Congressman of unknown party affiliation charged with assault; Update: Silent correction issued! Update: CNN, MSNBC also omit party

posted at 4:08 pm on August 20, 2007 by Allahpundit

I saw this story before I saw InstaGlenn’s post but my reaction was the same. Whenever they conspicuously neglect to note party affiliation in an unflattering story, you know exactly which party it is.

Annnnnd … it is.

NBC has the Washington airport report. Sounds less like a case of intent to do harm than of overweening entitlement. Go figure.

Update: Corrections, big media style — just add in the crap you forgot and pretend it didn’t happen.

Update: Mark Finkelstein reports that CNN’s bulletin also helpfully omitted his party affiliation; I checked the Tivo for the MSNBC bulletin and, a-yup, they omitted it too. Worth cutting the vid? Eh, I don’t think so.

Update: Here’s the CNN video, via Townhall.

Comments

On August 19, 2007 Filner was involved in an altercation with a United Airlines employee after he tried to gain access to an area of Dulles Airport that is only for authorized personnel. Witnesses recount seeing Filner push an employee of United Airlines, he also refused to leave the area. The employee pressed charges and Filner is scheduled to appear in General District Court on October 2, 2007

This on Wikipedia, it doesn’t take long.

right2bright on August 20, 2007 at 4:13 PM

MSNBC reported this story just now. They never reported that he was a Democrat. I bet if he was a Republican, they would have had that big R on there like clockwork.

SoulGlo on August 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM

A Cynthia McKinney moment?

Kini on August 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM

No kidding…… CNN never puts the (D) next to their names when reporting on something like this.

ericire12 on August 20, 2007 at 4:21 PM

I think that this MO of the MSM is relly quite a compliment.

Dog bites man law breaking Democrat v. man bites dog law breaking Republican.

The one is news worthy, the other not.

MB4 on August 20, 2007 at 4:23 PM

SoulGlo on August 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM

You kidding??? More like a flashing neon homing beacon for the nearest airport…

Miss_Anthrope on August 20, 2007 at 4:24 PM

A Cynthia McKinney moment?

Kini on August 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM

She wasn’t the first, I don’t think…I’m pretty sure Sheila Jackson-Lee beat her to it (no pun intended) on the airlines.

Miss_Anthrope on August 20, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Looks like they added in the Democratic Representative line… But no statement of the correction. Typical.

saltydogg14 on August 20, 2007 at 4:26 PM

They seem to assume that law breaking Dems are just normal people who need no “scarlet letter” distinction wereas Repubs need the letter to identify why they are criminal.

apostle53 on August 20, 2007 at 4:27 PM

“Bridge to No Where” Young

I haven’t seen where this story on Don Young (R) AK has been picked up.

tmitsss on August 20, 2007 at 4:29 PM

And, just like that…Bada Bing! It’s changed.

ABC 7/Newschannel 8 has learned the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority have charged Democratic Representative Robert Filner of California with assault and battery following an incident at Dulles International Airport Sunday night.

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 4:30 PM

tmitsss on August 20, 2007 at 4:29 PM

you must be new here.

Mazztek on August 20, 2007 at 4:31 PM

As of 4:29 PM, the opening paragraph now reads,

Now, that’s service!

Well-Armed Lamb on August 20, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Are we saying there is a conspiracy in the MSM to hide party affiliation in cases like this?

..honk..

Montana on August 20, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Did anyone cache the first one?

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 4:33 PM

A Beltway Bastard thinking he’s entitled? Nooooooooooooooooo. Security measures are for imbeciles like us, not those inside of the Beltway. Get used to it. This is just another example of the “do what I say, not what I do” thinking inherent inside of the Beltway.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM

As we say in the South, “it ain’t too smart to pitch a fit” with baggage handlers…

d1carter on August 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Rug. Broom. Hokus-pokus-alakazam.

Limerick on August 20, 2007 at 4:35 PM

tmitsss on August 20, 2007 at 4:29 PM

It’s been well-known for quite a while. Oh, and by the way, the last paragraph states:

At least $2.5 billion of that money went toward projects in the districts of four top GOP lawmakers at the time, including Young.

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Good call Allah. Just so you know, I think you do a great job here picking out the stories and blogging on things that are interesting to me. I never mean anything personal against you in any of my posts even when I disagree with your position. You do a good job and I appreciate it. I don’t think you hear that enough which could be why you have been getting so defensive lately in some of your blogs.

ThackerAgency on August 20, 2007 at 4:37 PM

leave Mr Filner a note of your pleasure or displeasure over this John Kerry moment. Go to the link..and input California as your state and Zip 91910-0000 because he ‘refuses’ messages out of his constituent area. It will bring you to “Fightin’ Filner’s” message page.

malkinmania on August 20, 2007 at 4:38 PM

malkinmania on August 20, 2007 at 4:39 PM

I read this an hour ago. The first things that I noticed were the fact that there was no mention of his party (which means he’s a Dem) and the satanic look in his eyes (which means he’s probably a Dem).

It took me ’till the second page and three paragraphs down on his house.gov site to find out for sure what his party was.

If people can’t see the bias, it’s doubtful they ever will. But I have finally convinced my 85 year old Democrat mother.

Harpoon on August 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I am new around here and perhaps I missed this part before.

The researcher found that Young or one of his aides changed language in the earmark after Congress had already voted on it, erasing I-75 and adding the words “Coconut Road’’ as it was being cleaned up to be sent to President Bush, Johnston said.

tmitsss on August 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Heh, its always fun to show this little anomoly, I think someone should start gauging it. I saw this one a while ago, GOP was front and center, you know damn well if this was a Democrat, party affiliation would be near the bottom, or not even appear at all.

Bad Candy on August 20, 2007 at 4:41 PM

If you’re gonna write the slimeball, be civil!

Bad Candy on August 20, 2007 at 4:42 PM

They’ve now got “UPDATED” under the title. No details as to what was updated.

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 4:42 PM

tmitsss? Are you really gonna waste your sign-in with such weak trolling and thread derailing? C’mon, do something over the top, not this weak stuff!

Bad Candy on August 20, 2007 at 4:44 PM

tmitsss on August 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM

What does that have to do with this post? I’ve already pointed out that Young’s affiliation was mentioned, and you seem to move on to the details of he story – a story that’s been beaten to death in the media. You know the saying “Bridge to Nowhere”?

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 4:45 PM

I question the timing so soon after Michael Vick

William Amos on August 20, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Maybe CNN thinks “D” stands for dumb.

right2bright on August 20, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Fox has story up

here

William Amos on August 20, 2007 at 4:47 PM

tmitsss,

You even made “Bridge to No Where” part of your original post. The story is well-known, beaten to death, and has been attacked by politicians on both sides of the aisle.

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Color me “gobsmacked” !

TBinSTL on August 20, 2007 at 4:52 PM

I don’t care what the party affiliation is. I just want him to be subject to the same laws and prosecution I would be subjected to if I, a lowly plebe, committed the same offense.

I just heard about this guy Jimmy Justice on fox that takes video of NYC’s finest breaking the law. When public officials or public servants like police break the law, we are no better than a third world banana republic. Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/user/JimmyJustice4753

The very symbol we use to represent justice is a lady holding the scales of justice and she is blind folded.

If anything Law makers and police should have to do double the sentence.

TheSitRep on August 20, 2007 at 4:53 PM

All because his bag didn’t show up fast enough. According to the Fox story, he was GRAPPLING with the police and lo and behold, his bag showed up. HA HA whatta maroon.

RushBaby on August 20, 2007 at 4:53 PM

But of course there’s no liberal media bias toward one political party or anything. /sarc off

ReubenJCogburn on August 20, 2007 at 4:55 PM

How did I miss the all important “she” word. He was pushing around a woman. What a wuss, they were treating you like an animal, because you are an animal.

right2bright on August 20, 2007 at 5:05 PM

MSM guidlines:

(R) = tried and convicted
(D) = pass

I hope that helps. Sometimes you just have to state the obvious.

On-my-soap-box on August 20, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Color me “gobsmacked” !

TBinSTL on August 20, 2007 at 4:52 PM
tmitsss on August 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM

sonnyspats1 on August 20, 2007 at 5:08 PM

tmitsss on August 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM

That has zero (zip, nada, nothing) to do with the topic of this thread. What is the purpose of posting it other than to derail the discussion?

jdawg on August 20, 2007 at 5:11 PM

To be fair, the account I posted earlier, which came from an MSNBC site, did note (D-CA).

At the time, it was the only story available; I’d since been out of the house.

JammieWearingFool on August 20, 2007 at 5:13 PM

d1carter on August 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Because they’ll set upon ye!

BKennedy on August 20, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I think Bob Filner’s just frustrated at being overshadowed by San Diego’s other Rep’s; Duncan Hunter(R) has always been strong on the military and the border, and Brian Bilbray (R) has been even stronger when it comes to the border. Bob’s been a do-nothing for near 15 years in the House.

PatrickS on August 20, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Maybe he’ll be “Cynthia McKinney-ed” by the voters in ’08?

*audio clip during struggle* Don’t MAKE me go McKinney on your sorry ass!

Mojave Mark on August 20, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Thought you guys would like this. I saw this and submitted a comment about the “omission”, and it’s been mysteriously deleted. Shenanigans! And to prove I left it and it’s now gone is this reply to my comment:

“…they stated he was a democrat. “Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority have charged Democratic Representative Robert Filner of California”, it’s called reading comprehension, try it some time.”

Right Tracker on August 20, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Arrogance thy name is Democrud!

MNDavenotPC on August 20, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Gleaning the facts from our media today is becoming much like what Soviet subjects had to do back in the glory days of Pravda and Isvestia: read between the lines, particulary in what’s not reported.

Examples:

1. Racial characteritics of criminal suspect not mentioned: chances are he’s black.

2. Political affiliation of politician accused of wrongdoing not mentioned: he’s a Democrat.

3. Identifying characteristics of someone apprehended at airport security trying to pass a phony bomb made out of a brick of cheese wired to a cell phone not mentioned: I’ll give you one guess. It’s all you need.

Spurius Ligustinus on August 20, 2007 at 6:05 PM

William Jefferson, race unknown, political affliation unknown.

BKennedy on August 20, 2007 at 6:10 PM

It’s senor Boosh’s fault for all that daggone airport red tape while he’s shredding the Constitution and laughing at us while he takes away our rights!

SouthernGent on August 20, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Shep just quoted a statement from Filner’s office claiming that the story as reported in the press is factually incorrect and that the charges are ridiculous. (That’s a pretty close paraphrase, anyway.) And the spin begins.

ReubenJCogburn on August 20, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Filner is on his way to Iraq to see the troops, his office said in a statement late Monday, and will have a full statement when he returns.

on his way to Iraq

United Airlines baggage claim

man had left the office and was waiting in the area of a bag carousel

Now I just got back from Jersey so my memory is a lil iffy, but I can swear, SWEAR, that you get your bags from the carausel after the flight. If you are connecting, the bags get transferred and you don’t have to step one foot outside security.

I guess he just flew into Dulles before he would strap the bags to his back and swim/hike the rest of the way. Finally, a liberal who goes out of his way to “reduce carbon polution”!

TheEJS on August 20, 2007 at 9:55 PM

What media bias?

RightWinged on August 20, 2007 at 10:21 PM

The left asked me to pass along their reaction:

b…bb….b…. But Fox put a “(D)” next to Foley’s name once!

RightWinged on August 20, 2007 at 10:22 PM

So you got McKinney punching cops, this guy pushing people around at the airport and remember Al Gore deciding he could just skip the security line ? Democrats don’t think the law applies to them, you see they are the elite and the laws are just for us little people. The typical elite socialist attitude.

Maxx on August 20, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Like all Democrats, he’s a THUG and a prick.

Since the assclown wasn’t pinched by the capitol cops, there won’t be quite as much pressure by BotoxPelsoi to drop the charges, but there will be some. You can bet also that there won’t be a bit of intersest from the “most ethical Congress, Evah!” to expel him, either.

georgej on August 21, 2007 at 6:22 AM

To paraphrase a famous quote from 1968, from Chicago Mayor Richard Daley:

“Ladies and gentleman, the [Democrats] aren’t there to create disorder. The [Democrats] are there to preserve disorder…”

Captain Scarlet on August 21, 2007 at 10:24 AM

I’ll bet he’s an OPEN BORDERS ZEALOT and he voted FOR NAFTA. Any takers?

DfDeportation on August 21, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I can’t remember. When the Mark Foley page story broke, did they report his party affiliation or not? My memory is fuzzy.

krabbas on August 22, 2007 at 9:43 AM