ABA Journal ponders horrifying Al Qaeda nightmare scenario

posted at 8:20 pm on August 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

You won’t sleep tonight.

Comments

most of the people on that are conservatives

its the life of a criminal defense attorney taken to the absolute end of the line. And I say that as hopefully a future criminal attorney

Defector01 on August 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Like he’d reach US soil. I’ll sleep just fine tonight.

PatrickS on August 31, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Laden would prefer that the trial become a forum to denounce the very system that is bringing him to trial. “It seems certain to me that bin Laden would use his trial to inspire his supporters. And as his lawyer, if you are going to represent your client, then that is the avenue you have to pursue,” Kuby adds.

Lawyers who act that way in cases like that should be disbarred. The purpose of the right to trial to defend yourself, not to use it to further a cause. He would just be abusing the court and so should be found in contempt of court.

pedestrian on August 31, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Yeah.

PBoilermaker on August 31, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I clicked on the link thinking, dramatic byline and all, this was about some new terrorist plot, only to find out that it’s about a lower form of life, albeit not as exciting, criminal defence lawyers. Why would I not sleep?

jihadwatcher on August 31, 2007 at 8:46 PM

heh … like he would make it to US soil.

AZ_Redneck on August 31, 2007 at 8:49 PM

“I’m afraid he tried to escape. We had no choice…” or Gitmo. Either way, it’s fiction their writing.

Ordinary1 on August 31, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Rove Resigns, Tony Snow resigns, increased activity in Afghanistan, Reid turns pro-war, and now this. I think we finally have him. It just hasn’t been announced yet because it takes time to interrogate.

AZCON on August 31, 2007 at 8:58 PM

I want to punch Roy Blank and Michael Tigar in the face. I don’t feel that emotion too often.

BadgerHawk on August 31, 2007 at 9:00 PM

AZCON on August 31, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Interesting. I too, have thought that there have been certain signs of a capture lately. I’m not convinced, but there have been certain shifts in discussions, various themes and narratives that have been switched ever so slightly, enough so that one could begin to think, “do we have him?” We will see.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2007 at 9:10 PM

I’m just astonished by the mild responses so far. I presume everyone is stunned by how insane and evil Kuby is. We are unable to articulate the magnitude of our disgust. I suppose my own tendency is towards moderation and not jeremiads, but Kuby deserves our venom more than anyone. I ask for more vehemence–even more hatred. There are those times when hatred is appropriate, and Kuby’s ideology deserves hatred. Kuby says he would be willing to help enemies destroy everything decent about our country, about our culture. He feels it is his duty as a lawyer. & then he says if Bin Laden tried to save his own neck by helping destroy terrorists networks, he wouldn’t help Bin Laden. There is nothing in the ethics of our legal system that supports such a stance.

Someway, I’m failing to convey the anger should be conveyed. Maybe it’s because I have a cold. Please pay attention to what Kuby said and not waste your posts here on idle thoughts about Bin Laden.

thuja on August 31, 2007 at 9:11 PM

First I would prove Isl*m is a religion.
Then I would prove bin Laden is a M*slim.
Then I would read from the Kor*n to the Jury to show that it requires believers to kill non-believers.
Then I would argue the Osama was just being a good M*slim, like all the other Musl*ms.
Then I would agrue that Osama has the right to practice his religion just like any one else (emphasising that there are more M*slims than Christians, Jews, Buddists, Mormons, or Catholics).
Then I would ask for the death penaly.

AZCON on August 31, 2007 at 9:39 PM

The only way he’d reach US soil, is in a body bag.

amerpundit on August 31, 2007 at 9:52 PM

And his lawyer won’t be able to hide forever.

Jaibones on August 31, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Evil doesn’t only reside in AlQeada.
Greta?
I’ll sleep fine.

shooter on August 31, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Hey, where is Jeffrey Fieger’s story of how he would defend the poor, misunderstood fella?

AZCON on August 31, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Hmmmmmm. Maybe this explains why Karl Rove is so confident that Bush’s legacy will be a good one.

Buy Danish on August 31, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Osama, if he isn’t already fertilizing a handsome poppy plot in Waziristan, will be shot so many times upon attempted capture that only his face, for ID purposes, will be left intact.

Sweet dreams.

profitsbeard on August 31, 2007 at 10:42 PM

I’ll sleep just fine.

He’s dead.

Asher on August 31, 2007 at 10:50 PM

“Osama bin Laden is like the Manchurian candidate or Jason Bourne. He is a product of CIA indoctrination. They used him during the Soviet invasion of Afghan­istan. They trained him and turned him into a killer and incited the religious fervor in him to make him think that any power invading any land in the Middle East is invading the Muslims and has to be killed,”

I wonder what color is the sky is in Mr. Black’s world.

Mike Honcho on August 31, 2007 at 10:54 PM

And that is why I quit the ABA.

Pongo on August 31, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Is this just another Shakespearean excuse for;
Kill All The Laywers

Kini on August 31, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Mike Honcho-

I wonder what color is the sky in Mr. Black’s world.

It’s green.

He doesn’t believe what he’s saying.

He’s a lawyer.

He’s spinning whatever the theoretical sucker jury would buy.

Luckily, no one who is trying to capture Osama is ever going to let this case get anywhere near a Detroit Federal Court.

Lock and load.

Nolo Contendere.

profitsbeard on August 31, 2007 at 11:23 PM

We can only hope to bury you in secrecy
so your grave is not violated.

BDavis on August 31, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Sickening. Defense lawyer ethics are something to behold. Even Dershowitz seemed pulled by the notion that he might be able to find an obligation to represent this guy and do him favors. I’m in awe, but not in a good way.

Splunge on September 1, 2007 at 12:00 AM

Reminds me of the old joke,

Q: what is the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?

A: One is a slime sucking bottom feeder, the other is a fish.”

Texas Nick 77 on September 1, 2007 at 1:54 AM

Summary execution in the field, videotaped and photographed.

No trial required.

And a secret burial or cremation so his followers can’t venerate his body.

georgej on September 1, 2007 at 2:38 AM

But there is perhaps one way bin Laden might be able to save his life: Turn government witness. Kuby says it is not as far-fetched as it might seem. “One thing we’ve learned from this government is that there is no one too evil to make a deal with. There is no person whose crimes are so great that we are not willing to sit down and convince him to join Team America if we think there is a payoff.

“Presumably bin Laden would be in a position to reveal information that would be vital to the dismantling of terrorism networks around the world and save tens of thousands of innocent lives,” Kuby continues. “He is not the cook for the Taliban. Like all big crooks, he has things to deal.” That strategy also would be a deal breaker for Kuby. “As a rule I don’t represent cooperating defendants, and I’d excuse myself.

I won’t question his patriotism.

I do, however, question his humanity.

Sean M. on September 1, 2007 at 4:52 AM

Two laugh-out-loud moments for me:

1. “To defend bin Laden, Dershowitz says his first order of business would be explaining to his client that he is going to lose.” Don’t know why, but this just strikes me as funny.

2. “Black says he would need a team of lawyers and investigators with significant resources to travel the world for bin Laden’s defense. ‘You have to hire someone who would go up into the mountains and find wit­nesses because I would not be going.’” It’s a wise man who knows his limits.

Lurking Vet on September 1, 2007 at 6:52 AM

The ultimate irony is all of this is that if bin laden ever was brought before a jury, he’d retain himself a good Jewish lawyer.

jihadwatcher on September 1, 2007 at 7:54 AM

The only defense he’d have is the body armor he hopes he’ll have on at time of capture…

JWS on September 1, 2007 at 9:20 AM

There are no lawyers when we stand before the King of Kings to give an account.

Mojave Mark on September 1, 2007 at 10:12 AM

And a secret burial or cremation so his followers can’t venerate his body.

You know what the saddest thing is about this… we wouldn’t cremate him out of “sensitivity” to muslim sensibilities towards cremation.

hindmost on September 1, 2007 at 10:46 AM

“Turn government witness.”

If he did that, he’d be lying out of his &ss the whole time. Any intel we get from him would be misdirection.

Read “Inside the Jihad.” Written by a Morrocan guy working for the French Secret Service. He went to Afghanistan and trained with al qaeda in their camps. Along with how to shoot guns, build bombs and fight wearing sandels, he also learned how to misdirect interrogators. Very interesting read if you want to know our enemy.

Tony737 on September 1, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Hrmmm, isn’t this what the democrats want, treat all terrorism as ‘normal’ crimes?

Everyone there would also assume that he’d actually make it to his trial

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on September 1, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Kuby co-hosts the morning show on WABC in New York, and his commentary frequently drips with this kind of venom, all softly sold through a smile and a sense of humor. The man’s disgusting.

Kensington on September 1, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Kuby sez:

On Defending Bin Laden:

“But if I were requested by a defendant and felt that this was a job that I could do better than most, I would feel an ethical obligation and put aside my personal concerns and go forward.”

On Defending Bin Laden if He Turns Government Witness:

“Presumably bin Laden would be in a position to reveal information that would be vital to the dismantling of terrorism networks around the world and save tens of thousands of innocent lives…[but] As a rule I don’t represent cooperating defendants, and I’d excuse myself.”

But, but…what if the defendant “requested” that you do it and you were the best around?

I think he’s talking right out of his Craig. Don’t know his politics but he talks like a far lefty. Defend Bin Laden? Sure. Defend him if he’s willing to give info that saves thousands of innocent lives? Nope, no can do.

inviolet on September 1, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Kuby’s just plain evil. Probably doesn’t even know he’s evil, he’s just twisted his “sense of legal duty” so far that his conscience is no longer capable of pointing in the correct direction.

He is the very model of Sayet’s “Modern Liberal” who has rejected not only the principle of judgement, but any possible results of correct judegement, leading him to take the wrong side in every possible situation.

The fact that he would not defend a terrorist who wanted to help stop terror should make that crystal clear.

Merovign on September 1, 2007 at 12:51 PM

If they have caught him, I hope they’ve called a pair of hard pipe-hittin interrogators with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

He may be able to misdirect under waterboarding, but I doubt he’d maintain his composure without his fingernails.

I can see one of the operatives telling him now, “In order to be a martyr, you have to actually die. Suffering while we keep you alive doesn’t count. And we are very, very good at keeping people alive.”

unamused on September 1, 2007 at 1:09 PM

I left this comment for the article (using my real name.. but don’t tell anyone, it was an accident)

Treason anyone?

Now onto the other fool

““It’s not my case. It is his. I’d really need to un­derstand everything about the social, psychological and historical context in which he grew up and acted,” Tigar says.

“Here we have a man who, from a very early age, had anger against what he regarded as the colonial oc­cupiers” of his homeland, he says. “It’s the concept of umma, the Muslim community of believers. The concept that the U.S. occupied these territories made a number of people very angry.”

Notice the ommision of the study of Laden’s religion? So now that we established Tigar is a Marxist.

Can someone say “dhimmitude”?

It’s bad enough Islamic doctrine states that Non-Muslims are living in the House of War and that the duty of all Muslims is to achieve the submission of the entire world to the House of Islam, it’s worse when we have lawyers in this country who are willing to believe the pretexts that the jihadis gin up to keep their side angry and willing to kill us.

Perhaps you ignorant lawyers should a book “The Al Qaeda Reader” which translates the thinking of Bin Laden, Zarawiri , et al into English and realize they actually believe in their religion.. not your idiotic 1968 worldview.

VinceP1974 on September 1, 2007 at 2:59 PM