Calderon: “Wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico”

posted at 10:18 pm on September 2, 2007 by Allahpundit

Hard to choose a money quote here (aside from the one in the headline, I mean). I was leaning towards this

The Mexican government, he said, would continue to “energetically protest unilateral actions” of the U.S. Congress on the immigration front that he said “exacerbate the persecution of undocumented Mexicans in the U.S.”

– just because the idea that America’s enforcement of its own laws shouldn’t be a wholly internal issue makes me smile.

But then I saw DRJ’s post. We have a winner.

kp-reaction.jpg

Update (Bryan): Following Calderon’s logic, does this mean that Mexico is now Iraq?

On Aug. 14, the same day the car was stolen for the attempted bomb attack, two Iraqi men were arrested in northern Mexico with false passports heading for the U.S.

These arrests show that Middle East immigrant groups have already set up a rat-line into the U.S. with the Sinaloa Cartel, which controls alien smuggling routes around Arizona.

U.S. intelligence says the number of Iraqis caught trying to sneak across the U.S. has tripled this year. In 2007, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection intercepted 178 Iraqi asylum-seekers vs. 60 in 2006. For every one that’s caught, 10 others get away.

“We have intelligence about al-Qaida identifying Latin America as a potential or prospective area where they could come through,” U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, told the El Paso Times.

Or does it just mean that those of us who say that the porous US borders are a national security problem might know what we’re talking about?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I feel I can label myself how I choose. I prefer Mexican-American to Hispanic or Latina because they are too
broad of terms in defining my cultural background. Hispanic means my ancestry is from Spain or Portugal and I’m not 100% certain of that. But if it makes you guys happy I’ll call my say I’m Hispanic in the comment threads of Hotair since it seems to offend so many people:) Ok, so let’s drop.

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 1:28 PM

You can (obviously) label yourself however you want, as long as you’re aware of the sentiment permeating our society right now re: “Mexican issues” (resulting from this speech & other events). I think many of us here can handle it, though…I detect from the posts it was just a reaction to your post without thoroughly understanding your tone or intent.

If you are second-generation, it almost makes no sense to me, personally, to use the hyphen…I tend to utilize the hyphens for first-generation Americans, since they just arrived from their birth country. And yet, if they came here legally, chances are they don’t hypenate.

The other reason I don’t use hyphens? Check mine out: English-, Scottish-, Welsh-, Irish-, French-, German-, Bohemian-, Dutch-, Swedish-, Norwegian-, Native-American.

I prefer American, for many reasons. If you’re American, I like hearing your ancestry anyway…that’s going to come out in conversations with me. But hyphenating can get a little tricky after a point, so I just leave it.

Make sense?

Miss_Anthrope on September 4, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Maybe the US should just Annex Mexico and get this cr@p over with…

doriangrey on September 4, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Hmmm, since so many want our troops out of Iraq because of “no threat” to our shores, let’s send them to Mexico ala Gen. John ” Black Jack” Pershing’s stoppage of Villista’s crossing our borders back in 1916. Since Calderon is already advocating an invasion of the USA, we are duty bound to stop the invasion and , in fact, go so far as to make sure that it can’t happen again. Don’t like the scenario? Then start obeying our laws!!!

MNDavenotPC on September 4, 2007 at 3:40 PM

The sh*t gets deeper all the time. Thank you Bush….

build the wall on September 4, 2007 at 9:17 PM

the law of unintentional consequences…unseen on September 4, 2007 at 5:13 AM

Avery good summation, Unseen, although I differ with the following:

The increase in this mass immigration that flaunts our laws and our history cause the nation to look inward and renounce the free trade/new world order and increase the Nationalism view of the vast majority of US. Setting the stage for a leader like Hitler to rise up in the next 10 to 20 years and play on our anger, hate, and fear of job loss, lack of security etc or a rebellion that causes wide spread damage. This will be a 3rd unintended consequence of the new world order. unseen on September 4, 2007 at 5:13 AM

People are not looking inward. They are defending their homes.

We can have free trade without giving amnesty to 30 million self selected, non assimilating Mexicans.

We do not have fear of job loss. We have job loss. Job busting in fact, by 30 million scabs imported from Mexico to work outside the law, freeing employers from the burdens of legal business, and transferring a huge burden of supporting the illegal sub culture to the middle class who pay income taxes that no longer come back to help them

This is not the delusion of the Protocals of Zion enslaving the innocent Nazi. This is 30 million real infiltrators, imported by real enemies who have no interest in the voice of the people

Pre WWII Germany was broke from WWI and found a racist scapegoat. Post WWII America is abandoning the rule of law and has three authentic perps: corrupt leaders who selectively apply the law, corrupt businesses who solicit illegal employees to gain advantage, and illegal aliens who ignore our borders and laws to take any job they can get away with and demand citizenship without assimilation.

Of these three perps, not one loves America

I call the displaced American worker the real scapegoat

The final deed was almost done this Memorial Day except for a mighty shout from the downtrodden middle class.

There is a war right now and it is our middle class defending themselves with swords and shovels against the mighty armies of business and politics supported by their endless supply of willing serfs from Mexico.

entagor on September 5, 2007 at 3:44 AM

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 1:28 PM

I have lived in south Texas my entire life and have known many, many people, that refer to themselves as Mexican-Americans. The vast majority of them have been good honest Americans. So don’t allow anyone to convince you to call yourself anything other than what you choose.

And anyone that tells you otherwise can kiss my European-American ass.

coldshot on September 5, 2007 at 11:36 AM

coldshot on September 5, 2007 at 11:36 AM

The point people are making regarding terryannonline , is not so much what the individual calls him/herself, rather it’s the rationale and the apparent support of Calderon’s ignorant comment. Don’t push “the poor illegal’s plight” in my face, ever. Oh and you’ll be in the “position” a helluva long time before I honor your request.

MNDavenotPC on September 5, 2007 at 2:03 PM

entagor on September 5, 2007 at 3:44 AM

This is what I mean already 80% of the US population wants tighter enforcment. If the globalists insist on their course of the new world order the backlash will be big. The anger and resentment will be so great that a charismatic leader could take advantage of the problem and push the fear/hate/anger buttons to move this country into a massive world war with major ramifications for “others”

This is the exact oppisite of what the globalists think they are doing.

unseen on September 5, 2007 at 2:44 PM

MNDavenotPC on September 5, 2007 at 2:03 PM

The Mexican-Americans I was referring to are all legal U.S. citizens. As I imagine terryannonline is also. Don’t let your apparent anger over an ignorant statement made by Calderon cause you to lash out at U.S. citizens of Mexican descent.

I have not nor will I ever push “the poor illegal’s plight” in your or anyone else’s face. I would like all illegal aliens of whatever nationality returned to their country of origin.

As for my request, if the shoe fits wear it.

coldshot on September 5, 2007 at 4:53 PM