School bans tag

posted at 10:40 am on August 30, 2007 by Bryan

First, they came for the dodgeball. And I said nothing, because I was too busy running around being chased by that kid who was twice my height and could sling one of those red playground balls like a Nolan Ryan fastball.

Now, they’ve come for tag.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

“It causes a lot of conflict on the playground,” said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don’t chase each other, she said.

This is at least the third school to make headlines banning tag, following a Massachusetts elementary that banned tag due to injury risks; and Santa Monica’s Franklin Elementary School, which banned tag because the principal couldn’t manage to differentiate between proper and improper play at the “it” position.

Comments

Next?

Red Rover. Imagine the damage being done to the arms of children nationwide. My heart aches just thinking about it.

Slublog on August 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Our calves are being fattened for the slaughter.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM

How can you be “chased against your will” in a game of tag? Are these little Einsteins not smart enough to realize that you don’t have to play? That you can not run and if tagged, just go about your business and not play? The ones playing will play without you.

As a kid, I can never recall (and I played a lot of tag) tagging anyone that wasn’t playing. Y’know… because they wouldn’t run after anyone… because… they weren’t playing.

It’s not rocket science. It’s not even saying the ABCs.

Hoodlumman on August 30, 2007 at 10:45 AM

The elementary school I attended was so poor, we used basketballs for dodge ball. I still have welts.

jeffNWV on August 30, 2007 at 10:49 AM

And in other news, studies show an alarming increase in obesity in America’s children.

“Now junior, just sit there and don’t move. You’ll get morbidly obese, but at least you won’t get hurt.”

flipflop on August 30, 2007 at 10:50 AM

And the march towards becoming Eloi goes on.

Bill Ramey on August 30, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Um, isn’t that kind of, ya know, the point of tag? You don’t want to be caught.

OT: Allah, check this article out. The newest research shows that fewer than half of published scientists endorse man-made global warming.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 10:54 AM

flipflop on August 30, 2007 at 10:50 AM

Seconded.

Isn’t it amazing how liberals are always talking about how unhealthy American children are and then they go about banning tag. What about baseball? You could get clocked? How about Soccer? Once I got a soccer ball careening strait into my ear because when the other kid kicked the ball it recieved a lot of lift. Meanwhile, Cho can shoot up a university because the administrators aren’t doing their homework.

It’s Stupid.

BKennedy on August 30, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Funny thing about this stupidity….”it caused a lot of conflict on the playground”.

I ain’t no teacher or nuttin’ BUT…Doesn’t that mean that they could be learning…”conflict resolution?”.

I’m happy to say though, last week with my 12 year old at a Boy Scout Camp they played Dodge Ball…with real (shall I say…) Balls!!! And they hurt too!!

Serisouly though, how far can these educators take this? I for one am upset that the educators aren’t educating at all but rather being PC!!!

HarryStar on August 30, 2007 at 10:55 AM

What if Hide and seek is next?

Teacher, teacher, I hid and nobody seeked. Whaaa.

Retread on August 30, 2007 at 10:55 AM

How did I EVER survive to 68. I actually had fist fights at the school in sixth grade, played football and baseball without padding or helmuts. Rode my bike on the wrong side of the road. Swam at the town pool without lifeguards present and climbed trees to unsafe heights. Smoked and drank way too much and am still not a born again Christian, much to my families dismay. Poor kids of today, they will never be allowed to know the agony of defeat until life bites them in the butt and they are totally defeated.

Bob67 on August 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM

OT: Allah Bryan, check this article out. The newest research shows that fewer than half of published scientists endorse man-made global warming.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Fixed.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM

What about baseball?

BKennedy…You’ll be happy to know that NY just adopteda “No Aluminum Bats” rule for Little League.

I LOVE that sound in the Summer time.

HarryStar on August 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Not exactly worthy of Niemoller, but it is another warning we are becoming a nation of pussies.

What was the harbinger of decline for Great Britain? When it’s groovy music & fashion was more renowned than its military?

Naa-aaaah.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Holy crap, Batman. Bryan…that deserves its own thread.

flipflop on August 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

A few generations under Islamic rule will toughen up the kids. Maybe then, the West will fight back.

Canadian Infidel on August 30, 2007 at 11:03 AM

It’s Stupid.

BKennedy on August 30, 2007 at 10:54 AM

The problem is that elected officials are reactive. If something bad happens, they must be seen to be doing something about it. Whether what they do makes any sense is irrelevant.

It’s for this reason that we have an ever-expanding, never-contracting, set of laws.

flipflop on August 30, 2007 at 11:06 AM

A microcosm of what the Nanny Staters are doing on a national level. I actually started writing a piece when Bryan posted this, its long, so I’ll just post a link.

Bad Candy on August 30, 2007 at 11:06 AM

HarryStar on August 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Craptastic!

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 11:10 AM

It must be horrible for whoever was ‘it’ last. Now that tag is banned, that poor child will be ‘it’ forever :(.

Kevin M on August 30, 2007 at 11:13 AM

HarryStar on August 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM

I’d actually prefer wood bats (they sound and feel better when you bat), but here’s what will happen, and I’m calling this now, a few kids will make a solid hit, and the bat will shatter (as wooden bats do sometimes) throwing splinters everywhere, maybe even one or two kids get hurt by larger ones, and then they’ll ban wooden bats, and either go back to aluminum or go to Nerf bats, and when they go to Nerf bats, then kids will quit playing, and the inevitable pieces on the ever increasing number of overweight children laced with calls to ban fatty foods.

Bad Candy on August 30, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Shouldn’t this be part of the Tuesday Stupid?

pb5000 on August 30, 2007 at 11:19 AM

How might this affect liberals in years to come?

On the bright side, it could lead to their downfall, having been deprived of a child’s game that teaches one how not to get caught.

fogw on August 30, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Tag is offensive to Muslims.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 30, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Amazing. Poor kids today, they can not even ride their bikes without dressing up like Darth Vader.

Wade on August 30, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Heck, at my elementary school, “Kick the Can” was the game…of course, the “can” wasn’t of the aluminum variety…

JetBoy on August 30, 2007 at 11:26 AM

I’m very curious how these academic morons will explain the the banning of Red Light/Green Light.
Wait, I think I have two possibilities:
1. Discriminatory because the deaf student can’t hear the call for the specified color and will not know when to move or stop.
2. Discriminatory because some student is colorblind.

allie on August 30, 2007 at 11:32 AM

When I was a kid, they called dodgeball “Smear the Queer”. And by ‘they’ I mean ‘the coaches’.

What sadistic bastards those coaches were. They would manipulate the game to where the 98-pound-weakling got picked off by the dude who had a full beard in fifth grade.

Matticus Finch on August 30, 2007 at 11:39 AM

So I guess that game we used to play called “Smear the Queer” is out, too.

harrison on August 30, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Finch, do I know you?

harrison on August 30, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Can they also ban cooties?

Bigfoot on August 30, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I’m told that Duck Duck Goose will still be allowed, but only if everyone wears a helmet and foam gloves, and each player signs a waiver releasing the school from liability before each and every “goose”.

Sounds like fun!

Kensington on August 30, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Finch, do I know you?

Maybe so. When I was 10, back in 1980, I was the 98 pounder that was cowering in the corner.

Did you have a beard back then?

Matticus Finch on August 30, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Don’t even mention Rugby, or as we used to call it ‘Butcher ball’.

CrazyFool on August 30, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Along the other “stupid” PC’s within my town here…

There’s a large population of geese within our area that practically LIVE on the kids soccer fields. Do you THINK that it’s easy to get rid of the CR*P on the field that these things leave??

We’re not allowed to get the geese off of the fields or plant things in the ground to prevent them from being on the field.

Do you have any idea how stupid those wooden dogs look on our field?? Yes, wooden dogs to make it “look” like they’re real dogs (i.e. Ending scene in Blazing Saddles)

Just remember liberal PC’ers…Reap what you sow!!

HarryStar on August 30, 2007 at 11:48 AM

When does the madness end? When does this pendulum start swinging the other way?

I’m sitting here reading my latest Cigar Aficionado, an article on the new proposed tax on cigars.

It’s 20,413% per cigar. No, that ain’t a typo. 20,413%. It will double the cost of cigars, if passed. A crappy cigar will cost you $15.00. A good cigar will cost you $30.00. If you live in California, it’ll cost you a day’s wages for one Padron 1926 or Fuente Opus X.

And nobody is making much noise about it.

And now they’re banning tag.

Tag!

Jesus wept. What happened to freedom?

This has gone from annoying to disturbing to dangerous.

What’s next?

Professor Blather on August 30, 2007 at 11:49 AM

I still prefer the “Kill the Ball Carrier”.

Simple yet effective.

What better way to teach kids the facts of life. A simple game really. A ball is thrown into the air (or anything else that you can carry) and somebody with a set of b*lls grabs it.

You can guess the rest of it…KILL HIM!!!!! It’s nice to pass along these games to my kids!!! I’ll be outside tonight playing this one

HarryStar on August 30, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Seriously, what kind of BS lifeskills are these kids going to be left with? If you don’t learn about competition and getting your feelings hurt or a scraped knee at all growing up, for goodness sakes, how can you survive in the real world? This is really doing these kids a disservice. They are just going to be let out into the real world expecting every one to tiptoe around them. What will happen the first time their boss yells at them? Will they cry? Very professional.

This is idiotic.

hollygolightly on August 30, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Surely we have passed the point of absurdity. Tag?! I’m astonished. I imagined they would outlaw the use of the playground equipment before they outlawed tag.

Decisions like these really irritate me because they are rooted in a fundamental error: the belief that kids should be treated like small adults. When we are children we have different needs and treating them like miniature adults really puts them behind the 8 ball as they grow up.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Hmmm, do you think their parents are liberals?

Zetterson on August 30, 2007 at 12:00 PM

I’m guessing that these same libtard gubmint school admins will be OK with “kiss chase” though…anything that might help contribute to the premature sexualization of the cattle.

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 12:00 PM

The silver lining in all this:

We’re waking up!! The D.of I. and Constitution have real meaning to us today, if we have the malkins to stand-up and say NO.

I woke up for some strange reason thinking about the pledge of allegiance. For the first time I thought about what the words meant instead of just repeating it robotically.

Yeah, a lot of things suck. But I’m awake, for the first time EVAH. That feels good.

Play dodgeball with ur own kid, ride a bike without a helmet, tell the school to take a flying leap.

SPEAK UP. LIVE FREE OR DIE means something.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2007 at 12:07 PM

To add to the injuries in this list:
Knee all scraped up from falling down during tag (many, many times)
Clocked a classmate in the knee with a bat during baseball (I still feel bad about that).
Got nailed in the head with a baseball, a hockey puck, a hockey stick, a dodgeball, a swing during “playing.”
Never wore a helmet during bike riding (pedal and motor).
Fell off a bike while not wearing knee pads and got road rash (still have a scar).

Yet, we all survived into adulthood fairly normal and in decent (I’m assuming) shape. I’m still physically active depite all that. And I’m still getting minorly injured, but it doesn’t stop me from living. Yeah, banning tag is stupid.

mjk on August 30, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I still remember a contest we had when I was about twelve to see who could go the fastest down the block on a 20″ bicycle. The sidewalk was not smooth and my dad was watching the activities. When it was my turn, he said, “If you fall, don’t cry.” I fell. Hard. Got road rash on just about every front surface of my body. Elbows, hips, knees, chin, etc. My dad looked at me with THAT look. I did not cry. Most kids today are so pampered that if they get a boo-boo, they get sent to the emergency room for MRI’s. I wonder if John Edwards played tag?

MrFreeman07 on August 30, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Don’t even mention Rugby, or as we used to call it ‘Butcher ball’.

CrazyFool on August 30, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Rugby. A drinking game.

Connie on August 30, 2007 at 12:31 PM

This thread makes me long for the fifties.

Connie on August 30, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I always hated that guy.

infidel4life on August 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

And the femininzation of our school system continues.

Clark1 on August 30, 2007 at 12:43 PM

In a related story, the obesity of schoolchildren has been found to be related to a sedentary lifestyle.

highhopes on August 30, 2007 at 1:26 PM

They need to ban Tiddlywinks while they are at it. I almost got hit in the eye once.

nottakingsides on August 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Ahh. Skool daze. I remember well. I saw in a post above how kids dress like Darth Vader to ride their bikes nowadays. I remember riding my bike wearing shorts and nothing else. Hitch hiking was fun and popular. We were always catching rides with strangers and then when we got our drivers license we would pick anybody up who had their thumb out. Nobody ever disappeared or died or anything. Sometimes we would ride our bikes so far from home we would flag down someone with a pick up and throw our bikes in the back. No worries. When I was a kid we used to hang out at the convenience store until long after the store was closed. Nobody cared. In fact if someone needed to find you they knew where to look first. When I turned 16 it was nothing for a bunch of us to decide (usually around midnight. The make or break hour) to pile into somebody’s car and go to the beach. My parents never worried. In fact we might take a day or two before we got around to calling our parents and telling them where we were.

I feel really sorry for kids today. Thanks to the wonderful “progressive” agenda where right and wrong is relative and bad is celebrated and good is ridiculed. I dread what my grandchildren will face.

Oh, by the way. I’m only 45. I grew up in the 70′s.

Guardian on August 30, 2007 at 2:09 PM

I took my family camping for the first time this summer. My 4 year old ran right out and started playing, and running around with all the other kids. He was having a blast. As I watched them run, throw balls, and ride bikes, I couldn’t figure out what was strange. Then it hit me. No Helmets, Knee pads, or Elbow pads. Kids being kids in a controlled enviornment away from the rules of the nanny government. It did my heart good, they reminded me of my childhood. They looked like real kids.

We are a regular now at the campground, my little one has the time of his life and he loves camping.

Masscon on August 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM

boy with all the repression and emotional damage that’s been done to me by dodgeball and tag as a kid, i’m astonished I’m not so emotionally damaged that I’m a liberal

Defector01 on August 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM

How is participating in a game where the object is to chase or be chased considered against a kid’s will? Are they being kidnapped and forced into playing?
This makes no sense, whatsoever. But anything liberals do nowadays seldom does any more

ToddonCapeCod on August 30, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Sometimes I wonder what Americans from previous generations would think of this generation! Would they shake their head in utter disbelief or reel back in horror?!

JellyToast on August 30, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Next we’ll hear that “Marco Polo” is derogatory towards Italians and we’ll ban that too. Show me one adult, just one adult, who feels he or she is screwed up these days because of the fact that they played TAG in school! JUST ONE!!!!

pilamaye on August 30, 2007 at 7:23 PM

JellyToast on August 30, 2007 at 6:30 PM

You mean like the way we view 1970s fashion choices?

highhopes on August 30, 2007 at 8:02 PM

are mandatory helmets worn during recess that far away?

clghitis on August 31, 2007 at 8:58 AM