Fred to announce on video? Update: Bring on Hillary, say GOP activists

posted at 1:47 pm on August 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

Such is the state of his non-campaign that this actually qualifies as news, never mind the fact that Hillary’s already blazed this trail:

Fred Thompson’s decision to announce his presidential candidacy with a video was suggested by Newt Gingrich, who is also considered a possible contender.

Former House Speaker Gingrich has indicated he will run only if Thompson does not, or his late-starting campaign crashes and burns. Actor-politician Thompson plans to follow the model of Democrat Hillary Clinton by launching his campaign with a video, followed by a fly-around to several cities.

Chris Wallace told Kilmeade and Napolitano yesterday that Fox was told to expect Fred at the September 5th debate they’re sponsoring, which is right around the time it’s been rumored he’ll declare. Figure his campaign will post the video announcement early on the 4th followed by the obligatory old-folks-at-home public announcement in Lawrenceburg that afternoon, and then on to the debate. Huckabee put it well this morning on Wallace’s show: “People are expecting him to basically come in and be the fifth head on Mount Rushmore.” Ari Fleischer expressed the same sentiment yesterday, albeit less elegantly. If he disappoints at the debate, he’ll be on thin ice fully one day into his campaign. Huck and Romney will probably go right after him to try to take him out early and keep the field clear for a social-con death struggle between them down the road. I wonder what Rudy’ll do.

The video’s smart thinking for a guy who’s already vowed to make his campaign Net-centric: he needs to get people in the habit of checking his site and a video splash on announcement day is a shrewd way to do it. More intriguing is the fact that the idea comes from Newt — the second time in a month we’ve had a report of a Thompson/Gingrich connection. If Fred does win, Newt’s going to turn up somewhere in his administration. Reason enough to give him serious consideration.

Update: Our best chance next year is a lesser-of-two-evils pitch and grassroots Republicans know it. Which is why they’re pining for big evil on the other side.

Asked if Clinton being the nominee would improve his party’s chances both nationally and in Indiana, Howard County (Ind.) GOP Chair Craig Dunn got excited. “Absolutely, absolutely!” he exclaimed animatedly, grinning widely. “We’ve never elected a president of the United States who started off with 45 percent unfavorable ratings!”…

[W]hen Duncan wrapped up his treatment of the Democratic presidential hopefuls, it was only Clinton that he admonished for being “one of only 22 senators to vote against [Supreme Court Chief Justice] John Roberts” and trying “to block” Samuel Alito’s Supreme Court nomination. And only she, as Duncan told it, “blasted the Supreme Court decision on partial-birth abortion.”

“It’s amazing,” Duncan concluded, “Hillary and her Democratic competitors have made their position clear — they’re running for MoveOn[.org] and not for America.”…

Back in the conference room, it was much the same message. “As Hillary Clinton becomes the nominee,” projected GOP pollster B.J. Martino of the Tarrance Group, pointing to charts and graphs, “Republican intensity will simultaneously spike.”

Comments

I’m alone in my office on a Sunday afternoon. Somebody hug me!

RushBaby on August 26, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Sigh…

He’s had the longest running non-official campaign I’ve seen is recent history.

StoutRepublican on August 26, 2007 at 1:56 PM

If Fred gets elected President I bet he doesn’t take office until 2010.

Rosetta on August 26, 2007 at 2:01 PM

SoutRepublican,

Well, the reason it such a long running non-official campaign is because the others started so early. We haven’t even gotten to the primary and I’m already sick of hearing about all of them.

terryannonline on August 26, 2007 at 2:02 PM

It actually hasn’t been that long. It’s the whole messianic buzz around him. Kerry took even longer getting in in 2004 but he was never more than one of the pack. This is Fred teasing things out to generate buzz.

Allahpundit on August 26, 2007 at 2:02 PM

He’s had the longest running non-official campaign I’ve seen is recent history.

StoutRepublican on August 26, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Actually, I think Hillary has a few decades on him.

Weight of Glory on August 26, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Just keep eating your own folks.

OrthodoxRobert on August 26, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Rosetta? Are you the Rosetta from AoS? If you are, where the f*ck have you been? We’ve been wondering where you went for ages!

Bad Candy on August 26, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Rosetta on August 26, 2007 at 2:01 PM

If Fred gets elected President I bet he doesn’t take office until 2010.

As opposed to what? Hillary trying to take office in 2006 that she hasn’t even won yet? Is there something wrong with waiting until the traditional time to announce? Just because Hillary and Obama started campaigning a year and a half early doesn’t mean that Fred has started late.

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Allahpundit on August 26, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Yeah, but the way the process is running this time around, I dunno what waiting does.

Bad Candy on August 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I will be glad when he gets in. Then all the whiners can stop crying about his “taking soooo long” My God! Talk about pathetic!
I will also love it when he gets to debate. Finally a real Conservative with a chance to win in November 2008. I sincerely hope he shreds Rudy “I am a real hero” Giuliani in the next debate!

Gatordoug on August 26, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Is there something wrong with waiting until the traditional time to announce?

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 2:10 PM

There’s nothing wrong with it, per se, but this is not a traditional election cycle – seeing that it is a totally clean field running (no sitting Pres/Vice Pres).

It might be politically smart to wait and save money and avoid mistakes, but it’s a rough game, since it’s easy to tick off a constituency, especially if they get the feeling they are being toyed with. But, the future will tell how smart of a tactic it is, this time.

You’re right, dorian. Compared to the Dems it doesn’t matter, but compared to the other Republicans it does, and Fred is WAY late.

I liked Fred and I’m tired of him, already. But … we’ll see.

progressoverpeace on August 26, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Bad Candy on August 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I take the wait as a sign that he’s serious about running. After all, he has to have campaign apparatus set up in all the states. Can you imagine what it takes to get all those people and facilities organized? This way, when he announces, the effort is set up properly to support his candidacy.

RushBaby on August 26, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Bad Candy,

Ha! Yes, it’s the same Rosetta. Did I miss anything fun?

Rosetta on August 26, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Dude, its AoS, yes you missed fun! Seriously, people have been wondering where the hell you’ve been, you just kinda disappeared!

Where have you been?

Heh, I have my own blog now too, you can click my HA profile name. I’m sinistar BTW.

Bad Candy on August 26, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Don’t worry kiddos….January will be here before ya know it. We will have Candidate D and Candidate R to focus on for eleven LONG months.

Limerick on August 26, 2007 at 2:30 PM

progressoverpeace on August 26, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I guess thats why this is the only time in US history that the presidential race has started so early right? The only people who “feel they are being toyed with” are the political junkies of the blogshpere. For the rest of the country this isnt even a blip on the radar.

I liked Fred and I’m tired of him, already. But … we’ll see.

Yup, he’s so late that even unannounced he is running at a bare minimum second behind Rudy.

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 2:31 PM

What the hell?!
Is it just me or has HA just “fixed” this page to disable copying and pasting?

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:34 PM

I simultaneously got pissed that Ace’s retard comments kept going on the fritz and I got unusually busy with life for while.

Maybe I should show up and start flaming indiscriminately.

Congratulations on the new blog! And thanks for telling me who you are. Sinistar I know. Bad Candy sounds like something Perverted Justice would use. Haha.

Rosetta on August 26, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Is it just me or has HA just “fixed” this page to disable copying and pasting?

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:34 PM

LOL. I thought YOU were supposed to be the fix-it guy!

RushBaby on August 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Let’s hope that when all of the Republicans debate, there’s not a bloodbath. No need to send a savaged, wounded candidate up against an already-leading, rested Democrat.

I would, today, accept a Thompson-Giuliani ticket (yes, Thompson as the lead) or Thompson-Gingich.

Rudy, at lead? That’s a bit troublesome, given the gun control Rudy’s supported. I don’t know if I would feel comfortable giving much support to a loose plank from the other side of the aisle…

Serr8d on August 26, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I liked Fred and I’m tired of him, already. But … we’ll see.

Tired of what? His not announcing according to your schedule? Tired of his not announcing when Robert Novak said he would? Come on!

Gatordoug on August 26, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Heh, actually I used to have a Halo profile where I used the pill for my emblem on a Legendary run(still uncompleted), and thats where the name Bad Candy came from, and no, I never played XBOX live.

You oughta comment at my blog, just so people know you’re alive, Ace’s comments are less wonky now then they were, but my comments are pretty reliable of they fail. I’m hoping Ace moves to mee.nu soon.

Bad Candy on August 26, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Is it just me or has HA just “fixed” this page to disable copying and pasting?

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:34 PM

It is, but only for you…….

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Is it just me or has HA just “fixed” this page to disable copying and pasting?

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:34 PM

It’s just you. (I copied and pasted that.)

The Monster on August 26, 2007 at 2:43 PM

It more than troubles me. A man who does not respect my right to self-defense and the Second Ammendment likely does not respect the rest of the Constitution either. He SUED gun manufacturers. Can you say judicial activism?

Gatordoug on August 26, 2007 at 2:45 PM

RushBaby on August 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM

That’s my comment name… but you’re very funny.

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:47 PM

It’s the whole messianic buzz around him.
Allahpundit

That messianic buzz hasn’t been heard for about a month.
The noise you are hearing is the creaking of his knees.

Stephen M on August 26, 2007 at 2:48 PM

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 2:31 PM

You’re probably right about that. I was just opining on the possible downside of his strategy.

progressoverpeace on August 26, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Fixed. Stupid ‘Fn’ key.
Back to my regular program…

This is Fred teasing things out to generate buzz.
Allahpundit on August 26, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Freddie boy has teased sucked the life out of his MO.

He has overstayed his pre-campaign visa, and he will be extradited to Honeymoon Island where he is to retire with the babes.

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:53 PM

It is, but only for you…….
doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 2:42 PM

The one time you are funny….

[Sigh]

There is hope in the world.. I was prepared for doom and gloom.

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 2:55 PM

There is hope in the world.. I was prepared for doom and gloom.

Oh fear not my star traveling ever ingenious friend, when Fred is nominated you shall find your fill of gloom and doom…

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Dunno if you’re still floating around here Rosetta, but I responded to you at doubleplusundead, you oughta check it if you haven’t.

Bad Candy on August 26, 2007 at 3:08 PM

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 3:06 PM

At least I’ll know who to blame

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 3:09 PM

The world’s smartest woman said this:

There are circumstances beyond our control, and I think I am better able to handle things that I have no control over.

She said it just before she made her comment that Republicans would benefit from another terrorist attack…. Yep. That’s what living with Bill will do to ya.
Randy

williars on August 26, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Randy

Sounds like Hillary has been taking advice for Miss Teen South Carolina

Gatordoug on August 26, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Sounds like Hillary has been taking advice for Miss Teen South Carolina

Gatordoug on August 26, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Or giving said advice…

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Or giving said advice…

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 3:18 PM

That could be too, If Hillary looked like Miss South Carolina she would be a shoe in

Gatordoug on August 26, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I’m actually pulling for Hillary to win the nomination too.

Not necessarily because I’m looking at all of her negatives, and thus think she’ll be easier to beat.

Rather, it’s the sad reality that of the major Democratic candidates – and I’d rank those as being her, Obama, Edwards, and – if he runs – Gore – she’s actually the least awful out of a disturbingly terrible group of Democrats.

Vyce on August 26, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Vyce on August 26, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Agreed 100%

RushBaby on August 26, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Riiight, riiight.. yeah….
so why don’t you run AP?

Or for that matter let’s endorse Paris Hilton.. she is much less evil than Hillary.

Or even our resident doriangrey…. hell, let’s have a grassroots nutroots methane gas energized campaign for “whoever”, all of which will be less “evil” than Hillary.

You are making it too easy, AP.

But I have to get ready for work where I make the real money.

Good-bye.

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Or even our resident doriangrey….

Mcguyver on August 26, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Oh noooo you dont…Dont even suggest that again in jest, the very last thing I want is a job where no matter what you do half the people in the country hate you and the other half are plotting against you…

Thank you very much but I’ll stick to playing guitar and ranting on blogs where the worst that ever happens is someone who disagrees with something I post gets even with me by posting a bad review to my mp3 site.

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 3:38 PM

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Actually, Thompson’s “late” announcement is only aggravating the political PUNDIT junkies. The media have created from whole cloth this whole idiotic pre-primary primary campaign. And Fred’s “late” announcement is an affront to absolutely no one except the people who idolize the media figures who tried (and failed) to gin up some interest in this utterly pointless premature dog-and-pony show.

The people who are serious about politics (including most people who are regularly active in primaries) aren’t phased in the slightest. It’s sort of like the difference between real stock market investors and the sheeple who put their money into whatever some plastic-haired shyster on TV tells them to buy RIGHT NOW.

logis on August 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Most people have no idea who Fred Thompson is, unless they watch middling t.v. dramas. (Or are political junkies.)

It’s all Thompson’s to lose, because none of the other candidates have caught fire yet with the people.

(After GWB’s flaccid energy level, I think a more dynamic personality is desired than Fred has exhibited to far.)

profitsbeard on August 26, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Well, heck (’cause it’s Sunday), Hillary’s been running ever since she found out that she’s not as dumb and good looking as Miss Teen South Carolina, and perhaps thus misanthropic. Might not be messianic, but it’s a loooooooooong time! Americans don’t like that in people. Too ambitious, too power-hungry and too conniving.

Mentioning the Fred/Newt connection, once again the media don’t know much, as most of the time. They only know one thing for sure – whom they wish to be elected. Proof positive:

Fred! / Newt ‘08 would be great if Newt weren’t so politically radioactive.

omnipotent on June 3, 2007 at 3:27 PM

…and if they weren’t both from the South. One will be ridiculed enough. Two will be impossible to accept, and strategically not too smart anyway. Though I can see Newt playing a big role in helping Mr. Thompson formulate and disseminate big ideas. His brain is not doubt the greatest and he doesn’t come across like a perpetual nag and lecturer.

Entelechy on June 3, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Entelechy on August 26, 2007 at 4:46 PM

This must be a big decision for freddie boy. He can either run for president and give up $3.4 mil that he could funnel to his family through a PAC, or he can drop out, look like a bigger crook than he does now, but he gets to funnel $3.4 mil to his family.

What to do, what to do.

I suppose he can run until just before nomination and then drop out and funnel the bucks to his family.

csdeven on August 26, 2007 at 5:12 PM

csdeven on August 26, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Hi CS, I thought you would be dropping by for a little piece of the Fred…I’ve been counting the minutes ;-)

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on August 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM

I don’t know about it being the longest running non-campaign in “recent” history — didn’t Cuomo do something like that (albeit he never ran). It got to be a big joke.

meep on August 26, 2007 at 5:39 PM

For better or for worse, that’s going to be the entire focus of this debate. Fred better step up hard.

The Newt connection has me as interested as anything else about Fred.

C’mon Huck!

MT on August 26, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Next week, we will have the Official Announcement that three weeks from the day of the Official Annoucement, a forthcoming announcement will be announced, announcing that we can expect an Official Announcement that will be the announcement of the next Official Announcement that will announce…..

Fred, why not just simply say that sometime between now and the collapse of Western Civilization, you’ll make up your mind?

pilamaye on August 26, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Fred Thompson probably was waiting to get the all clear from his doctors before announcing. So is he going to announce or what? Well like we say in Jersey ‘forget about it’ no Fred really forget about it!

sonnyspats1 on August 26, 2007 at 6:47 PM

pilamaye on August 26, 2007 at 6:47 PM

He has already said that he will formally announce in Sept.

When asked if Sept. 5 would be his announcement date, Thompson said he couldn’t say that, but “sounds like you’re in the neighborhood.”

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 7:18 PM

I’m glad that Fred is getting in the race. A lot of folks want to hear what he has to say and yeah, he had better come out strong and old school conservative or he’ll see his numbers drop instead of rising.

Buzzy on August 26, 2007 at 7:37 PM

So I guess the debate is that the campaign season has started too early and Fred is to be criticized for not joining a process that most agree has started too early?

I am surrounded by idiots.

Weber48IDA on August 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM

I respect Newt Gingrich for his strong grasp of the issues.

But for a Vice-President candidate, how about Fred!!
chose this guy.

ColtsFan on August 26, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Just DO IT already!!! I’m tired of hearing about it!!!

woodman on August 26, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I’m kind of glad Fred has’t jumped in…there has to be someone left I’m not getting tired of..(except for Huck)…I mean this thing is too long already!

CCRWM on August 26, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Having Newt in the executive Branch would be the first thing so far that has interested me about Fred. I’ll say one thing, his hinting around has generated a lot of free buzz for him – he’s in all the polls but hasn’t had to campaign at all.

Dork B. on August 26, 2007 at 9:50 PM

woodman on August 26, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Well you wouldn’t be hearing about this if Shillary didn’t need that extra year of campaigning to even have a prayer in hell of getting elected. Better yet try putting on a pair of reality glasses and remember that this election cycle started a whole fricking year early. Fred is waiting until the traditional normal time to declare, he’s the conservative candidate remember. Your remember that thing about conservatives and their traditional values.

Fred is sending a pretty damn loud and strong message here, traditional conservative values, and he isn’t about to let a bunch of liberals force him to change his values. Anyone who claims to be a conservative and is upset with Fred for not declaring yet has either been drinking the liberal kool-aid and doesn’t know it or is a blogsphere political junkie who doesn’t get away from their computer often enough.

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM

I am (completely) surrounded by no logic idiots.

Weber48IDA on August 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Weber, wanted to get you closer to the “I’m completely surrounded by no beer” from ‘Keeping up Appearances”. Chin up, though. Most Americans have no idea what we pontificate about.

Entelechy on August 26, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Run Fred run! We want lots of face time for Jeri!

Mojave Mark on August 27, 2007 at 12:00 AM

fred? is completely delusional! He believes his own BS! Check out this article where he has the gall to compare himself to real candidates.

“We have done within a few months what other people have spent much longer periods of time doing,”

REALLY fred?? REALLY? Is that why Mitt! leads in Iowa, NH, Nevada, etc and you are sucking hind teat?

fred? is like a AA ball player who brags that he has more homers than a major leaguer! PATHETIC!

He spoke mostly in general terms on serious matters,

Yes. we are used this type of generalization from freddie boy. His groupies lap it up.

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 12:06 AM

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 12:06 AM

I am so going to love drinking beers with you when Fred gets the nomination……Ha ha ha ha ha…

doriangrey on August 27, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Fred is the only “real conservative” if you like your conservatives big on talk and short on action. Nevermind that whole campaign finance reform, faceless washington lobbyist, and Hollyweird sycophant that define him. I would never vote for an actor who is running his character and not himself for president. I’m seriously waiting for Fred to tell us about what he did as DA of New York. His groupies probably won’t realize he only held that position in a storybook world.

We have enough big-talk no action Senators running for President, and Fred is the biggest-talk-smallest-action one of them all. I hope he enters the Sept. 5th debate, gets his clock cleaned, and then when everyone realizes he’s an empty suit he gives up early and spares us his continued fakery. It would be delicious irony if Fred was the most overhyped non-candidate in history.

BKennedy on August 27, 2007 at 2:16 AM

meep on August 26, 2007 at 5:39 PM

I remember Ronald Reagan announcing that he was in the race, at the 1968 Republican Convention. I don’t recall anyone saying he waited to long to announce.

BKennedy on August 27, 2007 at 2:16 AM

It would even be more delicious if he waxed everyone else’s… “donkeys.”

Texas Nick 77 on August 27, 2007 at 6:55 AM

doriangrey on August 27, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Beers, margaritas, 12 year old scotch…any excuse will do for me. lol

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 7:28 AM

I have noticed that Fred supporters and Ron Paul supporters get along like:
Sunni and Shia
Israelis and Palestinians
Irish Catholics and Irish Protestants
O.J. and Nicole

TheSitRep on August 27, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Here’s a snippit from Fred’s speech at the MRLC.

I simply believe that on the present course that we’re going to be a weaker, less prosperous, more divided nation than what we have been,” Thompson told the crowd in a deep baritone that rarely strayed from an even tone. “I do not say that lightly, but I think it’s the truth. And I think the American people are ready for the truth.”

There are three major challenges, Thompson said, and none are being given appropriate attention or sufficient commitment. National security (“our country’s in danger; it’s going to be that way for a long time to come”), the economy (“we are doing steady damage to our economy, that if we don’t do things better it’s going to result in economic disaster for future generations”) and the polarization, cynicism and incompetence gripping the capital (“in order to have leadership you got to have somebody who’s going to follow; our people follow, but they don’t have any confidence in what’s being said or who’s saying it”).

While some want to talk about red pickup trucks and how long it’s taking Fred to announce I would much rather listen to what he has to say and honestly I agree with his assessment of where this nation has been heading. I think we’re going to hell in a handbasket when illegal immigration trumps national security, China holds the paper on our huge national debt, trade agreements have flooded us with poison foods and deadly toys and I honestly don’t have any more confidence in the Bush administration or most of the RNC than I have for the Democrats.

I think that for a candidate to fix these problems they have to recognize the problems and I am waiting to hear what Fred has to offer as to how he’ll fix them. If his answers are good then I’ll support him to the hilt, if not then I’ll keep on supporting Hunter and Tancredo.

Buzzy on August 27, 2007 at 8:58 AM

Buzzy on August 27, 2007 at 8:58 AM

fred? always gives nice speeches when he can prepare them ahead of time. What I am waiting for is to hear him in an unscripted debate against other conservative candidates. I am not encouraged by what I have seen from him in Q&A sessions so far. I am very bothered by his general faker, his lack of executive experience, his history as a scumbag Washington lobbyist, and the funneling of campaign dollars to his family. If he can hold his own in a debate, and if he can give plausible explanations for his general fakeries, that will solve a few problems, but no amount of rhetoric is going to make the rest of that go away.

I hope he gets in before the 5 Sept debate, but again, I am not encouraged by his recent history of playing games with those he expects support from.

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Beers, margaritas, 12 year old scotch…any excuse will do for me. lol

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 7:28 AM

I’ll have a 18 year old single malt if you will be buying. I prefer Glen Morangie aged in port wine casts.

How was the moving, cs?

Texas Nick 77 on August 27, 2007 at 9:42 AM

doriangrey on August 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Thanks for your genuine concern but my glasses are just fine. This has nothing to do with “traditional conservative values”. Being one I should know. He wants the opportunity to comment on everything and not be a part of the actual debates. He likes the benefits of the buzz and hype machine – somewhat faded as they don’t seem to run to him as often lately – but continues to drag his feet.

I am aware that Hillary has never stopped campaigning for President since she was first lady. The entire Clinton presidency was one long campaign.

You’re the one obviously shilling for Fred all over this page with your posts

How about you do this, try not to tell me my opinions, ideas or ideals and I won’t tell you what a sarcastic jerk you’re being for absolutely no reason whatsoever. OK? Thanks.

woodman on August 27, 2007 at 9:47 AM

woodman on August 27, 2007 at 9:47 AM

OK if by dragging his feet you mean he refuses to campaign according to Shillarys rules. If by dragging his feet you mean he refuses to announce far earlier than historically normal. If by dragging his feet you mean by his running his campaign as he the guy actually running thinks he should and not you a guy sitting on the sidelines then ok sure you got a point. If not then the only point you have gets covered up every time you put a hat on.

How about this instead, how about you accept the reality of the fact that you are not running for POTUS and therefore dont actually have any say what so ever in how or when someone who is running will run their campaign. How about you get over your narcistic need for instant gratification and let the candidate campaign according to his strategy.

doriangrey on August 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM

How was the moving, cs?

Texas Nick 77 on August 27, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Moving?

As far as buying goes, we set it up that the winner will buy. AND the more I watch freddie boys non-campaign, the more it looks like I’m gonna be buying lots of drinks!

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

let the candidate campaign according to his strategy.

doriangrey on August 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Isn’t that the point? fred?, according to FEC rules, IS NOT supposed to be campaigning, but as you noted, he really is campaigning. Thus the complaint that fred? wants it both ways instead of running according to the FEC rules. It is also not a badge of honor to cheat the system just because you can. fred? has a history of breaking the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law and there are many of us who expect more from a potential candidate.

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Woodman does have a point, stating as he does that Hillary has been campaigning since Bill’s Presidency for ascension to the POTUS. One could humorously ponder her personal reasons for wanting to be “on top” next time they inhabit the white house, but that would be way off topic.

My point is…Bill Clinton started this.
It took a while for people to notice and start commenting on it, but Bill was campaigning for 96 back in 93. Everything he did was with an eye on how it would either help him, or hurt the opposition (not just those from the other party, either).
Witness the 95 “government shutdown”, spurious as it was, was only done for well calculated PR reasons, not as part of any principles stand against Draconian attacks on the Amercan people by the GOP. Clinton, principled? HA.

At any rate, pundits and wonks were quick to praise the brilliance of this strategy, using the somewhat suspect logic that IF every politician is beholden to their constituents, Then every action of every politician becomes part of the record they will run on in the future, Thus evey politician always does this. Bill Clinton simply did it more brashly and better than the rest.
The spinmeisters sold us this steaming bag, and while middle America may not have bought it, the beltway crowd sure did.
‘Spin doctor’ became the new high priests of politics.
Strategists who set party policy and agendas became back benchers, and have been there ever since.
And so the perpetual campaign goes on, to the point where all of the news networks, Fox and the rest of cable included, stated boldly and in unison, that the race for the white house began the DAY AFTER the midterm elections of last fall!
So when is too early or too late? Clearly, the campaign industry (yes, it is an industry now) has a different answer than the average American does.
And what ever happened to incumbents running on a record of achievement? It seems to have been replaced with running on a record of intentions, where the appearance of doing the work of a legislator trumps the actual doing. Where all of the energy is spent in the aquisition of power, rather than in the wielding of it, once gained.
How many thousands of posts on the righty blogosphere complained of the lack of action on the part of the GOP, despite having the POTUS, Senate, and House firmly in their possession? How many disgusted voters right here on HA stated that the Republicans deserved to lose, as they did nothing with their majorities when they had them? Now the democrats, didn’t they promise the moon and stars, if only they had power, only to do more of the same nothing as the repubs? All sorts of energy spent and no action. All with an eye on the next election.

So, “late” and “early” are ill-defined terms, as is the word “lazy”. We can have several candidates running for president, spending all sorts of energy and cash, or perhaps, one that moves steadily, albeit slowly, towards the same goal, saving that energy for actually doing the work of being president, not just becoming president.

Time will tell, and believe it or not, we still have time before the next election.

OneEyedJack on August 27, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Moving?

csdeven on August 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I thought you were moving a couple of weeks ago. Must be all this smoky air around here.

But I will take you up on the drinks next year. Cheers.

Texas Nick 77 on August 27, 2007 at 1:24 PM

I guess Dorian, you are the only one who can have any kind of ideas on the subject. Please forgive me for actually daring to voice my own thoughts about it. I hope I haven’t offended you in any way. We all bow down to your vastly superior intellect so feel free to tell us what to think and when.

I tell you what, as of right now I am off the sidelines and in the game right now! I formally declare myself a candidate for the President of the United States of America!

woodman on August 27, 2007 at 3:56 PM

My problem with Fred isn’t that he hasn’t announced yet, its that he’s been baiting us for the past couple of months to increase his hype, and he still hasn’t realized that noone cares about his announcement anymore. He missed his window of opportunity. Now all you hear about him is how he can’t keep his campaign staff well-ordered, he’s in a power struggle with his wife, oh, and he might announce by video after labor day. It might have been fine if he started baiting us two weeks ago instead of two months ago, but now he just looks old, tired, and baffled by his own buffoonery. Fred boarded the hype train early but forgot to turn the engine on, and now he’s in the dirt. Noone except the true believers cheers for a man with no sense of timing.

BKennedy on August 27, 2007 at 6:38 PM