Video: Olby defends Vick with a symphonie du facial tic; Update: Video fixed

posted at 9:48 am on August 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

I had to watch this three times before I kind of figured out what he was saying. The first time I was too distracted by his spastic head-shaking and the second time I got caught up in his bizarre “if you hate Vick, let him play” argument.

Actually, I’m still not sure what he’s saying. I think he’s saying that Vick is being punished disproportionately compared to the other miscreants in the league and that if you really want to punish him then the worst thing you can do to him is let him remain eligible so he can go panhandling around the NFL for a job. Really? That’d be a harsher fate than, um, banning him for life?

Watch this and tell me it’s not the direct outcome of Olby thinking, “I need to say something strong and stirring about Vick for the halftime show but I don’t. know. what.” Don’t worry, buddy — the facial tics say what the words cannot. Click the image to watch.

Update: Damn, the video’s not working. YouTube has been wonky all morning. I asked J$ to send me the clip so I can put it on Sevenload instead. In the meantime, stand by.

Update: Here’s the video. Thanks to J$ for hooking us up.

Comments

Sheer genius putting this boob on before SNF. At least it will allow me time to check my picks before settling in for the games at 8:15.

Exit question: What’s the name of the insane asylum he’ll inevitably wind up in?

JammieWearingFool on August 27, 2007 at 9:53 AM

This guy’s 15 minutes are up.

doufree on August 27, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Dang, I cannot get the video for some reason.

allrsn on August 27, 2007 at 10:03 AM

The thing about the Mike Vick case that turns m y stomachis not Mike Vick. It is a Sports sommunity and an american culture that can excuse spousal abuse repeatedly but dog fighting is the unforgiveable sin? You have to be kidding me.

Lawrence Phillips was able to beat his girlfriends face in and leave her to die in a pool of blood in the lobby of her apartment building and still take the field for Nebraska.

You know those metal mailboxes in the lobby of most apartments? Well Lawrence Phillips smash one of those with his girlfriends face. The mailboxes looked as if they had been hit with a crowbar. I did not know a womans face could do that. Tom Osborne should answer for that, but all of the hard charging sports radio shock jocks never got around to it…

The whole episode is disgusting.

Theworldisnotenough on August 27, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Olby did his usual except he left off:
“And now it’s time for a Speshul Koment”.

p0s3r on August 27, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Could you have swamped this site already?

And another thing, common sense tells me I’m not alone, but rather, I am part of the 99% of America that is never, ever exposed to this schwanzlicking nitwit leftist, except when I come here.

Exit Questions:

a. why not leave this turd to fester in the anonymity that he so richly deserves?

b. don’t you triple his total media exposure every time you link to his sad and pathetic antics?

Jaibones on August 27, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Hey thanks, AllahP, I got caught up on some scores. What? You mean there was something else going on in that clip. Sorry I didn’t notice.

KelliD on August 27, 2007 at 10:14 AM

This is evidence of yet another very common distinction between liberals and conservatives.

A liberal will look at a situation (especially if it involves a minority or some group they perceive as oppressed) through the filter of moral relativism, and then twist and turn and twirl and spin some pseudo-logical argument why something isn’t wrong … or is, at least, no more wrong than some other thing (always something done by their ideological opponents).

A conservative looks at this … and says: “Man … that’s just wrong!”

All the difference in the world between the two approaches. Here’s a hint for liberals: if you have to work that hard to find the moral equivalence … just ask a conservative. He’ll already know if its right or wrong. And be willing to say so.

Professor Blather on August 27, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Can’t get the vid either.

Limerick on August 27, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Actually, I’m still not sure what he’s saying. I think he’s saying that Vick is being punished disproportionately compared to the other miscreants in the league[edit]

Shouldn’t the comparison be his fellow less famous and less wealthy co-defendants? Unless he has an example of another NFL player who’s copped to killing and abusing dogs?

Asher on August 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I didn’t know about Phillips, not being a football fan. However, murderers often start out torturing and killing animals and if anything is good about this is we have a ‘head’s up’ on this sick you know what.
As far as Olby goes, let’s just imagine his spastic schpeel if Vick was a white man. I would be just as outraged, but he would be much more so.
No, Keith baby, I don’t want him out soon, I don’t want to see his scary face ever again. That’s the problem with the media-it’s sick fascination for sick people.
Yes, Olby is the worst bottom feeder in the world.

Christine on August 27, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Wow, TWINE, it’s been a while since there was a sports figure in trouble and somebody brought up Lawrence Phillips in order to bash Tom Osborne. Do you work for 60 Minutes?

It’s been over 10 years. Let it go. I think we’re talking about Michael Vick here.

If it would make you feel any better, I’m sure that since Tom Osobrne is a Republican, if you would bring the subject up with Olby he’d be happy to go on a tear about him. Just ask. Nothing more relevant to Vick’s current NFL situation than a 10-year-old college football controversy with a coach who’s now retired.

Darth Cirrocu on August 27, 2007 at 10:19 AM

xit question: What’s the name of the insane asylum he’ll inevitably wind up in?

JammieWearingFool on August 27, 2007 at 9:53 AM

The names of all Rehabs, Detox Centers, and Mental Health Facilities shall be referred to as “Wispy Pines.”

kiakjones on August 27, 2007 at 10:19 AM

I agree, Jailbones. Using Hotair to attack Olby, just lifts his profile. Hotair should only bring to attention leftist idiots that are already known. That is, if Hotair is to be a force for good.

I never heard of one Keith Olberman, nor been exposed to his propaganda, until I came here.

jihadwatcher on August 27, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Yeah, I don’t get it either.

I think he’s saying that Vick is being punished disproportionately compared to the other miscreants in the league…

That’s what he gets for messing with dogs. I take it that Olbermann doesn’t understand the dog angle… take that for what it’s worth.

DaveS on August 27, 2007 at 10:22 AM

So Olby is saying the court of public opinion, executed by the NFL, serves more justice the the courts of the land.

Spirit of 1776 on August 27, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Vic doesn’t need a job…he’s still worth millions and can live great for the rest of he’s life.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on August 27, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Olby is a decaying leftist moron . . . but he fits in quite well at MSNBC.

rplat on August 27, 2007 at 10:26 AM

The video just reminds us that Olberdork thinks he’s making perfect sense while proving to those of us who have at the very least a modicum of intelligence what a complete moron he is.

Kowboy on August 27, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Agreeing with Jailbones too. I consider Olbermann’s significance on a par with Pee Wee Herman or Tiny Tim tiptoeing through the tulips. Ignore him.

Jeff on August 27, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Darth Cirrocu on August 27, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Topic sentence Darth… My point is there. Phillips is merely one example. The most eggregious I could think of at the time. Address my point of spousal abusers getting probation and a little counselling but dog fighting is off limits. Address that.

Theworldisnotenough on August 27, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Jeff on August 27, 2007 at 10:28 AM

You do a great disservice to Tiny Tim and Pee Wee by equating them with Olberman.

SouthernDem on August 27, 2007 at 10:30 AM

jihadwatcher, jeff: I sent out the invites, set the table and forgot to cook dinner. The vid finally came up and so I watched it. I missed the facial tics, and I found his commentary inoffensive, if otherwise irrelevant.

Yawn. Nothing to see here, folks. Let’s move along.

Jaibones on August 27, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Were Collinsworth and Costas making fun of Olbermann during the halftime show? “I’ll bet it beat 60 minutes” and “how many more people do we need?” seemed like swipes to me.

That aside, Olby made a decent point that Vick was getting bad advice from his lawyers and agents. He should cop to everything now and spend time rehabbing his image. Regardless, he’s still the most overrated QB I’ve seen.

Krydor on August 27, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Address my point of spousal abusers getting probation and a little counseling but dog fighting is off limits. Address that.

Theworldisnotenough on August 27, 2007 at 10:29

I think that’s the two America’s thing John Edwards was talking about. One insane, the other using bandaids.

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Sorry…I watch or listen to NOTHING obejerk is in or on…

areseaoh on August 27, 2007 at 10:39 AM

And if you hate George Bush, you should want to punish him with having him run for a third term, begging Americans for his job! Right, Olby?

Really? The guy was on ESPN’s SportsCenter for like, ever before moving to the “newsroom” at PMSNBC, and he’s a nutroots favorite. Ratings-wise he’s kicking the crap out of Chris Matthews, though that is admittedly not a very high hurdle to clear.

Pablo on August 27, 2007 at 10:41 AM

I think this might be a “city people” vs. everyone else kind of thing, Pablo. Although if the metros are more likely to know about Olberdouche, wouldn’t he be getting better numbers?

Jaibones on August 27, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Never really understood how sports journalist could be libs. Rush L. says they all are.

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Regardless, he’s still the most overrated QB I’ve seen.

Krydor on August 27, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Careful, here. This has been done before, and it doesn’t go very well.

Hell with it: the Bears made him look quite average the last time they played, and they usually make quarterbacks look like the second coming of Montana.

Jaibones on August 27, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Jailbones,

Vick had a stellar receiving core and decent RB’s, yet still managed to account for most of the offence. Single look then run, unless Crumpler was open. Feh. Whatever he’s worth, he’s overpaid and overhyped.

I’ll betcha the Falcons have a great year sans Vick.

Krydor on August 27, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I’ll betcha the Falcons have a great year sans Vick.
Krydor on August 27, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I’ll take that bet! Of course, it wouldn’t matter so much with him anyway.

SouthernDem on August 27, 2007 at 10:58 AM

ALERT: Vick to make at statement around 11:30 AM EST

TheBigOldDog on August 27, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Regardless, he’s still the most overrated QB I’ve seen.

Krydor on August 27, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Yup….and San Diego’s STILL grinning over trading their #1 draft pick (Vick) for 1st and 2nd rounders (Tomlinson and Brees).

PatrickS on August 27, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Why does anyone watch this jerk? I cannot for the life of me understand why he is even on the air.

katieanne on August 27, 2007 at 11:05 AM

PatrickS on August 27, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Amen. Don’t forget Eli Manning.

Chargers are looking pretty good this. As a fan I am pleased yet cautious, we are still talking about Norv Turner.

Theworldisnotenough on August 27, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Amen. Don’t forget Eli Manning.
Theworldisnotenough on August 27, 2007 at 11:11 AM

How could I? That translated into Phillip Rivers and Shawn Merriman. Oof.

PatrickS on August 27, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Can’t get what this fool is getting at.

Is it that Vick, looking for a job, will be booed, and that’s enough punishment?

Vick should be cleaning SPCA kennels for many years as his community service.

And no further public notice or career in football.

Let him know one millionth of what his helpless “pets” felt.

profitsbeard on August 27, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Olby’s premise is wrong. It’s “if you hate Michael Vick”. Well, I don’t hate Micheal Vick, but I hate the crime. Just like I didn’t hate OJ, but I hated the crime.

Olby’s got way too much hate in him.

swami on August 27, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Theworldisnotenough

If the game this weekend is any indication, Norv still sucks. Only Norv can take a decent core of players and utterly destroy their will to play.

Don’t ask me, the Raiders fan, ask those poor buggers in Washington.

Krydor on August 27, 2007 at 11:21 AM

When I flipped on NBC just after 7 last night and saw OlberDouche’s leering grimace, I was convinced that somebody at the network must’ve accidentally tapped into the PMSNBC feed. That was enough for me to turn the channel and avoid NBC for the rest of the night (not a Steelers or Eagles fan).

Can’t wait for the ratings – did the 60 Minutes rerun beat him?

Lurking Vet on August 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Me thinks if Vick were of a pallid complexion or even (gasp!) an outspoken conservative, that fool’s segment would have instead linked him with BusHitlerCheneyHalliburton and dubbed him “Worst Person in the World”

Brat on August 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Lets see: In India, eating cows is a crime, but here we eat them all the time. In Asia, Dogs are eaten as food and puppies are a delicacy.. Not bad tasting but not to my liking. Snakes are religious symbols, but yet, eaten regularly throughout the world. Do I think dog fighting ( a sport in other countries) is okay? NO. Do I raise dogs for food? NO, but I do eat cows. Societal issues are just that. Vick, the *rick, deserves to be ostracized, perhaps jailed for a time, but not to the extent our MSM is carrying on.

Bob67 on August 27, 2007 at 11:27 AM

What the hell difference does it make whether somebody hates Michael Vick or not when we’re talking about the punishment give to one who pleads guilty of a criminal act? Does Olby understand that the judge will sentence according to what the guidelines are for punitive measures taken against someone who engages in interstate commerce to promote dogfighting, regardless whether that individual plays pro football or not?

radjah shelduck on August 27, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Bob67 on August 27, 2007 at 11:27 AM

The issue here is not killing animals per se, it’s torturing them and taking great pleasure and making money from it. It is inhumane. It would be almost as bad had he been torturing cows or snakes but to do it to “Man’s best friend” makes it even more nauseating.

TheBigOldDog on August 27, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Bob67 on August 27, 2007 at 11:27 AM

That’s because our MSM has turned into the annoying, over-dramatic, gossipy, self-overrated busybody type that nobody can stand….except themselves.

PatrickS on August 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM

What the hell kind of incoherrent rant was that?! This is a guy trying way to hard to have something interesting to say and failing badly.

Kendrick on August 27, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Kendrick on August 27, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Heck, all you have to do is search around SI.com for proof of that. Usually once every month or so they mention how “reprehensible” Rush was for calling them out on McNabb, all while pining for the next “miracle” black QB. Last year was especially pathetic, and more than proved Rush’s point. Miami was a lock to win the Superbowl with Culpepper at QB (and we saw how that turned out), then McNabb was once again “on track to fufill his destiny” (see Culpepper, above), and then they finally settled on Vince Young being annointed the Savior of the NFL. Rediculous, and did nothing but prove Rush’s point.

You’d think that experienced football anaylists would realized that pocket passers (no matter the color) win Superbowls, not mobile QB’s (no matter the color).

crazy_legs on August 27, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, I can answer that: “Uh…what?”

BigOrangeAxe on August 27, 2007 at 11:51 AM

i do not understand that and now I wonder why I ever semi-liked him on ESPN. I think this was his ‘sucking up to the race baiters’ quota like all good liberals go through to prove that he’s not as raaaaaaacist as those republiKKKans

Defector01 on August 27, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Does anyone doubt that Olbermann’s career will end in him doing something off the wall and being sent to the joint himself? There’s something REALLY off about this guy… he’s like the lunatic in the beginning of a movie, before he fully goes over the edge.

RightWinged on August 27, 2007 at 12:06 PM

crazy_legs on August 27, 2007 at 11:48 AM

*gasp!*

You mean, like Warren Moon???

(Hey, he may not have won a SB, but he was a pocket passer. Run & Shoot, Baby!!!)

Miss_Anthrope on August 27, 2007 at 12:08 PM

The most definite of indefinites? Genius.

This guy’s career is in his larynx not between his ears.

When a NFL quarterback was exposed as being involved in one of the most despised acts possible, I thought that’s the end for that guy nobody will dare defend that.

Guess I underestimated just how low the excuse bar could go.

Liberals apologizing for dog fighters, islamofacists and child molesters, if you don’t think America is being turned into Sodom and Gomorrah don’t worry idiots like Olberman will apologize for that too.

Speakup on August 27, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Theworldisnotenough on August 27, 2007 at 10:29 AM

I think you just created both a red herring and a straw man in one paragraph. Well done!

How about you address the actual issue – unless you can point us to someone actually saying “wife beating is okay, but dog fighting is not.”

Can you point to that post? Can you point out which one of us feels the way you seem to think the whole world – well, except for wonderful old you! – feels?

How’s this? I think anyone guilty of any act of violence towards anyone or anything or any creature, anyone convicted of a violent felony (and maybe most or all people convicted of non-violent felonies) should be banned from professional sports. They should also be publicly flogged and shat upon every third Tuesday at noon.

Got it? Does anyone here disagree with my statement?

Now, my appropriately named narcissistic friend, if anyone does disagree – if they really embrace that big straw man of yours – go argue with them.

If not, drop the self-righteous intellectual dishonesty.

I look forward to that “wife beating is swell” post or link or something. Mmm-kay?

TheBigOldDog on August 27, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Exactly what he said. And I’ll bet if you ask BigOldDog, he’s also opposed to wife beating. Go figure.

Professor Blather on August 27, 2007 at 12:26 PM

jihadwatcher on August 27, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Sure … but Olby is *so* damn entertaining.

If I ran this place, I doubt I could resist posting about him, either. He’s too amusing. And just too easy of a target.

Professor Blather on August 27, 2007 at 12:28 PM

“The hell of incarceration, the hell of a 2 year suspension….”

Someday, Olby will tell us about the hell of being him.

BacaDog on August 27, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Lets see: In India, eating cows is a crime,
Bob67 on August 27, 2007 at 11:27 AM

No, it’s not. There are thousands of slaughterhouses in India.

In Asia, Dogs are eaten as food and puppies are a delicacy. Not bad tasting but not to my liking.

That’s a pretty disgusting thing to say, but I guess it’s a “logical” extension of the “They shoot horses, don’t they?” line of reasoning.

Perhaps jailed? Regardless of your desire to defend “societal issues” (??) does the fact that he broke the law count for anything?

John from WuzzaDem on August 27, 2007 at 1:02 PM

I was looking forward to seeing these facial tics, but I seemed to have missed them. Perhaps I was blinking and twitching at the exact moment that he was, I don’t know.

jihadwatcher on August 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Watched him and Suzy Kolber(wow, still have a crush on her) on espn sports center early, mid ’90, don’t remember him being a wacko back then, actually liked to watch their(probably Suzie’s) analysis. No doubt about it what ever loony bin (con)Vick ends up in Olberdud should be his roomy.

oldernslower on August 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Actually, I’m still not sure what he’s saying.

Really?

Kini on August 27, 2007 at 1:50 PM

The only thing the Olberdouche managed to do was prove that Limbaugh was right, all the liberal sportscasters have been demanding for years to have more black quarterbacks in the NFL. Any black quarterback in the NFL will be praised as the next big superstar and hyped up as much as possible by liberal sportscasters, and now, Olberdouche has shown that the the lib sportscasters are even willing to accept a guy who slaughters dogs just because he’s black and they want more black quarterbacks.

forged rite on August 27, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Also, Olberdouche’s complaint that there are worse people in the league, like Ray Lewis, is laughable. The reason there are worse people in the league is because liberal sportscasters like Olberdouche have been saying for years that the only thing that matters is what players do on the field, it doesn’t matter what they do off the field. Listen to them talk about Bonds, They basically say, yeah he used steroids, but you can’t take his accomplishments on the field away from him. Same for O.J., yeah he killed two people, but he still deserves to be in the hall of fame. Ever wonder why the Dallas Cowboys became the laughing stock of the league under Barry Switzer? It’s because Switzer is a democrat who held the view that it didn’t matter what the players did off the field. That’s how you ended up with the Dallas Cowboys, once known as America’s team, becoming the team Leno made prison jokes about and Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders doing their “it’s hard out here for a pimp” routine.

forged rite on August 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Wow. I just really don’t understand how or why that guy thinks the way he does.

thareb on August 27, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Wow. I just really don’t understand how or why that guy thinks the way he does.

thareb on August 27, 2007 at 2:56 PM

One more thing. Michael Irvin has a job as an analyst at ESPN, Deion Sanders has a job as an analyst at CBS, and now Barry Switzer is going to be on the Fox pre-game show and Olberdouche is on the Nbc pre-game show. So all these people who have helped make the NFL the scum league it is today have prominent jobs in NFL sportscasting, while Limbaugh gets fired for pointing out the truth about these a**holes. If Olberdouche wants an annswer as to why people like Ray Lewis are allowed in the league, there it is.

forged rite on August 27, 2007 at 2:57 PM

A heartfelt message from one miscreant to another, eh heir Olberdouche?

…birds of a feather flock together

SilverStar830 on August 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I think Vicks punishment is wayyy too disproportionate to what he did. He will probably spend more than a yr in jail, he has lost at least $50 million. At what point has he paid enough, for all you holier than thou people who have never done a bad thing in your lives.

Chudi on August 27, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Chudi on August 27, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Try more like he lost $150 MILLION. Yeah, that’s right, One-Hundred-Fifty-Million-Dollars, and he blew it on a few thousand dollars worth of dog fighting and bankrolling illegal gambling.

How the hell can you possibly see Vick as the victim? He lost all that career money because VICK HIMSELF, along with professional sports and a sports equipment sponsor layed that loss on him, not society. Society is going to give him a jail sentence within sentencing parameters, as layed out by law, so unbunch your undies.

Pro Sports has to have some sort of code of ethics, and Nike reserves the right to hire and fire whomever the hell they want to for any reason they deem fit. Michael Vick’s a hood rat, and Michael Vick’s reaping just what Michael Vick has sown… no more, no less.

SilverStar830 on August 27, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Roger. Goodell.

There’s a new Sheriff in town. Wait and see how it plays out.

Malpaso on August 27, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Chudi on August 27, 2007 at 3:53 PM

How the hell can you possibly see Vick as the victim? He lost all that career money because VICK HIMSELF, along with professional sports and a sports equipment sponsor layed that loss on him, not society. Society is going to give him a jail sentence within sentencing parameters, as layed out by law, so unbunch your undies…Vick’s reaping just what Michael Vick has sown… no more, no less.

SilverStar830 on August 27, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Oh, come one! Do you really think “Chudi” (if that is in fact his/her real name) is interested in common sense? I doubt it.

John from WuzzaDem on August 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Was KO as concern about the future of the Duke Lacrosse Players?..who were falsely accused by rape by a unstable women who just happen to be the right PC color for a Dem. DA to use their case to help him win re-election with help of Black voters..if I recall KO pretty much ignored the story because the DA was a Dem.

mlong on August 27, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Wow…if I hear what Olby is sayin – as doofus as it it sounds –

he basically wants Vick to remain in the public eye so he’ll have something to talk about in a couple of years!

That’s whacked.

Wind Rider on August 27, 2007 at 5:32 PM

holier than thou people who have never done a bad thing in your lives.
Chudi on August 27, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I think I can speak for the holier than thou people…I don’t remember us smashing several dogs head against a tree to kill him, I don’t remember killing any dogs for sport. I don’t remember gambling on the death of dogs, I don’t remember cheering and sponsoring wanton killing of dogs. Us holier than thou people can rest smugly that we have not been butchers of dozens of dogs in the most heinous way, and the while profiting from that sick, twisted, “business”. And you feel sorry for him because you can relate to that? You have done things like that or you see yourself in his shoes? Killing and maiming dozens of dogs, covered with blood, collecting money? How fortunate for you that you can relate…us holier than thou can’t.

right2bright on August 27, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Olby is Fat. I mean fat-fat. Like, if I saw him, i’d hey “Hey you. Yeah you. You’re fat!”

VolMagic on August 27, 2007 at 9:42 PM