gate and people are tearing up tickets already.

Limerick on September 5, 2007 at 7:47 PM

And if thats not bad enough we got a bunch of foreigners saying its the only reasonable thing to do because a vote for Mitt who cant possibly win would really be a much better idea.

*Disclaimer* Now contrary to the rather imbecilic concussion a few individuals have jumped to I have not bashed Canada or any other country in any way shape or form. But I have very specifically ask one Canadian to stop trying to influence American politics.

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Oh [Christoph], you’re an nuc nuc, please stop commenting on our politics. …[C]onsidering that you are not a US citizen the only honest thing you could possible do at this point is to recuse yourself from further comment.

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 4:44 PM

That’s an unconvincing argument, doriangrey. It doesn’t appear to matter much who makes Christoph’s comments; his advice seems to be either reasonable or unreasonable, irrespective of his citizenship. Likewise, the importance you place on his citizenship appears unreasonable, irrespective of your own citizenship.

Kralizec on September 5, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Well, doriangrey, screw yourself. I’ll influence whatever I want.

Christoph on September 6, 2007 at 2:25 AM

Somehow in my decision to vote for president the following things have never mattered

Who his campaign manager is

How many he had

How much money he spent

Who his wife fired

None of these has anything to do with a candidates qualifications for office

Man I hate these competing 24 hr news channels

EricPWJohnson on September 6, 2007 at 3:20 AM

It’s time to draw the attention of more people, from heretofore uninterested groups, and that requires changes in personnel and strategies. As long as Fred’s boys do what it takes to hold on to the early supporters / fans…, we won’t abandon him and people who exhibit ‘sour grapes’ over it will have their 15 minutes of fame, fade away and become be forgotten by all but the Liberal media. I think we should leave the thinking to those getting PAID to think and win his campaign. I still support Fred and hope that he continues to snub the MSM without alienating the people. My guess is that it’s time for an exodus from The alphabet networks and metropolitan newspapers… This might help it along.

Rugged Individual on September 6, 2007 at 5:51 AM

Christoph on September 6, 2007 at 2:25 AM

You don’t influence me unless I allow it. What’s the beef? Are there a bunch of brain dead groupies out there that doriangray is trying to protect? Do you play Jedi mind tricks?

csdeven on September 6, 2007 at 1:38 PM

K love you too lady…(yes blatantly stolen from a cartoon, but I betcha don’t know which one…) :P

doriangrey on September 5, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Animaniacs. Specifically “Buttons and Mindy”. :P

BigOrangeAxe on September 6, 2007 at 3:35 PM

I’m not at all upset when our neighbors from the north and south opine. Uh, I mean it’s Canada and Mexico, that should say enough. Being a Nam vet I’ll always hold a grudge. Let them rant. As long as they both refrain from illegal immigration, violating our laws and rights of sovereignty and such. They then shouldn’t be surprised when the gloves come off.

MNDavenotPC on September 7, 2007 at 10:56 AM