U.S. charity to pay for surgery for burned Iraqi boy

posted at 6:44 pm on August 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

Sweet.

The Children’s Burn Foundation — a non-profit organization based out of Sherman Oaks, California, that provides support for burn victims locally, nationally and internationally — has agreed to pay for the transportation for Youssif and his family to come to the United States and to set up a fund so you can donate.

The foundation says it will cover all medical costs — from surgeries for Youssif to housing costs to any social rehabilitation that might be needed for him. Surgeries will be performed by Dr. Peter Grossman, a plastic surgeon with the affiliated-Grossman Burn Center who is donating his services for Youssif’s cause.

Officials are still trying to get the appropriate visas for his travels. Youssif could be in the United States for up to a year for the various treatments he needs…

When informed of the news in Baghdad, Youssif ran around his house, saying, “Daddy, daddy, am I really going to get on a plane?!”

“I feel like I am going to fly from happiness,” his father told CNN’s Arwa Damon, who reported the story on what happened to Youssif.

Here’s the background in case you missed it yesterday and here’s the CBF donation page. Choose “Youssif’s Fund” under the dropdown menu if you’d like to give.

Update: Turns out Dr. Peter Grossman is a miracle worker. Seeing is believing.

Comments

That didn’t take long. Sweet, indeed.

baldilocks on August 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Wonderful news, mazel tov

Defector01 on August 23, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Allahpundit,

Thanks for covering this. I was very touched by the story and the good news.

ColtsFan on August 23, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Awesome!

On-my-soap-box on August 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Dr. Grossman does indeed work miracles. This is wonderful news.

reine.de.tout on August 23, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Great. When I saw the vid yesterday I knew it was only a matter of time before some group of Americans would take care of it. The donations will flow. We’re good peeps.

token on August 23, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Prayers for the little boy, his family and for Doc Grossman to keep his skills sharp and steady.

Big thanks to the Children’s Burn Foundation.

darwin on August 23, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Awesome.

Editor on August 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Yay! Good news for a change!

frankj on August 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM

I spent a little time reading The Children’s Burn Foundation website and they seem like a wonderful organization. I tossed a few bucks in their direction, fast and painless on their website, I hope lots of HotAir folks respond and I’m sure they will.

Youssif is now in good hands, God Bless the Children’s Burn Foundation and Youssif.

Maxx on August 23, 2007 at 7:05 PM

That doctor is the same guy who not only fixed the little girl in the last link, but also basically adopted her.

I can only find it in realplayer link, but here is the story.

It’s a challenge to watch it with dry eyes.

BillINDC on August 23, 2007 at 7:08 PM

When I saw the photo of the kid, I knew he could greatly benefit for plastic sx. However, when I saw the photo of him before he was attacked and saw what a beatiful boy he was, I could have cried. He’s got a tough year a head of him. I hope not only is his surgery a success but he also has some fun in Southern California.

Blake on August 23, 2007 at 7:08 PM

I just saw the amazing transformation of the Iranian girl Dr. Grossman operated on and I am utterly speechless. That girl looked like she had melted and Dr. Grossman made her into a quite attractive young lady. Dr. Grossman has been blessed by God.

EvilRoy on August 23, 2007 at 7:09 PM

And thanks for staying on top of it Allah, I figured a charity organization would step up to the plate and help out, and I figured when they did you would let us know… and you did.

Maxx on August 23, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Great news. Best wishes for the lil’ guy.

I am sure the Human Right’s Groups who look after the well being of mass murders (aka Terrorists) are flocking to help this child and his family.

I am sure Michael Moore is at this very moment making a documentary about the horrors committed by his Minute Men and the good works practiced by America.

Yup. Sure of it.

Montana on August 23, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Every wonderful act like this keeps us that much further from becoming the barbarian abyss that savagely hurt this innocent little boy.

Speakup on August 23, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Thanks for the update. Donation sent!

Hey, AP, you probably don’t want to hear this, but you are doing some of God’s work by focusing on this story. Here’s another little secret, He loves you for it, whether you believe in Him or not.

Keep up the good work, bro. God bless the doctor and this brave little kid.

SailorDave on August 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM

You know, somewhere some backwards Jihadist scum is going to send out a fatwa condemning this boy’s father for consorting with the kufar.

Some cults just need to be destroyed.

BKennedy on August 23, 2007 at 7:18 PM

We are good peeps token, we are indeed. And to think some people say America is broken.

Turns out Dr. Peter Grossman is a miracle worker. Seeing is believing.

Wow.

BadgerHawk on August 23, 2007 at 7:22 PM

When I saw the before, during and after photos of Zubaida, I remembered seeing them before. Young Youssif is in the exact right hands.

baldilocks on August 23, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Dr. Grossman is a miracle worker indeed

Ropera on August 23, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Meanwhile an Islamic charity donates $20,000 to the guys who burned him in the first place.

aengus on August 23, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Keep up the good work, bro. God bless the doctor and this brave little kid.

SailorDave on August 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Agreed. Beautiful story, beautiful child.

hollygolightly on August 23, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Excellent news for this young man. Thanks for posting this update.

Plus a good opportunity to show people in Iraq what America is really all about.

Lawrence on August 23, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Can’t stop crying.
God bless them for the work they are doing for these children.

Stormy70 on August 23, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Hopefully they will cover this story on Al Jazeera.

SoulGlo on August 23, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Hopefully they will cover this story on Al Jazeera.

SoulGlo on August 23, 2007 at 8:26 PM

So far, no.

OT: Back when Tancredo speculated that, were we to be nuked by some Islamic entity, we might consider striking back in kind at Mecca, Al Jazeera didn’t cover that either. (The conservative outcry about that speculation was telling.)

Al J will not cover anything that portrays the West as either strong against Islamists Muslims or benevolent toward any Muslim. That’s just how they roll.

baldilocks on August 23, 2007 at 8:49 PM

$&@# Americans. No wonder they call us the great satan.

Bob's Kid on August 23, 2007 at 8:51 PM

We’re so evil.

Good Lt on August 23, 2007 at 8:57 PM

SailorDave on August 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Amen! Hearty agreement over here.

infidel4life on August 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM

token on August 23, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Montana on August 23, 2007 at 7:14 PM
BadgerHawk on August 23, 2007 at 7:22 PM
Lawrence on August 23, 2007 at 8:15 PM

I’m glad to see all of the above comments. Is it any surprise that out of all the countries in the world, the country that this family reached out to (via CNN) and the country that quickly responded is…

The United States of America

From thousands of people needing help in the aftermath of a tsunami, to one little boy needing help in the aftermath of a terrorist attack, we are the people the world looks to for help, and we respond.

ITookTheRedPill on August 23, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Dr. Grossman has those magic fingers!

Youssif’s recovery is assured.

TwinkietheKid on August 23, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Makes me proud to be one of the good guys.

Kowboy on August 23, 2007 at 9:06 PM

“..Of course we all know if the US wasn’t in Iraq this wouldn’t of happen in the first place because it was a paradise under Saddam..”

The expected typical response from any liberal that hears this story.

mlong on August 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Well duh! This is America. If anyone has the ability and the wherewithal to step up to the plate to achieve the impossible, it is us, embodied in the medical expertise of Doctor Grossman.

I am as pleased as everyone else, but not really in the least bit surprised since I read about Doctor Grossman’s work with burn victims (and Zubaida specifically) last year.

gryphon202 on August 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Hmmm, the donation site seems to be overwhelmed. That’s a good sign.

infidel4life on August 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Hmmm, the donation site seems to be overwhelmed. That’s a good sign.

infidel4life on August 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Yes, I had problems getting to it, too. Very good. :-) I’ll write myself a note for tomorrow.

baldilocks on August 23, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Yup. Sure of it.

Montana on August 23, 2007 at 7:14 PM

WELL SAID! One of my first thoughts was of that beached whale complaining about his own country’s medical care.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, “Never have so many done so much, unselfishly, for so many.”

I am so glad I was born in the land of the Good Guys. Our Good Guys are fighting the Bad Guys and helping the victims all at the same time.

fred5678 on August 23, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Dr. Grossman – Hero. This brought tears to my eyes.

:-) I’ll write myself a note for tomorrow.

Me too.

Topsecretk9 on August 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM

I can’t bear to watch it. That stuff kills me.
I hope the best for the lad.

TheSitRep on August 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM

YEAH FOR YOUSSIF!…….YOUSSIF 08……. RUN YOUSSIF RUN Youssif uses a computer thats pretty remarkable for a five year old. Youssif is so tough that when Fred Thompson opens a can of whup-a$$ Youssif jumps out.

sonnyspats1 on August 23, 2007 at 10:11 PM

I’m so glad this kid is being cared for!

Bad Candy on August 23, 2007 at 10:15 PM

aengus on August 23, 2007 at 7:44 PM

h-

razor! laser! aengus is, as usual, spot on.

Tomorrow when I get to work, it’s buh-bye, PayPal balance.

RushBaby on August 23, 2007 at 10:37 PM

The site is back up now folks.
:-)

infidel4life on August 23, 2007 at 11:07 PM

If this does not show what American fundamental values are about then I don’t know what does.

Godspeed Youssif

F15Mech on August 23, 2007 at 11:21 PM

The expected typical response from any liberal that hears this story.

mlong on August 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Thanks for calling that guy out mlong. Apparently that poster believes in the Michael-Moore-Kite-Flying-Shiney-Happy-People version of Saddam’s Iraq. And I am sure that person also refuses to believe what was happening in Afghanistan under the Taliban or what occurred in Vietnam and Cambodia after the US pull out.

Denial is a dangerous thing. More dangerous than the risks of taking action for what is Right and Good.

The world isn’t perfect, but that doesn’t mean we do nothing.

We must still strive to make it perfect, even if know we will never succeed, and that, I believe, is the key difference between the Capitulating Left and us.

Montana on August 24, 2007 at 1:00 AM

There is no other country on this earth that will stand by her friends as the United States does.

That is until the Dems get involved.

This boy is in good hands now. God protect him and his family.

BobK on August 24, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Update: Turns out Dr. Peter Grossman is a miracle worker. Seeing is believing.

Wow.

That gives me great hope for the little boy.

Esthier on August 24, 2007 at 10:48 AM

WooHoo! Just donated, baby!

Yay for Youssif! We’re rootin’ for ya!

Miss_Anthrope on August 24, 2007 at 11:08 AM

But shouldn’t he be going to Canada? Or better yet Cuba? After all the medical care we have here in the USA is so bad.

/moonbat central

Ellen on August 24, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Isn’t this thwarting the will of Allah?

(I hope.)

profitsbeard on August 24, 2007 at 6:32 PM

I can only find it in realplayer link, but here is the story.

It’s a challenge to watch it with dry eyes.

After drying my eyes, I recalled that the young Afghan girl learned English in ONLY 12 WEEKS!!

If a serious burn victim can do it, why are we wasting so much money on ‘bi-lingual’ education??
Total immersion is the best way to go.

fred5678 on August 24, 2007 at 6:44 PM