Video: Steyn on the Opus non-controversy and “creeping shari’a”

posted at 10:07 pm on August 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

Have any Muslims or Muslim groups actually criticized the Opus cartoon or have we already arrived at the point where America’s sacred, magical newsrooms are self-censoring merely on the off-chance that they might? This is CAIR’s bread and butter but I don’t see anything on their homepage or on Google News from them about it. In fact, the only statement from a religious group I can find is the Catholic League complaining about double standards and the only statement from a Muslim is this piece advising the Washington Post to “lighten up.”

I ask because it’s related to what Steyn says at the end about moderate Muslims being afraid to come forward if American culture doesn’t lead the way: the corollary is to give American Muslims a little more credit than WaPo has here. If even CAIR can’t find a bug up its ass about the strip, maybe it’s time to recalibrate expectations.

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

That was maybe the most pleasing segment of that show I’ve ever seen. Steyn made great point after great point, and Colmes sounded close to normal for most of it.

BadgerHawk on August 28, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Alan scoffs at creeping sharia, without even understanding what it is. It is not a coup. It is a slow, incremental change in society that will take 2 or 3 generations. But by the time that 3rd generation comes to pass, our society may look a lot different. Horrifyingly different. But being the liberal dumbass he is, he scoffs.

jihadwatcher on August 28, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Mark Steyn, ever the voice of reason.

Spirit of 1776 on August 28, 2007 at 10:31 PM

The latter.

steveegg on August 28, 2007 at 10:36 PM

If Jesus Christ came on the show, Alan would disagree with Him. Just cuz.

infidel4life on August 28, 2007 at 10:40 PM

The San Jose Mercury News, one of the most liberal rags in the country, and my home town paper, printed the dreaded cartoon of blasphemy.

In a rare moment, I find myself proud of the home team.

JayHaw Phrenzie on August 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Steyn is great. I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with him.

And it was nice to see Alan not being a complete tool.

JimRich on August 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM

“…I ask because it’s related to what Steyn says at the end about moderate Muslims being afraid to come forward if American culture doesn’t lead the way:…”

I’m so friggin sick of the phrase “moderate muslims”. They’ve had (if they exist) since 9/11 to say ANYTHING that would either identify them or do some good. Again, wtf is a moderate muslim? The only thing I can think of is these are the muslims who don’t actively participate in mayhem. They’re afraid of repercussions? Fine, then use outlets such as Hot Air to voice concerns and solidarity with America anonymously. The only thing I hear are idiotic Americans saying “but not all of them are terrorists…”

JWS on August 28, 2007 at 10:47 PM

well said

jp on August 28, 2007 at 10:50 PM

So now the media is bending over for sharia before being asked. Great.

Keep in mind that almost all of those oh so eager to kneel in submission are democrats. I think it’s important to realize that fully.

If elected, they will not protect us. They know only surrender and they’re selling the rest of us out to enemies who are in every way inferior to us.

We need good and righteous, strong and bold, wise leaders to rise from among us. So where the hell are they?

techno_barbarian on August 28, 2007 at 11:08 PM

jihadwatcher on August 28, 2007 at 10:21 PM

It’s progressing much faster than that…don’t forget, 9/11 was only 6 years ago, and we have gone from rage and vows of revenge to this! At this rate, how long will it be for the progressives to offer to slaughter Jews, apostates, and non-believers to seek favor from the caliphs?

stonemeister on August 28, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Steyn says what I think.

Meanwhile, I kept looking for Colmes to make his GEICO pitch.

petefrt on August 28, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Mark forgot to mention Theo VanGogh.

Jordan Yentsch on August 28, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Mark forgot to mention Theo VanGogh.

Jordan Yentsch on August 28, 2007 at 11:32 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

KCtheKat on August 28, 2007 at 11:37 PM

JWS,

Look, I can understand your frustration, and your point about using anonymous blogs is a good one that I don’t know the answer to.

However, Steyn’s point that if we don’t have the courage to be in the vanguard in fighting censorship and appeasement the war will be lost, is vitally important.

I am far more angry and disgusted at what Steyn calls the “craven” media and political opportunists then I am at the silent moderates, who are understandably frightened by the death and violence perpetrated against private, free speaking citizens.

Imagine what it’s like to live in fear, yet hear the media and politicians repeat the mantra, day in and day out, that there’s nothing to worry about, that (other than a few cave dwellers) the enemy is a figment of your imagination? How does one summon up the courage to fight under those circumstances, where this sort of bizarre alternative reality has been established?

And I say this as someone who is quite swayed by Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s argument that there is no such thing as moderate Islam, and that Islam is incompatible with America.

Buy Danish on August 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Steyn is way wrong in his last statement. It’s not that they can’t keep taking offense at every little thing, it’s that we gotta stop giving a shit if they do take offense.

p0s3r on August 28, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Consider the Craig case. Under shari’a law the question changes from “Should he resign?” to “Should he die?”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 29, 2007 at 12:37 AM

I hope that Fox has got the idea that an awful lot of people don’t appreciate the yell fest were everyone is talking over each other and the best shouter wins (Geraldo hint hint).

If I were the Pres. I would like Steyn as an adviser, he’s right just about all the time.

Speakup on August 29, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Who else here remembers The Chi-Lites? Their song,
“There Will Never Be Any Peace,
Until God Is Seated At The Conference Table” keeps coming back to me.
Mark Steyn’s great book, “America Alone” paints a dismal picture of the future if populations trends continue. I think Mark would be right, but I expect that God has plans for man more than man has plans for God.
If you are anxious, worried about the future, read Psalm 37 followed by Psalm 2. Then have a good night.

Doug on August 29, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Islam: Boo.

MSM: puddle of pee.

The Treason of the Pseudo-Intellectuals.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2007 at 1:36 AM

Again, wtf is a moderate muslim?

That’s such a good point and it bears repeating.

The moderate Muslim lives on the fabled “Arab Street.” That is, it’s not a real person; whenever anyone mentions it, it’s a white non-Muslim referring to some phantom creation into whose mouth they can put their liberal, Western ideas. It’s like the “black friend” white people create when challenged that they’re racist: “No, I have lots of black friends!” You know, that black guy we sort of know.

The surveys seem to suggest that the true moderate Muslim isn’t planning to blow anyone up, but then again doesn’t have strong feelings if someone else does it.

In that light, moderate Muslim is little comfort.

saint kansas on August 29, 2007 at 9:37 AM

I have to commend my local fishwrap, the Staten Island Advance for publishing the cartoon in its Sunday funnies. Haven’t seen or heard any backlash yet.

But the New York Daily News chickened out and printed another Opus cartoon.

Cowards.

Mommynator on August 29, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Again, wtf is a moderate muslim?

A Muslim who’s faith is weak.

CliffHanger on August 29, 2007 at 10:01 AM

I started off with a natural distaste for Allan Combs but as the years have past I realized that in many cases Allan is just doing the job that he gets paid very well for.

If you watch closely you’ll see a certain lack of conviction in some of his counter-point positions.

I still don’t like him much but I’ll never call him stupid.
Keep up the good fight Mark Steyn

Ernest on August 29, 2007 at 10:29 AM

JayHaw Phrenzie on August 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Newsday is my hometown fishwrap.

I’m a redstater trapped in a blue state body. Think they’ll pay for my relocation?

Gonna contact my local GLBT center and ask.

JiangxiDad on August 29, 2007 at 10:37 AM

I for one, I am tired of being kicked around. Let’s show CAIR we care by sending them a CARE package of those, now famous, soccer balls in boxes with the pictures of those who lost their lives on 9/11.

MSGTAS on August 29, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Steyn was spot on, as usual. You see it all the time, with these cartoons, prayer rooms, foot baths, school cirriculum… and liberals like Alan blithely skate by, ignoring it all.

Wake up, Libs; playing by *their rules* (the dictates of extremist Islam), doesn’t work. They don’t think you’re nicer, or more reasonable and they won’t soften. As far as they are concerned, this is for keeps, for their God and religion, and everything else takes a back seat.

linlithgow on August 29, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Steyn: They can’t keep taking offense to everything.

Colmes: They is a very big group of people…

Now what does that schmuck Colmes mean by that? I thought he was liberal, i.e. minority more important than majority. Now “a very big group of people” matter? Why? Because they are part of the Religion Of Peace? Huh? He makes my head hurt.

Sultry Beauty on August 29, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Mark Steyn made a lot of excellent points. Thanks.

Sometimes I think “moderate Muslims” should be called non-combatant Muslims.

Josephine on August 29, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Buy Danish on August 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM

This is America. Why do they have to live in fear? And what are they afraid of? Being ostracized? Being shunned at their mosque? Oh well. I’d tell them to get over it, but would prefer that Islam dies out from merely exposing it for what it is.

Connie on August 29, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Mark Steyn, as usual has a bug up his ass. What an alarmist. Scary muslims are going to get you………BOO!

scooter on September 24, 2007 at 2:51 AM