Video: New golden age on “The View” begins with defense of Michael Vick

posted at 4:13 pm on September 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

You didn’t think her first day on the job was going to pass here without comment, did you? It’s the only way we’re going to get over Rosie, people. Face the new reality, whatever the cost in heart-ache.

Her “defense” of Vick is a qualified defense: she’s not saying what he did was right, merely that he didn’t know it was wrong because of the “deep south” culture he comes from. Really? Then how come he used an alias — “Ookie” — when pursuing this very innocent hobby? I recall reading somewhere that his pals once got upset when someone addressed him during a dogfight by his real name instead of his nickname, which, if true, would prove their awareness of their culpability. A link and a mention here to anyone who can find that article. It was either in his plea agreement or somewhere in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

As for DeVito’s crap at the end, that’s just dessert.

Update: Reader “bacadog” answers the bell. The incident I was thinking of appears in paragraph 68 of the indictment against Vick.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hollywood Stupid is as Hollywood Stupid does.

Mindcrime on September 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Hey, you know what else used to be popular and considered an “innocent” hobby in the South?

Lynching black folks.

But I doubt that Whoopi would be supportive of someone doing THAT.

God, they just replaced one moron for another.

Vyce on September 4, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Well, at least Hasselbeck looks smoking hot as usual.

RW Wacko on September 4, 2007 at 4:18 PM

I don’t know, “Allah”.

see-dubya on September 4, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Yes! It is a new era, folks.

I have never heard of the deep South culture of executing dogs in a cruel and disgusting way. Maybe Whoopie can clarify how killing dogs is a cultural thing. If so, my culture says that sucks and people who do it are the ultimate of human scum.

So…

Danny De Vito – Is he a great big fat short person?

Stormy70 on September 4, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Hasselbeck is the only reason I watch these posts

Tyrs Fury on September 4, 2007 at 4:21 PM

I don’t know, “Allah”.

Exactly my point — “See-Dubya”.

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 4:21 PM

In my old neighborhood in Atlanta, it was popular to hang out on street corners and sell drugs. Some people even abused them. Lots of girls and he/shes working the corners, too. It was part of our culture; you wouldn’t really understand you judgemental crackers.

RW Wacko on September 4, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Danny De Vito – Is he a great big fat short person?

Shout out to Jame Gumb.

Stormy70 on September 4, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Oh yeah, See-Dubya and Allah?

As if that is your real names!

Stormy70 on September 4, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Guinan, Guinan, Guinan, what were you thinking? (sigh)

ncc770 on September 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM

I love how she distanced herself from the ‘culture’ by saying it is a ‘deep south’ culture. She didn’t characterize it as a ‘black culture’ thing because obviously she’d indict herself.

As someone from the Deep South let me say I have never seen or been invited to a dog fight. I don’t know what culture she is talking about. I have a dog and if anything happened to him, or someone did something to him it would be like something happened to a member of my family.

You can’t find ‘dog fighting’ in the yellow pages here either.

So Whoopi says ‘it’s a cultural thing’. But she doesn’t mean ‘black’ culture, she means the dumb, stupid, smoking, beer drinkin, trailer trash rednecks down here in the south that don’t know that you ain’t asposed to let them dogs fite to tha death.

I’m glad whoopi is around to splain my ‘culture’ to me and excuse it at the same time. Maybe I missed my calling and should have been dogfighting (as aparently is my culture) all along (/sarc).

ThackerAgency on September 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Yeah, I don’t think it was the fighting part that freaked everyone out so much. The electrocution and drowning took it to a whole ‘nother, unforgivable level.

Tanya on September 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Newsflash for Woopie, dog fighting is perceived as despicable in every part of the country and knowing right from wrong doesn’t have a geographic preference, it’s wrong to take pleasure from intentionally causing pain in New York or Los Angeles or Atlanta or Seattle, it’s all bad.

And Vick knew right from wrong.

Speakup on September 4, 2007 at 4:26 PM

The “It’s cultural” defense doesn’t work. He’s been exposed to enough people from other parts of the country since he started college to know what he was doing was wrong. If he didn’t know it was, why did he go to such great lengths to try and hide it from the general public?

Kowboy on September 4, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Michael’s hometown is Newport News, VA. Only an idiot New Yorker like Whooptie-do would consider that the deep south.

I’m much further south of the Mason-Dixon line and don’t know anyone down here who considers dog fighting a legitimate pastime. (Although many do believe that dogs are required to hunt deer – still can’t figure that one out).

kjspeedial on September 4, 2007 at 4:26 PM

I’d say she’s really really really stretching to be controversial. Maybe the producers will come up with a little more prudent “controversial” subject matter as she warms up to her duties. Left to her own demise Whoopi is a genius compared to the Rosiepig.

Griz on September 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Oh. I see. He didn’t realize what he did was wrong. Got it.

Wow.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 4:29 PM

It’s the only way we’re going to get over Rosie, people.

If it weren’t for the fact that Whoopie’s black and eyebrow-less, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

By the way, is Devito some kind of sick masochist or something? It seems like he can’t get through a “View” chat without hitting himself.

2Brave2Bscared on September 4, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Well, Whoopi is as funny as ever. I couldn’t stop laughing throughout that entire segment!

Wait, what? You mean she was serious?

Nethicus on September 4, 2007 at 4:30 PM

OOkie’s an alias and whoopie’s a name?

JiangxiDad on September 4, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Couldn’t stand to watch the clip, so I guess nothing has changed post-LBW(slurs). Can anyone tell me why there are no men, just 4 gossipy idiots on the panel?

And why would a grown man watch or monitor such dribble?

AZCON on September 4, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Alright, let’s play that thing. It was a cultural thing for Nazis to kill Jews. Since it was a cultural thing we can’t condemn them for it. It’s a cultural thing for radical terrorists to blow other people up. since it’s a cultural thing, we can’t judge nor condemn them for it, since they don’t know any better. Female Circumcision is a cultural thing therefore we can’t condemn or judge it.

It’s a cultural thing for me to not signal when I turn in my car and it’s also a cultural thing for me to speed. I don’t know any better. All of us Canadians do it. Therefore, I should never get a ticket. Do you think the Highway Patrol will accept that explanation?

mjk on September 4, 2007 at 4:35 PM

“Ookie” is what his mom has called him ever since childhood. It’s similar to Hank Williams Jr. using the knickname “Bocephus”.

So dogfighting is a “Southern” thing? Reminds me of Marge Schott saying that the N-word is a “Southern” term.

Bigfoot on September 4, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Heh, more nuttiness from the View. All is right in Allah’s world…well, at least till he gets an iPhone.

Bad Candy on September 4, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Ah, the attitude of the left wing Yankee. Anything done by whites in the South that is the slightest bit different from the northern norm is unacceptable, while anything done by blacks in the South that is the slightest bit different from the northern norm–”Well, you’ve just got to understand where these people come from!”

Hey Whoopie! Even if you’re correct about his rural southern background, doesn’t becoming an NFL quarterback make a man a little more cosmopolitan in his thinking? Yet Vick continued to be involved in dogfighting long after he first became a national celebrity.

radjah shelduck on September 4, 2007 at 4:35 PM

If he didn’t know he did anything wrong, Whoopster, why did he apologize and find Jesus?

PS: Allah, you’re aware of my culpability!

see-dubya on September 4, 2007 at 4:36 PM

The person who probably knows about any witnesses who saw Vick at a fight would be Kathy Strause…she told the Constiution she had rock-solid witnesses who could place Vick at those fights, but don’t know what became of it…

JetBoy on September 4, 2007 at 4:37 PM

BTW I grew up in a Southern town that tolerated cockfighting at the margins. But dogfighting? Way outta bounds.

see-dubya on September 4, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Whoopie vs Rosie: Same low IQ, just different color.

I grew up in Virginia. Virginia is not Deep South. He broke the law, period, and committed horrible cruel acts. Can’t wait to hear her excuse for illegal aliens. What? It’s just their culture to break the law? And if cock fighting ever becomes the MSM story of the week, oh, nothing to see here, it’s just their culture.

Joy looks pissed that once again she got passed over for the “promotion” to moderator.

DeVito is not dessert but it looks like he had too many limoncellos for breakfast again.

Brat on September 4, 2007 at 4:41 PM

She should be living in a box under a bridge.

Racist, old, Lefty must have somethin’ deep to say since she is black and angry about it?

Who does her hair? A Cabbage Patch doll?

She was a poster mom for abortion so what’s the deal with a Black man killing dogs? If you can pull the plug on your own child, killing dogs must be like changing a channel. Isn’t killing things without remorse part of their social healing process? Gangsta’ pet owning.

Hening on September 4, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Why does The View hate the Chinese?

- The Cat

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Stormy70 on September 4, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Wait…Those aren’t their real names? Damn it. Then who’s this “Bryan” fellow?

amerpundit on September 4, 2007 at 4:46 PM

T

Because “Ron Mexico” was already made public.

Kid from Brooklyn on September 4, 2007 at 4:46 PM

P.S. But in seriousness, The Whoop does have a point. Well, except for one minor thing; her initial fact couldn’t be more wrong.

Inverted strawman?

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 4:46 PM

If you’re from the deep south, you should be offended by Stoopy Goldbricks generalization of your culture.

Baba Wawa does a pretty good ventriloquist act with that danny puppet

Kini on September 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM

P.P.S. So if I say I’m from the Congo do I get to eat a bloke?

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Not only is Vick a subhuman sociopath but according to Whoopie he’s stoopid too!
Why am I thinkin’ she wouldn’t have defended a white guy?!
What a racist!

Ex-tex on September 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Why does The View hate the Chinese?

- The Cat

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM

It’s a cultural thing.

Mindcrime on September 4, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Why would anyone with half a brain still functinal watch these twits (WITH AN I) for any reason at any time ever? I’d rather watch paint dry while I set my hair on fire doing the “wide stance” in a Minneapolis Airport restroom mensroom stall full of gay prowlers…

sabbott on September 4, 2007 at 4:50 PM

P.P.S. So if I say I’m from the Congo do I get to eat a bloke?

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Are you a Minority Liberal? Otherwise, no.

amerpundit on September 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM

I’m sure this point has already been made, but Virginia is not the “deep south” honey. And we Virginians tend to love our dogs even more than our horses.

foxforce91 on September 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM

The first time I saw Woopie Goldberg was many years ago, probably near the very beginning of her career. She was doing a standup bit at a comedy club in the guise of a ghetto bimbo. Her routine, at least what I saw of it before I changed the channel in disgust, was comprised of sick and immoral jokes about abortion, the vilest you could imagine. The audience was laughing it up about killing babies and Whoopie was the ringleader. In the years that followed she received a part on one of my favorite TV shows, Star Trek Next Generation, and even though I actually learned to like her character well enough, I still can’t stand Woopie Goldberg the person to this day.

Now, most of a few decades later, I’m not at all surprised to hear Woopie Goldberg defend Vick. During the video I found myself thinking, well, that figures.

FloatingRock on September 4, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Similarly, those who grow up in the drug culture are unaware that drug-dealing is illegal.

Karl on September 4, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Woopie.

Well, AllahP, once you’ve gone black, you’ll never go back. To Rosie.

Mazztek on September 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM

This is CNN:

According to the indictment, an unidentified associate from Bad Newz Kennels admonished another participant at a dogfight who yelled out Vick’s name during an event in the fall of 2003 — a participant who is also now cooperating with prosecutors.

Karl on September 4, 2007 at 4:59 PM

I guess Whoopie would give a pass to the good ol’ boys in Vidor Texas? I mean, hey after all it’s Vidor.
The funny thing about Danny DeVito, here’s a fat midget with poor eyesight named DeVito calling someone stupid. That is funny.

TheSitRep on September 4, 2007 at 5:00 PM

btw…What’s the O/U on how long Whoopie will last on The View?

JetBoy on September 4, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Not to defend Vick or anything, but dude, it’s the south. You can’t swing a dead cat around here without hitting someone with a nickname. I’ve gone to school with people and literally do not know their real name. There are people in my own family that go by the nicknames, “Skip”, “Dink”, “Bruh”, “Rabbit”, “Poorboy”, and “Mook”. And that’s just the boys. So as we say down here in the south, “Sorry, but that dog don’t hunt.”

eclark1849 on September 4, 2007 at 5:03 PM

It’s so a part of Deep South culture that Vick’s dad tried to get Vick to quit dogfighting years ago, or to at least put the property used for dogfighting in friends’ names to avoid any legal problems down the road.

Karl on September 4, 2007 at 5:04 PM

eclark1849,

Having a nickname is one thing. Getting mad when someone uses Vick’s real name at a dogfight is evidence that they knew dogfighting was illegal.

Karl on September 4, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Does the Mafia get a ride for being part of Italian culture, too? And, of course, don’t forget about MS-13 and the Triad. And genital mutilation. Why, anything goes in identity politics!

Blacklake on September 4, 2007 at 5:06 PM

At least “Whoopi” didn’t say it was genetic, like ebonics.

pedestrian on September 4, 2007 at 5:06 PM

You got to love the Liberal mindset.

Attack Bush for “Abu Ghraib,” which he didn’t know about.

Defend Vick for “Abu Growl,” which he ran.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on September 4, 2007 at 5:09 PM

I love how she says a “light went on” in Vick’s head …and OH! Hey! Torturing these animals might not be a good thing.

Idiot.

And then the “Oh, I don’t condone it” BS. Of course, she doesn’t, but trying to explain it away isn’t terribly far from it.

Vick’s a douche. Deal.

That, and she needs to stop ending her sentences with prepositions.

yo on September 4, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Hey yall, that thur lady iz raht, so yall shut it. Ima gonna shoot mah dad gum lazy dawg wut loss me 20 dollers last naht after Ima dun pokin mah cuzin. Yallz aint nuthin but a buncha dum yankees no ways.

SouthernDem on September 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM

As for DeVito’s crap at the end, that’s just dessert.

AP, don’t invite me over to your place for dinner! Don’t want any of that for dessert.

Snidely Whiplash on September 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM

I watched an interview with Mr Vick’s father. he stated in no uncertain terms that it was wrong and cruel. End of silly “innocent by black” hypothesis.

pat on September 4, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I’m hoping she just doesn’t know all the facts, because I actually kind of like her. But I’m very confident that she’ll get forty billion angry emails and letters from irate housewives about this (and others, since it’s already all over the headlines). Then she’ll get it.

Tanya on September 4, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Hmmm. Yeah, I get it. Tony Soprano doesn’t know that wacking people is wrong because of the Deep Mafia Culture he’s from.

Hey, this is a fun game and universally applicable.

Whoopie doesn’t know that what she’s saying is stupid because of the Deep Hollywood Culture she’s from.

Tantor on September 4, 2007 at 5:17 PM

eclark1849,

Sorry Karl, it’s not. At least, not in and of itself. that’s all I’m saying.

eclark1849 on September 4, 2007 at 5:18 PM

And the show will now be a constant campaign ad for which Dem that Whoopi is backing?

Brat on September 4, 2007 at 5:19 PM

This is pathetic… that she could go on and smear “the south”, but I’m about to be attacked as soon as I point out that it’s not a “southern” issue, it’s a “black” issue.

(Disclaimer, before the dishonest turds show up: Not all people involved in dog fighting are black, and not all blacks are involved in dog fighting)

I needn’t look any further than…. common sense and comparing hip-hop to country artists. This sort of activity is glorified in the hip-hop community, as is all types of crime, and no where in country (this is where you idiots bring up Johnny Cash’s Folsom Prison Blues, as if that comes close to competing with the criminal glorification that infects virtually all of popular rap). Now, I challenge folks to go out to the back woods, to the swamps, go out and find some mountain men if you can and see if they’re running dog fights… now go in to the ghettos of the major metropolitan areas in the south and try to find dog fights there. Wonder which one you’re more likely to find them at? No, I suppose it’s all the white professors, lawyers, real estate agents, doctors, and cops running dog fights in their suburban backyards… right Whoopi you fricken’ moron.

RightWinged on September 4, 2007 at 5:20 PM

This is the same way the left justifies Islamic misogynism. It’s cultural, and it’s being done by someone in an “oppressed group,” so it’s okay. What an ass.

As for this sort of thing being acceptable in the deep south – not in Louisiana. Louisiana just had a knock-down drag-out in the state legislature over cockfighting because it is so cruel to animals, and those aren’t even animals that people get emotional about.

SouthernDem, I about choked on my Darjeeling, reading your 5:12 comment. It’s a thing of beauty. :-)

Laura on September 4, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Trust me, after the tired antics and Conspiracy Is Everywhere!-laced diatribe blatherings of Rantin’ ‘n Ravin’ Rosie, anyone else, and I mean ANYONE ELSE is an improvement. At least now I can stop calling the show “The Spew”.

pilamaye on September 4, 2007 at 5:22 PM

This is somewhat off-topic, but, I found an animal blood-sport that is even more offensive (to me anyway) than dog fighting.

Apparently, in some countries, they will ‘train’ (usually by starving, beating, etc) horses to fight each other to the death and then all the locals will come watch and bet.

I really just don’t get it, but then I don’t even understand the appeal of boxing. However, boxing doesn’t bother me because both parties know what’s involved and voluntarily sign up for it. The animal blood sports are really sickening to me.

JadeNYU on September 4, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Hollywood never ceases to amaze me. They always find new and novel ways to insult Southerners.

Whoopi’s defense of Vick is beyond lame. Apparently her contempt for our intelligence is as bad as Rosie’s was.

katieanne on September 4, 2007 at 5:32 PM

I have no doubt that Whoopi Goldberg would excuse this as part of the Southern Culture!
If not SHE would be a racist hypocrite!

Bearhopi on September 4, 2007 at 5:39 PM

kjspeedial on September 4, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Jebus, I am from NYC and even I know that Newport News isn’t the ‘Deep South’. What a moron.

If the first ratings are down from the Rosie Era, I predict Whoopie goes Truther and goes Truther hard.

Drew on September 4, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Bearhopi on September 4, 2007 at 5:39 PM

That photo doesn’t look like a swastika to me – looks like the MS Windows symbol. Which is pretty bad, admittedly, but not quite in the same category.

Laura on September 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Oh.

My.

Golly….

First off, having grown up in Alabama, and having lived in Newport News (aka Vick central) for the past 9 years – folks, this ain’t the “deep South” – not that the locals will complain about being associated with the South, but considering the source, anything south of Philly probably counts as the “deep South”. You want “deep South” – well, you gotta get off the Interstate a ways in places with names such as “South” Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and particularly Alabama, or Mississippi. This tidy little corner of Virginia doesn’t even come close – particularly not Newport “population explosion since the term Generica came into vogue” freakin News.

And anyone that grew up around Newport News KNOWS that dogfighting is illegal. So the nice attempt at a “cultural pass” is nothing short of pure manure, that she’s just pulling out of the place where pure manure usually emanates.

Secondly – wow, within just those few moments, her callous, racist, stereotypical utterances almost got into double digits – on her first freakin day! Anyone other than a darling of the left (of color, with the proper chromosonal content) making the kinds slurs she tossed out would have created an uproar of indignation from those particularly inclined towards uproars of indignation at a sideways glance.

Sterotypical racist. The only thing she’s lacking for a full and complete pass on any of the utterances from her cake hole would be to bring on and introduce her “girlfriend and life partner”.

Hypocrisy on steroids.

If anyone is really paying attention, and she keeps up at this pace, I give it a week or so before she sticks her foot so far in it that the comments can’t be ignored.

Wind Rider on September 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Oh.

My.

Golly….

Hypocrisy on steroids.

Wind Rider on September 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM

RIGHTWINGED, you are fekking, dead on, correct!

I’m from the south…excuse me, THE SOUTH! This who-peed qunt boils my ‘taters. Yeah, I said it. Almost spelled it too.

On my way to getting banned.

james hooker on September 4, 2007 at 5:53 PM

btw…What’s the O/U on how long Whoopie will last on The View?

JetBoy on September 4, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Not sure, but my personnal feeling is 3-6 months because she just didn’t understand how mean people will be to her.

- The Cat

Or she’ll say something ‘in responce’ that will make Rosie blush.

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 5:53 PM

A black liberal defending a black criminal – what’s the world coming to?

jihadwatcher on September 4, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Yea, they got them Black Rednecks down south.

faraway on September 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Well, in her defense, at least she’d defend murdering babies in the womb as well. The rest of the liberals are all hypocrites for their outrage at Vick if you ask me.

SouthernGent on September 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Truth be told, I have seen a murder, a pimp & a whore, several dog fights, drug abuse, violence against women, including a pregnant mother before I could recite a rap lyric. So it goes further than hip hop endorsing it.

ackrite55 on September 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Well, at least Hasselbeck looks smoking hot as usual.

RW Wacko on September 4, 2007 at 4:18PM

Woof. I can’t remember who else what other idiot was on the show. Wait, did a black, Jewish guy say southern people like to stage dog fights and kill dogs?

Jaibones on September 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Jaibones “Not My Real Name” on September 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Jaibones on September 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Am I to assume Oakland and San Francisco, CA are now considered part of the Deep South? Dog fighting is very prevalent out there.

Zaire67 on September 4, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Danny Devito is really sick, what a ridiculous loser. I don;t get it – is he imitating the 3 Stooges? What a sick freak.

AprilOrit on September 4, 2007 at 6:25 PM

That Deep South excuse is pure T bullshite. Ever watched ANIMAL COPS?? That Michigan Humane society breaks up dog rings ALL THE TIME. This is not a southern thing, Whoopi, you git, it’s a HOOD thing.

tickleddragon on September 4, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Oh…and THAT is considered intelligent political discourse to Danny DeVito…. Need any of us say any more?

tickleddragon on September 4, 2007 at 6:36 PM

The View, Day 2 ….

Whoopsie defends O.J.

“It was that culture of stardom thanng.”

Special Guest: Phil Specter

fogw on September 4, 2007 at 6:38 PM

ackrite55 on September 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Exactly, when I was growing up in Baltimore, Md during the 60′s and 70′s such activities was commonplace. It just now the activity is occuring out in the open with theme music. But regardless, we need to stop trying to justify criminal activity in the black community or things will never get better.

Zaire67 on September 4, 2007 at 6:39 PM

“It’s our culture” is exactly what white Southerners used to say in defense of their “peculiar institution” and the Jim Crow laws.

packsoldier on September 4, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Evidently, I don’t get out enough. I live in the “deep south” and I have never seen, heard of or discussed with another cracker a dog fight, other than when my Welsh terrier and my neighbor’s dachsund got into a little fight late last year.

d1carter on September 4, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Um, I would like to point out the most shocking part of the video. There is a man visible in the pan-over of the crowd at the beginning. Shutter.

Spirit of 1776 on September 4, 2007 at 7:15 PM

EH quoted Emerson! Fantastic, that really is the A-game; American philosophy for American ideals. Way to go, Elisabeth.

Spirit of 1776 on September 4, 2007 at 7:20 PM

People have strong opinions? That implies that there are two sides to this story. Nope, he has been condemned from all corners.

CrimsonFisted on September 4, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I would respond to Ms. Goldberg’s comments, but I’m a poor, illiterate Southerner who I lives in a single room shack with a dirt floor, no electricity, or running water. Too bad. If only she would come and save me from my primitive culture.

And folks. I’ve only read a few of the comments, and I’ve got news for you: Racism happened/happens everywhere. (For example: The statement that lynching black folks was a sport in the South too. This is bogus on two counts. First, these types of crimes happened all over the country, so it wasn’t South-specific. Second, dog fighting isn’t a Southern phenomenon; so even in jest, the suggestion bugs me. -I’ll try to toughen up though because being called a murderer is amazingly more offensive than a dog killer. I love dogs, but to equate the two is comparing apples to oranges.)

The pre-civil war South was vastly different than the post-civil war South. Guess who moved in after the war? People from the North. (Alot of our male population was dead or barred from any posistion of power.) However, this isn’t a rant about “the South will rise again” or “Northerners are more racist than Southerners.” I’m saying the complete culture of the South was dramatically changed after the Civil War. It’s also about liberal media always using fantastic stereotypes to excuse bad behavior without having to admit any culpability within their own circles.
Guess what, the victors write the history books, and surprise we had liberals in the 1860′s. I don’t want to start a debate about the civil war and civile rights but, good grief, I am so tired of being held to some kind of liberal standard from the Reconstruction and Jim Crow law eras. This is not the South I know. I don’t know where this is.

If I overstepped here, I’m sure someone will tell me. I know I am supersensitive to this issue, I’m just very tired of the constant slander.

Unfortunately, I think I have given Ms. Goldberg’s comments too much respect here.

simon on September 4, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Oh c’mon Whoopie!! Cruelty is always wrong. Deep south culture be damned!!

jeanie on September 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Another idiot to replace the original idiot. What a tool.

Mojave Mark on September 4, 2007 at 7:38 PM

People like Caryn Johnson and Jerry Rivers chose race for their careers. Both have made a pretty penny off of it, aided and abetted by guilty white liberals, who make up their audiences. Both are race-whores. They may have gotten away with it, but the jig is up for any would-be successors.

JiangxiDad on September 4, 2007 at 7:40 PM

There’s plenty of dog-fighting in NYC and Whoopi knows it. Don’t give her the excuse that she doesn’t know any better. Rosie is an idiot. She’s not. She’s smart and vicious. Most lefties are Lenin’s ‘useful idiots’.

The ones like Whoopie are the real enemy. They want to destroy everything good about this country and what’s left of western civilization. Don’t let her fool you. Her words are poison.

ticticboom on September 4, 2007 at 7:46 PM

I saw the replay of her defense of him on Fox. She made it sound like he didn’t know better because it was part of his upbringing in the street culture. Well would she also agree that if canibalism or raping and pillaging women is part of your culture that’s okay too? What about calling your women ‘bitchs and hos’, is that okay too?

countywolf on September 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM

There’s plenty of dog-fighting in NYC

Pit bull is the official project mascot.

Rosie is an idiot. She’s not. She’s smart and vicious.

Kinda like a pit bull.

JiangxiDad on September 4, 2007 at 7:51 PM

In the fall of 2003, a person witnessing a dog fight involving one of the dogs trained by Bad Newz Kennels incurred the ire of another cooperating witness by yelling out Vick’s name in front of the crowd during the fight.

Fox Sports.