Video: Absolute moral authority, pro-war edition

posted at 12:18 pm on August 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

Brand new from a brand new outfit called Freedom’s Watch comprised, per their press release, of Ari Fleischer, several former U.S. ambassadors, and some very, very, very big money. These clips are part of a $15 million ad buy meant to turn up the pressure on Democrats, who are scrambling to “re-frame” the progress in Anbar ahead of Petraeus’s report by conceding the fact of military gains and emphasizing that it doesn’t mean squat politically thanks to the overweening ineffectiveness of the Maliki government. Bush finally joined the chorus on the latter point yesterday, prompting a veiled threat from Maliki that if U.S. pols don’t get off his back, he’ll cuddle up even closer to Iran than he already has. Result: climbdown.

The ads are moving, although the tunnel-vision “encroaching darkness” effect used in several of them is a bizarre touch for a call to persevere. Turn down the volume and you’d swear you were looking at an anti-war spot. I’m not sure how effective the message will be, either: I think the ship has sailed for most of the public on the Al Qaeda/Al Qaeda in Iraq connection they (and the administration in scheduling Petraeus’s testimony for 9/11) are trying so hard to draw. Still very much worth running, though, if only for the outraged cries about emotional manipulation and cynical exploitation of war casualties to come from the Cindy Sheehan fan club on the left.

Comments

Awesome. Good work!

tickleddragon on August 22, 2007 at 12:23 PM

FINALLY!

That is all I can think of right now. Its about damn time we present it this way.

Nice work!

Jeff

dc84123 on August 22, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Those will be hard to ignore.

frankj on August 22, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Won’t change anyone’s mind.

BTW, what was up with the suspicious package found on Seattle ferry headline? I can’t find any news about this anywhere…..

RW Wacko on August 22, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Just heard President Bush’s speech here in Kansas City, a local radio station carried it live. My thought during the speech was “where has this man BEEN?”

JamesLee on August 22, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Boy the Left is going to have a field day with these spots — fear, emotional manipulation, politicizing the war — all from the mouths of the unassailable. They don’t like it when the right uses their tactics.

tommylotto on August 22, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Those ads by the likes of Moveon.org worked in convinced the American public that retreat is the only option.

amerpundit on August 22, 2007 at 12:27 PM

My thought during the speech was “where has this man BEEN?”

Bush is, and has always been, good for one decent speech every 6 months or so. I didn’t see this one, but if its that good then its been about 6 months. That long between effective speeches is typical for Bush, unfortunately.

lorien1973 on August 22, 2007 at 12:32 PM

It blows that these clips even have to exist. I’ve been listening to a lot of old-time radio lately, and between anti-Hitler radio shows are rationing announcements, ads for war bonds, and Orson Welles interviewing volunteers at an aircraft manufacturer.

saint kansas on August 22, 2007 at 12:38 PM

God Bless every one of those families brave enough to weather the coming storm that will be leveled at them in the future by the white flag waving loonitic left.

We all know it will be coming to them soon.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on August 22, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Wow! As I wipe away tears of thanks and patriotic pride, I can’t understand why ads like these have not appeared much earlier…fantastic!

canvas on August 22, 2007 at 12:41 PM

It blows that these clips even have to exist.

That’s pretty much what I thought too.

lorien1973 on August 22, 2007 at 12:46 PM

I don’t give a tinker’s damn about any “ship that has sailed”. This is overdue, well produced and spot on as far as I’m concerned. Where has it ever been written that we pro victory conservatives can’t use the Soros/Move On playbook but even better? Like I’ve said many times; it’s time to get in the dirt and fight back! To my fellow Marines in those pieces I say thank you for speaking your heart and convictions. Compare them to the Moore’s the Olberman’s, the Obama’s and Edwards and, of course, Clinton…. and you see no inkling of honor to the left.

MNDavenotPC on August 22, 2007 at 12:46 PM

May God Bless all those who have sacrificed and served on behalf of our country.

MarkB on August 22, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I just hope and pray these ads are not a case of to little to late…

doriangrey on August 22, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I signed up. I look forward to hearing more from Freedom’s Watch.

Guardian on August 22, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Ari is behind this? Interesting.

The ads will be preaching to the choir, I’m afraid. If the left is anything like me, when an anti-war ad comes on, I turn the channel.

God Bless All who have sacrificed.

Sue on August 22, 2007 at 12:54 PM

It’s never too late to start to fight for real for our world’s survival.

The enemy of Civilization has a 1350 year lead, but we have one advantage that they will never grasp: we can laugh at ourselves, acknowledge our mistakes, and correct them.

They simply enshrine theirs, and call them a religion.

profitsbeard on August 22, 2007 at 12:57 PM

The hardliners won’t be swayed, but there is a squidgy middle out there that’s still open to persuasion. Just the rumors of a positive report from Petraeus have brought a small percentage back to supporting the war in the past month or so. Maybe these ads will bring another small batch of the fence-sitters back and help tip the balance. Bravo to the producers for at least trying. That’s more than Bush seems to be doing–he doesn’t seem to even be trying much anymore to persuade people or defend his policies. I wish he’d at least try.

aero on August 22, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Here is their YouTube site:

bnelson44 on August 22, 2007 at 1:04 PM

I felt like these warriors when I cam home from Viet Nam. Now there are times I wonder if some of the people in this country deserve the freedoms for which so many have fought and many died. For sure they do not understand the terrific price this country has paid for our (and their) freedom.

Every day we must thank the Lord for these warriors and their heroic families who willing pay the costs of freedom.

Wade on August 22, 2007 at 1:04 PM

All that’s left to do now is the side by side featuring Reid, Pelosi, Edwards, Obama, Durbin, Kerry, Gore et al as these videos run.

Somebody pass me the popcorn.

swami on August 22, 2007 at 1:05 PM

“When it comes to protecting our country,” continued Blakeman, “we’ll spare no effort. Our goal is to make clear that when America goes to war, victory is the only outcome. That’s what the troops are saying in these advertisements and what Freedom’s Watch believes. We do not agree with those groups pressuring our lawmakers to abandon victory.” Supporters of Freedom’s Watch include Former U.S. Ambassador Anthony Gioia, Former U.S. Ambassador Kevin Moley, Former U.S. Ambassador Mel Sembler and Former U.S. Ambassador Howard Leach; Dr. John Templeton, Edward Snider,
Sheldon Adelson, Richard Fox, Ari Fleischer, Gary Erlbaum, and Matt Brooks.

bnelson44 on August 22, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Boy the Left is going to have a field day with these spots

The left will use their latest canard, since some of these mention Al Qaeda – that Al Qaeda In Iraq/Mesopotamia is not the “real” Al Qaeda.

Bigfoot on August 22, 2007 at 1:15 PM

Moving. Very moving.

I’d love to give Jessie’s Mom a big hug.

Tennman on August 22, 2007 at 1:19 PM

If the media weren’t so virulently anti military we wouldn’t need these.

Glad SOMEONE finally put them together.

Well done.

One Angry Christian on August 22, 2007 at 1:20 PM

the left will call it more fear mongering.

the messiahs wife will point that out justifying her intro speech the other day.

excellent adds tho much to late as others have said.

palefaced on August 22, 2007 at 1:22 PM

One Angry Christian on August 22, 2007 at 1:20 PM

If the media weren’t so virulently anti military full of traitor and seditionists we wouldn’t need these.

Glad SOMEONE finally put them together.

Well done.

Sorry just had to fix that for you.

doriangrey on August 22, 2007 at 1:24 PM

I am glad I am on their side. Great Americans who will have to endure harsh words from “Americans”. I love them. I am proud of them. They have given more than I have and paid a higher price as well.

They opened a can of whup-as_ and I for one pray that more like them will step up and add to this great beginning!

On-my-soap-box on August 22, 2007 at 1:45 PM

and the administration in scheduling Petraeus’s testimony for 9/11

Allah, the democrats scheduled the date for Petraeus to testify. http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YTU4YWRmZWQ4YjIzN2MwYmU1NmU1ZGIyMGZhODhjOTc=

Complete7 on August 22, 2007 at 1:51 PM

I saw some of the ads this morning (maybe it was the same one more than once) and thought, “We need to have more of those.” I’m glad there will be more!

It’s not too late. It’s never too late!

pugsly on August 22, 2007 at 1:53 PM

pugsly,

Where did you see it?

It would be interesting to know where they are being placed.

bnelson44 on August 22, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Welcome home, Wade. I, too, felt that way when I came back. The thing is, I am convinced that in this country most don’t have an inkling of the true sacrifice. It hasn’t changed. Thank you for your words and service. For that, I’ll give a Semper Fi!

MNDavenotPC on August 22, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Bush’s speech is here if you missed it.

BobK on August 22, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Very well done. I believe it will sway the majority of America, but the kooks on the left are already a lost cause.

Black Adam on August 22, 2007 at 2:56 PM

I’m surprised Sheldon Adelson put his name to this group.

gabriel sutherland on August 22, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Exactly how I feel! I wish I could be in one of their ads.
I got this ridiculous Edwards email today, this man isn’t fit to wipe the boots of our soldiers:

You may have seen Karl Rove’s recent attacks on Hillary Clinton in the news.

This is a page straight out of his tired old playbook—Rove is attacking Hillary Clinton because he doesn’t want John Edwards to win the Democratic nomination.

Rove knows that Democrats will rally around whomever he attacks—so he attacks the candidate he thinks Republicans can most easily defeat.

Apparently I am not drunk enough to understand his stupid logic.

ArmyAunt on August 22, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Absolute moral authority? Not when you are on the right. Watch the left attack these people.

jjjen on August 22, 2007 at 3:12 PM

The ‘response’ will be more 8 year olds telling you the war is bad. More hurricane footage from Chocolate City will be thrown in as a bonus.

Limerick on August 22, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I may be missing something, but are you saying there is no connection or that the American public does not believe there is a connection?

VolMagic on August 22, 2007 at 3:22 PM

How does one express the sense of awe and gratitude I feel that my country produces young men and women like these! Where do these people come from? We owe them everything and cannot possibly thank them enough! Truly an inspiration to any American who isn’t blinded by stupid political quakkery! God Bless each of our men and women in uniform!

sabbott on August 22, 2007 at 3:38 PM

“I’m not sure how effective the message will be….”

Depending on if the local TV stations play them, they could be very effective.

georgej on August 22, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Drudge is linking to a story about it:

Ad Wars Heat Up Ahead of ‘Surge’ Report…

bnelson44 on August 22, 2007 at 4:12 PM

To some…oh ye of little faith…it’s sad to see the doubting Thomas’s here on this board…keep praying and if it’s in his will…it’ll happen.

hotvol on August 22, 2007 at 4:28 PM

I really like these…very well done.

The only problem I see is that the Left will trumpet their ususal “exploiting 9/11” card….or that we’re being “scared” into voting for strong-on-terror candidates.

So as effective and moving as these ads are, they only preach to the choir.

JetBoy on August 22, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Victory is the only option. Hell yes!!! Telling it like it is. This wiil throw the Left into a frenzy.

Yakko77 on August 22, 2007 at 5:30 PM

I liked the last one the best. You could really tell that Ms. Strong was speaking with a lot of emotion straight from the heart.

congsan on August 22, 2007 at 6:21 PM

I have been hearing ads 3 & 4 on Boston talk radio this week. It’s nice to see the ads now.

Laura02420 on August 22, 2007 at 7:15 PM

pugsly,

Where did you see it?

It would be interesting to know where they are being placed.

bnelson44 on August 22, 2007 at 1:57 PM

I saw it on FOX News.

pugsly on August 22, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Boy the Left is going to have a field day with these spots

They’d better tread carefully though, especially those lefties with visibility–opinion pieces on TV news magazines for example. It’s amazing how quickly public opinion can shift. McCarthy was seen as bullying in those televised hearings investigating communism in the Army–and there was a big sucking sound of his career going down the toilet. Another example–after Arafat walked out on the Wye Plantation talks (where Clinton was lusting mightily after his legacy) and started the second intifada, the sucking sound was the Israeli peace movements numbers going from in the thirties (percent) to under ten.

Among pols, I’ve got my money on Kerry being the first one with a bad case of foot-in-mouth. He’s always good for that sort of thing. Second place–the Silky one.

Among pundits–Olby will be first, but then, no one is watching.

smellthecoffee on August 22, 2007 at 11:32 PM

WOW the mom is the perfect anti Cindy antidote. Mixed emotions of anger, sadness and pride. The cut and run Dems are heartless.

sonnyspats1 on August 23, 2007 at 1:00 AM

pray for all these families.

good truth