Border Patrol officer: BP agents aren’t responsible for stopping illegal immigrants

posted at 12:27 pm on August 20, 2007 by Bryan

Sigh. What next, the Marines actually don’t have the responsibility of fighting and winning America’s wars?

Border Patrol agents dont have the responsibility of apprehending illegal immigrants, Carlos X. Carrillo, chief patrol agent for the Laredo sector, said at a town hall meeting Wednesday.”The Border Patrol is not equipped to stop illegal immigrants,” Carrillo said, noting that illegal narcotics are also not on the agents priority list.

“The Border Patrol mission is not to do any of those things,” he emphasized.

The Border Patrols mission is to keep the country safe from terrorist and terrorist weapons, he said. Carrillo added that when and if terrorists come into the country, the agents will be ready.

So…the Border Patrol will only be ready when the bad guys are already inside the country? And they don’t actually have to stop illegals from crossing into the country? Then what does this Mission Statement mean?

bpmission.png

Call me crazy, but doesn’t that line about the Border Patrol being “guardians of Our Nation’s borders” mean that they actually, you know, guard the borders?

Or maybe they’re just confused about which nation is “Our Nation?”

Update: Meanwhile–

Violent crime along the U.S.-Mexico border, which has long plagued the scrubby, often desolate stretch, is increasingly spilling northward into the cities of the American Southwest.

In Phoenix, deputies are working the unsolved case of 13 border crossers who were kidnapped and executed in the desert. In Dallas, nearly two dozen high school students have died in the last two years from overdoses of a $2-a-hit Mexican fad drug called “cheese heroin.”

The crime surge, most acute in Texas and Arizona, is fueled by a gritty drug war in Mexico that includes hostages being held in stash houses, daylight gun battles claiming innocent lives, and teenage hit men for the Mexican cartels. Shipments of narcotics and vans carrying illegal workers on U.S. highways are being hijacked by rival cartels fighting over the lucrative smuggling routes. Fires are being set in national forests to divert police.

In Laredo, Texas, a teenager who had been driving around the United States in a $70,000 luxury sedan confessed to becoming a Mexican cartel hitman when he was just 13. In Nogales, Ariz., an 82-year-old man was caught with 79 kilograms of cocaine in his Chevrolet Impala. The youth was sentenced to 40 years in prison in one slaying case and is awaiting trial in another; the old man received 10 years…

The small town of Sierra Vista, Ariz., learned firsthand of the rising violence in 2004, when police chased a pickup carrying 24 illegal immigrants on the border town’s main drag, Buffalo Soldier Trail. Speeds reached up to 100 mph. The truck went airborne, hit half a dozen cars and killed a recently married elderly couple waiting at a stoplight.

(h/t NRO)

Comments

Please tell me this is satire.

TheBigOldDog on August 20, 2007 at 12:31 PM

That is simply unbeleiveable.

I wonder how many other Hispanic Border Patrol agents feel that way. This news further galvanizes the country agasinst illegal immigration. The Republicans better win the Presidency and start cleaning house.

Theworldisnotenough on August 20, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Call me “ignorant,” but couldn’t we just place the national guard along our national border?

You know, to like guard our border along side the border patrol?

Darnell Clayton on August 20, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Was this guy in uniform? Is there any agency policy against political speech while in uniform? Better yet is there any agency policy against misrepresenting the Border Patrol?

This tack of focusing on terrorists and terrorism is a subtle but burgeoning tactic of immigration apologists. They try to shift the focus to national security, which is supposed to make anti-illegal forces sound weak on national defense.

One problem: Preventing illegal immigration is likely the most prudent method for stopping terrorists from entering the country. That and ending student visas from dissident nations.

The guy should be treated like a pariah or a turncoat.

The seeds of serious national dissent are being sown.

The Race Card on August 20, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Please tell me this is satire.

TheBigOldDog on August 20, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I wish it was. You know, Australia, Japan and New Zealand are looking awfully tempting lately. It must be the “island” factor.

Darnell Clayton on August 20, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I wonder how many other Hispanic Border Patrol agents feel that way.

Theworldisnotenough on August 20, 2007 at 12:31 PM

We can’t say that, because Compean and Ramos are serving over a decade for doing their job.

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 12:37 PM

This tells me , that we need to be far more vigilant than I once thought. I will have to pay attention to any and all meetings of this sort in my state and area, and get there to ask them what they mean. In this case, just what IS your mission statement? Hopefully I will have prepared myself to have a copy of same such as Bryan has done here… Well done, Sir!

MNDavenotPC on August 20, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Alas, Tom Tancredo would fire this guy the first day in office. Too bad he gets no respect.

bucktowndusty on August 20, 2007 at 12:41 PM

US Boarder Patrol Headquarters

Maybe this guy knows something…

Policy & Planning
Will Houston
(202) 344-2700

BadBrad on August 20, 2007 at 12:41 PM

I’d like to point out the fact that the Fort Dix plotters came here across our border, illegally.

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM

MNDavenotPC on August 20, 2007 at 12:37 PM

This tells me , that we need to be far more vigilant than I once thought.

What it tells me is that Carlos X. Carrillo needs to find himself in the unemployment line yesterday at the very latest.

doriangrey on August 20, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I beginning to think the Beach Patrol has more authority then the Border Patrol….

soulsirkus on August 20, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Don’t worry. Indian tribes are willing to let illegals stay with them, to avoid deportation – for a fee.

amerpundit on August 20, 2007 at 12:49 PM

To borrow a line from McCain: So I guess the terrorists will be wearing special terrorist t-shirts to let us all know who they are. Meanwhile, all the rest of you can come right in past the BP agents while they stand at the ready to ‘protect’ us.

This guy Carrillo must be a real piece of work, like a Hispanic version of Chertoff.

infidel4life on August 20, 2007 at 12:51 PM

I can accept the idea that stopping illegals is not a priority–the BP is stretched way too thin to truly guard the border in every way, and they have to pick and choose how to use their scarce resources. Truthfully, I would rather have them focusing more on stopping people who might be trying to smuggle nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons across the border than lettuce-pickers or even drunk drivers. I hate that that choice has to be made, but I understand the choice of priorities if that’s the case. But this guy says it’s not their responsibility at all, which is what seems so wrong. If not the BP, then who? No-one, I guess, which seems to be a great deal of the problem….

aero on August 20, 2007 at 12:55 PM

What an insult to his fellow BP agents Ramos and Compean, who are currently rotting in jail trying to stop a narc traficker from crossing the border.

mram on August 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Wow, would it be to shrill to call for this guys’ job? I mean this guy should really be a surgeon; spitting hairs the way he dose. Or did we hire Baghdad Bob?

liquidflorian on August 20, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I wonder how many other Hispanic Border Patrol agents feel that way.

Theworldisnotenough on August 20, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Its sometimes very difficult to avoid the racial issue here because certian groups try hard to thrust it out infront of our faces. Here we have Carlos X. Carrillo, Mayor Raul Salinas and CÉSAR G. RODRIGUEZ joining hands to inform us that Border Patrol agents dont have the responsibility of apprehending illegal immigrants. Salinas seems awfully concerned for a Mayor of a US city about how a border fence would affect relations with Mexico. Its time for people to realize, the people on our side, advocating for the enforcement of our immigration laws are not the racists. Its the individuals who are seemingly more concerned about speaking and acting on behalf of their particular race then they are to have any allegience what-so-ever to the United States of America. In other words these people do not care about the US of A. They only care about their race. Hence they are racists.

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 1:01 PM

So how are they going to screen the normal illegial aliens, whom they aren’t supposed to catch, and the terrorists coming to slaughter us. Oh wait, another question, does that mean that the various illegials who have killed Americans, were terrorists that the Boarder Patrol missed?

Snake307 on August 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM

And just exactly how do they make the distinction between illegal immigrants coming to pick lettuce and illegal immigrants coming to commit acts of terrorism? Or between a smuggler with a kilo of cocaine and a smuggler with a kilo of explosives or radioactive materials?

This agent should be sacked immediately- if not for what he said, then the stupidity of saying publicly “hey guys, we’re the Border Patrol; it’s not our job to patrol the border!”

Hollowpoint on August 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM

We steadfastly enforce the Laws of the United States while fostering our Nations’s economic security through lawful international trade and travel.

What the heck does that mean ?

[E]nforce… laws of the United States …. through lawful international trade and travel.

What a bizarre statement for the core duties of the boarder patrol. What international trade and travel is the boarder patrol doing… and how does that enforce the boarders ? No wonder they can’t do their job, they don’t know what their job is.

Maxx on August 20, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Luckily for us, all of the terrorists where the infamous bright red terrorist t-shirt, with the lighted beanie cap. They can immediatley identify who is a terrorist and who is just crossing the border illegally.
Without that generous co-operation of all terrorists, you can imagine the confusion of sorting out who is sneaking across our border.
Kudos for the border patrol in supplying those terrorists with the shirt and beanie…that is being pro-active.

right2bright on August 20, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Hollowpoint on August 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM

I concede the point. :-) You’re right, of course.

aero on August 20, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Darnell Clayton on August 20, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Japan won’t let you in. New zealand is for libs.
Australia has similar problems to us, except also toilet flushing issues, and it’s in China’s sights with its very existence due to American power in the Pacific. If we go, they go. So…, stay here and make your stand!

JiangxiDad on August 20, 2007 at 1:15 PM

So the fox is guarding the henhouse now? The two BPs are in jail BECAUSE they did their job. Apparently this Carrillo is saying that even when the BP sees ‘undocumented Americans'(Reid’s term) crossing the border illegally, they are to do nothing? Jerry Rivers(Geraldo) should be proud of him!

countywolf on August 20, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Hollowpoint on August 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM
I concede the point. :-) You’re right, of course.

aero on August 20, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Well, the funny part about this is, if you are not going to stop everybody and you are just looking out for certain people doing certain things, the only way to do that is through profiling. Primarily racial profiling. So, what he is advocating, essentially, is to stop all the Middle Eastern looking people, let all the Mexicans pass. I wonder what our lefty open borders friends would think about this policy?

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 1:25 PM

unbelievable!!!
its like bizarro world more everyday :(

trailortrash on August 20, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Hm. Did he say what they were supposed to be doing?

morganfrost on August 20, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I just e-mailed both of my senators (Cornyn and Hutchison) and my representative (Gohmert) with Agent Carrillo’s comments and asked for their quick and specific response on whether they agreed with Agent Carrillo and if not, what exactly were they going to do about it. Hopefully Agent Carrillo’s life will become somewhat interesting now…

Jonas Parker on August 20, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 1:25 PM

That’s what I originally thought the guy meant, and it made sense to me–didn’t offend me at all. But Hollowpoint’s challenge made me realize that it is still difficult to tell who’s Middle Eastern and who’s Mexican in in the middle of the night as they run by you 1/2 a mile away or where you can’t even see them in a coyote’s truck. Also, if the BP did manage to successfully profile border jumpers and stop a significant percentage of Middle Easterners, the Middle Easterners would presumably then recruit and pay some poor Mexicans to smuggle the stuff for them instead. What this BP guy just did was announce for all the terrorists to see that if you’re Mexican, the BP won’t stop you–they don’t even consider it to be their responsibility to try.

Also, most Middle Eastern terrorist types are coming in on Visas and letting them expire, aren’t they? They’re coming in legally, but staying illegally. I’m not saying they won’t use a swiss-cheese easy-to-cross border if it offers itself (which it does), but it’s just as easy to come in as a student, I’d imagine. Less swimming and running through uncomfortably hot deserts involved. But I guess it works if you’re on a watch list and can’t fly, or if you’re carrying weapons that wouldn’t make it through airline security.

aero on August 20, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Jonas Parker on August 20, 2007 at 1:35 PM

The response will probably be an instruction for him not to do media interviews anymore and then say “run along now”.

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 1:45 PM

It depends what your definition of “guard” is.

MT on August 20, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Oddly, the article ends with:

To report any suspicious activity, Carrillo said, residents should contact Immigration and Customs Enforcement at…

CBP and ICE are separate agencies: one is borders/ports, the other largely interior enforcement. Why would a BP chief suggest the public call another agency?

Just throwing it out there.

cadetwithchips2 on August 20, 2007 at 1:48 PM

An oldie but goodie… isn’t it time we talked seriously about building a moat?

MT on August 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM

aero on August 20, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Oh, I understand all that aero. In fact I agree with Hollowpoint 100%. All I was doing is pointing out how this man’s only concern is to facilitate his race in their endeavors to enter into my and your country illegally. It is his only driving force. He cares nothing about the United States of America. He cares nothing about the true function of the Border Patrol. He cares only about his race. His policy is basically to let all the Latinos in. But he will be the first to turn around and call us the racists.

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Jonas Parker on August 20, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Thanks for doing that. I emailed Drudge

JiangxiDad on August 20, 2007 at 1:59 PM

It is possible that Chief Patrol Agent for Laredo Carlos X. Carrillo has been misquoted by the press (it would not be the first time). If so, this needs to be made clear. If this is NOT a misquote, and this is the correct enunciation of policy, then the policy makers need to be first exposed by name, and then fired.

georgej on August 20, 2007 at 2:03 PM

And our president is working for a North American Highway???

aero on August 20, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Given the similarities in skin color and facial structure, how on Earth is anyone to tell the difference, especially with assistance from Mexicans to do just that??? I know what you’re saying, but throwing that out there…

Miss_Anthrope on August 20, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Maxx on August 20, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Yeah, I was kind of stuck on the first part:

“We steadfastly enforce the laws of the United States”

Really? Which ones?

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Darnell Clayton on August 20, 2007 at 12:36 PM

In all seriousness, I’m researching Australia and have been for some time.

Guardian on August 20, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Miss_Anthrope on August 20, 2007 at 2:05 PM

I’m not advocating for that. I want everyone stopped from coming accross the border or entering the country illegally in any way. He’s the one pushing the racial issue, not me. That was my point. I was poking at the irony there.

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 2:36 PM

We ought to sick Michelle on this guy. His comments are disgusting. I wonder if he’s here legally.

mimi1220 on August 20, 2007 at 2:39 PM

According to their charter, CBP “prevents narcotics, agricultural pests and smuggled goods from entering the country and also identifies and arrests those with outstanding criminal warrants.” So while he is dead wrong on the narcotics piece of it, he is unfortunately correct about catching illegals. That responsibility lies with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), part of Homeland Security. See here for more information.

Grouchy Old Yorkie Lady on August 20, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Then why isn’t ICE patrolling the border? Shouldn’t they be PREVENTING a problem rather than reacting to it?

What exactly IS the point of having a Border Patrol?

Simply for the sake of employment?

drjohn on August 20, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Oh, I know…like I said, just throwing that out. Sorry ’bout that, mainly meant it to be mentioned for others to read. I knew what you meant…sorry to put you on the defensive…not my intention!

Miss_Anthrope on August 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Ridiculous! Then what the hell are we paying his salary for?(he does work for us). We can always dress up traffic cones like border guards to do the same job. If talk radio really sank the shamnesty bill we need to focus this new age voter power on holding BP to it’s mission statement.

Dadzilla on August 20, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Miss_Anthrope on August 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM

No worries. Just wanted to make sure we were clear.

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 3:41 PM

It isn’t the first time this clown has shown his true colors:

According to an OSC investigative document obtained by The Washington Post but not released yesterday, whistle-blower Davenport reported his kickback allegations to Adams and Carrillo in fall 2000.

“According to Mr. Davenport, Mr. Carrillo advised him that he might not be considered a team player if he reported the matter,” that document said.

Davenport said that in February 2001, when he laid out his allegations to Adams and two other Border Patrol officials, he was told to “mind his own business,” the report released yesterday said. Adams and Carrillo also told Davenport that “if he wanted to move up in the Border Patrol . . . he had to get along” and drop his complaints.

Dev on August 20, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Zetterson on August 20, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Eh, ya know it! ;)

Miss_Anthrope on August 20, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Ok. Fine. Apparently the Border Patrol is staffed by halfwits.

So…

If the Dhimmicrats succeed in “bringing the troops back home”, then let’s post them on the Mexican border.

Montana on August 20, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Japan won’t let you in. New zealand is for libs.

JiangxiDad on August 20, 2007 at 1:15 PM

How can I stand for a nation that refuses to defend their own?

:-(

In all seriousness, I’m researching Australia and have been for some time.

Guardian on August 20, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Perhaps I’ll join you “down under” once Hillary is elected.

Darnell Clayton on August 20, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Jesus H. Christopher! That man is a MORON. God help us,this man represents our idiotic leadship! Let us get off our collective asses and away from our computers and go out and work at getting rid of these dumb asses! All we are doing here is preaching to the choir.

leanright on August 20, 2007 at 5:25 PM

American involvement against terrorism officially began during the mid-1990s when the WTC was first hit. Therefore, how could the Border Patrol be acting against terrorism when it did not exist before the mid-90s (for us)? How could the BP have a mission that did not exist before then.

Could it be that Chief Carrillo is a….Reconquistador?

La Vida! La Raza! Viva Chupacabra!

Why is it that are our law enforcement agencies seem to be doubting their authority and getting confused about their mission? And like Carrillo, apparently making up their missions?

Or am I mistaken here?

The False Dervish on August 20, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Fire him. If there are more like him on the agency, fire them.

If that is an agency wide problem; If indeed the laws, rules and regulations set by Congress and the Administration back him up on that attitude, then, we might as well save the money, Disband the BP, and turn it all over to the Minutemen and other Volunteer ‘Vigilantes’.

Color me disgusted, but not surprised.

LegendHasIt on August 20, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Just a thought…..

If what Carillo says is accurate, doesn’t that condemn Compean and Ramos?

GT on August 20, 2007 at 7:27 PM

Isn’t Carillo just reporting the BP’s standing orders from its bosses, Chertoff and Bush?
I don’t know how all the BP agents go to work every morning, knowing they are actually expected to not do their jobs.

Lancer on August 20, 2007 at 8:10 PM

I guess they have to rename them the STOPPING ILLEGAL ENTRY AT THE BORDER AGENTS to make their jobs a little clearer.

If they just “patrol”, and that’s it, we might as well use Roombas.

At least then the literal border will be a little cleaner.

profitsbeard on August 21, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Do you know that the meat in that photo looks really really tasty?! It makes me hungry just looking at it, not that I’d be able to eat it at the moment, just having gotten back from some root-canal therapy at the dentist :/.

Aylios on August 21, 2007 at 12:52 PM

How is it that this Border Patrol Agent (“Carlos X. Carrillo”) is even speaking in a border-town (or anywhere else) townhall meeting? He appears to be intentionally encouraging the crime he’s otherwise already sworn to patrol against (and present as a representative of LAW ENFORCEMENT, which clearly he is not).

Carrillo should be fired.

Another thing: when President Eisenhower SUCCESSFULLY accomplished deportation from the U.S. of illegal aliens, the first thing he did inorder to accomplish that was to remove local law enforcement from border states as to involvement in the entire area of illegal aliens, and to send to those areas law enforcement personnel from other areas of the nation.

Because Eisenhower smartly and effectively recognized that border areas and states populated with illegal aliens had law enforcement personnel who were SELECTIVELY enforcing the laws — picking and chosing which laws to enforce, which to avoid enforcing and not applying consistent enforcement to illegal aliens (in other words, turning a complicit eye and ear just as this Carrillo guy is, to illegal aliens and their illegal immigration behaviors).

Eisenhower accomplished that deportation of illegal aliens quickly, effectively and very well and he did that because he understood how to handle the problem: apply the lawful penalty (deportation) to the identified behavior (illegal immigration) and not to pick and choose which or who to penalize among the offenders (but to penalize all offenders who committed these same illegal acts).

As long as our nation contines to pick and chose some illegal aliens to penalize while ignoring the vast majority of them, we’ll have a greater majority of illegal aliens because, obviously, they don’t fear being penalized (with deportation).

Eisenhower understood this.