Talkin’ baseball with Andy Rooney: Today’s stars “are all guys named Rodriguez to me”

posted at 3:00 pm on August 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

A silly gotcha but Noel Sheppard is right, of course — had this come out of Sean Hannity’s mouth, the left’s phony outrage would be incandescent. The supposed racism here lies in how perilously close it skirts to saying “they all look alike to me,” but that’s not what he’s on about, I don’t think. He’s simply trying to say that he can’t keep track of the players in the league the way he could when he was younger (neither can I, for that matter) and to illustrate the point he reached for the most common baseball surname he could think of. There are, in fact, a ton of guys named “Rodriguez” in the league; nineteen to be precise, two of whom are the very best in the world at their respective positions and the third inching his way up to that same status. Rooney’s sin, such as it was, was to adorn a dismissive generalization with an example involving a minority. How “racist.”

Besides, even if his intentions were bad, he’s got three layers of Absolute Moral Authority insulation — he’s a liberal, he’s older than time and therefore either a “product of his generation” or senile or both, and no one takes him seriously anyway. That last one worked like a charm for Paris. Why shouldn’t it work for Grandpa Simpson?

Comments

Did you ever wonder why CBS keeps me on ?

William Amos on August 27, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Did you ever wonder why CBS keeps me on ?

Uhm, are you Katie’s toyboy?

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Too fill a quota?

Tyrs Fury on August 27, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Did you ever wonder why CBS keeps me on ?

Because somebody there thinks ‘crotchety’ means something different than what it really does?

James on August 27, 2007 at 3:19 PM

I am so sick of the double standards. Rooney should have been gone a long time ago. It’s embarrassing watching and listening to him.

katieanne on August 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Uhm, are you Katie’s toyboy cheif rival for the bottom of the ratings?

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM

fixed

William Amos on August 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Obligatory…

/Starts at about 01:30.

Bad Candy on August 27, 2007 at 3:28 PM

He’s still alive? I thought he died a while ago from a heart attack after whining his damn head off about how dental floss doesn’t taste as minty as it used to.

MadisonConservative on August 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Sort of my point about Bill Moyers yesterday.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM

William Amos on August 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM

my faucet is leaking.

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 3:30 PM

senile penial

Kini on August 27, 2007 at 3:31 PM

MadisonConservative on August 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM

hahhaahahahahhahhahahhahaahahahhaha

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Oh, yeah, taking the Mets as an example, by my count, there are 5 pitchers with Hispanic background, along with 7 position players and another 6 on the disabled list.

The Mets have the best record in the National League.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Alex Rodriguez is a Republican. He supported Bush and now he supports Guiliani. That’s probably what has Rooney so upset.

forged rite on August 27, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2007 at 3:33 PM

yeah but the Mets still suck

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Alex Rodriguez is a Republican

No wonder we were treated to that stuff about his “date” with a woman he wasn’t married to.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2007 at 3:38 PM

That wasn’t a date. That woman was just there to polish his bat.

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 3:39 PM

That wasn’t a date. That woman was just there to polish his bat balls.

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Maybe it’s satire. That seems to be a popular defense these days.

Thomas the Wraith on August 27, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Baseball’s Latin invasion began in the 1950′s, back when Rooney was just starting to collect SSI.

Sure, many more now, but baseball fans don’t care as long as the guys wearing their team’s uniform are winning.

As a Yankee fan, they could suit up 25 transgendered purple frogs and it won’t bother me for a second as long as they beat the Red Sox.

JammieWearingFool on August 27, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Ivan (EE-vahn) is still one of the best in the world? Eh, debateable. The fact that he’s still as productive as he is after having caught, what – 1300+ games? – is very impressive, I admit.

RyanOH on August 27, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Ugh, no one is an MST3k fan here?

Bad Candy on August 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Why are you giving this amnnoying old coot blogspace?

Mazztek on August 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM

What’s that they say about all brown cats looking the same in the dark?

JammieWearingFool on August 27, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I’d be more inclined to agree if we weren’t 7 games back

RyanOH on August 27, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I’m more impressed by his ability to get off the juice injury-free and undetected…allegedly. (Still 1st ballot HOF, though, and quite possibly the GOAT catcher by the time it’s all said and done.)

Kid from Brooklyn on August 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM

I can remember feeding the animals, putting away the carriage for pa, and then the whole family gathering around the boob tube to watch Andy, and all have a good hearted laugh with his witty observations. He was about sixty-five back then and spry.

That was years ago, even before the car was invented. Now the old gas bag is a million years old and cranking out at everything, like the grouchy old man on SNL.

“We used to ride a barrel down the snowy hill with nails sticking out of the planks with no gloves and blue fingers, and get them splinters in our teeth and the rusty nails would cut our necks with arteries squirting blood, and we liked it. We loved it!!!”.

Hening on August 27, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Andy Rooney is a peace of work. In some ways he is brilliant in others he is a commie loon.

The funniest parities of him I’ve seen are here

TheSitRep on August 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Ugh, no one is an MST3k fan here?

Bad Candy on August 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I am, but I’m at work on a government computer so I don’t clicky. I’d rather keep my access to HotAir.

James on August 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Funny. Yesterday I went to an Astros game and saw a guy named Wandy Rodriguez pitch.

Mike Honcho on August 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM

He’s much more entertaining when he’s in drag at his day job with the White House press corp.

Never seen him and Helen Thomas together have you?

Brat on August 27, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Rubber sheets…..check.
Nose plugs……..check.
Latex gloves……check.
Lysol………….check.
Ok is everyone ready to go to grandpappys?

It is the same ol Rooney double standard. It was OK for Franklin, Harry, and Ike because we were ‘right’ thinkers in those days. Those days….aw yes…those…….days……zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Limerick on August 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM

James on August 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM

You’re excused. Do you remember the Andy Rooney-off? Their topic was soup, and they all had the big goofy Andy Rooney brows?

Bad Candy on August 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Is he Mickey Rooney’s father?

fogw on August 27, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Ugh, no one is an MST3k fan here?

Bad Candy on August 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I AM!

kiakjones on August 27, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Why shouldn’t it work for Grandpa Simpson?

Leave me alone! I’m an old man who hates everything, except MATLOCK. Hey, it’s on now!

peski on August 27, 2007 at 4:28 PM

It’s déjà vu all over again for Rooney.

Wasn’t it not too long ago when he pointed to the disproportionate blacks in the NBA and NFL then slammed the NHL for not having any?

Andy has got to turn up the oxygen on his breathing apprentice because not enough of it is getting to his brain.

pocomoco on August 27, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Oh good Lord, faux outrage abounds. Ridiculous.
Had he said “a bunch of Mexicans named Rodriguez”, then go for it; otherwise, pfffft.

SouthernDem on August 27, 2007 at 4:42 PM

So if there are 19 players in baseball named Rodriguez, then that means there are 1,181 players in baseball who aren’t. I think Mr. Rooney should do some more research next time.

SoulGlo on August 27, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Just as an interesting aside, Andy Rooney says in his autobiography that he was a communist before WWII. Whenever I see him on 60 Minutes, I can’t help but notice he has that old Gus Hall dishevelled Bolshevik look.

Tantor on August 27, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Ever notice that Andy Rooney looks like he was standing right behind some guy who ignited a fart and the flaming gas blew into Rooney’s face?

radjah shelduck on August 27, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Someone hire a logging company to trim Andy’s eyebrows.

infidel4life on August 27, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Love me, love me, love me, I’m a liberal!” as one of their suicidal folkies sang.

Good thing he’s too doddering to worry about.

If Ted Nugent said this there’d be marches tomorrow.

profitsbeard on August 27, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Hey, Andy, listen! Nobody at CBS is suppose to tell you this, but…well….you see….you actually died about three years ago. It’s just that no one over there thought it would be a good idea to tell you at the time..you know…poor ratings and all that hassle Rather caused with those fake Air National Guard papers, and…well, you understand. But hey, now that the truth is out, the good news is that you can finally go lie down. But management did want to remind not to forget to leave your bathroom keycard with security first.

pilamaye on August 27, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Rooney’s act should have reached its expiration date a long time ago.

Hilts on August 27, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Seems like he flunked Latins.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 27, 2007 at 11:22 PM

I agree that Rooney is long past deserving airtime. I also agree that the left would have made more out of this had a conservative said it. But on its own merits, the guy began by saying he wasn’t a baseball fan. He wasn’t using the “all named Rodriguez” line to explain or prove his disinterest, so there’s no racism involved. If his current impression of baseball is that there’s a great many latino players, then that’s his impression. A personal observation doesn’t require factual accuracy, and he’s allowed to make such comments, being a commentator. It doesn’t compare to Imus because what Rooney said didn’t impugn the lifestyles of those players.

I’d be more inclined to agree if we weren’t 7 games back

Make it 8 after the 16-0 drubbing by Detroit. ;-)

SoulGlo on August 27, 2007 at 4:49 PM

It should be 731, not 1,181. Thirty teams, 25 players per roster, that’s 750 active Major Leaguers at any given time. The forty-man rosters that would give your 1,200 players include 15 per team who are actually still in the minors, or on the disabled list. But if you’re going to include ANY minor leaguers, you might as well include them all, since that too is professional ball. And in that case, probably more than 19 named Rodriguez. In other words, get your research right if you’re going to flame someone for lack of research.

Freelancer on August 28, 2007 at 7:55 AM