Who said it: “You know what my goal is?… [A] little bit of respect.”

posted at 5:27 pm on August 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

In the immortal words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

Graham faced pointed questions and shouted down one heckler over his support for a controversial immigration reform bill that died in the Senate…

“You know what my goal is?” said Graham, who is up for re-election in 2008. “Not for universal agreement. But for a little bit of respect. I don’t like someone being with me on Thursday and being on the other side Friday because of some newspaper article. We’ve got too much of that going on.”

Time for a trip down memory lane about “respect” — several trips, really. The money quote is at the very end. You know the one I mean.

Comments

Gramnesty for President.

At least if the alternative is Mike Huckabee. Who apparently is planning on running on a campaign of banning smoking. Everywhere.

Christoph on August 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM

You know if it was for the threat of Islamic terrorists I would somewhat welcome a democratic take over.

We need to seriously clean out some brain deads. And a hillary presidency would have been a truely epic disaster for the US economy.

However I dont want another 9/11 and that is the main reason I will fight so hard to keep the dems from getting our citizens killed

William Amos on August 28, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Way to drag your buddy Garza’s name through the mud, pal. Reference him them call people bigots. Classy.

Spirit of 1776 on August 28, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I doubt that Dan Garza was an ILLEGAL immigrant.
We are made up of immigrants from all areas, and when they come in LEGALLY, they make great Americans.

Otherwise, they are not–great, or American.

Vanquisher on August 28, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Christoph on August 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Oh, so Huck’s a Nanny Stater too? Well, I railed against Hillary for the same thing today, so I have to be consistent…Get Bent, Huck. God, he’s even worse than Hillary…HILLARY!

Sad part, I rarely smoke, only a cigar on rare occasion. Liberty is too important to throw away, even petty unhealthy things like tobacco, and this sloppy ban business is gonna put us in a police state in no time.

Bad Candy on August 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Forty percent of illegal immigrants in the country came with legal visas and never left.

Aha! It’s been bugging me where I heard that. I repeated in one of the old immigration threads that only 60% of the illegals came in sneaking over the border, and when challenged to back up that number, I could not back it up.

RushBaby on August 28, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Bad Candy on August 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM

I always pictured you as a woman, you know “Bad” Candy. Now I just feel yucky

JiangxiDad on August 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM

I guess no one took him to Chuck E. Cheese.

infidel4life on August 28, 2007 at 5:43 PM

” Nobody owns the idea of being an American”
–Sen. Graham (Rino-SC)
‘cept maybe, well y’know, maybe Americans…You think senator?

billy on August 28, 2007 at 5:48 PM

There are so many threads to pick at. “Get people right with the law.” Okay, how about deportation? That’ll get them “right with the law.”

“Poster person.” Poster boy would be sexist, except he’s talking about a guy.

What a hack. He should shut up.

windbag on August 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM

JiangxiDad on August 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Its from a old Halo2 profile I had. I used a pill as my symbol, so that name seemed fitting. After a while I realized people would read it like you did…. probably not the best choice in name, but whatever.

Bad Candy on August 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM

RushBaby on August 28, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Those that overstay visas are certainly a problem and suggest a need for better interior immigration enforcement. However, at least we knew who they were when they entered the country and had a say in allowing them in- unlike those who anonymously slip across the border with unknown intentions.

Hollowpoint on August 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM

billy on August 28, 2007 at 5:48 PM

I like that actually. Forgot where I heard this, some guy says he was born American, just in the wrong place.

I agree with that. But immigrants have an obligation to come here legally, and we have an obligation to have a decent and functioning immigration system.

JiangxiDad on August 28, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Bad Candy on August 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Well for the record, I always thought you were one tough broad, dude!

JiangxiDad on August 28, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Bad Candy on August 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM
Well for the record, I always thought you were one tough broad, dude!

JiangxiDad on August 28, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Heh why do I get the feeling that you read his sn as “Bad eye candy” ?

William Amos on August 28, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Hollowpoint on August 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. The context of my original comment – We were being accused of racism against Mexicans, and I was trying to make the case that those opposed to illegal immigration included visa abusers come from all over the world. 40% illegal immigrants that are not Mexican is a big number.

RushBaby on August 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM

“No group owns being American.”
Um…yeah they do…THE LEGALS do.

tickleddragon on August 28, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Well for the record, I always thought you were one tough broad, dude!

JiangxiDad on August 28, 2007 at 5:55 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Bad Candy on August 28, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I thought the group that owned this was the group called the legal citizens of AMERICA. What a CHOAD. All he does is piss me off every time he opens his mouth

400lb Gorilla on August 28, 2007 at 6:06 PM

I’m a bigot, I’m a bigot, I’m a bigot.

Ok, you’ve got that off of your chest, now close the borders.

right2bright on August 28, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Here.

Big S on August 28, 2007 at 6:07 PM

He is such a tw..it.

tickleddragon on August 28, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Wonder what Dan Garza thinks of people illegally coming into this country? If Gramnesty thinks straightening out the bigots will change immigration he is a fool. One has nothing to do with the other. With logic like this it is no wonder congress is such a friggin mess.

Wade on August 28, 2007 at 6:10 PM

After 911,my viewpoint was to immediately seal the borders,
all,I mean all immigration should of been halted.See who
belongs in your country,and who the h!ll doesn’t.
I know it sounds overkill,but isn’t it safe than be sorry!
So most of these speeches are nice,but I’m still banking on
that the Republicans are going to make your country safer.

Yes,there are groups that claim they own Americans,there
called Liberal Activists.

canopfor on August 28, 2007 at 6:17 PM

I hate people that keep declaring the Immigration system as broken. It’s can’t be broken if it’s not used. I will repect him much better as Former Sen. Graham.

Zaire67 on August 28, 2007 at 6:20 PM

With you Thursday and against you Friday? Oh, no Senator Gramnesty. I’ve thought you were an a**hole all week long. I’ve never been with you at all ever since your sole aspiration was to become John McCain’s butt boy. No respect (or soup) for you! Get out!

austinnelly on August 28, 2007 at 6:21 PM

“It’s not only what this country can do for Hispanics, but what Hispanics can do for this country,” he said.

Guardian on August 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM

I nominate Graham for “Pandering Nauseating Ignorant Whimp of the Year”

He so-o-o-o deserves it.

Nichevo on August 28, 2007 at 7:23 PM

You know how I know nobody is serious on addressing the immigration problem? Because not one single politician has made any discussion of fixing the horrible system all our legal immigrants have to go through. I used to date a woman who was immigrating from Malaysia, and she went to an insane amount of trouble and expense to stay within the law. She spent a good bit of money on an immigration lawyer, worked her butt off dotting i’s and crossing t’s — and when you’re immigrating legally, you’d better be on time with everything. If, of course, you submit your paperwork months in advance of the due date and the government just doesn’t get around to it, hey! Sucks to be you!

Or, you know, you can just break the law, and have Lindsay Graham in your corner.

Well-Armed Lamb on August 28, 2007 at 7:38 PM

They’re all thinking, “Pinche gabacho!” the entire time. They’re the “national council of the race.”

PRCalDude on August 28, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Citizens own being-an-American–by definition, Lindsey Lohan Graham

urbancenturion on August 28, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Christoph on August 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM

I have mixed feelings, but if I was asked the same question, I would probably answer the same way Huckabee did. Cigarette smoking is different from fast-food, cigars, and even alcohol in that it affects more than one person when you light up a cig.

Cigarettes really aren’t any different than other drugs, except that we often have the mentality that it’s OK because it’s legal.

One of the fundamental rules of thumb that I follow regarding potential laws is this: Your rights end where my rights begin. I have to breathe your smoke when you smoke. The reason we don’t allow people to “choose” to murder is because murder is immoral and wrong. Likewise, we ban marijuana, cocaine, etc., because they are harmful to the body, and have virtually no benefits to our bodies and society.

The same with cigs. Not the same with alcohol, fast food, and even cigars.

HYTEAndy on August 28, 2007 at 7:59 PM

PRCal, out here we use Pinche Gringo, but it may mean the same thing…

thebookkeeper on August 28, 2007 at 8:56 PM

PRCal, out here we use Pinche Gringo, but it may mean the same thing…

thebookkeeper on August 28, 2007 at 8:56 PM

We also use pinche pendejo, which I think fits Graham even better.

PatrickS on August 28, 2007 at 9:54 PM

/agree HYTEAndy

Highrise on August 29, 2007 at 1:26 AM

I didn’t realize that pus was in the Air Force. I pictured him in airport comode stalls.

saiga on August 29, 2007 at 11:10 AM