Report: Fred plans to announce plans to announce — on September 6th; Update: Confirmed

posted at 2:53 pm on August 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

After three months of hype and nonsense, we have a date. Or so says Politico; we won’t know for sure until the campaign conference call at 4 p.m.

Verrry curious that he’d wait until the day after the Fox debate to which Chris Wallace claimed he’d RSVP’d. I guess he wants a few weeks to get his name out lest he show up onstage and have most of the public scratching their heads wondering who he is. It would have made for one hell of an entrance, though. Odd that an actor wouldn’t seize the opportunity for drama. Exit question: Prudence? Or is he worried that he’d be rusty?

Update: “Fred’s not doing a real good job of demonstrating what Bush-weary GOP voters want changed more than anything else: a guy who can stay on offense as far as setting the narrative, who won’t just let things happen to him and get walked all over by the press (it doesn’t matter much what your message is if you can’t get it out).”

Update: Fred keeps pointing out that in previous years September was a perfectly normal launch date while neglecting to mention that this isn’t a perfectly normal campaign season. Wyoming moving its primary to January 5 means, in theory at least, that Iowa and New Hampshire will have to move up to December, leaving him roughly three and a half months to campaign before his first primary. He could maybe skip those two and Wyoming if he’s polling well, but Michigan just moved to January 15 and that’s too big to ignore. Then comes South Carolina on the 19th, which he’ll be expected to win as the “southern candidate” and then the big one in Florida on the 29th, which Rudy is counting on to propel him to Super Ultra Mega Tuesday. He’s got five months and his poll numbers are already down from the start of the summer. Good luck.

Update: “Mr Thompson’s biggest problem stemmed from what, at first, appeared to be a cunning strategy: running for president without declaring that he was running. He consigned himself to a political no-man’s-land where he has been denied the perks of a traditional campaign (such as appearing in Republican debates), but has nevertheless attracted all the scrutiny of a regular candidate. He has almost no infrastructure in place in Iowa and New Hampshire at a time when some of his rivals have well-oiled machines. Mr Thompson’s tactic might have paid off if he had declared a couple of months ago, perhaps when the Michael Moore video appeared. But now his formal announcement of his candidacy, which is expected any day, is bound to be an anticlimax. So much for an actor’s sense of timing.”

Update (bp): I guess we’ll know the official official date in a few minutes.

Update: Real Clear Politics was in on the conference call. September 6th it is.

Update: Here’s one of the myriad reasons people are annoyed at him. According to WaPo, he may turn up on Leno on the 5th, which would be the second time he’s tried to upstage the field by scheduling a major media appearance to coincide with a Republican debate. If you think one of you is worth 10 of them, that’s fine, but you’d better be ready to prove that when the time comes or else you end up looking not only arrogant but ridiculous.

Update: More details:

House parties will be held nationwide on Sept. 6. A tour of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina will quickly follow the Internet announcement on , with later stops in Florida, and a homecoming event in Lawrenceburg, Tenn., on Sept. 15.

Next Wednesday, Thompson will appear on NBC’s “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” but he won’t participate with his Republican rivals in a debate that same night in New Hampshire.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The best I’m hoping for at this point is that Newt jumps in and stirs up the debates enough to make it interesting.

aero on August 30, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Ditto that.

MT on August 30, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Finally.

The wait is over for waiting for an announcement that an announcement is forthcoming. Now we can just wait for an announcement.

Then we can watch his polls numbers remain unchanged or continue to slide downward. Everyone knew he was running for the past few months. So, he was included in every poll. His best selling points (name recognition from Law and Order and fanatical Fredheads) could only garner him a weak second place with a current downward trend. I presume that the downward trend is from the naive taken in by his TV personna manliness actually learning of his history as a Nixon mole, abortion lobbiest, dictator lobbiest, CFR champion, inside the beltway weasle. (But that is just my opinion)

Once he does finally announce, we can wait for his announcement that he is going to announce dropping out of the race and transfer all of the funds he raised to a newly formed PAC that just hired his son as a consultant.

P.S. If he were to announce on 9/11 that would be fine by me, because I will never see it. I’ll be watching HBO’s 9/11 special from the first anniversary. I still have it on my SD Tivo. That special will NEVER EVER be broadcast again (particularly in this campaign season), because anyone who saw it would be place under irrevocable mind control forced by what ever spark of dignity and patriotism still burns in them to go directly into the nearest voting booth and pull the lever for Rudy.

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 6:44 PM

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Name recognition from his bit parts in Law and Order? I’ve seen him dozens of times on the show and in movies but never knew his name, much less that he was a Senator. How big a Law and Order fanatic would you have to be to scan the credits to catch the name of the actor who averages maybe 30 seconds of screen time an episode? The name “Fred Thompson meant nothing to me before early this year- I’d bet that’s true for 90% of the population too.

And a “weak” second place? Even after seeing his numbers drop a bit to take him out of the lead, he’s barely trailing RINO Rudy amongst likely primary voters.

Once more voters learn more about Rudy’s sanctuary city policies, his illegal alien butt-kissing, gun-grabbing, staunchly pro-choice stances his support will drop, particularly with the Republican base that tends to vote in the primaries. His lead right now is based mostly on name recognition and the percieved front-runner status.

Hollowpoint on August 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Why on a Thursday?

infidel4life on August 30, 2007 at 7:08 PM

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 6:44 PM

I believe your info on Fred’s polling is wrong:
It’s Fred 23 Rudy 24 and that is a gain for Fred as of the 27th.

Actually Fred has led Rudy at times and has led ALL other candidates since June.

It’s real easy to figure out with the above link.

Nelsa on August 30, 2007 at 7:19 PM

I’ve never seen any of Fred!’s movies or TV shows. I know what I know about him from his written articles and audio and video podcasts.

While it’s way too early to plant a stake in the ground for ANY of the candidates, IMHO, so far Fred! is the closest to having my total support, and I’ll be sending him some of my hard-earned cash.

But I’m really getting sick of the ‘eating our own’ crap that gets thrown around so blithely here.

Face it; ANY GOP candidate will be better in power than the frightenly incompetent and devious Democrat candidates, and I will support whomever gets the GOP nomination.

Patience! We have lots of time to see all the candidates perform under pressure. Nobody, outside of the political blogosphere, has a clue or any real interest in all this, at this point.

I’m keeping an open mind on all of the GOP candidates because I’m going to have to eventually vote for one of them.

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Just got email from Fred Campaign saying he is running

William Amos on August 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Soon, all this talk about Fred waiting too long will fade into the woodwork, as the real campaign begins in earnest.

He’ll be a formidable foe while, and a damn good candidate. The next 15 months just got better, funnier, smarter.

Webutante on August 30, 2007 at 7:59 PM

The First I ever heard of Fred Thompson was when he was sitting in for Paul Harvey on 760 KFMB AM Talk Radio here in San Diego Ca. I had never watched “Law and Order” and had no idea who “Arthur Branch” was, or that Fred Thompson was an actor.

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM

It appears a lot of people around here are going to have to come up with some new material. It may seem to some of you that the consensus is that “Fred waited too long” blah blah blah. I think half of you saying that either are supporting an opponent and are being disingenuous – you don’t really care either way, or you are just piling on. Fred may or may not make it. Waiting until September is not going to make a hair’s worth of difference in what we know about what he thinks about important issues. Frankly, I’m glad the guy has the balls to do it His Way. Maybe he will actually do something about immigration. Staff turnover is good and bad. It’d be nice if he got the right people from the start. But it’s good he doesn’t hesitate to take action when necessary.

I think most you have been sucked into a reality of expectations set by the media. I’m glad Fred is doing it His Way. He’s nobody’s “Huckaberry”. The rest is up to him now.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Give me some of the stuff that the guys at Rasmussen have been smoking, because they have been out of step on the Thompson polling for a long time. Take a look at this:

This shows an average of the major polls over time. You can see Rudy and Mitt are climbing. McCain and Thompson are declining.

Sorry guys, This is all a tempest in a tea pot about a non-candidate on his way to being an ex-candidate.

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 8:17 PM

No, they simply use different methodology; the different polls aren’t directly comparable.

Pollsters like Gallup polled all self-identified Republicans and “Republican leaning” independants where Rasmussen polled “likely primary voters”. Because some states only allow those registered with a particular party to vote in that parties primary, the independants of those states can’t be considered “likely primary voters”.

Since Fred appeals more to the conservatives of the Republican base where RINO Rudy appeals more to independants(who are less likely to vote in the primaries even when allowed to), the Rasmussen poll is not only more accurate with regards to the primary race but results in a better showing for Fred.

Hollowpoint on August 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Hollowpoint on August 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Please don’t confuse him with lucid reasoning while he is in the middle of bashing Fred. It will only disorient the Fred haters and they’ll start accusing chestnuts of being lazy.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 8:54 PM

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 8:17 PM

That doesn’t mean that some pollsters didn’t do better than others, however, and firms haven’t hesitated to trumpet their results. “Rasmussen Reports is the winner in polling accuracy!” read a news release from the Asbury Park, N.J., polling firm. The headline from a Zogby International release said the Utica, N.Y., pollster batted “10 for 10″ in its telephone polls of competitive Senate races, and asserted the results from its online polls showed its “interactive polling model shines.”

I crunched the results from pollsters on dozens of races, and found that some did indeed appear to be more accurate than others. I’ll share my results later in the column, but before I do, I want to explain why I’m more reluctant to crown a winner than some of the polling firms were in their PR. The science of evaluating polls remains very much a work in progress.

Smoke that Tommy…….

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Did I or did I not predict the following:

Fred Thompson will announce the day after the last debate in order to skirt any hard questions and be the dark horse riding L&O fame, pretending he is the conservative dreamboat.

So, this is what we know about Fred: He can weather of the storm of Jay Leno and Sean Hannity, but debate fellow Republican contenders? Nah. Too much work.

BKennedy on August 30, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Big hairy deal.
logis on August 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Been a while since I heard that. You grew up in the ’60s?

jaime on August 30, 2007 at 9:08 PM

And it’s too late Freddy, now it’s too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died and I can’t hide
And I just can’t fake it

It used to be so easy supporting you
You were new and charismatic and I knew just what to do
Now you look so old and tired and indecisive, and I feel like a fool

MB4 on August 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Did I or did I not predict the following:

BKennedy on August 30, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Dear Mickey Spillane:

It’s normal for a candidate to attend a debate the day after announcing?

Fred haters need to get a grip. Fred is never going to be good enough for you. Quite Fredly, I’m getting Fred up with it.

Don’t hate the playa’, hate the game.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Newt Gingrich is a loser.

Hilts on August 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Yeah, but you can bet that it will be late Sept 6th,probably about 11:45PM.

TheSitRep on August 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Newt Gingrich is a loser.

Hilts on August 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Newt is my homeboy.*

* I’m not gay.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Smoke that Tommy…….

doriangrey on August 30, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Okay, I will. Rasmussen says:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows Rudy Giuliani remains on top in the race for the Republican Presidential Nomination. Giuliani earns 26% of the vote from Likely Republican Primary Voters. Former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney are essentially tied for second at 18% and 16% respectively. Today’s reading reflects Thompson’s lowest level of support since the first week of June.

It also says:

This week’s data shows Giuliani is viewed favorably by 76% of Republican voters and unfavorably by 21%. Thompson earns favorable reviews from 58% of Republicans and negative assessments from 27%. Those figures include 29% with a Very Favorable opinion of Giuliani and 26% with a Very Favorable opinion of Thompson. Perceptions of both men among Republicans has changed little over the past week but Thompson’s numbers are down from earlier in the summer.

Rasmussen also polls Giuliani 7 points ahead of Clinton, whereas Thompson gets traunced by Clinton, Obama or Edwards. He does manage to top Kucinich but is neck and neck with Biden and Richardson.

WE MUST SAVE OUR COUNTRY. STOP THE FREDHEADS FROM GIVING THE WHITEHOUSE BACK TO THE CLINTONISTAS

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Dear Mickey Spillane:

It’s normal for a candidate to attend a debate the day after announcing?

Don’t hate the playa’, hate the game.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Jay Leno is on every week. Debates have been going on for the last month. Unless you’re arguing that Fred lives in a cave and therefore hasn’t seen the news, he knew damn well what day the debate was and where, but instead he wanted to hack it up with Leno. He’d blow off a rare chance to start out strong and shine after baiting us for the last few months, but instead he took the coward’s road and decided to show up at a weekly broadcasting of mediocre-grade comedy. Who wants to bet Fred makes a few remarks about the other contenders in the debate he never showed up for? It’d be just like the lazy git.

And I am hating the game, the game that Fred has been playing at all of us. I’ll give you a hint: It rhymes with: “Bull I’ll Sling-er”

BKennedy on August 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Breathe, tommy, breathe…

It’ll be ok. There’s a long way to go yet. Lots of things will happen between now and the time we have to choose. Fredheads are not the enemy.

Breeeeeeathe…

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 9:30 PM

BKennedy on August 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM

You’re right. I hear Fred’s just been fishing for months instead of building an organization.

Good grief. I think the fact that the lot of you have your panties in a wad about everything Fred just goes to show how viable he really is. If Fred is screwing up and you don’t support him, why are you so obsessed? Do you know why you can criticize Fred like this? Because Fred gives you free will. Ha!

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Breathe, tommy, breathe…

Breeeeeeathe…

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 9:30 PM

The voice of reason. Some may call me a “Fred Head” but around here I am just a “Fred Basher-basher”. I think people just need to “quit yer bitchin” and see how this nets out.

Stop eating your own.

None of us know how this is going to shake out and the bottom line is we will have to circle the wagons against Hillary when the time comes.

It’s like if people started arguing about who should be in the BCS title game already. Let them play the games first and we’ll all see who The One is.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 9:36 PM

BKennedy on August 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM

I’ll bet you Fred! is seen by more people on Leno than those participating in the debate. It’s a smart move. It gets a bigger audience and he gets much more time to expound and connect with the electorate.

Or is that what’s got your panties in a bunch?

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Your data is old Here is Rasmussen on Obama vs Giuliani

Rudy Giuliani (R)
43%

Barack Obama (D)
45%

and Thompson vs Obama:

Fred Thompson (R)
41%

Barack Obama (D)
45%

Both are within the margin of error, effectively tied.

Here is Hillary vs Giuliani and vs Thompson

Rudy Giuliani (R)
44%
Hillary Clinton (D)
45%

Fred Thompson (R)
40%
Hillary Clinton (D)
47%

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Ha ha! You beat me to it. A double pantie puckering positing posting!

Welcome to HA, Weber48IDA!

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

If you’re talking about CS and BK, that’s totally out of line.

How many times have they sworn absolute allegence to the Republican Party; averred that they bear no bias against Fred Thompson in the slightest degree; and said they will GLADLY embrace Fred Thompson if it turns out he isn’t a flash in the pan? Dozens… hundreds?

Basically, the deal is this: if Fred Thompson does absolutely nothing at his first debate other than wet his pants and dribble, we will all have to admit that WE are all “namby pamby Fred? humpers.”

On the other hand, if it turns out they were wrong, and Fred Thompson’s numbers actually (gasp!)increase after he officially announces his candidacy, they will be honor bound to admit that they were both complete idiots, and that everyone else was absolutely right from the very beginning. What’s more, if Fred Thompson (gasper!) wins the Republican nomination, they will then embrace Fred Thompson as their only candidate; and they will happily forget that Ron Paul Mitt Romney ever existed.

I for one fully intend to honor my part of the bargain, and to hold them to it as well. In the meantime, we must all withhold judgement on the issue, and I’m sure they will return the favor.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

logis on August 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

That’s an honorable sentiment and I’m onboard with you, but I’ve seen too much evidence to the contrary from CS and his accolytes.

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 9:50 PM

If you’re talking about CS and BK, that’s totally out of line.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

This is lunacy. Polls numbers, huh? Sheep. Hillary has high poll numbers. Why aren’t they supporting her?

If you Fred bashers acknowledge the fact that you would support him if he’s The One then it probably makes sense to keep your yaps sealed until you see him perform one way or another in combat. Otherwise, you are just talking smack.

I think a lot of you guys are way over the top and are just feeding one another. And I think a lot of people reading this daily, condescending baloney by Allah are thinking the same thing but just don’t say so.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM

And I think that girl from South Carolina is really smart and stuff.

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Face it, folks, Fred is half-assing this thing because he really doesn’t want to be President, he just wants to appease his trophy wife. This is really a campaign for First Lady. Perhaps we could get her to go to New Hampshire to debate for him. RUDY 4 PREZ!

The Sinner on August 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM

If Fred can’t withstand our little “yaps and smack”, how well do you think he will perform in “combat”?

MB4 on August 30, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Yo Web. I might be misunderstanding, but I believe logis was waxing sarcastic in that post you quoted. He’s poking our resident rabid Fred!haters. Good job of it, too.

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Weber48IDA on August 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Golly, do ya’ think?

That’s why I’m so convinced they have to be either closet Ron Paul supporters or out-and-out Mobys. ‘Cause otherwise, all this slash-and-burn crap makes no sense.

Seriously, if somebody like Duncan Hunter had waited until now to announce would anyone be pitching a screaming fit about it? Of course not. The only reason anyone has for singling out Fred Thompson for abuse is that he’s becoming too popular, too quickly. And there’s no way anyone who wants the Republican party to WIN would react that way.

That’s a damned hard pile to sell; and that’s why they’re straining so hard to sell it.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Yeah, but when is Newt announcing? Editor on August 30, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Shh… Fred IS Newt.

Time for the Fred-heads to par-tay! He’s in 2nd place and he hasn’t even left the gate. Now THERE’S a politician. He’s not a perfect conservative 10 but I’ll settle for an 8. And as far as his wife is concerned… JE-ri, JE-ri, JE-ri…

Only remaining question is who’ll share the ticket with him?

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM

I just hope he doesn’t announce on (1) a television program, or (2) on Internet video. Fred, don’t go into this campaign giving the folks in middle America the impression that you are the Sim candidate. Be human, be real… don’t do this in Hollywoodland.

Kalifornia Kafir on August 31, 2007 at 2:34 AM

This silly notion that national polls mean anything is, well, silly.

And the bragging that fred? is smart because he hasn’t spent a dime yet is in second place, forgets the fact that because fred? is not in the race, no one knows what he really stands for. They are voting for some character that played on a TV show. They are voting for a facade.

I’m glad he’s getting in. I want to see how he responds to the questions about his sorted history. There are sooooo many topics that he has zero credibility on that he’s going to have to keep up with the folksy banter and try to slip some BS past some folks.

Here are some issues that fred? will have to deal with….

1) Family values
2) Washington insider
3) Being linked to the same profession as Abramoff
4) Pro-choice
5) Funneling cash to relatives
6) Lobbying for a dictator and against victims of asbestos poisoning
7) McCain/Feingold
8) No executive experience
9) Lazy
10) Do nothing career in congress
11) Washington playboy
12) He has cancer…and no, fred? does not get an absolute moral authority card for that. His health is a major issue.
13) His weakness on what to do in Iraq.
14) His weak grasp of the Cuban immigration issue.
15) He was forced into running by his wife and friends.

So, it appears that we have finally shamed that lying faker, freddie boy to grow a pair of stones and enter the race. Now, we get to have all these questions answered.

And there is still the possibility that fred? is going to take these new funds that were waiting for him, put them in the coffers and quit a few weeks, or months later. Thereby allowing him to funnel all that juicy cash to his family. He’s done it before. How many other candidates have done that?

csdeven on August 31, 2007 at 2:36 AM

Here is Hillary vs Giuliani and vs Thompson

bnelson44 on August 30, 2007 at 9:40 PM

That’s only for Pennsylvania.

Nationally it’s (as of Aug 14th):

Rudy Giuliani (R) 47%

Hillary Clinton (D) 40%

————————–

Fred Thompson (R) 43%

Hillary Clinton (D) 46%

Looking at the approval ratings, 97% expressed an opinion about Rudy but only 85% did with Thompson, suggesting Fred has an opportunity to improve if he can win over some of those unfamiliar with him.

Hollowpoint on August 31, 2007 at 2:41 AM

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM

WE MUST SAVE OUR COUNTRY. STOP THE RUDY SUPPORTERS FROM GIVING THE WHITEHOUSE TO ANOTHER AMNESTY SUPPORTING, ILLEGAL ALIEN PANDERING RINO.

Hollowpoint on August 31, 2007 at 2:50 AM

tommylotto on August 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Hollowpoint on August 31, 2007 at 2:50 AM

Or better yet, let’s do both. The media have been telling us that McCain and Giuliani are our “only hope” for over a year now. Well, guess what? They aren’t doing that because they want to help us beat Hillary.

The day the Republican primaries are over, the liberal press will attack ANY candidate we put forth with exactly equal hysteria. (That’s why I always thought the fact that Newt was “damaged” by the press was a GOOD thing; he’s already been through the ringer.)

That means that Rudy’s media blow job would come to a particularly violent end, and his poll numbers will take a nationwide nose dive if he irreversably became our candidate. They made him; they can break him. So try plugging a ten percent hit into your little electoral calculator and see where that leaves The Only Man Who Can Beat Hillary.

logis on August 31, 2007 at 5:43 AM

Shh… Fred IS Newt.
Mojave Mark on August 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM

That’s just your opinion.

…Well, and Newt Gingrich’s too. But since when are you two guys the experts on that?

logis on August 31, 2007 at 5:51 AM

logis on August 31, 2007 at 5:43 AM

The media would be just as happy with President Giuliani as they would President Hillery, thus they are playing softball with Rudy. If he was a true conservative, they would be on him like a pack of pit bulls on a poodle.

Texas Nick 77 on August 31, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Only remaining question is who’ll share the ticket with him?

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM

May I suggest, “to balance the ticket,” Duncan Hunter?

Texas Nick 77 on August 31, 2007 at 6:50 AM

If you’re talking about CS and BK, that’s totally out of line.

logis on August 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

I wouldn’t call it absolute allegiance to the Republican Party, I’d call it: “Oh Gods, I am NOT going to be responsible by comission or omission for putting that corrupt, lying, crony-loving, Socialist Nanny Stater in charge of anything more than the graveyard shift at the local McDonalds (I wouldn’t give her dogcatcher, that would be supporting animal abuse).”

I still want a conservative candidate, but I’ll settle for Queen Guiliani or New York DA Arthur Branch should that be the case. If the Dems actually put up someone who wasn’t a died-in-the-wool socialist (Joe Lieberman or Zell Miller was running) I might have voted for them, but the Clintons caused more damage to the office of the Presidency in 8 years than anyone else in history. That was in a time of peace. I don’t want Bonnie and Clyde in charge of this country during a war.

BKennedy on August 31, 2007 at 7:11 AM

Or is that what’s got your panties in a bunch?

techno_barbarian on August 30, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Following that logic Fred? should appear on American Idol instead of Leno, then even more people would see him. They still wouldn’t have any freaking clue what he stands for, and probably wouldn’t even remember that he’s running for President. It isn’t how many people watch the debate, its what the purpose of the debate is: To see how the candidate’s differ from one another on issues of substance.

How many primary voters do you think watch Jay Leno? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Anyone who watches Jay Leno has already seen Fred a couple of times, as has anyone who watches or listens to Hannity. Fred is already “exposed to the public,” the only thing he hasn’t done is stood up and been counted with the other legitimate contenders. He had a perfect chance to do it. If he announced on the 4th instead of the 6th, he’d be offical and he could spin it that “as soon as we’re in, we’re in, and we’re taking it to the mat on the 5th (cheers and applause)!”

But he didn’t. Instead, he wants to tool around with Leno. Likely because while he’s still “unofficial,” Leno doesn’t have to invite on any of the other 7 candidates for a half hour.

BKennedy on August 31, 2007 at 7:20 AM

Shh… Fred IS Newt.
Mojave Mark on August 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM

fred? is the only candidate or non-candidate that gains credibility from associating themselves with Newt. The rest stand on their own and do not NEED Newt. Think about it….THAT is how inexperienced and vacuous freddie boy is.

csdeven on August 31, 2007 at 9:21 AM

BKennedy on August 31, 2007 at 7:20 AM

Aren’t you the same idiots who said Fred Thompson’s only support among likely Republican Primary voters comes from Law and Order addicts?

Now all of a sudden, primary voters don’t watch anything on TV except pre-primary debates.

logis on August 31, 2007 at 10:00 AM

csdeven on August 31, 2007 at 9:21 AM

So now Newt Gingrich’s wholehearted endorsement constitutes an indelible stain on a Republican candidate?

There are only two options here, either:

A) These guys are as liberal as Liberache’s more flambouyant “roomate,” or

B) They are hopelessly deranged to the point where they have forgotten that the concept of reason ever existed in the first place.

And it gets even simpler when you realize there’s no real difference between those two.

logis on August 31, 2007 at 10:10 AM

logis on August 31, 2007 at 10:00 AM

The genre of L&O is completely different than the genre of Jay Leno.

Next you’ll be telling me that Barney the Dinosaur and Gundam Wing both attract the same demographic.

BKennedy on August 31, 2007 at 10:11 AM

One more tired, old dragon for Sir Tancalot to slay !!!

Joey1974 on August 31, 2007 at 10:44 AM

logis on August 31, 2007 at 10:10 AM

No. The real candidates don’t get a bump from Newt, whereas fred? will. That is because freds? experience and history is so shallow that Newt makes him look better. Rudy and Mitt! have way more executive experience than Newt. And Mitt! has the family values edge on Newt.

csdeven on August 31, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Here are some issues that fred? will have to deal with….

1) Family values
2) Washington insider
3) Being linked to the same profession as Abramoff
4) Pro-choice
5) Funneling cash to relatives
6) Lobbying for a dictator and against victims of asbestos poisoning
7) McCain/Feingold
8) No executive experience
9) Lazy
10) Do nothing career in congress
11) Washington playboy
13) His weakness on what to do in Iraq.
14) His weak grasp of the Cuban immigration issue.
15) He was forced into running by his wife and friends.

1) CSDevin is against divorce… ok. Interesting call there.

2) CSDevin thinks the other Politicians with more political experience are less Political Insiders… gotcha.

3) Um… worse than Politician?

4) Not exactly, no.

5) Interesting… you have proof I assume?

6) Ah, everything he ever looked at as a Lawyer/lobbyist is now his position. Clever.

7) One of many who have this problem.

8) So, all the Senators are out of the race?

9) Personal opinion as attack isn’t really a factual argument.

10) The type I generally prefer. See #7.

11) Personal opinion as attack isn’t really a factual argument.

12) Ok, I’d like a clean bill of health here for a 4 year period from a doctor. Good point.

13) Yep, because he should know now how this situation might change in the next year. Actually, could you fill me in on that?

14) Dunno, you might have something here; I’ve not heard anything on this.

15) Personal opinion as attack isn’t really a factual argument.

So, you’ve got a couple decent points, some personal attacks, some moralistic preaching, and some arguments that hit nearly everyone, in many cases worse than they hit Fred.

Nice job… so Fred in a cakewalk by csdeven. If this is the worst problems to come… easy run.

gekkobear on September 4, 2007 at 5:10 PM