Video: New golden age on “The View” begins with defense of Michael Vick

posted at 4:13 pm on September 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

You didn’t think her first day on the job was going to pass here without comment, did you? It’s the only way we’re going to get over Rosie, people. Face the new reality, whatever the cost in heart-ache.

Her “defense” of Vick is a qualified defense: she’s not saying what he did was right, merely that he didn’t know it was wrong because of the “deep south” culture he comes from. Really? Then how come he used an alias — “Ookie” — when pursuing this very innocent hobby? I recall reading somewhere that his pals once got upset when someone addressed him during a dogfight by his real name instead of his nickname, which, if true, would prove their awareness of their culpability. A link and a mention here to anyone who can find that article. It was either in his plea agreement or somewhere in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

As for DeVito’s crap at the end, that’s just dessert.

Update: Reader “bacadog” answers the bell. The incident I was thinking of appears in paragraph 68 of the indictment against Vick.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

*sniff* Mama’s so proud.

BacaDog on September 4, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Also, he said he found “Jesus” after the fact (ie getting arrested) which is another way of him saying he knew it was wrong to begin with.

Kokonut on September 4, 2007 at 8:19 PM

Sorry Whoopi. Vick played two years at Virginia Tech and six years in the NFL. He was exposed to many other “cultures” in this country by living in and traveling to places beyond the “deep south.” He had no excuse for not knowing better.

The age old question: if Vick was white, would Whoopi be defending him.

Liberals need victims to defend. Whoopi has made him into the victim and can now bleed her heart all over him.

As for Devito: he should have stayed in his career as a hair dresser.

Mallard T. Drake on September 4, 2007 at 8:40 PM

The gazillion million trumps deep rooted southern culture. His closest link to the hood is sharing a 40 with the only other brown person in the neighborhood every Wednesday when he comes to weed-whack his lawn.

Alden Pyle on September 4, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Interesting body language from Joy. You can’t really see it in this clip, but by the end of the DeVito piece, she’s practically sitting in Elizabeth’s lap.

I wonder if he was serious about not bathing, or if she has some other issue with him.

Tanya on September 4, 2007 at 8:53 PM

You’re watching “The View” waaaay too closely.

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 8:54 PM

I am a girl, you know. It’s ok for girls to watch it.

Tanya on September 4, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Ouch.

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 8:58 PM

There’s plenty of dog-fighting in NYC

Say what?? Not really – too much gentification going on up here for that craziness to continue. It was prevalent on the Lower Eastside in the early 80s. Mt aunt lived on Rivington Street back then, she and her husband had this huge apartment that my dad called the “that huge dump in the slums”. Anyway the cops raided a building 2 doors down from her that the drug dealers were housing pit bull guard dogs, with some dog and cock fighting going on on the weekends, with betting.

That same building or string of buildings – her’s and the place that was raided – are gentified and 1 bedroom apts are renting for $2500. a month.

All of that crazy trash is long gone, Rudy the Sheriff took ‘em out….

AprilOrit on September 4, 2007 at 9:00 PM

What a load of crap. I live in the deep south, and everyone here understands that dog fighting is not only iileagal, but frowned upon by society at large. I find it really offensive that Whoopi is willing to paint a whole region of the country as uncultured rubes that don’t see anything wrong with torturing a few dogs. This representation of the deep south is false and is an appeal to base sterotypes. I bet Whoopi would find it really offensive if I were to offer her a watermelon because “her people” love those things, but somehow it is ok to claim the “deep south” doesn’t see anything wrong with dogfighting.

Buford on September 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Well, in her defense, at least she’d defend murdering babies in the womb as well.

Back in the 90′s she had an abortion that made front page news. She has plenty of cash and her kid would have either had an opportunity with her of by being adopted. Instead, she killed her own child and allowed herself to be interviewed about it. “It was the hardest decision I ever had to make”.

Hening on September 4, 2007 at 9:32 PM

eclark1849,

Getting mad when someone uses Vick’s real name at a dogfight is evidence that they knew dogfighting was illegal. That’s why it’s in the indictment. Really. Use of an alias is admissible in court to show consciousness of guilt in Virgina and in most every jurisdiction. See, e.g., People v. Lewis (1990) 50 Cal.3d 262, 276.

Karl on September 4, 2007 at 9:36 PM

black folk never fail to please, regardless of da income level. It’s a cultural thang, huh, that torturin’ dawgs? Well, yes, it is. Most of what I’ve seen/ read by blacks about this freak has been either neutral or ‘scusin a brotha-his own “‘pology” was grade A bull sh*t. It never ends, and it always comes down to, regardless of the topic,”you don’t know what it’s like cuz you ain’t one of us” Whateffingever. There is ONE response to this: vick is a soulless, sadistic, piece of sub-human garbage…

JWS on September 4, 2007 at 10:10 PM

I always thought it was a Redneck/mexican thang.
I never knew blacks got into dog fightin’.

TheSitRep on September 4, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Buford on September 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM

I find it offensive that someone who calls herself “whoopi” is held up as anything other than an idiot…

JWS on September 4, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Don’t let her fool you. Her words are poison.

ticticboom on September 4, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Grima Goldberg?

Laura on September 4, 2007 at 10:23 PM

During a picnic held by one of my Air Force units in Germany, a watermelon was brought out. Immediately my white comrades-in-arms swarmed on that thing (I’m black). Watching the scene, I walked over to one of my black comrades-in-arms and, before I could say anything, he says “good thing a brutha don’t like watermelon that much or I’d have to toss a grenade over there.” (Relax, you sensitive types.) As it turns out I don’t like that particular melon either. The watermelon is, however, an African fruit–which accounts for the stereotype.

baldilocks on September 4, 2007 at 10:32 PM

I was praying for exactly that.

Connie on September 4, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Uh…. I’m from the south and I’ve never considered dog fighting as an acceptable sport/hobby.

sMack on September 4, 2007 at 11:04 PM

Don’t watch, don’t care about the show, but keep the clips of Elizabeth coming. Yowza!!!

oakpack on September 4, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Not to mention dogfighting is a felony in Virginia. That doesn’t scream “cultural norm” to me.

Radish on September 4, 2007 at 11:57 PM

In South Florida in the early 80′s some of the status symbols of up and coming drug dealers were Pit Bull’s, pagers, pick up trucks and gold chain necklaces. If you made to the next levels up these later became Rottweilers, cell phones, custom ordered dual cab turbocharged 454 chevy pick ups with louisville sleeper and CD player, 26′ Wellcraft Scarab Sport with duel V8 Evenrudes later to become a Cigarette boat that was confiscated by the Feds and ran the Carribean as Blue Thunder for years and classic Corvettes, semiautomatic rifles,457 dirty harry revolvers The instances of dog fighting were among the Crackers. Just sayin……

I have only seen Whoopie do stand up and I think one or two scenes in her films. Whoopie presented her point in an intelligent well educated manor so much so that it seems she could offer an honest debate. But time will tell. Although I find Whoopie’s hypothesis has some merit I think she is erroneous in her assessment of the origins of dog fighting in the US.

sonnyspats1 on September 5, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Whoopi Goldberg playing right into the racial stereotypes. This is rich baby!! Making more excuses!! Black folks that I know, disagree that dog fighting/killing is a cultural norm!!

DfDeportation on September 5, 2007 at 1:32 AM

sonnyspats1 on September 5, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Nope, Whoopi’s hypothesis has no merit because it is based on a “fact” that just isn’t true. Dog fighting is NOT an acceptable part of the culture here in the deep south. Also, her hypothesis must be rejected, because following her logic any bad behavior could be explained away. Using her logic she should find it natural that the owner of southern diner would refuse to to serve her because she is a GD N*****? After all we all know this is just part of the “deep south” culture and is to be expected. She shouldn’t be cutting Michael Vick a break just as she shouldn’t cut the hypothetical diner owner a break. Neither behavior is acceptable and neither should be tolerated.

Buford on September 5, 2007 at 3:58 AM

That’s NOT what you’re going to find on the view; she’s a feeler, not a thinker, by her own admission:

O’REILLY: No, but I back [my opinion] up all day long with facts and everything else.
GOLDBERG: But you know what? Your opinion is your opinion. And if you want to go…
O’REILLY: Based on facts.
GOLDBERG: And if you want to go and get lots of facts and not go from your heart. I go from my heart.

O’REILLY: And I respect that point of view. … And it doesn’t matter how you feel, you need to — you need to think about that.
GOLDBERG: If you are asking my opinion…
O’REILLY: Yes.
GOLDBERG: Then it does matter how I feel.
O’REILLY: No, you need to think about it.
GOLDBERG: No, Bill. You need to think about it. That’s how you do it. I don’t do it that way.

Allah had a clip with Rosie and EH arguing about facts when Rosie was complaining about EH’s use of facts – it’s going to be the same with Whoopi. I have a really liberal aunt who says, “Let’s not talk about reality – let’s talk about our feelings,” in order to smooth over family squabbles. This is what liberals DO. Facts are irrelevant to debate.

Laura on September 5, 2007 at 8:09 AM

Anyone notice how quiet Al Sharpton has been throughout this whole affair? Isn’t he part of some animal rights organization?

Its Tommy on September 5, 2007 at 8:20 AM

I am so tired of hearing this same, lame excuse, over and over again.

budorob on September 5, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Karl,

I’m not going to drag it out. I bow to your superior legal knowledge. However, I still disagree, having SEEN people start fights over similar incidents. Then too, you also have to remember that a number of these people are probably heavily intoxicated at these events as well.

eclark1849 on September 5, 2007 at 10:01 AM

The way Ms. Goldberg uses the term culture sounds like those of particular culture were formed in the lefts petri dish of hate.

When an experiment goes wrong we simply have to say the culture went bad.

MSGTAS on September 5, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Yeah, Vick didn’t really know it was wrong. That’s why he lied to Goodell and Blanks in the beginning.

And, Whoopi.. don’t forget that slavery used to be “culturally acceptable” in the south. However, neither slavery nor dog-fighting are culturally acceptable today; even here in Atlanta.

MsUnderestimated on September 5, 2007 at 10:25 AM