Headline of the day

posted at 3:33 pm on August 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

Lifted wholesale from Ace, who seems to think the sacred magic of the newsroom should render it immune to partisan hackery. Not so; in fact, the holy man responsible for that description specifically allowed for bias so long as it’s in service to the, ahem, “facts”:

It’s not about “balance,” which is a false construct. It isn’t even about “objectivity,” which is a laudable but probably unattainable goal. It is about independent thinking and sound, facts-based journalism — the difference between what we do and the myopic screed that is passed off as “advocacy” journalism these days.

Sound, facts-based journalism:

abc-vietnam.png

Not only is it misleading on the merits — Bush said Iraq will be like Vietnam if we pull out, not that it already is — but it brings in the second story about casualties to reinforce the false analogy. Although, in fairness, they’re not trying to mislead; they’re simply making a cutesy-poo hack partisan comment by playing games with the headline to reflect their own view. Like the man says, “it isn’t even about ‘objectivity.'” Scare quotes his.

I was going to link the Newsbusters punchline to this but I’ve stolen enough from Ace that I’ll make you get it from him instead.

Update: Here’s how I’d write the reverse: DEMOCRATS SEE NO COMPARISON BETWEEN IRAQ AND VIETNAM.

Comments

Wait…there IS such a thing as sound, fact-based journalism?

Sad thing is, just the other day I bumped into a friend I’ve known since I was four, who just finished her masters in journalism, and she’s 100% indoctrinated. Fine to talk to her about some things, but politics and world events and journalistic credibility…the blind faith is just stunning.

MadisonConservative on August 22, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Oh the power of PrtScn.

– The Cat

MirCat on August 22, 2007 at 3:44 PM

I’m surprised that the MSM would play up that particular part of the speech.

/sarc

saint kansas on August 22, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Subtle. Our news media at its finest.

Next headline with photo: Bush says I Am the Dark Lord, admits US is Evil Empire. In other news, Christianity is wickedness says Pope, urges followers to embrace atheisism.

Thomas the Wraith on August 22, 2007 at 3:44 PM

AP, don’t link to the NYT for a synopsis of Bush’s speech.
Just go here
and read it for yourself.
p.s. thanks for taking the time to add a preview button

billy on August 22, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Can the government sue a paper/news organisation for libel?

I ask that seriously. When a paper/news organisation puts out untrue or blatantly misleading information, what is the recourse of those maligned in the info?

VolMagic on August 22, 2007 at 3:57 PM

I’ll try it again.

billy on August 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Oh, look. ABC News changed it. Still inaccurate, but it leaves the soldiers out of it.

amerpundit on August 22, 2007 at 3:59 PM

The speech was one of his finest. How different things might have been if GWB were always this eloquent.

stenwin77 on August 22, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Bush is saying what I’ve been thinking for the past few years. While his critics claim that Iraq is “Bush’s Vietnam”, the way to turn Iraq into another Vietnam (ironically enough) is to do precisely what the “pull out now” crowd wants.

Bigfoot on August 22, 2007 at 4:05 PM

LOL…..I hold the same about of stock in The Star/National Enquirer as I do ANY of the broadcast media. Too bad I’m only representative of of the population.

Limerick on August 22, 2007 at 4:07 PM

supposed to say less then .01% of the population (filters)

Limerick on August 22, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Ha, next they’ll just photoshop horns on his head and a thin curly mustache and beard.

Dash on August 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM

When are we going to start culling the MSM of far leftists? When is the DoJ going to start putting editors, publishers, and “reporters” in prison for being “enemy combatants” or traitors?

This is NOT dissent. This isn’t even ‘telling both sides of the story.’ This is DELIBERATE SABOTAGE of America’s war effort.

“When a nation is at war many thing which might be said in time of peace are such a hindrance to its efforts that their utterance will not be endured so long as men fight and no court could regard them as protected by any Constitutional right.” [Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Schenk v. US, 249 US 47, 52 (1919)]

georgej on August 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Can the government sue a paper/news organisation for libel?

Nope

VolMagic on August 22, 2007 at 3:57 PM

To respond

– The Cat

MirCat on August 22, 2007 at 4:15 PM

this is so pathetic it boggles the mind

the media has claimed this has been vietnam since day 1 and that we’ll be bogged down and we’ll be quagmired to death. THe leftist have HOPED it was vietnam. Bush finally calls them on it and its an ‘agenda’ or a ‘talking point’. This from the people who take that war as something to hope for as an agenda.

I swear I wish i could kick these people in the ass and get that brain of theirs working if they have one

Defector01 on August 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM

MirCat on August 22, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Pithy. Noted. Thanks.

VolMagic on August 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM

So liberals think that Iraq is like Vietnam, until Bush makes that comparison, then it’s not like Vietnam. The MSM is so predictable.

SoulGlo on August 22, 2007 at 4:18 PM

These people (the Lefties, and thier lapdogs in the media) are really, seriously, beginning to p*** me off! I think it’s time that people started doing more than just saying, see what the media did. I think there ought to be some lawsuits or something. This is getting out of hand. These people aren’t even trying to tell the truth.

jdawg on August 22, 2007 at 4:20 PM

georgej on August 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM

I always like it when liberals/progressives/leftists use the word “dissent”. Dissent was what was going on before we decided to go to Iraq. What they are doing now is treason.

Harpoon on August 22, 2007 at 4:42 PM

BUSH SAYS SKY IS BLUE…. DEMOCRATS REJECT LATEST BUSH ‘TALKING POINT’, ISSUE SUBPOENAS TO INVESTIGATE ROVE’S ROLL IN GLOBAL ATMOSPHERIC HUE.

Dave Shay on August 22, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Ah rats, need an edit button. That’s “role” not “roll”. Guess I didn’t read enough books this year.

Dave Shay on August 22, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Iraq will be another Vietman only if the leftist Democrats in congress have their way. Their ilk took the cowardly way out in Vietnman and left an entire nation to the mercy of communist slavery. I’m certain that the innocent people of Iraq would not fair as well as those we abandoned in Vietnam.

rplat on August 22, 2007 at 4:57 PM

How dare Chimpy invoke the spectre of Vietnam (the brief bad part where millions were slaughtered)?

Doesn’t he know that the only way Iraq is like Vietnam is the part where the paper-tiger, arrogant imperialist Americans with their jhenjhis khan-like military were defeated by the heroic congress, some crack journalists and a handful of Hollywood’s finest?

Sheesh. Bush. Read a book.

NellE on August 22, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Does Disney still own ABC? That could be why they are in Fairyland when it comes to what actual news should represent.

Screw ’em for taking the lives of brave US volunteers and trying to use their sacrifice to sabotage the war effort.

Hening on August 22, 2007 at 5:00 PM

The abandonment of Vietnam was not our troops leaving, but congress cutting off the funds and equipment that the ARVN was promised.

MB4 on August 22, 2007 at 5:02 PM

I think Bush just gave the liberals a history lesson on how history will repeat itself.

Kini on August 22, 2007 at 5:05 PM

I’m a conservative…can’t listen to this man anymore! He is an idiot! I’m sorry but he can’t put a sentence together! Support him if you must but I won’t! Voted for him twice but can’t take it any more!

sabbott on August 22, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Here is Obama’s reaction for anyone who cares:

“The disastrous consequences described by President Bush are already in motion and are a direct result of a war that should never have been authorized. There is no military solution to Iraq’s problems. The only way to reverse these consequences is to change course through a surge in our diplomatic and humanitarian efforts in Iraq and the region, and a phased withdrawal of our forces that puts real pressure on the Iraqi government to act.”

Rightwingsparkle on August 22, 2007 at 5:22 PM

sabbott on August 22, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Maybe you would rather have John Kerry or Al Gore?

He may be the fool on the hill now, but I shutter to think what the alternative world would be with even bigger idiots in office.

You only need to look at the leadership (if you can call it that) in congress. What would you call Reid or Pelosi? Brain trusts?

Kini on August 22, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Maybe you would rather have John Kerry or Al Gore?

Kini on August 22, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Maybe John Kerry or Al Gore would have grown in the job.

I know, long odds for sure, but Bush certainly hasn’t.

MB4 on August 22, 2007 at 5:31 PM

sabbot,

Give me a break! I am so sick of people painting Bush out as an idiot. I dare you or anyone else to go through the tragedies of this country that Bush has gone through and still be strong and determined. He is. And no matter what anyone says, no war goes perfect. And no matter what anyone says he did what he promised. We have not been attacked again and he went after al Queada. And if the past 8 months doesn’t prove that he has done exactly that, I don’t know what will. We have thwarted attacks, we have not only fought terrorists, but we have proven that we will not weaken and will not back down. All the while providing humanitarian help with building schools, providing electricity, and housing.

And during all of this, from 9-11 to Katrina, our economy has thrived. THRIVED.

You go ahead and think he is an idiot, but anyone who doesn’t see the facts that I pointed out is really the idiot.

Rightwingsparkle on August 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM

George W. Bush’s secret MySpace entry (confidential eyes only):

Hi. My name is United States President George Walker Bush. You can call me the Commander Guy if you want. Or you can just call me The Decider if you want. You had best call me one or the other or I will have my man Chertoff pay you a visit! Know what I mean? I am now in my second triumphant term after wining it by an even bigger landslide than I won my first marvelous term by.

I graduated from Yale in June 1968 in the top 99% of my class. Then I went into the Texas Air National Guard. I was a Top Gun and almost single handedly protected America from the Viet Cong. You didn’t see any Viet Cong in America, now did you? Well did you? See.

I am sure to go down in history as one of the greatest Presidents of all time in U.S. history. Probably only after that guy what’s his name George something. Hey, I just thought of it, he had the same first name as me!

After binging peace and tranquility and democracy to the Muslims in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East, I will now bring peace and tranquility and democracy to all the brothers and sisters of Norte America, just wait and see. One success will follow the other as everything I touch just seems to turn to gold.

I sometimes like to chill out after a long day of serving the Norte American people by watching reruns of the Three Stooges on TV. Don’t you just love those guys? I have learned so much from them and try to make all my cabinet level and department head selections based on their philosophy.

I would like to think that I am open minded, honest and polite except to those damn unamerican nativist racists who disagree with me and do not want what is right for the Wall Street Journal, Tysons Foods and me America! and of course compassionate and I appreciate the same qualities in others. I am also not too fond of that al-Maliki anymore, in fact I am thinking about what happened to that Ngo Dinh Diem guy in Vietnam. If al-Maliki doesn’t get with my program pretty damn fast! Know what I mean don’t you?

Who I’d like to meet:
…other Mexico and Mexican employing loving bloggers who understand that Americans are too lazy to do the hard work that needs to be done to keep the country running. Wise men and women who know that Islam is a great religion of peace. People who like to eat tacos and burritos. Cool people who live close to Washington D.C. so that we can get together after work, kick back, and have a whole lot of fun while learning more Spanish and drinking Tequila with my very best amigos Teddy, John, Lindsey and Vicente.

MB4 on August 22, 2007 at 5:48 PM

MB4 on August 22, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Kerry has grown in his job. Just backwards.
Gore, only his ass has grown and that sits on his shoulders.

It’s less than 18 months, so start thinking about the future.
Stop worrying about Bush

Kini on August 22, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Gore, only his ass has grown and that sits on his shoulders.

Kini on August 22, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Able to guzzle more energy than dozens of normal men! Producing more hot air than a locomotive! Able to pile up carbon credits higher than a tall building in a single bound!!!

Look UP in the sky! It’s ChickenLittle! It’s FlyingSnakeOilSalesman! It the Sultan of Chad! It’s the Ayatollah of Heat! No, it’sCarbonMan in a private jet painted green using the internet that he invented himself
to fix all that heretical GISS data while holding his carbon emitting breath while doing it!!!

CarbonMan, strange visitor from an alternate reality who came to Earth with claims and scary predictions far beyond those of mortal men, disguised as Fat Albert, and now joined by other members of the Royal GreenLeague such as BioFuelHummerMan and EcoCleaningWoman, they all fight a
never ending battle for science-fiction, hypocrisy and the Hollywood way!

MB4 on August 22, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Kerry has grown in his job. Just backwards.

Kini on August 22, 2007 at 5:48 PM

John Kerry’s secret MySpace entry:

Hi there fellow bloggers. My name is United States Senator John Forbes Kerry from the great state of Massachusetts. You can call me JFK if you want. I was born on December 11, 1943, although people tell me that I look at least 20 years younger. It’s probably my great hair and rugged good looks.

I graduated from Yale in June 1966 in the top 1% of my class. To earn extra money during the summers, I loaded trucks in a grocery warehouse and sold encyclopedias door to door. That is probably one of the reasons that I am so humble. Over my four years at Yale, I maintained a 96
grade average and received a 101 average in my senior year.

I am one of the most senior members of that grand and much loved and respected institution known as the U.S. Senate. Probably the only living Senator even a little bit greater than me is my dear friend Ted Moore Kennedy. I also have a very high IQ. Very high. Much higher than that creep who stole the election from me. I know that he stole it from me because exit polls are never ever wrong.

I am also a great war hero. I set all kinds of records for heroism when I was in Vietnam. I was grievously wounded at least three times yet continued to insist on staying in the fight when lesser men would have given up. I won the bronze star with extra V’s for extra valor and the Silver Star for defeating a whole battalion of NVA with my bare hands.

I sometimes like to chill out after a long day of serving the American people by having a double martini with my good friend Ted. We usually have a servant bring 21 double martinis. I get one and Ted gets one for each of his fingers and each of his toes. Contrary to what some of my very few enemies say I never marry women for just their money. They must also have a pulse. BTW, did I mention that I was in Vietnam? I was also in Cambodia, so don’t forget that either!

I would like to think that I am open minded, honest, polite, heroic and trustworthy. And I appreciate the same qualities in others although I am realistic enough to know that no one else could come close to me.

Who I’d like to meet:
…other progressive bloggers. Other great war heroes who hate that damn S-T-U-P-I-D Texan in the White House. Cool people who live close to Washington D.C. so that we can get together, talk about you for about 30 second and then spend about 3 hours talking about me. BTW, did I mention that I was in Vietnam and Cambodia? Just one more BTW, if anyone has found my magic hat please return to me.

MB4 on August 22, 2007 at 6:00 PM

MB4 on August 22, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Funny! Perchance have you written anything on Wikipidia? @/_@

Kini on August 22, 2007 at 6:10 PM

LOL MB4.

mram on August 22, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I believe that the headline is wrong, biased and another example of the MSM’s left-leaning, but I disagree with your statement that Bush is saying that Iraq will be like Vietnam. Bush is saying that Iraq IS like Vietnam, but in a specific way. He’s not saying that it’s a quagmire, like most moonbats would falsely assume, but he is saying that the US’s relationship with Iraq now is like our relationship was with Vietnam in about 1972. If we start making the decision to pull out, to surrender, just like we did in Vietnam, when we know that we can win militarily, we will be condemning all of the Iraqi’s to a fate as horrible as was the fate of the millions of Vietnamese who died post ’75.

congsan on August 22, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I think Bush is warming up for his own talk show after his presidency. Great speech. C’mon W, bring it. Stand up and duke it out with the scum that nibbles away at your ankles.

Mojave Mark on August 22, 2007 at 6:56 PM

You know a helicopter crash like that could have just as easily happened here in the US..so it’s not fair to link it to anything happening in Iraq.

mlong on August 22, 2007 at 8:29 PM

abc, and you other msm types..it’s these intentional misleading things that make normal people turn to other sources.

Buy a clue.

Highrise on August 22, 2007 at 9:56 PM

one thing i like about bush is his inability to speak well, it shows he is human.
i would take a man that cant put the right words together but makes bold, determined and decisive actions over a silky talking pres that just leads by what the poll of the day is…
the poor guy has to watch every single word he says as well, or be skewerd worse then he already gets by the press. i think he has done pretty well at staying human and would rather he did that then to have changed to fit the office.

trailortrash on August 23, 2007 at 1:07 AM

for those that are seriously maligning George Bush’s intelligence i would point this out:

he did actually fly single seat military jet aircraft many times and walked away from every landing.

none of the dimwits that cut him down can say that.

C

pk on August 23, 2007 at 1:34 AM

I’m so surprised. … really.

mainstream news is a joke.

One Angry Christian on August 23, 2007 at 5:35 PM