Calderon: “Wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico”

posted at 10:18 pm on September 2, 2007 by Allahpundit

Hard to choose a money quote here (aside from the one in the headline, I mean). I was leaning towards this

The Mexican government, he said, would continue to “energetically protest unilateral actions” of the U.S. Congress on the immigration front that he said “exacerbate the persecution of undocumented Mexicans in the U.S.”

– just because the idea that America’s enforcement of its own laws shouldn’t be a wholly internal issue makes me smile.

But then I saw DRJ’s post. We have a winner.

kp-reaction.jpg

Update (Bryan): Following Calderon’s logic, does this mean that Mexico is now Iraq?

On Aug. 14, the same day the car was stolen for the attempted bomb attack, two Iraqi men were arrested in northern Mexico with false passports heading for the U.S.

These arrests show that Middle East immigrant groups have already set up a rat-line into the U.S. with the Sinaloa Cartel, which controls alien smuggling routes around Arizona.

U.S. intelligence says the number of Iraqis caught trying to sneak across the U.S. has tripled this year. In 2007, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection intercepted 178 Iraqi asylum-seekers vs. 60 in 2006. For every one that’s caught, 10 others get away.

“We have intelligence about al-Qaida identifying Latin America as a potential or prospective area where they could come through,” U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, told the El Paso Times.

Or does it just mean that those of us who say that the porous US borders are a national security problem might know what we’re talking about?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

what a bunch of brown supremacist racists!

Defector01 on September 2, 2007 at 10:22 PM

So let me see if I get this straight.

There is at least one Mexican in Hell, that must mean that Mexico is Hell.

Sounds about right to me!

Tim Burton on September 2, 2007 at 10:26 PM

I’m paying my taxes to the wrong country…

The Mexican government couldn’t be more hypocritical on this…looking at their own immigration policy…

JetBoy on September 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM

See…..

Even the Mexicans want their people back immediately. We Americans are persecuting them. I think it would be wrong for us to keep these Mexicans in America one second longer and call for the government to set up an emergency repatriation program.

Perhaps the illegals should go now to the nearest post office and wait for further instructions. Rest assured we will get you back to Mexico as quickly as possible.

highhopes on September 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM

So the official position of the Mexican government is that Mexico has a Manifest Destiny? Great! Now we are – by their own admission – victims of imperialism and have Absolute Moral Authority to defend our land.

Nosferightu on September 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Mexico starts where reality begins.
Sorry to be such a “racist”. Just want to protect what is OUR own.

Abu Bin Squid on September 2, 2007 at 10:39 PM

If I ever go back to Mexico, I will announce ” I Am an American, this is now America”. Then I will tell them to get the hell off my lawn.

bbz123 on September 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM

I’m paying my taxes to the wrong country…

JetBoy on September 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Rest assured, your money is getting back to the “right” country.

Nosferightu on September 2, 2007 at 10:42 PM

How generous of him…to bestow Mexicans living illegally in the USA with American rights, and then complaining when we want to send them back to Mexico.

AP – I just donated your lawn mower to the guy down the block. If you want it back, I’ll be pissed!

stonemeister on September 2, 2007 at 10:43 PM

Unbeleivable.

I wonder if Rudy still supports a path to citizenship for people that are encouraged by ther home country to have zero loayalty to the U.S.

Better pay attention Rudy supporters I have not heard him endorse workplace enforcement, and deportation.

Theworldisnotenough on September 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM

And this is an ally?! How do you say douche in Spanish? El Douche?

Thomas the Wraith on September 2, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Calderon: “Wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico”

Until it gets too much like Mexico, then they will leave just like they left Mexico.

MB4 on September 2, 2007 at 10:52 PM

El Douche?

9 and 4. ERA 3.32

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2007 at 10:54 PM

President Felipe Calderon blasted U.S. immigration policies on Sunday and promised to fight harder to protect the rights of Mexicans in the U.S., saying “Mexico does not end at its borders.” The criticism earned Calderon a standing ovation

Remember those wonderful feelings of victory and national pride throughout your life?

WWII, the Gulf war, Olympic medals, Baseball, Superbowl games…That’s the kind of standing ovation Caldron got from the Mexican Congress.

I’m not appreciative of a foreigners end zone dance from the Mexican Iwo Jima, flag planting in my home…My America.

Mission Accomplished. Palo Alto, 8 May 1846 war broke out between Mexico and America 2 Sept. 2007 Mexico celebrates victory.

Speakup on September 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM

Those gang turf wars take on a whole new meaning at this point.They have been fighting in our streets for decades. This is no longer a police matter IMHO.

bbz123 on September 2, 2007 at 11:11 PM

If he says so.

Calderon: “Wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico”

MB4 on September 2, 2007 at 11:20 PM

William Amos on September 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM

Yep…and following that logic of our buddy Geraldo, the Brits must have the same nostalgia for their colonies. So is the US British? Mexican?

The big question remains: Will Washington ever get seroius about illegal immigration? Will there ever be a wall?

JetBoy on September 2, 2007 at 11:22 PM

No, I’m Mexican-American…not Mexican.

terryannonline on September 2, 2007 at 11:23 PM

WA at 11:14. so all law, contractual, et-al is no longer valid because there are people that “feel” differently.
Boo friggin hoo.

bbz123 on September 2, 2007 at 11:23 PM

oh, I forgot to add … and I’m not living in Mexico.

terryannonline on September 2, 2007 at 11:26 PM

I was going to say something but a commenter at Patterico’s hit it for me:

Not only does Mexico end at its borders, but the last time we and Mexico had a serious dispute about those borders, things didn’t turn out too well for Mexico.

Not that I’m sayin’, I’m just sayin’.

Comment by McGehee — 9/2/2007 @ 6:37 pm

I will add this for Mr. Calderon. Here’s a brief play-by-play of the last little scrape you had with U.S.

And here, at Buena Vista, my ancestors served during the butt whoopin we put on your boy Santa Ana.

Like McGehee said at Patterico’s, Not that I’m sayin’, I’m just sayin’.

Pilgrim on September 2, 2007 at 11:27 PM

I think people are looking at this the wrong way.

Calderon states that “wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico.” Mathematically, then, Mexico consists of any set containing a Mexican. Or, a Mexican (Mn) is assured to be contained in the set Mexico (Mx), because the set consists of all locations where the number of Mexicans present is greater than zero.

So, we have { Mn ∈ Mx : Mn > 0 } — but we also know that the United States (Us) is not Mexico ( Us != Mx ). Thus we must conclude that Mn ∉ Us and the number of Mexicans in the United States is an empty set.

{ Mn ∈ Us : Mn > 0} = ∅

Therefore, there are no Mexicans in the United States. QED.

… you know, my math is rusty, but I think I just solved the illegal immigration problem.

Well-Armed Lamb on September 2, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Did he just tell us “yeah,it’s on”???

bbz123 on September 2, 2007 at 11:32 PM

build the wall. If we get rid of the illegal alien cheap labor, we’ll bring on the robots that do the job just as good and for free. Machines have always been invented during times of necessity. These Mexican aliens have worn out their welcome. I’m sure lots of them are hard working and only want to provide a better life for their family. However, that does not mean that they deserve the tax dollars reserved for AMERICANS.

ThackerAgency on September 2, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Did he just tell us “yeah,it’s on”???

bbz123 on September 2, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Don’t know if he said “it’s on” but I’m all but certain he just cancelled the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo. Particularly Article V containing:

The boundary line established by this article shall be religiously respected by each of the two republics, and no change shall ever be made therein, except by the express and free consent of both nations, lawfully given by the General Government of each, in conformity with its own constitution.

Pilgrim on September 2, 2007 at 11:40 PM

but we also know that the United States (Us) is not Mexico

Might wanna check that.

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM

huh?

terryannonline on September 2, 2007 at 11:43 PM

terryannonline on September 2, 2007 at 11:43 PM

seems like this might be where we differ from calderone

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Good find Pilgrim.
Isn’t he supposed to be GW’s good buddy? I think an imminent response of some kind is required at this stage. Like many of the above posters stated, and adding your discovery to that sentiment, it is time to get the word out to all Americans that a treaty has been formally declared void.

bbz123 on September 2, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Sorry JiangxiDad,
I get your comment now. I’m a little slow sometimes.

terryannonline on September 2, 2007 at 11:49 PM

“Wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico”

Where I live, Mexicans (and their decendants) who have come here legally don’t think that way at all.

It’s the illegal Mexicans who have turned Southern California into a third-word cesspool.

infidel4life on September 2, 2007 at 11:54 PM

There is no such thing as a hyphenated American.

Theworldisnotenough on September 3, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Theworldisnotenough on September 3, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Sure, why not?

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 12:06 AM

“Wherever there is an American, there is America”

We’d be accused of every -ism under the sun . . .

elpresidente on September 3, 2007 at 12:08 AM

No, no, no. It means we’re secretly raaacist. Didn’t you get the memo?

SouthernDem on September 3, 2007 at 12:25 AM

When he agreed to meet with the Mistress of the Bark, I wrote it off as the politics of his position. But this is beyond the pale.

But given who is running for President, Calderon has nothing to fear for his nutty rhetoric. Nothing but friends to the illegals.

Jaibones on September 3, 2007 at 12:39 AM

Even if hordes of al-Qaeda terrorist aren’t slipping through the southern border, hordes of drug smugglers and hyper-violent gangsters (MS-13) are.

America’s porous borders are a pressing public safety issue, if not a national security one.

Mike Honcho on September 3, 2007 at 12:41 AM

ROTFLMAO! I think I just woke up the neighbors.

Mike Honcho on September 3, 2007 at 12:44 AM

I wasn’t sure who “Mistress of the Bark” was referring to but after reading this, I think I know who.

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 12:50 AM

This is a special alert

Citizens of Mexico who are in this nation with other than a legal status. Do not panic. The government of the United States has been informed by your president that you are being persecuted. Please stand by for repatriation with your homeland as quickly as possible. Please stand by for further directions but rest assured that the US has no intention of keeping any human being against their will and the American government will do its utmost to get you out of this hell hole and back to the Mexican utopia.

highhopes on September 3, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Is the wall built yet ?

Maxx on September 3, 2007 at 1:13 AM

If this is the case when can we expect Mexico to pay beck the American people for supporting their people here illegally ???

Mojack420 on September 3, 2007 at 1:17 AM

Can we take this as confirmation that the invaders don’t plan on assimilating any time soon?

Master Shake on September 3, 2007 at 1:24 AM

I heard this one a while back:

We have a lot of illegals slipping into the country looking for work.
New Orleans needs higher levees built to keep the Mississippi River out.
Florida has an excess of alligators.

Solutions to the above problems:

Pay the illegals to dig a moat across the southern border. Have them take the dirt to New Orleans and build the levees higher.
Have them catch a few thousand alligators in Florida.
Pump water into the southern border moat, and put the alligators in it.
Have them collect their paychecks on the other side of the border.

Texas Nick 77 on September 3, 2007 at 1:27 AM

No, I’m Mexican-American…not Mexican.

terryannonline on September 2, 2007 at 11:23 PM

…otherwise I’d have to be a Transylvanian-American…alas, I prefer to be an American. Why would anyone wish to be diminished by a hyphen?

Unrelated, but OT, saw on Q & A today Ray LaHood with Brian Lamb. All went well until LaHood began to gripe about the ‘horror’ of Lou Dobbs having misled an entire country on “the good the Congress intended to do on amnesty” or something to that effect.

Suggestions:

1. No more “illegal immigrants/immigration” – immigration can only be legal. Anything else is an illegal infiltration.

2. No mixing of this illegal infiltration with the WOT as the strongest argumentation point – it diminishes the illegality. The war is very serious. Terrorists should be fought in all ways. However, the infiltration and cost of all it brings is a huge problem in and by itself, beginning with our government’s inability to control its sovereignty.

If Mr. Bush 43 would have cojones he’d call Señor Calderon and remind him of a few…

Entelechy on September 3, 2007 at 1:28 AM

Hey Felipe….. Sounds like you have delusions of being an Emperor. Here is a little clue for you: If you want to build an empire, you have to be able to project the power.

That means having a strong economy. That means having an Army loyal to the Emperor, not the drug cartels. That means having a Navy consisting of more than three rubber rafts, a row boat and a garbage barge. In the modern world that also means having an Air Force of many aircraft capable of delivering massive amounts of not only munitions, but troops and materials.

You also have to have a successful internal culture.

Mexico has none of those.

All you have are hordes of hungry people who want to escape from your failed culture.

In a year and a few months, we are going to have a new President…. Likely one who isn’t going to be as subservient to you as the current one.

So, Felipe; Kiss my Sovereign American Posterior.

Oh, And one more thing ‘Paco’…..

If Mexican Law goes wherever a Mexican goes;

That should mean that the USA can start enforcing its southern border just like you enforce YOUR southern border.

Think on that for a moment.

LegendHasIt on September 3, 2007 at 1:29 AM

No, I’m Mexican-American…not Mexican.
terryannonline on September 2, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Interesting that you place being Mexican first.

Get back to me if you decide to be an American who just happens to be of Mexican extraction. You will be welcome.

Sincerely;
An American of (primarily) Celtic extraction who would feel really stupid calling myself a Celtic American.
(unless perhaps I played for the Boston basketball team)

LegendHasIt on September 3, 2007 at 1:38 AM

Entelechy on September 3, 2007 at 1:28 AM

Are you so sure that Jorge Arbusto didn’t write his speech for him?

MB4 on September 3, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Entelechy on September 3, 2007 at 1:28 AM

I really wasn’t copying your idea, even though it appears so… Honest… I was typing mine as you were posting yours… Don’t get mad at me because I’m a slow typist.

Consider it a ‘Great Minds Think Alike’ sort of thing.
;-)

LegendHasIt on September 3, 2007 at 1:43 AM

I got one for Calderon

wherever our Army occupied is truly ours to be governed.

Didn’t we occupy Mexico City? Might be time for a repeat

Defector01 on September 3, 2007 at 1:45 AM

LegendHasIt – love you – your post was very polite and I was happy to see it, in addition to your previous one. Best regards,

Entelechy on September 3, 2007 at 1:49 AM

:-)

LegendHasIt on September 3, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Pilgrim on September 2, 2007 at 11:40 PM

So, dose this mean the next republican president can suspend Posse Comitatus and put an armored division on the southern boarder? I mean, I don’t expect “W” to do anything about it, and I would probably join the nutroots in calls for his impeachment if a AQ attack originates over the boarder.

I guess the only thing we can count on in this is that it’s going to get worse before it gets any better.

liquidflorian on September 3, 2007 at 3:43 AM

Mike Honcho on September 3, 2007 at 12:41 AM

MS-13 coming to a neighnorhood near you.

fred5678 on September 3, 2007 at 6:07 AM

I figure that if we elect another open borders President then it’s all over but the crying.

To me the litmus test for a candidate is no longer will they build a fence but will they deport the illegals already here.

Buzzy on September 3, 2007 at 7:49 AM

AP, I wrote to Michelle some time ago the Mexican government would start complaining about the U.S. returning their people back to Mexico.

Forget, 1848, Mexico will pretend, “like it never happened”.

Its going to get worse, too.

kiakjones on September 3, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Can we please militarize the border now?

steveegg on September 3, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Calderone would have at least some credibility if he were doing anything to help the Mexs in their own country. He’s about as full of c–p as anyone I’ve heard lately. And Bush? I guess he’s so insulated from reality that he doesn’t know or doesn’t care that his policies are creating the seeds of a full fledged rebellion. Kennedy? He’s keeping VERY quiet so perhaps people will forget he was behind the whole idea. Fat chance Teddy!! The anger just keeps on building and the Prez and the Hill are(as usual)the last ones to get it—if they ever do.

jeanie on September 3, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Our cowards in Washington D.C. won’t get it until a U.S. city gets nuked. Then they’ll get it… and blame somebody/something else.

Mojave Mark on September 3, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Buzzy on September 3, 2007 at 7:49 AM

I agree, if ’08 brings another open borders fool, then it’s all over for the middleclass whites & blacks. The upperclass will thrive. Until the lower class vote themselves, changing labor laws, vote in unions and stab the elites in their traitor backs. By that time however, the elites will have amassed so much capital they won’t care. All they care about is getting rid of the white middleclass PERIOD.

Legions on September 3, 2007 at 9:30 AM

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Sorry, but Elvira is such a household name, I just assumed. So, it’s “Elvira, Mistress of the Bark”.

Jaibones on September 3, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Americans won’t fight for what is theirs, so Mexico will take it.

Same old, same old.

Hening on September 3, 2007 at 9:51 AM

You’re either American or not. Mexicans are not.

countywolf on September 3, 2007 at 10:32 AM

I can label myself whatever I want.
And I wouldn’t be the only person to use hyphen when
defining their ethnicity. Man, why you’ll so uptight?

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Geraldo sayz:

Isn’t it reasonable to think that residents of Mexico might hold some affection and nostalgia for their lost North America Empire, especially if part of their family still resides on this side of the modern line?

georgej on September 3, 2007 at 11:46 AM

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 11:03 AM

American is an ethnicity?

Theworldisnotenough on September 3, 2007 at 12:53 PM

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Mexican is a nationality not an ethnicity, so unless you hold dual citizenship you are either Mexican or you are American, but you are not both. If you are a Mexican then please return to Mexico, your presence in this country is neither required or desired. If you are an American please cease identifying yourself as a Mexican and identify yourself as an American.

No one here objects to you being a Mexican, and if you wish to be a Mexican in the United States we simply ask you to do it according to our laws. If you cant be bothered to do it according to our laws either please return to Mexico or don’t be surprised when we forcibly return you to Mexico.

In summary, unless you are a dual citizen of Mexico and The United States you are not a Mexican-American. Please be advised you have a choice to make, how you choose will determine how American society interacts with you in the future.

That choice is where your loyalties lie, are they with Mexico or The United States. Keep in mind, 80% of American citizens want our immigration laws enforced, and well over 50% want all illegal immigrants deported to their nation of origin.

More and more American citizens are seeing the illegal immigration problem with Mexico as a intentional attempt by Mexico at reconquestia, Calderon’s “Wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico” speech will only add fuel to that fire.

There is going to be a horrible backlash to the “Mexican-American” community over this issue. You face the very real possibility of being perceived as collaborators with an invading army because you insisted on identifying yourselves as Mexicans first…

doriangrey on September 3, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I’m uptight for the following reasons. I live in a country that is the best in the world yet will not protect it’s right to exist. There is country south of us whose leader has ,in effect, declared war on us. We have been invaded by a people who have violated our laws, committed crimes and then have every expectation of entitlement. I’m uptight because it is apparent that the protection of our sovereign rights is to be left up to people like me and others. So, yeah I’m uptight, got a problem with it? Oh, my ancestors came from Ireland and worked to gain their citizenship. I am most assuredly NOT American Irish or Irish American, I am a citizen of the United States of America.

MNDavenotPC on September 3, 2007 at 1:15 PM

Again,
I feel I can label myself how I choose. I prefer Mexican-American to Hispanic or Latina because they are too
broad of terms in defining my cultural background. Hispanic means my ancestry is from Spain or Portugal and I’m not 100% certain of that. But if it makes you guys happy I’ll call my say I’m Hispanic in the comment threads of Hotair since it seems to offend so many people:) Ok, so let’s drop.

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Interesting that you place being Mexican first.

Sincerely;
(unless perhaps I played for the Boston basketball team)

LegendHasIt on September 3, 2007 at 1:38 AM

I can label myself whatever I want.
And I wouldn’t be the only person to use hyphen when
defining their ethnicity. Man, why you’ll so uptight?

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Many Americans self identify by their ethnicity first. I have heard perfectly loyal patriots of myriad extractions refer to themselves in this manner – Italians, Irish, Mexicans, Cubans, Japanese, Croations, Vietnamese, Indians, Filipinos, Russians, etc.

Of course it would be nice if everybody called themselves Americans and nothing more. But many people think and act as Americans without shedding their ethnic identity. America is still a very young nation, whose citizens represent the entire world. I think it will be several generations before we attain that ideal.

By and large, these labels are non-consequential. That is, unless one’s allegiances are divided.

Furthermore, many Americans have fought hard to be recognized fully as citizens. There are many thousands of Americans who died for this nation, while its citizens still referred to them with derogatory language and/or epithets.

It’s pretty convenient to demand consistency until we need to define people for our own purposes. Nobody here uses the terms – Mexican, black, Asian, Jewish, etc when referring to groups of people, right? Right.

When every American refers to every other American as American, and nothing else, then we can make that reciprocal demand.

American is my nationality. My ethnicity has certainly shaped my experience as an American. I choose to call myself American. But, I’m not going to judge someone’s love for their country by the labels that have often been foisted upon them.

The Race Card on September 3, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Thank you.

terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Wherever there is a border Fence, there is a country.

profitsbeard on September 3, 2007 at 1:58 PM

I can label myself whatever I want.
And I wouldn’t be the only person to use hyphen when
defining their ethnicity.
terryannonline on September 3, 2007 at 11:03 AM

what ethnicity is Mexican again??????
Mexico is a nationality not an ethnicity.

Mojack420 on September 3, 2007 at 2:12 PM

doriangrey on September 3, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I don’t get this. Today your calling this an invading army. Yesterday you are posting its a fine thing having all these mexican trucks crossing our border. Cheaper goods is all that matters. Nevermind if the American truckers can’t make it. We have cheaper goods. Thats how capitalism works you wrote. However, welcome back from the darkside, glad to have you back..Now we need to help Bradky.

Legions on September 3, 2007 at 3:22 PM

what ethnicity is Mexican again??????
Mexico is a nationality not an ethnicity.

Mojack420 on September 3, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Nationality refers to one’s country of citizenship. However ethnicity is a much more subjective term.

Many people define their ethnicity in relation to their country of birth, primary language, parent’s country of birth, nationality, religion, race, geographic origin, etc. Many ethnic categories have developed and changed over time.

Ethnicity is a flexible category. Nationality is not.

Take a look at the this list and you will note references to a broad range of ethnicities. According to this list: Italians are an ethnicity, but Mexicans are not listed as one. Blacks are listed as an ethnicity but Jamaicans are not. Japanese are an ethnicity but the Swiss are not.

These classifications are not rigid. Many people define themselves differently. Ask anybody about their ethnicity and you are bound to get dizzying array of answers.

A lot of us on the right get a little snarky on the whole racial/ethnic discussion. I do believe that the conservative approach to race/ethnicity is sound: Don’t discriminate unfairly and follow the constitution.

Problem is that many conservatives do not exhibit the moral ideals we urge the rest of America to embrace.

The Race Card on September 3, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Legions on September 3, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Doriangrey had me a little confused too. Sure the Teamsters should have been more proactive over the past decade. But I can’t understand wanting to see what’s left of our border obliterated by an onslaught of Mexican truckers.

Make no mistake. 12-20 million people is an invasion.

The Race Card on September 3, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Legions on September 3, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I apologize for confusing you. I thought I was being much more clear. I dont have any problem with people coming here legally to work, and then going home. I dont have any problem with Mexican truckers being allowed to drive here as long as there is full reciprocity. I do have a problem with people coming here illegally and breaking our laws. I do have a problem with Mexican truckers having an unfair advantage, but I’m not going to pity the American trucking industry if they allow that to happen.

Does that clear things up at all?

doriangrey on September 3, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Well then, Calderon, I guess you won’t mind the Guatemalan government energetically protesting the gross mistreatment and killing of undocumented Guatemalans crossing the border into Mexico.

BacaDog on September 3, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Indeed they do. AP has described himself as an Italian, with American being assumed by the reader. As I recall, no one told him to go back to Italy.

However, none of these are commonly seen as politically-loaded terms, unlike Mexican-American and, to a lesser degree, African-American. Sometimes these two terms imply divided loyalties, depending on the user of the terms. Other times, the terms are merely descriptive and I think that terryonline’s usage fall under the latter category. Good faith and all that.

(Personally, I don’t refer to myself or other black Americans as African-Americans–though, with my biological father being Kenyan, it might be understandable.

One day I was listening to a speech given by one of the Tuskegee Airman. Topically, he referred to African-descended Americans. I liked the term and use it when needed. It’s a better description that ‘African-American.’)

baldilocks on September 3, 2007 at 5:01 PM

correction: terryannonline

baldilocks on September 3, 2007 at 5:02 PM

“Wherever there is a Mexican, that is Mexico”

Does that mean I now need to flash my own passport whenever I am visiting any local fast food franchise?

pilamaye on September 3, 2007 at 5:34 PM

People who were born here and choose to hyphenate kind of remind me of people with personalized license plates. Notice me notice me notice me! Whatever I guess, but it says something about your view of the greatest nation on earth…

JWS on September 3, 2007 at 5:54 PM

doriangrey on September 3, 2007 at 3:59 PM

doriangrey, Thanks. I’m more disappointed than angry when I see posts on HA, that are going to make any Americans life harder, than it already is. We as consumers will never see the so called cheaper goods in the stores. As I said those profits will all be divided up between the corperates. Its really not the truckers fault either. Like the bigolddog posted yesterday (about 20 times), if the truckers shut down for even a few days their gone, bankrupt. I’m in the transportation industry I know and it concerns me alot. Sorry if I jumped on your comments and I also had a person once jump on something I had wrote and I also retracted and lightened up on it ( why because I seen his side to it and sometimes you start writing without slowing down to think things out)..Have a nice Labor Day.

Legions on September 3, 2007 at 6:04 PM

But Mexico’s southern border ends there, according to Mexico’s own immigration laws.

ctmom on September 3, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Calderon body slams the tired “they’re just good people wanting to make a living” argument – they’re Mexican loyalists illegally Mexicanising America. What’s the difference between these folks and spies?

T J Green on September 3, 2007 at 8:14 PM

I don’t have a link, but don’t I recall His Highness Chertoff insisting some time in the last month or so that there were no cases of any terrorists coming across the border? C’mon….

bikermailman on September 3, 2007 at 9:52 PM

I wish selma hayek would invade my neighborhood

tlynch001 on September 3, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Suggestions:

Entelechy

Amen

I keep thinking of a phrase from Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address:

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure A. Lincoln

A nation without enforced border law is a nation without borders.

A borderless nation that does not prevent aliens from voting is owned by whoever chooses to take it.

How long can America endure if it becomes de facto a Nation without Borders?

Lincoln in his second Innaugural address stated

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

The criminals in Washington do not believe that we, the citizens own this nation. They have told We the Peons of the United States that we must grant citizenship to every illegal that the Wahington criminals have illegally allowed to enter our country, as a reward for picking lettuce and stealing the jobs of skilled tradesmen.

I want to send the entire lot back over the border now. I do not care if the crops rot. I want to send Bush, and his crooked cronies in Congress to live in Mexico now. Where they lay their heads it is the Globalist Nation anyway.

This is my country and you cannot take it from me. It does not belong to Congress, the Senate, the White House, and the business community to parcel off as they please, laws be damned.

entagor on September 4, 2007 at 12:56 AM

Mexico is a country which is rife with corruption, violence, and poverty. This may be a reason so many “Mexicans” flee to the United States of America, violating our laws, disrespecting our sovereignty, and invading land illegally, then demanding of us as if we owe them, when we owe them absolutely nothing!

So, if it is true that, wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico, then if there are Mexicans in India, China, Korea, Japan, Argentina, Belize, Cuba, Honduras, Republica de Dominica, Canada, Australia, and so on, around the world, then all those countries must be Mexico.

Also, since it is an established fact that Mexico is a violent, poverty stricken country due to the corruption of government officials and others, then it follows that wherever there is Mexico, meaning, wherever there is a Mexican, thus making that country Mexico, then all other countries in which a Mexican breathes air, walks, eats. etc., is also a corrupt, violent nation.

Since many nations are actually successful bastions of freedom, prosperity, and not entirely corrupt, such as the US, Australia, Great Britain, Japan, and others, then it is a the claim “Wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico” is a false statement.

Who will rule the United States first? Mexico and Mexicans, or Islamic Jihadists?

William

William2006 on September 4, 2007 at 3:26 AM

the law of unintentional consequences.

the ruling elite after the cold war decided that Nationalism was bad (new world order). Worldwide Free trade was born. No longer was Nationalism the creed but now it was the pursuit of material goods. Nafta was born, the WTO was given more power to control trade. Jobs were lost in the US the US lost economic power. China was admitted to the WTO. Religion in the West was supplanted by the new world order. Vacuums were opened up in individuals that had not previously been seen. Islam grew to fill one vacuum, Radical Islam grew from Islam since Islam preaches radicalism. The WOT was born. 1st unintended consequence.

The decrease in Washington’s and the West’s view of Nationalism opened our borders to massive immigration. This immigration was from those of other countries that had not renounced nationalism but sought a better life. Thus we have within the US and Europe large populations that are not required to assimilate to the US or western Europe’s culture and look upon their new homeland has evil another vacuum filled. 2nd unintended consequence.

The increase in this mass immigration that flaunts our laws and our history cause the nation to look inward and renounce the free trade/new world order and increase the Nationalism view of the vast majority of US. Setting the stage for a leader like Hitler to rise up in the next 10 to 20 years and play on our anger, hate, and fear of job loss, lack of security etc or a rebellion that causes wide spread damage. This will be a 3rd unintended consequence of the new world order.

This will bring the cycle full circle and give rise to what the “knowing elites” wanted to avoid in the first place. Add into this mix the economic rise of truly homogenous societies like China, Russia, and India and you have the makings of a world wide war being raged on a weakened West. The 4th and worse unintended consequence.

Nations evolved for a reason. That reason is because people have different views and wants than others in the world. People are different in their beliefs and views. Nations were a way of liked minded people to protect themselves from others that thought different than them. Nations have been racist but are not racist in and of themselves (this is the mistake that the elites have made). Without the protection of the Nation state any madman can and will seize control and plunge the entire world into chaos.

The pursuit of the dollar should not and can not supplant the founding documents of this country no matter how much our elites believe it should. People are not made that way and the survival instinct will not allow it to continue for much longer. We can either return to our core beliefs in freedom protected by a strong nation state not by words on paper or we can sit back and watch the world burn from our “elites” failure to understand human nature.

unseen on September 4, 2007 at 5:13 AM