Fred thinking about October now?

posted at 7:08 pm on August 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

Who knows anymore? An Indianapolis TV station says he told them the announcement would come in “either September or October.” He told Politico today, though, that he expects September to be a big fundraising month, which pretty clearly suggests he’s planning to announce in the first few days. The only thing I can think of to explain him holding out October as a possibility is that he still doesn’t have things together organizationally — a theory supported by the fact that his campaign lost another top staffer today. Romney supporter Dean Barnett crows that the wheels are coming off this bus, and fast. Are they? Politico:

[S]ome operatives close to the Thompson campaign continue to express concern about staff turmoil and organizational shortcomings. The rumblings are raising questions more broadly among Republican insiders about whether Thompson has the discipline and zeal to wage a winning campaign — much less craft a message that can distinguish himself from the current crop of GOP contenders…

A Thompson source, requesting anonymity to speak candidly, voiced concern that Team Fred is still not ready for a the pressure cooker of a presidential campaign.

“There is no question that from a political standpoint, the testing-the-waters committee is right where it needs to be,” this person said, “but from a personnel standpoint, it’s a completely different story.”…

Asked if the installation of Bill Lacy, Thompson’s close friend and the strategist from his first Senate race, had brought order to the operation, the Thompson source said, “It hasn’t yet.”

Follow the link to Ambinder’s site up above and you’ll see that the staffer Lacy fired today was hand-picked by Jeri, suggesting that her allegedly tight hold on the campaign is going to loosen up pronto. Barnett agrees with the CW expressed by Politico’s source that a campaign in disarray is not the hallmark of a competent chief executive, but I think the ludicrous hype Fred himself has nurtured by flirting with conservatives for so long is as much to blame, if not more. Here’s what Politico’s been reduced to by way of discerning his intention. It’s the print equivalent of an O’Reilly body language segment:

For the interview, Thompson sported a navy three-button, pin-striped suit without the tie he’d don later for his address to the Midwest Republican Leadership Conference. He was friendly enough in offering a seat — “We got it all warmed up for ya” — but didn’t seem overly enthusiastic when answering the obligatory questions about his state of affairs. He wasn’t overly defensive in tone, but neither did he seem to get terribly animated about much of anything.

One other tidbit from Politico: a campaign source tells them Fred is almost a definite no for the Fox debate on September 5. You’ll recall that Chris Wallace had been told to expect him there. Why on earth would he miss an opportunity that sweet to introduce himself to the public?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh yeah, and to echo other enlightened Democrat sentiments on this thread;

Go Giuliani in 2008!!

awake on August 27, 2007 at 11:01 PM

Fixed that for ya. No charge.

Hollowpoint on August 28, 2007 at 2:34 AM

I am getting tired of this too… If he cannot organize a campaign, how can he organize the executive branch of government?

Get a move on Fred! Dump the crapheads and get with it.

With that said, I vote in local and state elections only if Rudiani is nominated. President-in-Drag turns my stomach.

saved on August 28, 2007 at 7:11 AM

The guy is full of Hot Air.. (pun intended)

Viper1 on August 28, 2007 at 7:50 AM

Oh gee zuss. America is not going to elect Grampa over Hillary. Just won’t happen. Keep your day job, Fred, please.

Halley on August 28, 2007 at 9:47 AM

I’m going to hold off on judgement in regards to Fred’s delayed announcement because, to me, it depends upon why he’s doing it. That we cannot tell yet. If csdeven is correct and the delay is an attempt to scrounge up campaign dollars only to pass them along to his son then thats bad. If right2bright happens to be correct and Fred is holding off on his announcement for strategic reasons and he’s letting the other candidates get beat up by the media then that’s good. If the delay is due to incompetence, dysfunction within the campaign, lazyness, confusion, lack of preparation, etc then that would be bad. There is no way, though, for us to determine from here what the reasons for his delay are. We can only guess at this point. In my opinion it is unwise to rule out or fully endorse any candidate based on nothing more then guesses and assumptions. When the true reasons for the delay are revealed we will know all we need to know about Fred. Evidently, we are just going to have to wait.

For what its worth, I hope he is involved in the Fox debate. I’m looking forward to his first debate. Honestly, I’m more concerned with Fred’s performance in his public appearances I have seen so far then I am with the fact that his campaign is taking longer then others to get involved. If he cannot improve his speaking performances then the general election is going to be very ugly. That’s what I’m worried about with Fred.

Zetterson on August 28, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Fred’s inability to get a campaign off the ground makes me really doubt his ability to be president. Maybe he needs to stick to captaining aircraft carriers.

Ernest on August 28, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Ernest on August 28, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Fred only looks organized when under direction. If for some reason he wins the primary and general (God help us), his first act will to be create the “Director of Presidential Direction,” whose job will be to make sure Fred always looks and sounds good when he’s making stump speeches or speaking from the oval office. He’ll also have the “Director of Presidential Lighting” and “Director of Presidential Camera Crew.” All we the people would have to put up with in a Fred Thompson Presidency is complete and total indecision and utter incompetence, but at least he’ll sound smart doing it.

BKennedy on August 28, 2007 at 12:37 PM

OK, I called the FEC. ((800) 424-9530) Any monies left over from freds? “testing the waters” non-campaign can be given to the party, refunded, or he can start a PAC and hire his entire family and pay them huge salaries.

Hmmmmm. Well, we know what he did last time he teased voters for several months before dropping out.

csdeven on August 28, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Tell me what your first instincts are when you read this quote:

“He was often described as lazy, “just an actor,”

—————————————————–
HMMM…. Who could they be talking about?
Now read this-It will only take a few minutes and it’s worth reading the whole thing in my opinion. Check out the date as well. I got the above quote here:

Funny how history can repeat itself…

Nelsa

Nelsa on August 28, 2007 at 7:06 PM

There is no reason for Fred to declare with the candidates self destructing. He doesn’t have to do anything when you have foolish people campaigning.

right2bright on August 27, 2007 at 11:38 PM

———————————————————–
Fred has shared the lead in the polls with Rudy since June.
Yesterday he pulled closer to Rudy even after all the negative press. I believe that Fred is the only “candidate” that has led Rudy in the polls EVER.

Even as an unannounced candidate, you can’t ignore what people think. They think Fred is the real deal.

When and if he does get in, Rudy will have a LOT to worry about…

NELSA

Nelsa on August 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM

That Fred? would even give Michael Moore the time of day speaks volumes to me that he’s not ready for primetime. If it were me, I’d have just told the press, when asked anything Michael Moore related: “Who? Never heard of him.”

BKennedy on August 28, 2007 at 1:07 AM

B Kennedy? You sound more like Ted Kennedy frankly. Whining and carping, ranting and raving. I wonder if you can give one LEGITIMATE, issue-based reason you do not support Fred Thompson?
Here is a hint for you. The fact he is an actor does not qualify sparky. Neither does the fact that he, GOD FORBID, has not announced according to your schedule. Neither does the fact that he chose to respond, in a very classic fashion to Michael Moore.

Gatordoug on August 28, 2007 at 10:26 PM

It should be noted, I feel anyway, that Fred himself has never ever said he will announce then backed out. Other people have made predictions, other people, including some here, have seen fit to want to rush him into announcing.
Thompson has been quite consistent, and frankly unconventional, I like that. I am damned tired of these cookie-cutter politicians, who sound like they are reading from a script when they talk.
Call me nuts, but I like individualism and originality. Yes, I support Fred Thompson, I think he is the real deal. Of course I like Romney too, and Huckabee as well. I wish Hunter or Tancredo had any shot at winning, but they do not.
The only candidate I do not like is Giuliani, he is no Conservative, pro-abortion, pro-gun control, pro-illegals, not too mention a sorry excuse for a husband, and YES, YES character does matter to me. Sure he is better than Hillary but anyone is better than her.
With all that said, I see Thompson as a man who can reach the base and crossover voters as well. America is sick of politicians, take a gander at those approval ratings, Thompson does not present himself as a politician, that is a huge draw.
Anyway, that is my take.
Go Thompson and Go Gators!!

Gatordoug on August 28, 2007 at 10:39 PM