Video: Student asks McCain, do you worry about getting Alzheimer’s?

posted at 4:51 pm on September 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

Call it straight talk. Minor bummer: the footage doesn’t include the exchange between him and the kid who told him, per his position on gay marriage, “I came here looking to see a leader. I don’t.”

Meanwhile, in its quest to wring every last drop of self-defeating hype from Fred’s pre-candidacy, the Thompson campaign is trumpeting its two new announcement ads and a 15-minute epic video profile — none of which can be seen yet since they don’t debut until tomorrow night. Until then, just do what you’ve been doing for the past six months: sit there and wait.

Comments

“You little jerk.”

Heh.

I’m not a fan of McCain, but every once in awhile he says something that just makes you laugh.

Slublog on September 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM

“Thanks for the question you little jerk.”

That was perfection.

Brat on September 4, 2007 at 5:00 PM

To which he replied, ” I’m sorry I forgot the question can you repeat that?”

TheSitRep on September 4, 2007 at 5:07 PM

God, I can’t believe he got asked that…

Bad Candy on September 4, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Scale of 1 to 10….. 305!
Well done Senator.

Limerick on September 4, 2007 at 5:15 PM

McCain should have responded “No, but I can see you aren’t afraid of being permanently stupid!” The religion of the tinfoil hatted leftist loons in action.

sharinlite on September 4, 2007 at 5:16 PM

At least it’s clear he doesn’t pre-screen the questions. Got to admire him for that.

Maxx on September 4, 2007 at 5:17 PM

“No. Do you worry about your brain falling out an ear?”

mojo on September 4, 2007 at 5:20 PM

You know, if I look past my own frustration and impatience, what Fred is doing is quite funny! Did you see the story on Drudge about Fred running an ad during the GOP debate. That’s funny. It seems he is trying to piss off a lot of people who say, “no, no, you must run a campaign this way!” It may pay off, it may not. But it’s at least fun and different.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 5:26 PM

BAM!!! Way to go, AP!!! I love it!!

As a wise man once said, “Either sh*t, or get off the pot.”

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:28 PM

I lol’d.

Nonfactor on September 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM

It would be cool if he did his ads like an incoming alien invasion message from a corny 50′s sci-fi movie. “Attack of the Cornpone Candidate!”

Bad Candy on September 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM

On the Fred subject; Everyone wants instant gratification. Well then. Immediately go to your closet and jack-off.

Griz on September 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM

BAM!!! Way to go, AP!!! I love it!!

As a wise man once said, “Either sh*t, or get off the pot.”

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:28 PM

How impatient does one have to be that 2 more days is an unacceptably long time?

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 5:35 PM

BTW, I like Fred, before I get the inevitable Fredhead rampage.

Bad Candy on September 4, 2007 at 5:35 PM

It would be cool if he did his ads like an incoming alien invasion message from a corny 50’s sci-fi movie. “Attack of the Cornpone Candidate!”

Bad Candy on September 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Fantastic! That would be a hoot!

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Fred’s got the headline on Drudge.

Don’t know about him yet, but one thing is for sure, he knows how to make an entrance into a race.

bnelson44 on September 4, 2007 at 5:37 PM

William Sleaster…., Bill the Slease-ter

I imagine that kid got beaten up a few times in school.

Griz on September 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Better yet, do some toe tappin and see what you’ll get.

Kini on September 4, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 5:35 PM

That’s not the point. The point is that this race started months ago, which irritates me I might add, but Mr. Thompson has been teasing people all summer long about a potential candidacy. I liked hearing Fred on Paul Harvey’s program. But constantly postponing an announcement date is getting really old.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:42 PM

To which he replied, ” I’m sorry I forgot the question can you repeat that?”

TheSitRep on September 4, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Nice :)

Pam on September 4, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Fred is the most politically savvy pres. candidate that we have ever seen in modern history! And he will be the nominee.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 5:48 PM

It would have been funnier if the little punk had asked, “Senator McCain, if elected, you will be the oldest person to be elected to the Presidency. What will it be like to be in the Oval Office, passing gas and wearing pants up to your arm pits?”

radjah shelduck on September 4, 2007 at 5:52 PM

But it’s at least fun arrogant and different insulting.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 5:26 PM

tommylotto on September 4, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Funny, how this clip was about McCain, and yet everybody talks about Fred.

McCain allowed himself to get testy with the kid because he knows he can’t win, so it won’t cost him, so that little shot at the end was a feel-good freebie.

jihadwatcher on September 4, 2007 at 5:58 PM

I thought McCain already has Alzheimer’s, like the time recently when he forgot that he was elected by Americans, not Mexicans.

AZCON on September 4, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 5:48 PM

He has to be a candidate first.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 6:03 PM

But it’s at least fun arrogant and different insulting.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 5:26 PM
tommylotto on September 4, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Wittgenstein? Is that you? I know it’s arrogant, and it can justifiably be called insulting; but arrogance and insults are not present in politics today, thus it’s a little refreshing.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Maxx on September 4, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Maybe he forgot to?

SouthernGent on September 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Sometimes we get the wrong idea when a little jerk says something inappropriate and gets a laugh or some applause. McCain’s line was a good reminder that even in that den of nitwits, there are more normal people than jerks.

LOL.

Jaibones on September 4, 2007 at 6:08 PM

He has to be a candidate first.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 6:03 PM

details details

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 6:08 PM

dang it! I just screwed up my eggs while trying to type and cook.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Fred is handling it very well, as I am already sick of every other candidate running. I feel like they have been harassing me all summer.

Stormy70 on September 4, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 5:26 PM

For all of the talk about Fred’s new, unorthodox campaign, he’s still basically announcing on Leno. Forgive me if I’m unimpressed by the novelty of it.

Big S on September 4, 2007 at 6:30 PM

But constantly postponing an announcement date is getting really old.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Constantly? The media- relying on an anonymous source- once reported July 4. Thompson quickly denied it, then suggested it would be just after Labor Day. Then he announced it would be Sept 6, which is in fact just after Labor Day.

It bears repeating- Super Tuesday is FIVE MONTHS away. Were he an unknown candidate having to start from scratch, then yes- a Sept 6th announcement would possibly be too late this year. Given that he’s polling 2nd nationally (and has been 1st or 2nd for some time now), 4 or 5 months is plenty of time to gain ground and take the lead if he runs a good campaign.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Back on topic- if and when McCain drops out (he’s clearly dead in the water), would it be an advantage for another candidate to get his endorsement, or would is McCain so damaged that the association would be a detriment?

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Big S on September 4, 2007 at 6:30 PM

No, no. I meant the running an ad during the debate that he is already being chided for not attending. Also, I was just kidding about the whole “most savvy pres. candidate” thing. I just wanted to see how long it would take to make this a full blown Fred thread.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Back on topic-
Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Curses!

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:42 PM

In your mind the campaign has started, and the MSM wanted it started, that’s how they sell papers. But the smart candidates sit back and watch the others stumble around, trying to make news. If you think these “debates” are interesting, and they are adding points to candidates, then how could Fred stay in second? Mitt has spent millions holding onto his third place.
Obviously you are so excited about Fred that you can’t wait to vote for him…

right2bright on September 4, 2007 at 6:44 PM

The correct answer, which neither McCain nor any other traditional marriage proponent has expressed, is this:

Two people can form a union or get married if those so desire; but that doesn’t mean that the government should be required to recognize or grant privileges to any and every union.

I support government recognition for unions between one man and one woman. The government does not grant legal recognition to incestuous unions and those involving multiple partners; neither should it offer the title of marriage or benefits thereof to same-sex couples.

Notwithstanding legal recognition, nothing in the law prevents same-sex couples from having a ceremony (even in a like-minded church) to celebrate their partnerships, or from calling themselves “married” in their own social circles.

aunursa on September 4, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Uh-oh.

There is evidence that Hillary already suffers from Alzheimer’s, since she has a problem remembering what she and her husband did in the 1990s, and what she did at the Rose Law Firm and in Vince Foster’s office.

We should call it Hillzheimer’s …. convenient loss of memory.

fogw on September 4, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 6:39 PM

I understand that. Also, in the end, ALL threads are Fred threads around here. However, from my point of view, he’s announced but for the paperwork. If he had filed the papers by now, his campaign would be utterly orthodox, epitomized by the Leno interviews. Also, if he had announced officially by now, he’d be a laughingstock for trying to pull this debate stunt. In the end, we should not go too crazy for a candidate whose marginally interesting campaign tactics are his main source of attention.

Big S on September 4, 2007 at 7:18 PM

I love McCain, he’s a warrior and an American hero.

But he kind of came off sounding like Miss Teen South Carolina there…

John from OPFOR on September 4, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Big S on September 4, 2007 at 7:18 PM

I get it- we should ignore Fred because his campaign tactics have just been too darned effective. I’ll get right on that.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Big S

he’s announced but for the paperwork

You’re right.

Good point. I do hope that there is more, but you are right in that, as of yet, there has been little offered.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Big S

he’s announced but for the paperwork
You’re right.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Then you folks aren’t listening. His writings and interviews are just as exposing as any of the other’s.

Griz on September 4, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Yeah, you little jerk, go back to the drug store and have a phosphate!

HockeyTemper on September 4, 2007 at 8:39 PM

I’m not a Sen. McCain fan after that Shamnesty thing. I guess I was more disappointed with him than anything..but after seeing this, I can say I am also disappointed with myself, for I also attacked all involved with the Shamnesty. That Shamnesty thing brought out the worse in a lot of us.

Legions on September 4, 2007 at 9:09 PM

Big S on September 4, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 8:02 PM

I’m not saying we should ignore him; I’m just saying that we need to pay attention to the substance (and there is plenty, I understand), rather than going on about how special the campaign itself is. He’s been all but announced for a while, and I think people understand that. There’s no getting around the need to campaign in the traditional sense, and while he’s got a built in advantage (celebrity combined with establishment conservative credentials), the web can only take you so far. The Leno appearance is a tacit acknowledgement of that, and he’ll need to run a very energetic, conventional campaign to win the nomination.

P.S. I think the video during the debate has all the makings of one of the greatest campaign blunders in recent memory, if any of the other candidates decides to take advantage.

Big S on September 4, 2007 at 9:45 PM

I am not committed to Fred or any other candidate right now. But I have to say, I like his style. Who is the candidate/non-candidate that gets the most exposure on this site? Or for that matter, any site right now.

I wonder what the comment count is on HotAir between Rudy, Mitt and Fred? I bet the answer would suprise us.

conservnut on September 4, 2007 at 10:27 PM

The reason the thread count is up on fred? threads is because his loony groupies refuse to accept the truth. They continue with silly “qualities” that fred? has. IE fred? doesn’t act, he just shows up on set and acts naturally!

fred? funnels campaign cash to his family. fred? assaulted free speech. fred? lobbied for a dictator and against victims of asbestos poisoning. fred? flip-flopped on abortion. fred? is a fake. fred? has no experience.

And what is their response in this thread? freds? just being smart by waiting to get in yet teases the entire base for 5 months. How smart he is!

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

csdeven on September 4, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Tomorrow’s Fred day on HA. Campaign commercials, the Leno appearance. We’ll have it all, baby.

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 11:12 PM

McCain dropped the J-Bomb!

Joshua P. Allem on September 5, 2007 at 12:47 AM

J. C. kid in this day and age everybody with white hair worries about that question.

C

pk on September 5, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 11:12 PM

**slobering**

csdeven on September 5, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Johnnie Reconquista is probably feeling pretty saucy these days since he now has to make his campaign stops on a bicycle.

Fred! has a lot of hard work ahead with no missteps.

Speakup on September 5, 2007 at 9:49 AM

I disagree Bis S…to me it’s political savvy when you consider how late he’s getting into this race which is for some good reason I’m sure. It’s the best way to reach the MOST people..it’s well known that Leno has 30+ percent of the total viewing audience of all ages and walks of life. Pretty savvy to me and savvy is what it’s going to take to win this election.

hotvol on September 5, 2007 at 10:43 AM

back on topic –

i loved that mccain, whose shamnesty support i thoroughly dislike, reminded that little punk how disrespectful he was by asking that question in the first place.

good job, john!