Officer acquitted of Abu Ghraib charges

posted at 7:54 pm on August 28, 2007 by see-dubya

Lt. Col. Steven Jordan was cleared today of three charges of mistreating detainees. He was the only officer to face criminal charges (although others such as Brig. General Janis Karpinski faced administrative punishment).

Rather than abandon the carefully built narrative that the US government ordered the prisoner abuse in Abu Ghraib, however, Time is trying to salvage it by digging elsewhere and looking into some private contractors. Chin up, liberals–maybe they’ll find a way to tie them back to Cheney and Rummy, though I doubt it.

_________

One of the most difficult things for me to accept about the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 was that two people, three if you include Michael Fortier, could carry out such a heinous crime on their own, without direction from higher up. I had held out hope that the confessions of Khaled Sheikh Mohammed might reveal an Al Qaeda angle behind such an abomination. But despite confessing to many other plots and crimes, he never mentioned Oklahoma City. I won’t say I believed that with any degree of certainty, but I would certainly have been eager to believe new evidence that suggested it was true.

I think it’s a telling distinction between the right and the left: I was eager to believe the worst about Al Qaeda. The Left is eager to believe the worst about the United States and the way it wages war.

It’s funny, because I actually believe a lot of bad stuff about our government, too: for example: war profiteering occurs, they pander to interest groups on the border issue, and a lot of them are just arrogant creeps like Larry Craig. Part of being a conservative, after all, is a fairly pessimistic view of human nature and of government–we’re flawed and imperfect and must build our institutions to allow for the imperfectibility of man and man’s achievements. But while I am saddened, though not surprised, to find out bad things about our government and the people that run it, I find myself very hard to convince of the worst.

Vile things happened at Abu Ghraib. But why do they need a Vast Right Wing Conspiracy behind it? Some weird, kinked-out people were left unsupervised in charge of some prisoners they were told to hate. That’s more than enough, as a psych professor discovered back in 1971. What they did is their fault–theirs and their immediate commander for failing to restrain them. They can’t undo the damage they did to America’s reputation, but the guilty have been identified and they’re being punished.

The Abu Ghraib blame game ought to have been laid to rest by now. The reasonable leads are drying up. But there remains a bitter core of leftists who want to see this connected to America’s military culture and the Bush administration, and there are plenty of bitter-ender journalists who are eager to help them–instead of doing their best to exonerate the country from this tired, ugly slander.

Comments

Not really. Some Iraqis got embarrassed and scared. Oh well. No matter what, Bushitler is covering it up. There’s a conspiracy under every rock and behind every tree.

Liberals sound so much like your average guy in the Arab street it’s scary.

PRCalDude on August 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Great post, see-dub! I’m glad the officer was cleared criminally, though I still hope those who did that stuff at Abu Ghraib are punished appropriately.

As to the corruption of Government… who’s surprised? We need to clean house.

Vanceone on August 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM

And they’ll never let go.

JammieWearingFool on August 28, 2007 at 7:59 PM

“One of the most difficult things for me to accept about the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 was that two people, three if you include Michael Fortier, could carry out such a heinous crime on their own, without direction from higher up.”

This is one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard. Shame on you.

Fertilizer
Fuel
Drums
Matches
Truck
Map of Oklahoma

BOOM!

Heck, I could have pulled that off. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist.

SoulGlo on August 28, 2007 at 8:07 PM

I’m also glad this soldier is cleared,but democrats
won’t give up.

Remember the libs method of operation,its not the charge.
It’s the seriousness of the charge.That way they spin it
for their own cause,and their cause is that the Military
is bad.They don’t care if the soldier is innocent or guilty.
Just the perception of something might have happened,like say the accusation of someone flushing the Koran done the
toilet that never happened.

canopfor on August 28, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Shepard Smith just reported the verdicts on the Fox Report, and he melodramatically (but then, it’s Shep, and melodrama is his bag, baby) read the charges out one by one, followed by “Not Guilty” each time. He was in such a snit over Jordan being acquitted that he was practically hissing.

ReubenJCogburn on August 28, 2007 at 8:24 PM

One of the most difficult things….

SoulGlo on August 28 2007 at 8:07PM

According to a woman news reporter from Oklahoma,
she was on CoastoCoast radio show and claimes that
there was ME men invovled,with connections to Irag.
And Mcvie made a phone call to some ME bomb maker,after he
did the deed.

canopfor on August 28, 2007 at 8:30 PM

what about the third terrorist? at ok city? I haven’t heard of Jayna Davis being discredited yet.

jp on August 28, 2007 at 8:36 PM

What about the third terrorist at Oklahoma….

Jp on August 28,2007 at8:36PM.

Jp,Jayna Davis is that her name.What is the connection about
some Republican guards managing properties in Oklahoma.

canopfor on August 28, 2007 at 8:51 PM

This is one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard. Shame on you.

SoulGlo on August 28, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Is that some brilliantly subtle sarcasm, or what?

I had a feeling that was the Stanford Prison Experiment before I clicked on that link. Human nature can be a scary thing.

BadgerHawk on August 28, 2007 at 8:55 PM

SoulGlo on August 28, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Nevermind.

BadgerHawk on August 28, 2007 at 8:57 PM

canopfor on August 28, 2007 at 8:51 PM

jp on August 28, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Have you ever wondered about those who were convicted in the Abu Ghraib are liberals or conservatives?

Liberals mistreating prisoners, perhaps? And conservatives, I donno, until the Larry Craig thing came along, I’m inclined to believe conservatives might just wanna have some afternoon delight.

Kini on August 28, 2007 at 9:19 PM

ReubenJCogburn on August 28, 2007 at 8:24 PM

I can’t stand the guy . He’s no better than Geraldo.
Another one I can’t take is that actor Bill Hemmer.
Fox is losing it’s Fair and Balanced beat to Drudge.

When O’Reilly goes away, Fox will have nothing but losers.

Hannity not included.

Texyank on August 28, 2007 at 9:43 PM

I’m still waiting to see what atrocities occurred at Abu Ghraib. So far, I saw a listing of college hazing, typical locker room humor and a few faux discomfort scenarios. This was a canard from the get go.

MNDavenotPC on August 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM

now where does col. jordan go to get his reputation back???????????

C