Video: New ads — McCain vs. Romney

posted at 11:49 am on August 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Poor Mitt. I dig this new spot — it’s goofy and different, and when it comes to campaign ads, like Bill Murray said in Groundhog Day, anything different is good — but it’s bound to be overshadowed by J-Mac’s 12-minute epic about his stay in the Hanoi Hilton. Mitt’s ad actually works in McCain’s favor when the two are juxtaposed: it shows Romney doing something that McCain no longer can because of his sacrifice, a contrast St. John’s camp has been quick to play up this morning.

I wonder if he always planned to roll this out or if he’s been forced to play his biggest card now because his campaign’s in trouble and he desperately needs to boost his image among Republicans. This’ll do it, the stomach-churning bit of narration early on about his famed maverickness notwithstanding. It was smart of him to feature his mother so prominently, too — she’s in her 90s but looks and acts 15 years younger, which should help him with the worries about his age.

Can a purebred amnesty shill also be an unqualified American hero? Sure can. Does that mean he’s going to be nominated? All signs point to no.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is there anyone on this site who:
got divorced
lost a spouse or child
lost their home
went bankrupt
got cancer
has a disease
was abused
was raped
is addicted
in pain
is lonely
is dying faster than the rest of us?

Yeah, I know. You don’t want to talk about it.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 11:59 AM

I have to say that Romney ad is fantastic.

Verbal Abuse on August 30, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, I know. You don’t want to talk about it.

Huh? How is that related to this thread?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Yeah, I know. You don’t want to talk about it.

Huh? How is that related to this thread?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Thanks AP. Now I know it’s not just me.

Kowboy on August 30, 2007 at 12:09 PM

I gotta say…even though I think McCain is a dreadful excuse for a politician, and even worse choice for prez…and plays his ‘POW veteran card’ ad nauseum…his vid here is impressive.

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I admit that I haven’t watched the second ad yet so you could be right, but I thought that was a fantastic Romney ad.

John McCain made a great sacrifice for his country, but no one including him would say that everyone should suffer torture and injuries.

Although, yes, I respect McCain for going through that and then continuing to serve his country as an elected politician for many years.

The Romney ad was memorable, showcased his physical prowess, and this is a good not a bad thing in a leader. One of the things I like about Bush, for example, is he’s physically fit and disciplined.

Romney is that plus accomplished in business (very much so as the ad makes clear).

The ad was a total winner. I can’t see how this could hurt Romney.

As I make the point clear in a previous thread for those with the intelligence to see it, I consider Mitt very competent and a serious contender. Or he should be if he’s judged solely on the job he can do.

Now I’ll watch the McCain ad, but how many people are gonna see a 12-minute ad compared to Mitt’s spot???

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:11 PM

How is that related to this thread?

We know what happened to him. Why is he telling us? Sympathy vote?

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Huh? How is that related to this thread?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM

No clue. Regarding McCain, I thoroughly respect the sacrifice he made. I always will. But that doesn’t mean I’ll vote him President. As you said:

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 12:14 PM

…showcased his physical prowess…

I found that about as interesting and relevant as watching a monkey smoke a cigarette.

Horses for courses I guess *shrug*

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 12:14 PM

That was the best vid for a candidate that I have seen.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 12:13 PM

you are an idiot

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Huh? How is that related to this thread?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Yeah I agree…What?

The McCain ad is very impressive, and it might cool down the rhetoric against him because its a reminder of the hell he went through in the Hanoi Hilton in the name of American principles.

That said, its not gonna help his actual support numbers though. His flagrant dismissal and backstabbing of conservatives time and time again is too damaging to his presidential campaign, and maybe his political career. Amnesty was the final straw, and his presidential campaign isn’t going to recover.

Bad Candy on August 30, 2007 at 12:19 PM

What gets really nauseating about St. John is the implication that we need to constantly pay homage to a guy that admittedly made a great sacrifice.

As I told a Vietnam vet friend one time, just because you made a great sacrifice in service for our country doesn’t mean you get to expect or deserve anymore sympathy than the rest of us.

The nobleness of self sacrifice doesn’t end with a war, it ends when we die.

The moment you begin to “expect” sympathy you look pathetic.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM

McCain’s mini-doc got me choked up.

Vincenzo on August 30, 2007 at 12:21 PM

you are an idiot

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Don’t like it, don’t read it. Screw you.

You know, sometimes the pain I’m in is so bad I can’t get out of bed or walk. Wanna vote for me?

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM

You’re heartless.

Vincenzo on August 30, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I have never got the impression that John McCain “expects” anything.

Maybe you should gain some respect.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:22 PM

McCain ad = yawn.

Totally true that when he was 31 he went through a tough time.

Totally true that it reminds me of his sacrifice.

Totally true that it’s 12-minutes long.

Totally true that people don’t want “sacrifice” in a leader, they want power, charisma, wisdom, accomplishment, good looks, and proven ability to get things done.

Mitt has these. So does McCain to a degree. But Mitt hasn’t made a total career out of screwing his base particularly and inexplicably recently.

Okay, I can explain it. McCain really believes in open borders so therefore…

But that doesn’t help him.

He’s flagging. He won’t win. It’s Guiliani and whoever.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

I don’t get people (some who are commenting here). People sacrifice life and limb for them and this country and in return, they get bashed.

Nice going.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

McCain’s ad is the best I’ve ever seen. He really knows how to emphasize his strengths. The guy is truly a hero.

Too bad about open borders. I can’t vote for him.

jaime on August 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

You’re heartless.
Vincenzo on August 30, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Maybe you should gain some respect.
Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:22 PM

I do respect McCain.

There is a huge difference between respect and sympathy.

“Using” people’s sympathies to gain homage is pathetic.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

First of all, great video. And the Mitt ad is ok. It’s at least better than the ocean-vote for Peggy Noonan ad. Which admitted isn’t saying much.

McCain is a hero. I like and respect the man. And I think he is probably the best of the current choices to lead as Commander-in-Chief.

However, he is not representative of my views, and the views of the majority of Americans if the polls are to be believed, in regard to border security and rule of law. Much as I like him, for me to vote for him is to cut off one arm in support of the other.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Horses for courses I guess *shrug*

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Female. Voters.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:28 PM

“Using” people’s sympathies to gain homage is pathetic.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Bingo

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 12:28 PM

McCain is a hero. I will never vote for him to be President of the United States. Never. He cannot seem to grasp the damage he is doing to the country now with his support for open borders and Amnesty. I’m unwilling to vote for anyone who completely refuses to enforce the laws that the American people who elected him want to be enforced. You may be a hero John McCain but you will never be my King.

Zetterson on August 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Ugh! It’s 12-minutes long. Who the hell’s gonna see it?

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Nice going.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Yeah, sacrifice is nice and all, but what we really want is a candidate who’ll pledge to chase the Mexicans away and keep the gays from marrying.

;)

Big S on August 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Some of you guys aren’t wired right. Look, McCain feels that his ordeal and how he handled it make up a good bit of his character, and character is a valid issue to focus on when you’re running for President. I don’t know why some of you aren’t showing him the respect he deserves for his service. Its one thing to disagree with him, but to dismiss his service is just horrid.

Bad Candy on August 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Haha. Let me guess, you don’t read biographies or autobiographies because they cast their subjects in a too sympathetic light.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Just because he has this ad doesn’t make it sympathetic, especially considering the numerous other ads he has just like this… oh wait, he doesn’t. If he did this daily like John Edwards, you’d have a point, but he doesn’t, so you don’t.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

I don’t plan on voting for McCain, I am for Romney. I will complain about McCain’s amnesty views just as much as anyone, but I won’t complain about this ad.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM

I know I could run Mitt into the ground and I’ve done pretty well for myself but how the hell does that me better at making policy decisions for the country?
But Allahpundit is right, those two ads show a stark contrast between the character of those two men but again doesn’t really mean that much when it comes to national policy decisions.

lowandslow on August 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM

I’ve got huge sympathy for McCain and I’m very grateful for his service to this country, as well as for all the other servicemen and women. That doesn’t mean he’s the right guy for this particular position though.

So what was Mitt’s position on campaign finance “reform”? He should be mopping the floors with Fred’s? and John’s scalps with that.

pedestrian on August 30, 2007 at 12:33 PM

just because he has this ad doesn’t make it sympathetic, especially considering the numerous other ads he has just like this… oh wait, he doesn’t.

This backs AP’s point:
“…he’s been forced to play his biggest card now because his campaign’s in trouble and he desperately needs to boost his image among Republicans.”

Other than for his sinking ship, he wouldn’t have done this.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I have never got the impression that John McCain “expects” anything.

Let’s count the ways:

- gang of fourteen... translation – I’m the the best.

- McCain/Feingold… translation – I know best.

- Amnesty debacle, “I know more about this effing Bill than you do”… translation – Screw you dim wits.

I respect the guy for his determination and service, but I have no more sympathy for him then the next person that served.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM

I know I don’t want to talk about it.

McCain really is a great man…I don’t agree with his stance on a few things—like immigration, of course. But does a President have that much influence over the enforcement of the immigration laws anyway?

jdpaz on August 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM

I think you make a very valid arguement.

Note the sarcasm.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

No one’s dismissing his service, but being shot down and imprisoned for years is not qualification for the Presidency.

It may build and in his case has built character.

But it’s what he’s done and fought for and accomplished since being 31 that, just like all the other candidates, most determines his competence for the office.

And while he could do the job, and maybe should, it simply isn’t enough.

Lately he’s p’d off his supporters. He’s done this more than once. At the worst possible time.

So he’s not gonna be president.

He, possibly as a result of his ordeal, has a problem with his temper. I think it lends itself to him making bad political decisions out of excessive stubbornness.

In any event, that’s my main problem with him.

I respect his service. But what he had little had little choice in doing because he was actually a prisoner doesn’t cut it in 2007.

Or do we start looking for people who suffered the most and make them leaders?

That’s not a recipe for success.

It’s finding people who accomplish the most.

THERE is where McCain has a record and should focus. Everyone knows he’s a war hero.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

but I have no more sympathy for him then the next person that served.

Boy I do. There are miles between him and John Kerry.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

He sure as hell does, if he wants to.

lowandslow on August 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

The ONLY problem I have with Mitt (and Rudy for that matter), is that being in the lead has him (them) playing it safe.

Way down candidates like Hunter (who I just love) have to put it all out there. Check out the Perot-like videos on his site. I would like to see some of that from Romney, so we can be done with it already.

In your face about the borders. In your face about the economy. In your face about the WOT. In your face about Health care. Etc.

Then we can get on to the cheer leading, and down to the business of wacking the democrats.

Agrippa2k on August 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Female. Voters.

lol I guess so. Suffragists must be spinning in their graves…

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Gotta rock the little man in the boat, man.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:43 PM

What I liked best about the McCain piece was his gratitude at the end. “I am the most fortunate person I know”. What an admirable quality.

RushBaby on August 30, 2007 at 12:44 PM

jdpaz on August 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

It’s the President’s job to enforce the laws. If he doesn’t do it, there’s no one else.

jaime on August 30, 2007 at 12:44 PM

True. But this was a great ad.

Mitt should use it to break out and to do that, he’s gotta put an edge on himself.

Less smooth, more cutting. Everyone knows he’s a loving, decent family man yada yada.

That’s great.

Now he’s gotta show the toughness he showed at Staples (which admittedly is more of a cooperative enterprise as is most capitalism) and fight.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Boy I do. There are miles between him and John Kerry.
Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

but I have no more sympathy for him then the next person that served equally.
There fixed that for you.

John Kerry didn’t really serve did he? He got his purple hearts fraudulently or through coercion. And then he decried the war afterwards.. so that makes John Kerry a traitor not a hero, like McCain.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Let’s count the ways:

- gang of fourteen… translation – I’m the the best.

Judges got confirmed, no? And a precedent wasn’t set to remove the filibuster. That could come in handy as the (R) party is the minority party in the Senate for the forseeable future.

- McCain/Feingold… translation – I know best.

Not done right, but something had to be done. See the other posts on Hillary, Hsu, and that other guy for a quick lesson. IIRC, the Clinton/China scandal was a major driving force behind campaign finance reform.

He was probably right, since few took the time to actually read it. Also, it was not an “amnesty” bill, but a comprehensive solution with a lot of different components. As with the Campaign finance reform bill, it was not even close to perfect, but it was a lot better than it could have been. Here’s hoping that the Democrats don’t get a supermajority in the Senate after the ’08 election, allowing them to push through a real amnesty bill.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Big S on August 30, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:45 PM

You really are dumb. I offer you my condolences.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:48 PM

My head can only take so much nonsense.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

If McCain plays the juxtaposition card (can’t run anymore because of his sacrifice) that is the same as playing the victim card. McCain hasn’t done it yet and may not do it so I’m not judging him on that. But we need a president who is both selfless about his positive actions and responsible for his negative. Their supporters will tell us about the great things they have done, I want to hear what they will do as president.

peacenprosperity on August 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

He was probably right, since few took the time to actually read it. Also, it was not an “amnesty” bill, but a comprehensive solution with a lot of different components. As with the Campaign finance reform bill, it was not even close to perfect, but it was a lot better than it could have been. Here’s hoping that the Democrats don’t get a supermajority in the Senate after the ‘08 election, allowing them to push through a real amnesty bill.

So that’s what congress is all about, preemptive shitty legislation?

lowandslow on August 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

jaime on August 30, 2007 at 12:44 PM

…and others

I was publik skooled…

I suppose his cabinet/agency appointments could have a profound effect.

jdpaz on August 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Ok. I’ve come up with one good reason that could possibly make me change my mind and vote for John McCain. The only reason I could imagine is if Silky Pony happens to perform a miracle and win the Dem primary.

A John McCain vs Silky pony commercial war might just be the most hilarious contrast in the history of political campaigns.

I can see it now. John McCain’s commercial talks briefly about how his plane went down and and the villagers started chewing on the skin that was hanging from his open wounds. He nursed himself back to health with nothing more then the aid of sticks and rocks and now today one arm is considerably longer then the other.

And then Silky’s commercial comes on. He says something about poor people and then talks about how much he loves his fancy new blowdryer. Its such a wonderful blowdryer that he no longer has to get his coife perked at the Pink Saphire. Its fabulous!

Yeah, that would be the only reason I could forsee myself putting a check next to John McCain’s name on election day.

Zetterson on August 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I suppose his cabinet/agency appointments could have a profound effect.
jdpaz on August 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM

The president sets policy. If he says “enforce”, then they’re enforced. If not, then they aren’t.

A cabinet member is either competent or not in carrying out the president’s policies.

jaime on August 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

So that’s what congress is all about, preemptive shitty legislation?

lowandslow on August 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

In many cases, yes. What part of “minority party” is so difficult to understand?

Big S on August 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

You really are dumb. I offer you my condolences.
Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I am really set in my ways, just like you.

Have a nice weekend.

Note the sarcasm.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

That was the proverbial straw…McCain should never be allowed anywhere near the WH, and Arizonans should grow a pair and fire the assclown

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 12:59 PM

and then Silky’s commercial comes on. He says something about poor people and then talks about how much he loves his fancy new blowdryer.

I think you seriously underestimate Edwards. Didn’t his wife’s originally incurable cancer later metasticize into a chronic, lifetime condition?

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Female. Voters.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Seriously? He runs like a girl. Hot.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Seriously? He runs like a girl.

Mwahahahahaha. He really does.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM

then the next person that served equally.

And how do you judge ‘equally’? By observing their actions. Thus history is relevant.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Mwahahahahaha. He really does.

I’d like to see you outdo him. Seriously, I would.

He’s a good runner and runs with a minimum of effort.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM

McCain’s the best choice where the war’s concerned, and this ad does a fantastic job of making that clear. NONE of the other front runners even has military experience, much less of the caliber of McCain’s service and sacrifice.

I really, really wish he were a conservative. The others who have said it are right. He’s a hero, but I can’t vote for him.

(BTW, his mom’s really impressive! I’d never in a million years guess she’s in her 90s.)

aero on August 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Mitt would do himself a much bigger service if he did an ad on an Army of Darkness.

Vincenzo on August 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM

correction: Army of Darkness set. You know, the movie set. Army of Darkness

Vincenzo on August 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

He runs like a girl.

That’s what I don’t like about the ad. Swings his arms in more than one plane – experienced runners don’t usually do that, they are more concise and efficient in their body motion. Makes the ad look artificial and contrived to me.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Tanya, I’m not saying all women will find him hot.

But if they see him as virile and physically capable, that always helps.

It’s an evolutionary thing. It’s subconscious. Most would find other reasons consciously for their decision, but it’s B.S.

There’s a reason almost all presidents are tall, for example, instinct and genetics.

Sadly, this is one of a long list of things pointing to the likelihood of A.P. being right about evolution.

Yet I still hold to a spiritual component if for no other reason than I want to.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Mitt’s ad was good, even though he runs funny; McCain’s story is always fascinating and inspiring. Good for both of them.

The comments thread is interesting – and ugly. As ugly I’ve seen here. When did we start calling each other names around here?

I can see both sides of your argument clearly. I wonder why some of you can’t see the other guy’s side in this? They’re both obviously valid.

Of course McCain is a true hero and deserves respect; his story is remarkable. I get that.

But at the same time, he doesn’t get a free pass because of it – and there *is* something unseemly about someone who talks about their own heroism. There just is. I get that, too. Most heroes I’ve met wouldn’t tell their own stories unless you tortured it out of them. Or got them very drunk.

But I have to give McCain something of a break, because he’s a politician – running for President – and in trouble. His stories of heroism are his only trump card. He has to play it. It cheapens those stories, in my eyes, but I understand it.

Professor Blather on August 30, 2007 at 1:09 PM

I don’t know…seeing a presidential candidate acting like an athlete is sure to turn off the “stuffed into lockers in high school and still have serious issues with jocks” voters.

Not that I’m one, mind you.

Slublog on August 30, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Mwahahahahaha. He really does.

He doesn’t. And he’s 60 for Christ’s sake. You pups will be whining about your knees and hips and downing motrin way before his age.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Professor Blather on August 30, 2007 at 1:09 PM

I’ll send my kid to your college any time.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 1:13 PM

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Exactly.

Christoph on August 30, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Bad Candy on August 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Exactly. I heard Romney talking today about Sen. Craig, and he said character is maybe the most important thing for a person in politics to have. Don’t like McCain for some of his policy decisions? I’m with you. But the man has a lot of character, and he is a hero. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him playing up his strong suits.

Also, I watched the whole 12 minutes and was blown away. Very powerful ad.

BadgerHawk on August 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

C’mon. He’s been running his whole life.

Just like he’s been hunting his whole life.

Professor Blather on August 30, 2007 at 1:18 PM

I’M 68 YEARS OLD AND RUN LIKE A CHEETAH.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 1:18 PM

AP-
I don’t know squat about you. Is that true?

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 1:19 PM

skip that. forgot about kp. sorry

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 1:20 PM

AP-
I don’t know squat about you. Is that true?

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 1:19 PM

I think it’s more like 38 and naps like a house cat.

lowandslow on August 30, 2007 at 1:25 PM

I’M 68 YEARS OLD AND RUN LIKE A CHEETAH.

Seinfeld?

lorien1973 on August 30, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Professor Blather on August 30, 2007 at 1:18 PM

I don’t have it out for Mitt or anything, but that’s actually what I thought when I watched it…

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

What we know about AP is:

He’s 32.
He goes outside once a week for 90 minutes (beer run, probably).
He wants an iphone.
He looks democrats with nice racks.
He has a robot fetish.

I think other than that, he’s a blank slate.

lorien1973 on August 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

was blown away. Very powerful ad.
BadgerHawk on August 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Riight. Strawmen blows easily.

Mcguyver on August 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM

McC is a war hero. He’s just not a conservative.

St. John’s best chance at the Presidency is to switch parties, or even go Independent. Maverick evough for you? The MSM would eat it up.

AZCON on August 30, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Professor Blather on August 30, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

It’d be easy enough to find out if his running is as sincere as his hunting … if he’s a runner, there ought to be some evidence of that.

For example, thanks to the magic of Wikipedia I know that Dubya ran a pretty nice 3:44:52 at the age of 47 in the Houston marathon. And I can see from the same source that back in the day the Pink Sapphire was a pretty decent distance runner; I can also see that Al Gore has always been the same flabby windbag.

So any similar evidence that Romney actually does, you know, run? Not saying he has to have run a marathon, of course. But I’d be happy to find out, after watching that ad, that he does in fact run regularly.

Because to tell the truth, for me personally (I personally believe that, such as) that phony bit with the hunting really spoiled Mitt in my book. That’s exactly the sort of fundamental dishonesty I don’t want in my leaders.

The Mormon thing is insignificant compared to how bothered I was by Romney’s little lie of omission on something so insignificant.

So … Mitt-heads? Does your boy actually run? Or did he take up the sport about five minutes before the cameras rolled?

Enquiring (sic) minds want to know.

Professor Blather on August 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Boy I do. There are miles between him and John Kerry. Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I agree wholeheartedly! I’ll take a McCain over Kerry ANY day. But not today… Go MITT!

Califemme on August 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Blather-

There’s some info about his jogging in a Times blog. Not sure it’s definitive.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Blather-
I don’t give a rat’s a** if he jogs or not. But if he fake jogs, I’m gonna get me a huntin’ license and shoot something.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Oh, and just looking at the persuasive power of these two ads—McCain, hands down.

aero on August 30, 2007 at 2:17 PM

He’s 32.
He goes outside once a week for 90 minutes (beer run, probably).
He wants an iphone.
He looks democrats with nice racks.
He has a robot fetish.

I think other than that, he’s a blank slate.

Hahaha. That pretty much covers it.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Hahaha. That pretty much covers it.
Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

I don’t know…he left out an important one.

He will drop the banhammer on anyone who:
-suggests slow zombies are inferior to fast zombies
-questions the musical brilliance of The Beatles

Now the list is complete.

Slublog on August 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM

It’s been about half an hour or so since I watched both these ads, back-to-back. I just realized that I can’t remember anything about the Romney ad except that he was jogging. I have no idea what the message was, other than the implied “I’m not an old fart like my opponents.”

I remember the entire McCain ad, though–all 12 minutes. I can picture the haunting Vietnam images, the details of his injuries, the Christian guard he encountered, his mothers’ comments, the soldier’s bracelet he wears, etc. That’s a good ad if it sticks with a person that strongly after just one viewing. Still not voting for him, but there’s just no contest between the ads. Mitt better hope these ads never get shown together as we’re seeing them here.

aero on August 30, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Mitt better hope these ads never get shown together as we’re seeing them here

I don’t think the McCain campaign can afford the airtime…

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 2:31 PM

I don’t think the McCain campaign can afford the airtime…

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Good point. Now that you mention it, I’m surprised he could even afford to make this ad in the first place, much less air it.

aero on August 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

So Romney’s after the Sarkozy vote?

Iblis on August 30, 2007 at 3:09 PM

I’M 68 YEARS OLD AND RUN LIKE A CHEETAH.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 1:18 PM

That’s nothing. I run after cheetahs. Oh wait that’s cheeto’s. Never mind.

Guardian on August 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Romney:

I kind of like the ad, but I don’t give it 5 stars.

I like that you see him and hear him (as opposed to some of his other ads where there is this creepy voice over and then just a snippet of Mitt). But, as far as delivering a policy message it’s forgettable. I think it’s okay for people who aren’t policy wonks and vote on the Q factor, and there are millions of voters like that.

I do have to laugh that he is doing something “athletic” in this ad, since in “A Mormon in the White House” much is made of the fact that he is not an athlete.

McCain:

I don’t think it is playing to a “sympathy” vote, I think it is meant to demonstrate his courage, and the idea is that he is strong and experienced enough to deal with the enemy (unlike the weaselly and wasckally Democrats).

I think it could be a good reminder to young voters of what the stakes are at wartime, but it’s like a tree falling in the desert in that sense.

As for the length, it must be meant for people like us who are choosing our Party’s candidate. One could easily edit it into a 60 second spot though, and if he got the nomination it would be powerful with the general populace. However, we all know what the meaning of the word “if” is.

After his disastrous Campaign Finance “reform”, his position on immigration, his messing around with our procedures to interrogate the enemy, his membership in the Gang of 14 for Judicial nominees, and his general irascibility, all the ads in the world won’t resurrect him.

Buy Danish on August 30, 2007 at 7:21 PM

I may never vote for either of them in a primary. I don’t know yet. But if it comes down to either one of them vs. a Dhimmicrat, I’ll take either Man. McCain, if elected, would be a damn fine President. Mr. Romney probably would be also. No qualms with either.

But the person who looks at McCain’s ad here and isn’t impressed with him needs a heart transplant worse than the TinMan ever did. McCain is a Man who will do the right thing when America needs to be defended. And that includes defense against illegal alien thugs.

Subsunk

Subsunk on August 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Hey, I got this the second you said it. I was thinking the same thing. I even cringed a bit.

csdeven on August 30, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Jared_MA on August 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Heroes don’t wave their own flag in order to become president. The fact that John did it and we all know it is enough. He cannot bury the shamnesty vote by draping himself in his past sacrifices.

csdeven on August 30, 2007 at 10:45 PM