Reid: Hey, maybe we don’t need a withdrawal deadline after all

posted at 5:55 pm on August 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m surprised. The hopeful reports about the surge over the past month or so must have him spooked him into thinking the Blue Dogs are going to cross the aisle if (or rather, when) Petraeus gives an upbeat assessment. That’s weird given the pushback of late from that NYT op-ed by the seven soldiers and the withering GAO report that was just leaked, not to mention the consensus that the Iraqi government is in total disarray. How total?

At one point, as [Reps.] Moran, Tauscher and Rep. Jon Porter (R-Nev.) were heading to lunch in the fortified Green Zone, an American urgently tried to get their attention, apparently to voice concerns about the war effort, the participants said. Security whisked the man away before he could make his point…

But even such tight control could not always filter out the bizarre world inside the barricades. At one point, the three were trying to discuss the state of Iraqi security forces with Iraq’s national security adviser, Mowaffak al-Rubaie, but the large, flat-panel television set facing the official proved to be a distraction. Rubaie was watching children’s cartoons.

When Moran asked him to turn it off, Rubaie protested with a laugh and said, “But this is my favorite television show,” Moran recalled.

Honest to god, my first thought when I read that was “pull out now.” He’s the same rat, you may remember, who spent the evening of Saddam’s execution calling in to U.S. cable TV networks to blow smoke up America’s ass about what a polished and professional operation it was. Then when the cell phone video came out proving it was basically a gangland hanging, he turned on a dime. The truth is, he’d only benefit from a pullout because his Shiite goons would fill the power vacuum and go on a rampage. Or rather, a bigger rampage than they’re already on.

Comments

That’s an interesting WaPo article to be sure. No question who the hero is though:

Reid’s friends see the wear on him. “I think he has agonized over this,” said Rep. Shelley Berkley (D-Nev.), who has known Reid since she was a teenager. “I can see it. It weighs on his shoulders. But he’s approaching this for all the right reasons, and I admire him for that.”

I am also surprised though. I fully expected an increase counter-push against the news of the surge with an emphasis on the lack of political progress. I didn’t expect Reid to give up an inch of his ‘we’ve lost and we need to leave tomorrow’ theme.

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Was it the Palestinian show with the rats?

In all seriousness though, I hope Petraeus knows something we don’t, because that cartoon thing is pretty unnerving.

Bad Candy on August 31, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Was it the Palestinian show with the rats?

Dude, Farfour was hilarious!! I miss him – warping children’s minds in a Mickey Mouse voice. Nahool the bee (Farfour’s cousin – don’t ask me how) is funny too until she too gets martyred by a Jew looking like Disco Stu (“Disco Jew”).

Probably the best part of Nahool is the fact that when she was “flying” into the set, you could see a guy in the control room. The production values – not good.

mjk on August 31, 2007 at 6:11 PM

This is very common in Iraq and should be thought of as a cultural issue, not a political one.

bnelson44 on August 31, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Allah,

You might get Bryan or Michelle to ask their contacts in Baghdad if they ever had a run in with Shieks watching Bollywood productions ;-)

bnelson44 on August 31, 2007 at 6:17 PM

I love anyone who will treat Jim Moran with the seriousness he deserves.

see-dubya on August 31, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I have $5.00 that says this guy never makes it to work with his lunch money intact.

400lb Gorilla on August 31, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Surely he’s not watching that infidel agent of American imperialism, Porky Pig.

Buy Danish on August 31, 2007 at 6:43 PM

There’s nothing left to say about the Dhimmis. They are unbelievably transparent and will say ANYTHING they think they have to say at any moment-hypocrasy? Who cares! And STILL 50% of our population is going to vote for one of these bottom feeders. Depressing…

JWS on August 31, 2007 at 6:45 PM

It’s starting to haapppen, the Democrat party is going to tear itself apart.

Time to put popcorn in the microwave, break out a sixpack, it’s gonna be fun.

Speakup on August 31, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Iraqi NSA watches cartoons during meeting. Really.

Well there are priorities, besides they’re the NSA, they either already know the presentation oor they wrote it.

Speakup on August 31, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Reid is a rat. This is a trick. Stay tuned…

AZCON on August 31, 2007 at 6:56 PM

I’m all about Nahoul the Bee. That dude rocks the Levant.

I personally believe that he’s a terrorist Bee with a wide stance, of course, but hey, I think Freddie the Frog and Henrietta Hippo were commie moles back in the day.

and dont even get me started on those freaky-deaks at H.R. Puff-n-Stuff. wtf was THAT all about? U.S. Americans STILL have nightmares about the damn talking flute.

Mike D. on August 31, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Don’t trust Reid, he’s up to something. He *does* want us out of Iraq, he’s just playin’ his cards … when his chips are down … or whatever that expression is. Anyway, forget BAGHDAD, when are we gonna withdrawl from BALTIMORE??? The murder rate is almost 300 so far this year. But the good news is that 90 percent of them are also criminals. Trash takin’ out the other trash.

Tony737 on August 31, 2007 at 7:16 PM

The cartoon thing is incredibly disrepectful. Somebody shoulda slapped him for that. Dare I say, slapped the Shiite out of him. Yes, I do dare.

CP on August 31, 2007 at 7:20 PM

CYA-mania!

Kini on August 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Forget whatever the heck Reid has to say. The man blathers uselessness with every breath he takes. We have yet to hear from (Big) Dick Durbin, who you know has to throw his 2 cents into this.

pilamaye on August 31, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Honest to god, my first thought when I read that was “pull out now.”

Me too. My second thought was “Who wouldn’t rather watch cartoons than meet with Jim Moran?”

Karl on August 31, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Please. This Iraqi guy should be getting a medal for treating these Democratic Congressman with the contempt they deserve. These are the same Dems who were pissed the soldiers got dossiers stating the Rep’s anti-war positions. They didn’t like being outed in front of the troops they were stabbing in the back when back home.

I say, cheers to the Iraqi dude.

Stormy70 on August 31, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Stormy70 on August 31, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Heh.

proving it was basically a gangland hanging,

So what? Saddam deserved it. Especially after what he did to countless of his own people. Remember the dead mother and infant he had gassed? That is the point Rubaie should have made then.

As far as them watching cartoons, I guess they are just as childish as our own officials.

boomer on August 31, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Rubaie was watching children’s cartoons.

Mojack420 on August 31, 2007 at 11:00 PM

This was never about the war in Iraq, it was all about being against Bush. As the DEMs are starting to see Hillary in the WH they have to “find” reasons to not be so anti war. The sad fact is that had the DEMs actually supported the war years ago instead of making it into a political game fewer soldiers would be dead and wounded and AQ wouldn’t have gained such a foothold in Iraq. It’s good to remember that all that CIA WMD intel came from Clinton’s very own CIA director and that most DEMs voted for the war before they decided they were against it.

Buzzy on August 31, 2007 at 11:52 PM

I’m not confident at all that the TV incident really took place as described. There are many perfectly innocuous ways in which something somewhat like the incident may have occurred, and then have been too-good-to-checked into the illustration of Iraqi un-seriousness and disrespect.

CK MacLeod on September 1, 2007 at 1:39 AM

Jeez Allah,

I think the answer’s pretty simple. Reid has realized that if his party’s wrong on this issue, the Dems are facing RATTERDAMMERUNG.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on September 1, 2007 at 2:03 AM

Reid has nothing to bring to the table except more treason. NO matter what he says, he still intends to surrender the United States to Al Qaeda in the middle east.

georgej on September 1, 2007 at 2:17 AM

I see that the Dems are afraid of Move America Forward. The Dems want a “Love In” in front of Reids office in Nevada to counter Move America Forward.

BobK on September 1, 2007 at 4:54 AM

Rubaie was watching children’s cartoons

Some choice… watch cartoons or listen to clowns.

Texas Nick 77 on September 1, 2007 at 8:07 AM

So… where’s the nutrootsian “pull out now” implosion that surely would have happened if their great leader stopped calling for withdrawl now?

BKennedy on September 1, 2007 at 10:38 AM