Video: Iraq is a mess, says Mitt

posted at 2:32 pm on September 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

Via Politico — and Drudge, AmSpec, etc — apparently this qualifies as “news” although I’m not sure why. The GOP field has to get away from the war but they also have to do so in such a way as not to be seen as quitting on it. Rudy walks that tightrope by playing the ultra-hawk: the war on terror is so sprawling and important, we simply can’t afford to waste much more time tied up on one battlefield. Mitt counters, as you’ll see here, with the “declare victory and go home” approach, hoping that the country will be in good enough shape by next year that we can finally start to pull back and ultimately out. If you believe the Times, that’s Petraeus’s plan too, although in his case as in Mitt’s, the “plan” is born from the realization that the surge will end next spring as the surge troops’ tours expire and the GOP scrambles to get on the right side of public opinion ahead of the election. Mitt’s shrewdly buying himself time with this answer, as he’ll continue to do for the rest of the year, but he’ll be in a bind next April if things haven’t improved.

Which, I should add, they well might, today’s bad news notwithstanding. I just got my first e-mail from Bill Ardolino, now on the ground in Fallujah, and while I can’t scoop him by divulging specifics he tells me that the progress he’s seeing is, and I quote, “a miracle.” Stay tuned to INDC Journal this week for more.

Comments

Another lemming over the cliff

EricPWJohnson on September 4, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Mitt’s solution? Buy a time machine:

“Ok, well first of all, it is a mess,” Romney quickly admitted. “So, so when you got a mess, there is no easy, good answer. Alright. The easy, good answer is to turn the clock back and do some things differently a long time ago.”

After the surge, Romney said he envisioned a draw-down of U.S. troops where those who remained would take on a “support role” away from the front-lines.

Beyond that phase, Romney said he would then like to move to a “stand-by” posture. “Our troops are out of Iraq and are available if absolutely needed” at this point, he explained.

Since the time machine idea probably won’t work, his backup plan? The Murtha plan!

Nice going, pandering phoney. Don’t worry though, FlipFlop Mitt cultists- give him a day or two and he’ll change his position soon enough.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Damn. A lot of hate here for Mitt. What’s up?

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Allah,
Thanks for the heads up on Bill Ardolino, I noticed he hadn’t updated his blog and was starting to worry.

bnelson44 on September 4, 2007 at 2:58 PM

From everything I’ve read, this seems to be essentially the same as what Patraeus is going to be reporting in a few weeks. And aside from being a little more specific in regards to the overall timeline it sounds similar to some of the things I’ve heard from President Bush as well.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Damn. A lot of hate here for Mitt. What’s up?

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM

After 8 years of watching Bush abandon conservative principles, some of us don’t trust an East Coast, big government RINO who’s suddenly and radically changed positions to be any better.

At a time when the ideological direction of the Republican party is in serious question, the RINO trio of RudyMcRomney has some of us concerned. Personally, if Mitt, Rudy or McCain gets the nod, I vote 3rd party. Enough is enough.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Damn. A lot of hate here for Mitt. What’s up?

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Allah, this is nothing new from EricPW and Hollowpoint. Where there is a Mitt thread, Eric and HP are there to jump in and attempt to scare away the Hotair swing vote. Soon csdeven will arrive and we will have come full circle.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM

The war is going extremely well. You’d never know it from the coverage provided by the terrorist-coddling, fifth-columnist uber left-wing media, but the fact is that the Iraq War has been and is a roaring success by every meaningful standard. I often listen to a radio program to which active-duty service personnel frequently call in, and I can tell you that the optimism, confidence and morale that I hear in their voices truly is sky high.

The only one recurring sour note comes from the realization that if not for the aid and comfort provided to the Al-Qaeda terrorists in Iraq by the America-hating liberals in this country, our boys job would likely at this point be all but finished, ready to hand things off to the Iraqi army and government, and all set to board those ships and planes for their eagerly awaited trip home.

When I think of the needless deaths and suffering our boys have had to endure as a direct result of the machinations of the liberal blame-America-first crowd, it is very, very difficult for me to contain the intense anger and outrage I feel.

I think we should just trust our President in every decision that he makes and we should just support that.

FeralCat on September 4, 2007 at 3:05 PM

How sad is that? Instead of you know, finishing a job, doing what’s right by fighting terrorism on the terrorist’s turf, people are willing to sacrifice what’s right for what’s convenient. I guess if you only care about holding onto power and popular opinion by your fingernails, then doing what’s right is not in the least bit relevant. Perhaps the war on terrorism will start up again when another terrorist attack happens in the US. Or not.

mjk on September 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM

csdeven will be successfully countering Eric and HP of course.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:07 PM

He said it’s a mess, which it is, and he has a plan to clean it and leave it sound, not that the U.S. should therefore take their marbles and go home.

Great answer. Smart man.

He was also thinking on his feet (granted, it sounds like he’s given a lot of thought to this, which is proper.)

Mitt Romney’s more and more impressive. A bloody shame he almost certainly can’t get elected.

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 3:08 PM

It reminds me chillingly of what happened before WW2. Instead of all countries opening their doors to the beleagured Jewish populations displaced by Nazis, they said, well, it’s none of our concern. And slammed the doors shut. And the Jewish population paid for people’s apathy, with their lives.
What’s right is often circumvented by what’s convenient.

mjk on September 4, 2007 at 3:08 PM

mjk on September 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM

yeah that is a little sad isn’t it. But I guess when you have a job to do the first order of business is to get elected. What comes first the chicken or the egg?

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Hey, Allahpundit, this is TOTALLY off topic, but I’m building a WordPress theme today out of my website… is there anyway you could tell me what comment plug-in(s) you use… I’ve got the preview one installed, but the automatic tags for strong, emphasis, link, quote, etc., would be cool.

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 3:10 PM

csdeven will be successfully countering Eric and HP of course.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Doubtful, but I really wouldn’t know- I stopped reading his trolling, name-calling, substance-free posts long ago. He wants to support a flip-flopping RINO just because he’s Mormon, that’s his perogative.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I don’t handle any of the tech stuff.

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Thanks anyway.

Oh, one thing that I implemented that works very well (just install the plugin and it worked instantly without a template modification in sight) was AJAX comments.

I REALLY think you should ask your tech team to try this out. It will take 5-minutes to install and activate and if it works, it’ll cut your bandwidth bill for page refreshes and institute a “Charles Johnson”-style AJAX comment system to speed things along.

Push the button, boom, comment shows up. You could have it running by 4 eastern.

As the developer says:

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Probably one of the best ways you could spice up your WordPress Blog with AJAX; readers love it! Must see for yourself.

(forgot to include that with above… should have used preview!)

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Well Mitt, perhaps if you sent one of your dedicated, patriotic sons over there they could straighten up the “mess”. Now, get behind our military or shut up and back off.

rplat on September 4, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Well, you guys always made for a good read when you were going back and forth so I guess I’m sad to hear that you have stopped replying to him.

On second thought, perhpas it is for the best. You don’t want to get too distracted by csdeven. As soon as you have your back turned Mitt is going to scoop up all your guns. Look out!

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:24 PM

rplat on September 4, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I’m opposed to Mitt becoming the nominee, but lay off the chickenhawk BS. No one sends their sons to the military, it’s up to them to volunteer.

However in the unlikely event that Mitt got the nomination, you can be certain that the Dems will (fairly or not) play the draft-dodger card though- ditto for Rudy.

You’re right in that it looked bad for Mitt to be calling Iraq a “mess” when things are finally (if slowly) turning around in our favor. I’m not looking for a defeatist CIC.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, rplat, that is really dumb.

And Hollowpoint, I don’t think it looked bad. It sure as hell is messy. Find me an UNMESSY war zone.

His answer was great.

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Damn. A lot of hate here for Mitt. What’s up?

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Well gee Allah I wonder why? Could it be because you have misrepresented Mitt’s complete statement as “declare victory and go home” in your commentary even though he echoes Petraeus’ plan of achieving victory and drawing down, which is what President Bush has been saying all along? And Mitt will be in a bind next April if things haven’t improved? Well, he won’t be the only one!!!

And it seems the commenters are commenting based only on what you and those Politico hacks, etc. wrote without viewing the clip, which I think is Mitt at his best. Sounds better than anything I’ve heard from the other Republicans or any Democrat.

Brat on September 4, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:24 PM

All? No. However I would be directly affected since I do own a couple “assault weapons” that Mitt thinks look too scary for us ordinary citizens to be able to legally own. In any case, the lack of respect for the 2nd Amendment is but one of my objections to FlipFlop Mitt.

Probably a moot point though, since Mitt has a poor chance of getting the nomination and an even worse chance at winning the general election were he to do so.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Well put, Brat.

And I think he left himself A LOT of wiggle room to keep going even if tough.

He knew the questioner wanted to cut bait, but Romney didn’t bite.

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 3:35 PM

He has no choice but to distance himself from Bush. Even with the war going better…a lot better, he has to distance himself. He did it in a debate with Kennedy when Teddy pinned him to Reagan, Mitt ran from the conservative label. Now he is running from “the war on terror” label. Like someone said, he has to say what will get him elected. Sad, but true. It just makes it hard to know what he really wants or believes…besides wanting more votes.

right2bright on September 4, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Got to agree with HP here. Mitt is managing to piss me off on a daily basis right now. We need a strong conservative candidate right now to provide leadership , something we have been sorely lacking in the past 8 years.

conservnut on September 4, 2007 at 3:42 PM

…without viewing the clip, which I think is Mitt at his best. Sounds better than anything I’ve heard from the other Republicans or any Democrat.

Actually does well with the answer, I agree. Though two points of note: he does call Iraq a mess and he labels it a civil war. The second more significant than the first in my mind honestly.

I like Rudy’s answer better though.

Spirit of 1776 on September 4, 2007 at 3:44 PM

The Many Faces of Mitt Romney

2Brave2Bscared on September 4, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Hey Hollowpoint, right2bright, conservnut, et al.

How would you answer that question in the clip?

It seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Hollowpoint
“Nice going, pandering phoney”

My exact thoughts. Everyone claims Mitt is the Conservative Conservative however he does more double speak politico BS when talking than Clinton. Does that win elections yeah but does it make a good leader hell No. I can support people I don’t agree with on every point but do on my primary points however I cannot support someone who just says whatever anyone wants to hear at X point in time and literally puts a finger to wind before deciding what his “convictions” are.

Mitt’s idea of conservatism is to take the Democrats ideas and just put a repub stamp on it shrink the nanny factor a bit and whoolah.
-health care well lets have health care light of course once that box is opened and confirmed it wont grow into the socialist behemoth the Dems want.
-GWOT yeah we will fight it but as soon as the media pushes the polls down on it we will just give up. We wont have to finish later anyway, hell thats our grand kids problem anyway we got elections to win today. weee
ect……

C-Low on September 4, 2007 at 3:47 PM

How would you answer that question in the clip?

It seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 3:46 PM

“While I disagree with the way the aftermath of the liberation of Iraq was handled, I’d disagree with the characterization of Iraq as a mess. One only need look at the progress made in places like the Anbar province to demonstrate that the new- if belated- strategy is bearing fruit.

I understand not everyone agrees with the decision to take action in Iraq and respect their opinion. As Commander In Chief will seek to bring our soldiers home as quickly as possible, but not at the price of a defeat that would leave Iraq in the hands of a violent, extremist enemy.”

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM

In a week and a half it’ll be all Fred all the time so Mitt won’t have to worry about his foot in mouth disease.

- The Cat

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 4:07 PM

MirCat on September 4, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Darned tootin’!

omnipotent on September 4, 2007 at 4:22 PM

So sad when a GOP candidate has much much less courage than the average soldier in the field.

Romney has always struck me as a too-packaged phony. This is not helping his case with me.

Clark1 on September 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Just give Fred? a little more time,
Maybe he will
Finally get off the dime.
Oh, give Fred? just a little more time.

Give Fred? just a little more time,
He doesn’t want to
Leave Law-and-Order behind.
Oh, give Fred? just a little more time.
(Give Fred? just a little more time)

Give Fred? just a little more time,
Maybe he will
Find the words that will change your mind.
Oh, give Fred? just a little more time.
(Give Fred? just a little more time)

Give Fred? just a little more time,
He doesn’t want to
Leave the couch in his place behind.
Oh, give Fred? just a little more time.
(Give Fred? just a little more time)

MB4 on September 4, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Clark1 on September 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

What the hell are you talking about?

Are you attacking Mitt Romney’s courage and, if so, based on what?

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Clark1 on September 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

It takes no courage to be for or against, or to have mixed feelings about, a war that others are fighting.

MB4 on September 4, 2007 at 5:14 PM

You Mitt haters make me laugh.

Question: What are you going to do if elected?
Answer: Win (Success with the surge), Support, and then Standby if needed.

Wow. I mean that has never been the goal before in USA history. We have never won, supported the new nation, and then moved to standby any where else in the world. We just up and left Europe, Japan, West coast of North America, etc. after we won our military battles didn’t we?

It is amusing how you haters all seem to ignore words when Mitt speaks. “Three phases” by its very nature mean they have to happen one after the other. He believes the Surge will be successful and states that we will see more of that in ’08. Hmm, yeah he is really doubting our troops there. AFTER the success, our troops would support the Iraq forces; he obviously believes that they will be up to the task by the time the surge phase is complete. And then we withdraw our troops and put them on standby when they are no longer needed in a support role.

Yeah, he is really saying that we should leave and not let the military do its job.

Feel free to hate the man, not support him or his run, but please at least be a little more honest in your statements. If you cannot I will just assume you lack the intelligence to listen and understand what he says.

Voidseeker on September 4, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Emphasis added.

Agreed. There is much progress that is happening in Iraq and I am among the first to trumpet this news. However, there is still a lot that needs to be done in order for the Iraqi’s to take control.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Emphasis added, again.

What does this mean? Do you completely abandon any type of time frame for bringing the Troops home? Or do you support General Patraeus in his attempt to scale down the troop levels after the “Surge?” This is what I interpreted Mitt as suggesting: that after a successful “Surge” then the troop levels could be reduced and put in a support situation, while the Iraqi’s take on the lead in establishing their own governmental supremacy.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:22 PM

p.s. I haven’t made up my mind about any candidate yet, although Mitt and Rudy, both seem to be strong contenders.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:23 PM

I think a Mitt Romney – Rudy Guiliani ticket would be strong.

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 5:38 PM

I think a Mitt Romney – Rudy Guiliani ticket would be strong.

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 5:38 PM

I think the Democrats would pit their shants.

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Troy Rasmussen on September 4, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Yes, you do abandon specific time frames- especially when you characterize it as “soon”. Events and progress- not calendar dates- should dictate policy. And by saying they’ll be in a “support” capacity, it’s implied that they won’t be active in defeating the enemy… and we’ve seen how that goes in Fallujah and Anbar.

Certainly we can’t maintain a large troop presence in Iraq indefinately, but when he characterizes the war as a “mess” and puts more emphasis on timelines and withdrawl than on the success of the mission, it makes one wonder how committed to victory he is.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Good grief, all this talk about time frames and when to pull out – how ’bout we get out when the job is done? Or, we get out when we have achieved victory over the enemy?

This is another reason I don’t really care for Mitt – say whatever he needs to to pander to the weak-kneed wishy-washy linguine-spined middle.

jdawg on September 4, 2007 at 5:54 PM

I’d love a chance to vote for Fred!, I’ll vote for Rudy if I have to, otherwise I may stay home.

bdfaith on September 4, 2007 at 5:57 PM

…some of us don’t trust an East Coast, big government RINO who’s suddenly and radically changed positions to be any better

Hollow point.

His position on abortion changed from the 1990s, not in a single campaign or even a single week, like Kerry and Clinton. That is not “flip-flopping” but “maturing”, like Ronald Reagan.

Next, what is “Big Government” about running against Ted Kennedy, and fighting the Massachusetts legislature and the State’s tyrannical judiciary as Governor- not to mention taking on the “elites” at Harvard who see nothing wrong with farming embryos in the name of research?

I can only guess that you are referring to his health insurance plan for Massachusetts which is revolutionary, is supported by the Heritage Foundation, and is certainly worth a try. Any better ideas? It beats HillaryCare that’s for damned sure.

Moreover, Romney was raised in the Midwestern State of Michigan, not Massachusetts.

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM

jdawg on September 4, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Are you refering to the those same weak-kneed, wishy-washy linguine-spined middle who actually decide elections? If so, you might want to be kinder to them. They are the only people standing between you and another Clinton presidency. Lovely eh?

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 6:57 PM

I think a Mitt Romney – Rudy Guiliani ticket would be strong.

Christoph on September 4, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Agreed, but I don’t think either would settle for the #2 spot. But, for what its worth, the ticket would be a fine one.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Voidseeker on September 4, 2007 at 5:18 PM

I’ll second that!

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Wrong. He claims his position changed in 2004, but there’s no evidence that he changed his position before he started considering a run for President in 2005. When one goes from being staunchly pro-choice, and opposed to Roe v Wade being overturned one election to doing a complete 180 shortly before a campaign for another- it’s a flip-flop.

There’s nothing Big Government about losing to Ted Kennedy; raising fees and the gax taxes? Yeah. Wanting to spend more on federal health care and education? Yep. Also note that he was for embryonic research before he was against it. When did he change his mind? Again, 2005.

The Heritage Foundation endorsed his mandatory, increasingly costly health care plan after a $25,000 donation from Romney. Funny, that. While most conservatives were appalled at Bush’s expensive expansion of Medicare, Romney wants to expand it even further.

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM

So why not run in Michigan? Apparently for the same reason Hillary ran for the Senate in NYC instead of her home state of Arkansas. He may have been raised in Michigan, but his political career (all 4 years of it, not including his failed Senate campaign) were exclusively in Massachusetts.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 6:57 PM

If the polls are to believed, Nichole Ritchie would have a better chance standing between an NFL running rack and the goal line than Romney would have to defeat Hillary.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Hollow Point,

I don’t have time right now to address all your “points” but I’ll start with this.

Mitt was raised in Michigan. There, with the help of his MIDWESTERN parents, one of whom just happened to be the Governor of that State, is where his values were formed.

Moreover, using your argument, Arkansas is not Hillary’s “home State”. Illinois is.

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Are you paying attention to national polls? This early on? Ever? National polls are meaningless. Go state by state and you will have a better idea of what the outcome of the election would look like. In fact, that is the only way you will get an idea about what the end result of the election will look like.

Now, that being said. You may still be right. I don’t know. I havn’t taken the time to look at polls in each state seperately. Have you? My biggest concern about Romney, to tell you the truth, is that he might not be the most electable candidate on the Republican side come time for the general election. I’m pretty sure the electability qualification is held by Rudy. There is a long way to go though, so we shall see…

All’s I know at this point is that you and me, Hollowpoint, will most likely be voting for the same candidate come the general election in ’08.

Have a good night HP. I’ve got to head home now.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Damn, I’m in the middle of making dinner for my family, so I missed the most important point about Hollowpoint’s hollow point about Hillary and New York.

Mitt got his MBA/Law degree from Harvard and immediately went on to work for Bain and Company (and later started Bain Capital) which are in… Massachusetts.

Hillary had NO connections to New York when she chose that State to launch her political career. Zilch. Zero. Nada.

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Mitt in ’08,(he answered the question as well as any of them), Tancredo let me down on having no plan for the healthcare issue, which is getting worse each year. Mitt at least is fishing with the right bait. 27 million uninsured and growing. Yes I have BCBS and I pay though the nose, Why?? because we already have socialized healthcare and its for everyone except the working Amer. men and women. Companies just can’t afford to give a plan to hard working Americans and then the gov. give’s it away to all the illegals, theres something very wrong with that..Everyone of the illegals I see are always walking with two anchors and one in the oven and its all on our health bill in the end. A van yesterday flipped over on the expressway, all illegals,(driving without a license,of course) 14 of them, 2 dead and the other 12 are now using your socialized healthcare plan. You can join in on it to, just get rid of your house, your cars then theres nothing to take away. What a life that would be..Well the illegals live by that rule, all their money is stuffed up inside their mattresses, while we pay the bill. 27 million votes out there, Mitt. The Dims where willing to use 3 trillion tax dollars to buy their voters of the future and may still do it. I say fight fire with fire and bring some in from the middle and the left who are looking for a secure border and a healthcare idea, that at the least will give all who work an affordable plan. And get a AfricanAmer. women running mate and we are in.

Legions on September 4, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 8:14 PM

So… you’re saying that my characterization of Mitt as an East Coaster was correct? Um… sorry? My bad?

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Damn. A lot of hate here for Mitt. What’s up?

Allahpundit on September 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Directly above you mate.

BKennedy on September 4, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Hollow Points,

Let’s see if I can follow your “logic”.

After his formative years in the Midwest, a year at Stanford, missionary work in France, and graduating from BYU he went to Harvard Grad School (EGADS!), and then went to work for Bain and Company, both of which happen to be in Massachusetts.

Surely you are not going to argue that anyone who takes such a route if forever tainted with liberalism and just can’t compare to FRED, who has spent how many years in Hollywood?

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Hollow Point,

Continuing this discussion…

There’s nothing Big Government about losing to Ted Kennedy…?

Huh? Losing to Ted Kennedy is an example of “Big Government”? Lame, very lame.

Wanting to spend more on federal health care and education?

Specifics please? His compulsory insurance plan for Massachusetts was a State plan that may have possibilities as a guide for the rest of the country but is not a “federal” plan.

You think the Heritage Foundation would sacrifice their core principles for a measly $25,000? They are a fine organization and did a stellar job of trashing (Fred’s friend) McCain’s shamnesty Bill, so, thanks for the donation Mitt!.

And since you’re a Second Amendment guy, didn’t John Lott just give a speech to the Heritage Foundation about his new book, Freedomnomics? Gosh, I hope he hasn’t been corrupted by being in their presence.

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Guess the candidate:

One held office in a liberal state and espoused “moderate” views such as being pro-Roe v Wade, pro-big government health care and education, and pro-gun control. Reversed abortion position for his campaign.

One held office for a conservative state but spent decades working in liberal cities, yet consistantly maintained conservative views- anti-Roe v Wade, anti-big government, and anti-gun control. Maintained conservative views for his campaign.

Hollowpoint on September 4, 2007 at 10:15 PM

One held office in a liberal state…

Hollowpoint,

So what?? Wasn’t Reagan (to name one conservative California Governor) the Governor of the liberal state of California? Do you just want to hand over the Blue States to Blue governance? What’s your point?

Meanwhile, I can’t find a thing that supports your claim that he wants to expand Medicare. Quite the contrary, he supports free market solutions and wants to reform it accordingly.

Could you be misrepresenting his positions? Say it ain’t so!

Goodnight.

Buy Danish on September 4, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Dems=Whites/Blacks/Hispanic=Win GOP=Whites/??/=Lose The future is now..and if you can’t see that we are going to have to move a little more to the center, than more to the right, then I just don’t know which end is up anymore..A middle of the road, tough on the borders GOP pres. is better than the alternative (hilary-osama). Seeing how the last election was decided by less than 200,ooo votes. On election night I need to see RED not Blue and if it takes courting the middle then forget Fred, forget Rudy(santcuary mayor of the century) and McCain(Kennedy’s best friend). Mitts our guy, he walks the walk, and reminds me of Regan in his mannerism. I’m new to the GOP and have a gut feeling there are many more who would like to come on board. You’re not going to lose the far right anyway, do you think any will sit this one out just to protest, I don’t think so being this next election will decide the future of our nation forever. Why? if the Dems win and give amnesty to 20 million and let them bring in their relatives its all over for the GOP, it will be too late to try and more to the center by then. Goodnight.

Legions on September 4, 2007 at 11:08 PM

Soon csdeven will arrive and we will have come full circle.

Zetterson on September 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Sorry to disappoint! I used my sound system for my daughters wedding on Saturday and haven’t hooked it back up yet. So, I can’t hear Mitts! comments to be able to speak to them.

But I can respond to yours. Mentioning those two does nothing for the debate. The Rudy and Mitt! detractors are basically single issue voters who are angry at fred? for jerking them around for 5 months and are desperate to justify to us their hair renting support for him. I don’t blame them for being fooled by fred?. I blame fred? for preying on the weakest minds in the conservative base. He is extending his character from his TV shows into a non-campaign for POTUS. It worked in Tennessee, but the rest of the country is not Tennessee. We aren’t fooled by bluejeans, flannel shirts, and fake red pickup trucks.

freds? avoidance of tonights debate, while clearly an act of cowardice that we, the wisest of the base, can see through, his groupies see it as a virtue. Since when have conservatives wanted to be faked out by their candidate? fred? is nothing and the wisest of us are waiting for him to grow a pair and answer the tough questions in unfriendly confines. Conversely, the groupies throw out the strong conservative values that help us hold our candidates to higher standards than the libs do of their candidates.

csdeven on September 5, 2007 at 9:37 AM

How sad is that?
mjk on September 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Unlike the liberals, we want to hold onto power so we can have success in Iraq. The libs want to fail in Iraq in order to get into power. THEY are the ones playing politics with our troops. The reps are making concessions in order to give the troops the opportunity to protect our country for future generations.

csdeven on September 5, 2007 at 9:41 AM

rplat on September 4, 2007 at 3:20 PM

What a ignorant person you are. How does ANY person SEND anyone to join an all volunteer military?

Try saying something smart that is critical of Mitt! instead of misguided claptrap.

csdeven on September 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Voidseeker on September 4, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Right on! These fools refuse to accept ANY realities that show Mitt! has the deepest grasp on the issues facing the surge.

The bottom line is that in April, the 15 month tours of the surge troops will begin. PERIOD! The troops are guaranteed 15 month tours with no extension, followed by 1 year at home. Mitt! knows this and is planning for that inevitability. These jagoffs don’t care about the troops. They want to extend and re-extend them so as to give them fodder to criticize Mitts! plan.

Stupid son-of-a-bitchen single issue groupies! I’m sure they sit around watching re-runs of freds? TV show.

csdeven on September 5, 2007 at 9:58 AM

jdawg on September 4, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Bwahahahahaha!!! Mitts! grasp of the realities in Iraq is way beyond yours! There’s this pesky little rule that guarantees the troops 12 months at home after each 15 month tour with NO extensions. Guess what you poor misguided soul? April begins the end of the 15 month tours. We do not have fresh troops to continue the surge at the levels we are now. Part of the 82nd is relieved by the 101st at the end of September. Another part comes home in March.

Wake up, dig your head outta yer a$$, clean the $hit outta yer ears, and PAY ATTENTION or leave the thinking to others.

csdeven on September 5, 2007 at 10:08 AM

As of 8/29, Romney was well ahead in New Hampshire. It will be interesting to see what results he gets after spending Labor Day Weekend there – where voters who met with him can make up their own minds without people like Hollowpoint misrepresenting his positions and statements after the fact.

Buy Danish on September 5, 2007 at 10:27 AM