Report: Fred plans to announce plans to announce — on September 6th; Update: Confirmed

posted at 2:53 pm on August 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

After three months of hype and nonsense, we have a date. Or so says Politico; we won’t know for sure until the campaign conference call at 4 p.m.

Verrry curious that he’d wait until the day after the Fox debate to which Chris Wallace claimed he’d RSVP’d. I guess he wants a few weeks to get his name out lest he show up onstage and have most of the public scratching their heads wondering who he is. It would have made for one hell of an entrance, though. Odd that an actor wouldn’t seize the opportunity for drama. Exit question: Prudence? Or is he worried that he’d be rusty?

Update: “Fred’s not doing a real good job of demonstrating what Bush-weary GOP voters want changed more than anything else: a guy who can stay on offense as far as setting the narrative, who won’t just let things happen to him and get walked all over by the press (it doesn’t matter much what your message is if you can’t get it out).”

Update: Fred keeps pointing out that in previous years September was a perfectly normal launch date while neglecting to mention that this isn’t a perfectly normal campaign season. Wyoming moving its primary to January 5 means, in theory at least, that Iowa and New Hampshire will have to move up to December, leaving him roughly three and a half months to campaign before his first primary. He could maybe skip those two and Wyoming if he’s polling well, but Michigan just moved to January 15 and that’s too big to ignore. Then comes South Carolina on the 19th, which he’ll be expected to win as the “southern candidate” and then the big one in Florida on the 29th, which Rudy is counting on to propel him to Super Ultra Mega Tuesday. He’s got five months and his poll numbers are already down from the start of the summer. Good luck.

Update: “Mr Thompson’s biggest problem stemmed from what, at first, appeared to be a cunning strategy: running for president without declaring that he was running. He consigned himself to a political no-man’s-land where he has been denied the perks of a traditional campaign (such as appearing in Republican debates), but has nevertheless attracted all the scrutiny of a regular candidate. He has almost no infrastructure in place in Iowa and New Hampshire at a time when some of his rivals have well-oiled machines. Mr Thompson’s tactic might have paid off if he had declared a couple of months ago, perhaps when the Michael Moore video appeared. But now his formal announcement of his candidacy, which is expected any day, is bound to be an anticlimax. So much for an actor’s sense of timing.”

Update (bp): I guess we’ll know the official official date in a few minutes.

Update: Real Clear Politics was in on the conference call. September 6th it is.

Update: Here’s one of the myriad reasons people are annoyed at him. According to WaPo, he may turn up on Leno on the 5th, which would be the second time he’s tried to upstage the field by scheduling a major media appearance to coincide with a Republican debate. If you think one of you is worth 10 of them, that’s fine, but you’d better be ready to prove that when the time comes or else you end up looking not only arrogant but ridiculous.

Update: More details:

House parties will be held nationwide on Sept. 6. A tour of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina will quickly follow the Internet announcement on , with later stops in Florida, and a homecoming event in Lawrenceburg, Tenn., on Sept. 15.

Next Wednesday, Thompson will appear on NBC’s “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” but he won’t participate with his Republican rivals in a debate that same night in New Hampshire.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We actually have an official official date?

Defector01 on August 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

That leaves him a total of 4 months to campaign, with major primaries coming in December/January.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Exit question: Prudence? Or is he worried that he’d be rusty?

I hear the ground rules for these debates can be “complex” and maybe they would have needed some time to review and approve them.

Or, maybe it’s against campaign finance laws to hold yourself out as a candidate (by asking for a place on the stage) before actually announcing.

Or, possibly we’ll not know until someone asks him. Good question for when he does his first HA Rant.

jaime on August 30, 2007 at 2:58 PM

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

If they do. Now the RNC is threatening to take away delegates.

Personally I think all this started way too early anyway. We’ve got over a year to go, and I’m about tired of hearing what they have to say. I’ll still listen, but if it’s the same old stuff they’ve been saying I’ll move on to something else for a while and check back later.

Kowboy on August 30, 2007 at 2:58 PM

I’m starting the think Lemmy was right; the chase is better than the catch…..

You broke my heart Fred!-o, you broke my heart!

liquidflorian on August 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

He’s announcing on Jay Leno.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM

They’ll probably just assume it’s a Law & Order re-run.

kjspeedial on August 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Kowboy on August 30, 2007 at 2:58 PM

The last reports I heard was the RNC taking away half of their delegates. That leaves quite a few, anyway.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Now all we have to wait for is the Chuck Hagel announcement and then it’s on!

JammieWearingFool on August 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM

I haven’t been this excited since I mowed my lawn last weekend!

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Yeah, that abcnews article makes it sound like the actual announcement is happening at 4:30 today, too.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM

I haven’t been this excited since I mowed my lawn last weekend!

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM

I’m in Tennessee. I haven’t mowed my lawn in over a month. Now rain I could get excited about. lol

Kowboy on August 30, 2007 at 3:11 PM

From the corner:

Thompson Buzz [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

No, he won’t announce today — at 4:30 today he will announce the coming announcement next week — Jim Geraghty just confirmed with Team Thompson.

This strikes me as semantics though, unless I’m missing something. Announcing that I will be announcing that I am getting in is basically the announcement, minus the fanfare.

Just get in and debate already.

UPDATE: Jim (who is “on assignment”) adds for clarification: “a) he’s in (duh) and b) announcement coming latter half of next week… “

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Fred will be “officially” in second place, and Mitt in third…and Rudy will still be first.

What has changed?

right2bright on August 30, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Kowboy on August 30, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Hasn’t rained here lately, either. However, it is very hot, so have to be careful with the drying lawn. Had to cut grass further away from the house….

I’m actually discussing lawn care on a Fred Thompson thread. Wow.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:14 PM

No longer interested in Fred Thompson and his “folksy” ways.

Hilts on August 30, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Maybe Fred’s just been delaying so his trophy wife could bone up on her geography skills.

I bet she knows where West Carolina is.

JammieWearingFool on August 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

After the announcement, it’s all downhill.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I’m still interested, but he’s got some making up to do. I was very excited at first, but don’t like the stories I’ve seen about the shakeups in his inner circle.

Matticus Finch on August 30, 2007 at 3:19 PM

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Too bad RedState doesn’t date-stamp their posts. This could be from two months ago.

jaime on August 30, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I really like the way he’s approaching this whole election thing to be honest with you. He’s doing it his way, not following the others and for goodness sake, as someone else already posted, there’s over a year left and I’m already tired of the fan fare over an 08 election. For those of you that think he doesn’t have a prayer of winning, you’re about to get slapped into reality when he does announce. He is not only going to win the hearts and minds and votes of those of us that want some change in the Republican party, but all the Sheeple of the liberal spectrum that aren’t too bright (that’s the majority of Democrats for those that don’t understand my subtle tone) and will vote for him because they “saw him on that TV show”. And I can live with that. Heck, how do you folks think Arnold, a Republican, got elected to the liberal state he’s in, the moron factor voted him in because they “knew who he was”. This is going to be a cake walk for Fred provided they don’t dig up any real dirt on him between now and voting day. Now if he can only get Newt on his ticket, the Republicans can continue their ruling of the world as we know it. That would be a sweet combination.

rayvet on August 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM

I got a news flash for ya, Fred: nobody cares.

Jaibones on August 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Yeah, but when is Newt announcing?

Editor on August 30, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Initially, I was all excited about the possibility of a Fred Thompson charge at the WH…now I’m sick and tired of the stupid feckin’ pantomime.

Run or don’t run Fred…I no longer give a shart…announce when you’re going to announce your announcement of an intention to announce a possible run for the WH. Asshat

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Ok, so we had an announcement that an announcement about the announcement was coming. Now today we will get an announcement that the announcement is coming. Oh good Grief!

conservnut on August 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, but when is Newt announcing?

Lord preserve us from _that_ nightmare

Ochlan on August 30, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Exit question: Prudence? Or is he worried that he’d be rusty?

I think he’s just not ready and that doesn’t bode well for effective organizational skilz.

Fred! has some great Constitutional references but he has to show that he’s up the job and that includes Presidential level executive leadership.

Mitt’s juggernaut however isn’t in hold mode, he’s built a machine and obviously doesn’t lack organization at all.

Giuliani is on the move too but not with the on message precision that Mitt shows.

Speakup on August 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Yeah, but when is Newt announcing?

Editor on August 30, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Didn’t you hear? They wouldn’t let him on the train. He was carrying too much baggage.

JK.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM

In case y’all were wondering … I’m going to announce an announcement date for my announcement announcing that I intend to announce that I’m going to announce that I do not intend to run for any political position.

I knew that y’all cared; and I just couldn’t leave y’all hanging.

Sincerely,
OhEssYouCowboys

P.S. GO POKES! Beat Georgia!

OhEssYouCowboys on August 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM

JK.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Yeah – heard that somewhere. Something about Georgians not liking him, or something.

I don’t think he will run. It’s just a fantasy of mine, right now.

Editor on August 30, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I hope that Fred jumps in and performs so phenomenally that he takes over the race and laps the other candidates, or alternatively, that he crashes and burns so spectacularly that he bows out and Newt or another qualified conservative can jump in before it’s too late.

Fred: trial by fire, buddy! Put up or shut up. Entering the race the day after an important debate is the epitome of pusillanimity.

FloatingRock on August 30, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Even the impatient sceptics here will be pleased, I think, to hear the back-to-basics horse sense that comes out of Fred’s mouth, if it resembles anything like his posts this last year. If you have time, please re-read them, and then tell me where you differ with his positions (on anything other than McC-FG, a law that has not worked as hoped to stop the Clinton’s dirty money financing).

AZCON on August 30, 2007 at 3:38 PM

And after Fred wins the nomination and the Presidency after not declaring until Sept. this whole bull$hit about running campaigns a full year early and spending tens to hundreds of millions of dollars before the campaigns even start will come to a screeching halt.

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Who wants to bet Fred announces on Sept. 11th…

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 3:43 PM

RED STATE: Fred Thompson will announce his candidacy today at 4:30pm EDT…

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Oops … just sent a tip with in it. Sorry, hadn’t read the comments yet.

wytammic on August 30, 2007 at 3:43 PM

What has changed?

right2bright on August 30, 2007 at 3:13 PM

What will change is that he’ll be free to talk policy specifics and raise money without the restrictions he was under.

It’ll also mean we no longer have to listen about people whining about him not having announced yet.

Hollowpoint on August 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Neither.

Why be part of a large crowd by being in the debate? The newscycle will make the Sept 5th debate irrelevant in 24 hours. Who wants to tune in to hear the difference between the candidates? We’ve been hearing the same stuff for over a year now. Fred Thompson’s announcement will wash away the second tier candiates, and give Fred the spotlight until the next debate. All the news will want to talk about and take shots at is Fred. All the speeches he was giving before, prepare to hear them again. Now Fred will have the convience of a national stage focused squarely on him.

Theworldisnotenough on August 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Who wants to bet Fred announces on Sept. 11th…

I will. I’ll happily take that bet. How much?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Who wants to bet Fred announces on Sept. 11th…

I’d bet he won’t. They’d accuse him of politicizing 9/11.

FloatingRock on August 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Who wants to bet Fred announces on Sept. 11th…

I’ll take that bet: against.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2007 at 3:46 PM

I too was an early Fredhead, and I too was becoming put off by his failure to announce, and then it hit me that the date on which he enters the race is irrelevant. When he gets in, if he does well at the debates, keeps the MSM off his back, and manages to put forward a truly conservative message, then no one will care about when he declared his candidacy. If he fails at the above, then he doesn’t win the nomination because of that failure, not because of when he got in the race. So to all of you going on and on about how late (comparatively speaking) Fred is getting into the race, I say Lighten up Francis.

ncc770 on August 30, 2007 at 3:49 PM

I will. I’ll happily take that bet. How much?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

No bet.

Hey, Allah. Hows about a thread where we, the brokenhearted, get to wonder aloud why there are no GOP candidates who are worth a good G*d-Damn.

That would be fun, no?

Jaibones on August 30, 2007 at 3:50 PM

ncc770 on August 30, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Good points.

Jaibones on August 30, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Theworldisnotenough on August 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Good points. Now I want to see a parody of Fred running like Mitt (coughing), with a bullhorn and FDNY hat like Rudy at ground zero (coughing), and in the end sucking a fat stick while driving his red pick up over Hillary (both coughing), thump, thump.

AZCON on August 30, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Politico:

A Thompson campaign official says that they’ll issue a paper statement as to their plans later this afternoon.

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Who wants to bet Fred announces on Sept. 11th…

Ugh. “It’s our national day of mourning. Let’s celebrate!” He lost me ages ago, but even I don’t thing he’s that classless.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

True, this is obviously coming way too soon. But did you know that a whole bunch of candidates announced – and even started running full-blown campaigns – SIX MONTHS AGO? Some news outlets have even been running stories on it. Go figure.

So yeah, Fred Thompson does deserve some flak for jumping the gun on this whole primary thing. But to be fair, compared to everybody else out there, he’s taking by far the most common sense approach.

Of course Fred has an unfair advantage: he had nearly one-twentieth as much national TV exposure as John McCain and Rudy Giuliani had since 2001. Worse still, Thompson has already spent almost one one-hundredth as much as Romney has spent. So given the competition, a second-place showing does seem a bit lame.

But, like you said, the primaries aren’t even close to starting yet. So Fred still has plenty of time to straighten up his act.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 3:53 PM

He lost me ages ago, but even I don’t thing he’s that classless.

C’mon. You wuz always a Rudy grrl.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 3:53 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bodhi on August 30, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Fred’s in, Formal Announcement Late Next Week

Just in case you didn’t see the news in the Corner, heard from one of my Thompson guys – today at 4:30 p.m., the not-quite-campaign will be announcing that they are going to become an actual campaign. Fred’s in, and the formal announcement will come sometime in the latter half of next week.

Thompson won’t be participating in the September 5 debate… ya think we’ll be hearing some jabs in his direction from the other candidates that evening? I wonder if the organizers, taking a cue from the impatience of the New Hampshire Union Leader, will set up an extra podium to underscore their irritation that Thompson is missing it…

08/30 03:38 PM

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Be interesting to see now or over the next few weeks, the changes in message from the Rudy and Mitt camps.

conservnut on August 30, 2007 at 3:55 PM

C’mon. You wuz always a Rudy grrl.

Heh. I admit to having a soft spot for Rudy, but I was excited to hear what Fred had to say. A few months ago.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 3:56 PM

I’ve already have enough of this guy… go away Fred!

Opinionnation on August 30, 2007 at 3:57 PM

[had]enough

Opinionnation on August 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM

While we wait: McCain doesn’t have a chance of winning anymore, but his campaign came out with a pretty cool video: John McCain’s newest bio video

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Exit question: Prudence? Or is he worried that he’d be rusty?

Tactics. The Fred doesn’t take a dump without a plan, son.

Think about it- the previous 9 man, sound-bite “debates” really haven’t had much immediate impact on the poll numbers. There remains a dissatisfaction with the field though among the party base and the debates haven’t changed that.

By announcing immediately after the debate, the buzz shifts from the result of the debate and on to Fred- he basically steals some of thunder of the other candidates right when the debate gets people talking politics again.

He’ll face charges from critics that he’s avoiding the debate, but I think most people would understand him not participating immediately after announcing were he to have done so on Sept 5th. Once he’s had a few weeks to try and gain more attention, then he’ll participate in the Sept 27 debate.

Hollowpoint on August 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM

set up an extra podium

Yes, please! Shame Fred into attending the debate! Let’s get it over with. If the guy won’t pull his toe out of the water and jump into the pool, let’s push him. Sink or swim, baby!

FloatingRock on August 30, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

This has nothing to do with class and everything to do with politics. If Fred were to announce on 9/11 after giving a speech about how this country was attacked 6 years ago to this date and yet still our borders are not secure we have troops in harms way fighting a war against terrorists a congress that cant get anything done and none of the other candidate have any thing remotely resembling a solution. Not only would the average American accept his announcing on Sept. 11th, he would get a jump in the polls that would make all of the other candidates look like they were polling in negative numbers.

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I think the low-key campaign has been smart, considering how unimpressive his recent speeches have been.

Slublog on August 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM

logis on August 30, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I wasn’t saying it’s early. I’m saying it’s late. That leaves him just on quarter to fundraise for multiple major state primaries.

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 4:05 PM

This has nothing to do with class and everything to do with politics.

Want to wager? You say September 11th, I say not. A new iPhone?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Allah, iPhones stink

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM

That was a rhetorical “Want to bet”…You’d do almost anything for an iPhone wouldn’t you. :) :o :)

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Allah, iPhones stink

BANNED.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Didn’t McCain’s campaign go insolvent like three months ago?

They don’t have enough money to run twelve seconds on TV, let alone twelve minutes.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 4:11 PM

The question is – when you have a debate once every week or so, how important are they, really? As much of a political junkie as I am, I refuse to watch any of them until later.

Like mid-November.

crazy_legs on August 30, 2007 at 4:11 PM

OK, iPhones don’t stink

Drudge is now saying the announcement will be on Leno

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Someone should do a YouTube of Fred to the tune of “The Stripper”.

MB4 on August 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM

amerpundit on August 30, 2007 at 4:05 PM

In the past 4 months, Fred’s numbers have doubled amongst likely primary voters such that he’s currently in second place, according to Rasmussen. Four months is plenty of time to go from a relatively close second to first; it’s not like he needs to gain another 20 points.

Hollowpoint on August 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM

This has nothing to do with class and everything to do with politics.

Yeah. Tell that to HuffPo on September 12th.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Jesus, I just said “HuffPo.” I really need to cut back on the political blogs.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

OK, iPhones don’t stink

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Does Larry Craig have an iPhone?

If so his might stink as you don’t know where it has been!

MB4 on August 30, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Yeah. Tell that to HuffPo on September 12th.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Which means diddly squat, nothing said on Huff and Puff is going to impact anyone who who would actually consider Fred, nor is it going to be remembered after more than a week or two.

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Nonsense. Even he needs the moderates and independents.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Nonsense. Even he needs the moderates and independents.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM

You need to put the crack pipe down, there are no moderates or independents over at Huff and Puff…

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 4:24 PM

there are no moderates or independents over at Huff and Puff…

If non-moonbats didn’t read the site, how do you think we’d ever hear about what happens over there? ESP?

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM

HuffPo? Moderates and Independents??????

Bwahahahahahaha

conservnut on August 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Not only would the average American accept [Fred Thompson's] announcing on Sept. 11th, he would get a jump in the polls that would make all of the other candidates look like they were polling in negative numbers.
doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM

When you’re waging a war, you have to make no bones about drawing the battle lines. And I think that particular message would get through in absolutely no uncertain terms.

The liberals keep trying to make this election all about the “unpopular” War on Terror. Fine. Half the people who “disapprove of George Bush’s handling of the War” are pissed that he’s not taking it seriously ENOUGH. Republicans need to get them back in the fold.

Hillary Clinton was selected as the Democrats’ candidate eight years ago. And she has clearly staked out her position on the War on Terror: she is kinda sorta for it and/or against it. You CAN’T meet a position like that half way, and if you try you’ll end up looking like an even bigger fool than she is.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Looks like Fred is confirming he is running so the pledges can be made next week and he will announce later in the week with a big splash and some money lined up.

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Personally? I wait for AP or Bryan to tell me to go look.

AP is ban happy today, just kissin up

conservnut on August 30, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Personally? I wait for AP or Bryan to tell me to go look.

And they’re lefties?

Besides, the liberal blogs make the news with some regularity. They have a lot more pull than we do.

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:34 PM

UPDATE: The Washington Post says Thompson will appear on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno the night before the official announcement. Was Arnold Schwarzenegger the last candidate to announce his bid on Jay’s couch?

so Fred is going to be on Leno after the rest of the field debates that night…. interesting.

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 4:36 PM

when you have a debate once every week or so, how important are they, really?

crazy_legs on August 30, 2007 at 4:11 PM

We haven’t had a Republican debate, (for lack of a better word), for some time now, and longer still since the last Fox News debate, which was by far the best debate so far this season. When is the next Fox News debate after Sept 5th ? The CNN and MSNBC debates always suck, so I’m not nearly as interested in those.

The reason I want Fred to get into the race and debate is because I agree with:

Slublog on August 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM

While Hollowpoint makes a good point about tactics, I strongly suspect that Fred doesn’t want to be in the debate simply because he can’t handle it. I would rather find out ASAP because if Fred bombs I’m hoping that Newt, or perhaps somebody else, will jump into the race.

FloatingRock on August 30, 2007 at 4:38 PM

UPDATE II: Fred Thompson will formally announce his candidacy for president next Thursday night, September 6th via a webcast, political director, Randy Enwright just told supporters on a conference call. The Tennessean will then head out on a “grass-roots tour” of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:34 PM

And predictable, very, very predictable. Give me any one news item and I bet I can almost word for word tell you not only how it will be posted, but also how the comments will run.

Really, there is nothing new there.

conservnut on August 30, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Fred appearing on Leno and not at the debate will be controversial. I wonder how it will go over in NH? Maybe his Red Truck tour of NH right after the announcement on the next day will help him.

If anything, this gives him a lot of buzz right now.

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Tanya on August 30, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Really, there is nothing new there.

conservnut on August 30, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Um, that’s not really a gigantic coincidence there. The liberal media report what the liberal blogs say as “news.” Lately they’re doing that almost as often as their anonymous sources and “madman in the street” protester coverage.

Oh, but now it’s all completely different because the anonymous nutjobs the liberal media use as shills are on the Internet!

Big hairy deal. So – what – this is somenow supposed to mean that conservatives will get elected if they bend over backwards to keep from angering the flaming nutroots?

I’m sure I’ve heard stupider ideas than that, but I can’t think of one off the top of my head right now.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Guys, it’s still August 2007. The election is in November 2008. Why should any semi sane person announce before this? We have a system that defies believe but you don’t have to totally go along with it. Fred will be fine without doing all the debates (who cares?). Anyway, welcome Fred Thompson the next POTUS.

duff65 on August 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Look fellas and gals….the lights are on the Christmas tree!…

Fred! got my cash but I will vote for whoever is left standing in February. Then they will get the cash, and no I don’t live in a little green house in L.A.

Limerick on August 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Well I just got a ballot for an online straw poll for ohio.

Shows how well organized the party is here they want to charge me to vote in the poll (geez)

William Amos on August 30, 2007 at 5:42 PM

I’m feeling really discouraged about the whole nominating process as it becomes clearer and clearer to me that, as a Texan, my vote in the primary won’t have any impact at all. With all the other states rushing to January and February–maybe even December–and no further rumors (that I’ve heard) about Texas changing its date, it looks like we’ll be voting weeks or months after the candidate has already been chosen. Not too much different than in past elections, but we used to have a lot of company on “Super Tuesday.” Sigh. There’s no longer even the illusion that late-voting states have any reason to even bother with primaries.

So I don’t really care if and when Fred announces. For better or for worse, unless Rudy screws up royally, he’s our guy. The best I’m hoping for at this point is that Newt jumps in and stirs up the debates enough to make it interesting.

aero on August 30, 2007 at 6:07 PM