Finally: Illegal who lived in church for a year to avoid deportation arrested; Update: Deported

posted at 7:16 pm on August 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

A year and a day after my first post about her, after various sick-making child-exploitation photo ops involving her young son at the White House and before the Mexican legislature, Chertoff finally decided to do his job. Sort of:

An immigration activist who sought refuge inside a Chicago church for a year was arrested in Los Angeles this afternoon after taking her campaign on the road.

Elvira Arellano was arrested about 4:15 p.m. Chicago time by law-enforcement officials after leaving Our Lady Queen of Angels Church in downtown Los Angeles, said Emma Lozano, an adviser who was there during the arrest.

After talking to news media inside the church, Arellano and her supporters got into their van to head north to San Jose, where she was scheduled to speak at another church, Lozano said. Moments after they entered the van, an unmarked vehicle stopped them.

The driver of Arellano’s van, Roberto Lopez, poked his head out because he wanted to see why they were being blocked. Several other unmarked vehicles surrounded their van.

Why do I say “sort of”? Because the church she’s been living in for the past year is in Chicago, not L.A. She left the building a few days ago for the coast, ostensibly to attend an immigration rally there (which she ended up not attending), and the feds evidently just … let her go, without interfering. As it turns out, she’d already lined up a new church to give her sanctuary in L.A. (“sanctuary” being an archaic common law concept that doesn’t exist under American law and would be grossly unconstitutional if it did, of course). I wonder if the feds got caught flat-footed on her new plans and swooped in when they did to avoid having to arrest her inside the church.

Exit question: Why now? Exit answer, as provided by Kaus: To make sure the ballyhooed immigration crackdown gets the worst press possible.

Update: Amazing how efficiently the immigration system works when it wants to. Your anti-assimilationist quote of the day:

“From the time I took sanctuary the possibility has existed that they arrest me in the place and time they want,” she said in Spanish. “I only have two choices. I either go to my country, Mexico, or stay and keep fighting. I decided to stay and fight.”

Meanwhile, an interesting backlash among illegals:

By Sunday afternoon, [Spanish-language radio host Javier] Salas was already on radio talking about the arrest, and callers were weighing in too.

Callers were “saying that she was traveling to Los Angeles and around the United States, she would provoke [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] and the anti-immigrant groups,” he said. “There would be checkpoints everywhere.”

Salas questioned why it appeared that mainstream media make Arellano out to be the face of undocumented immigrants, while her actions have exacerbated the animosity toward them.

“She wasn’t down to earth,” he said, adding that Arellano acted entitled to rights “when there’s thousands and thousands of people in the same situation.”

“She made everything worse,” Salas said. “She’s not a face of the immigrants. My family without papers, she doesn’t represent them.”

She’s in Tijuana now so it’ll be easy to slip back in, but once she does the media’s going to cover it and that’s not the type of case study on border enforcement that the “undocumented community” is keen to have. I’m sure most of them are begging her to stay put, but her son’s here and she wanted to attend a vigil in D.C. on September 12 so who knows if she’ll listen?

What a moment if she turns up there next month to laugh in Chertoff’s face. Viva el crackdown!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Get the hell out of my country and stay out!

…Oh and take your 12 million relatives while your at it.

Tim Burton on August 20, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I like immigration, but I want immigrants to be known, and measured, and to come from a wider international pool than just Mexico and Guatemala, and to be limited to people who wish to become citizens and permanent residents of the U.S.

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Agree 100%. As to the 96%… it’s probably fairly solid although I’ve read some things complaining about how “unemployment” is defined in order to reach that number. But to me the real question is, of the 12-20 million illegals, however many are working construction or other “good” jobs, we should immediately seek to replace them with Americans (of any color, but it would be easy and beneficial for many reasons to target inner-city kids.) If even 2 or 3 million Americans would benefit from such a program, it’d be well worth doing. New Orleans had a local charity setting young people up with apprenticeships right after Katrina, but with a huge influx of illegals, it didn’t get far.

Laura on August 20, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Also agreed. I find it very easy emotionally to take side against the employer who hires illegals, especially in these construction jobs and the higher paying careers, when we have unskilled labor here at home.

But economics tells me that these employers are hiring the best help they can find for the cheapest price. I know too many employers who employ illegals and talk about what they get for their wage in terms of skill, work ethic and reliability, compared to the lazy, attitudinous, unreliable teenagers that you and I have created to take it lightly. It’s a very real issue for employers. And that 4% unemployment number is well, well into the bottom of the barrel in terms of employability.

God help me, I am all over the map on this issue.

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM

So, now every illegal alien who is caught and refuses to leave peacefully is now an “activist”? Why isn’t this repeat-offending “criminal alien” in jail where she belongs?

She shows her allegiance to Mexico by referring to it as “my country”. She’ll be back soon enough.

doingwhatican on August 20, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Is she back in Los Angeles yet?

SilverStar830 on August 20, 2007 at 7:06 PM

One thing I’m not getting – why is she separated from her anchor baby? She should have been allowed to keep her baby while being deported i.e. the baby should have been allowed to go with her.

One of 2 things should happen:

1. The baby should automatically lose its US citizenship and be returned to her
2. The baby should be put up for adaption
Once this becomes a practice, preganant illegals will think 10 times before coming here. Or non pregnant illegals will think 10 times before getting knocked up to come here.

infidelpride on August 20, 2007 at 7:09 PM

God help me, I am all over the map on this issue.

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Good synopsis of the whole job issue. Really.

Bradky on August 20, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Immigration, like many others, is a complicated issue.

The church did the Christian thing by offering sanctuary.
ICE did not have to honor, but it was their choice.

I would prefer the boarders to be closed.
I would prefer that employers not hire illegal’s.
I would prefer the illegal’s in Texas had car insurance.
I am not sure what would happen if illegal’s were deported over every traffic ticket.
I suspect they would begin to resist arrest.

I would like to see bail bonds changed.
If you are arrested for a felony and are not in this county legaly.
NO BAIL.
Deport after trial or after serving time, regardless of the outcome of the felony arrest.

tomneal on August 20, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Elvira Arellano was asked if she wanted to take her son back with her. SHE REFUSED! She is NOT A VICTIM!!

L.A. mayor Tony “Family Man” Villar chimed in by saying this country is tearing families apart. Now there’s a guy who knows a thing or two about tearing a family apart. What a pillar of credibility!!!

DfDeportation on August 20, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Adios, Illegal.

These churches that are hiding criminals need to start paying taxes since they are houses of politics instead of faith.

Hening on August 20, 2007 at 9:20 PM

I want her selling chicklets and oranges in the Tijuana street by the end of the week. chop chop

BDavis on August 20, 2007 at 9:58 PM

No such luck, homes. She’s hanging out with some “journalist” in Tijuana who has a place rented on the paper’s expense account (probably the NY Times). She hasn’t worked in so long, I wonder what I was worried about with her “working” at O’Hare.

And yet, she seems to be well fed and clothed. Good for those Methodists!

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Bradky on August 20, 2007 at 7:53 PM

But clarity is important, so let me be clear: I’m glad this particular chick got deported. Very, very glad indeed.

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Are you sure you aren’t a lawyer?

Bradky on August 20, 2007 at 11:20 PM

¿Esta mujer estuvo en nuestro país para más que un año y no sabe inglés? Ella no utilizó el tiempo aquí muy bien. Si moví a otro país que trataría de aprender el idioma.

Dispense, por favor, mis errores en español, yo aprendo español, aunque viva en los Estados Unidos.

(translation: “This woman was in our country for over a year and still doesn’t know English? She didn’t use her time well–if I wanted to move to another country I’d try to learn the language. Please excuse my Spanish mistakes, BTW–am learning Spanish **even though** I live in the US.” )

inviolet on August 21, 2007 at 12:50 AM

infidelpride on August 20, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Family values much?

God help me, I am all over the map on this issue.

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Have had the same exact conversation with an employer in Colorado, almost word for word. The teenagers who apply are lazy and don’t work hard at what they’re paid for and the illegals work without complaint, do a great job, and genuinely more friendly than any other worker hired out of high school.

Nonfactor on August 21, 2007 at 1:13 AM

The church did the Christian thing by offering sanctuary.
tomneal on August 20, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Tomneal,

My comment is not directed at you personally, but at your position. I believe that Christian doctrine and the Scriptures would teach the opposite of your position above.

The Methodist church did not do the “right thing” by offering this criminal sanctuary.

The Scriptures teach that it is never a “Christian thing” for the church to disregard and interfere with the prosecution of a convicted criminal by offering her sanctuary. This church did the “wrong thing” by offering her sanctuary and openly defying and mocking the State’s interest in having a convicted criminal deported out of the country because of her crime of Social Security fraud.

ColtsFan on August 21, 2007 at 1:28 AM

ELVIRA: (with emotional content) “Don’t cry for me, Tijuana!”

miron on August 21, 2007 at 1:40 AM

Jaibones on August 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM

I agree with you that maybe it is cheaper for employers to hire illegals instead of hiring US citizens who demand at least the minimum wage, if not more.

But does the employer provide health insurance coverage to these illegals? My 6 years of health care experience says that the most common answer is “no.” Because the employer just sends them to the nearest emergency room for all of their outpatient and inpatient health care, including urgent care and non-urgent health care needs, causing a huge financial drain on ER staff and finances.

So while employers maybe are saving money in the short term, local hospitals are losing money in both the short and long term, causing many hospitals to financially shut down.

ColtsFan on August 21, 2007 at 1:50 AM

Defenders of Illegals are always telling us that we need them because they do “jobs Americans won’t do…well besides getting pregnant and committing Social Security fraud just what job was she doing for a year hanging out in that storefront church?

mlong on August 21, 2007 at 2:10 AM

It is waaaaay past time to repeal this “anchor baby” rule. Just because someone drops a kid on our side of the border should not guarantee citizenship for the child, his parents,and the rest of its relatives. If the parents want their offspring to be US citizens, then the parnts should go through the naturalization process first.

Texas Nick 77 on August 21, 2007 at 6:15 AM

Where is this boy’s father? Why doesn’t he take him?

The child was conceived and born after she was ordered deported so it’s possible she had him intentioanlly to use as a tool.

Here’s a couple of thoughts. She’s been here over 10 years and speaks english haltingly and as a second language? She’s attractive, how come she hasn’t found an American husband to cement her position? Does she not speak english very well and has not gone the marriage to a citizen route because the truth is that she doesn’t want to be an American? That she considers herself a mexican and does not want to assimilate?

The big lie is that these people are coming here to become Americans.

peacenprosperity on August 21, 2007 at 6:33 AM

I am already tired of people saying that the Church did the Christian thing. They did no such thing. In fact they did the exact opposite. Romans 13 SPECIFICALLY states that we as Christians are to “submit ourselves to the governing authorities” and that those who “rebel against authority are rebelling against God”. I think that is pretty clear. It does not say obey the law if you agree with it. It does not say obey the law if you feel like it. IT SAYS OBEY THE LAW AND IF YOU DON’T THEN YOU ARE REBELLING AGAINST GOD. PERIOD.

calirighty on August 21, 2007 at 7:02 AM

ColtsFan on August 21, 2007 at 1:50 AM

Believe me, any rationale that I have heard for hiring these workers is just that, a rationale. It is more a lament that the workers available here for low or unskilled labor are lazy, stupid, and unreliable, and that illegals are often the cultural opposite. Hell for society, heaven for employers.

Go Bears!

Jaibones on August 21, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Nonfactor on August 21, 2007 at 1:13 AM

I go to breakfast with an older friend at a local diner weekly. The guy is Greek and his wife helps him run it; business is sparse. We live in a fully integrated area of the Chicago suburbs, and the customers are mostly African American.

This guy has three or four apparently illegal young Mexicans working for him, and as we discussed this issue one morning, I watched this kid bus tables like he had invented it. I wanted to kiss him he worked so hard, and so efficiently; I’d hire him to do anything before one of our precious little local attitude factories.

It kills me that this kid wouldn’t be high on the list of people eligible to immigrate, and I hope that he figures out soon that there is a right way and a wrong way, and gets on a list.

Jaibones on August 21, 2007 at 8:25 AM

Family values much?

Nonfactor on August 21, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Hypocrite! If someone said that to you on your crappy blog, you would delete the comment, ban them, and close the comments to everyone.

Blake on August 21, 2007 at 8:39 AM

Go Bears!

Jaibones on August 21, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Hehe. Ha. Yeah, I watched that preseason game too.

ColtsFan on August 21, 2007 at 9:49 AM

calirighty on August 21, 2007 at 7:02 AM

I agree with you. Rebelling against the State by providing “sanctuary” to a convicted criminal is, in effect, rebelling against God who has ordained for the State to prosecute criminals. The church did the “wrong thing” here.

ColtsFan on August 21, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Jail Bones;

This paragraph epitamizes the heart of the debate about illegal immigration. This isn’t, I repeat ISN’T a social issue about “work ethic”. No one is saying people from the south of our border don’t work hard. No one is saying we don’t need to except SOME people here as immigrants.

The issue here is whether the United State should except financial responsibility for correcting the effects of third world poverty by indescriminantly allowing any and all world citizens into our nation and neighborhoods, supplying jobs and tons of “free” social services and medical care.

The issue here is whether our open borders allow in not only cute little busboys but cute little suicide bombers.

The issue here is whether one of those cute little busboys is using MY social security number.

Who’s worrying about my rights as a life long, law abiding US citizen? I guarantee you its NOT those cute little usboys.

Ernest on August 21, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Nonfactor on August 21, 2007 at 1:13 AM

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN)))))))))))

Our favorite, the KING of the
Metro Sexual Nuclear Blithering Carnival.

Our resident Nonfactor Keith Olbermann is at it again…. Enjoy!

Mcguyver on August 21, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Immigration, like many others, is a complicated issue.

The church did the Christian thing by offering sanctuary.
ICE did not have to honor, but it was their choice.

I would prefer the boarders to be closed.
I would prefer that employers not hire illegal’s.
I would prefer the illegal’s in Texas had car insurance.
I suspect they would begin to resist arrest.

I would like to see bail bonds changed.
If you are arrested for a felony and are not in this county legaly.
NO BAIL.

tomneal on August 20, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Sanctuary from what? She was breaking a law in someone else’s land. She broke the law on purpose to create a publicity event. She had the child to use as a pawn in the publicity event. It was all done to disenfranchise the citizens of this country and break the laws they had passed.

In WWII certain Christians in Europe gave sanctuary to Jews. They took in children and gave them false non-Jewish ID to keep the children from the death camps. That was Christian sanctuary. The Christians who stood up were heros.

This Church was simply a political operative, using the Christian edifice to build a political movement. Elvira was not going to be executed if she was deported to Mexico but she was going to take a big loss in benefits. She can’t take my wallet back to Mexico if she gets deported, but she can pick it right here courtesy of the U.S. Congress.

I consider this church to have acted in a deceitful way. There are a lot of things preached by Jesus but one thing he did not preach was to steal from one another. Stealing a man’s home, or giving a man’s home away for the common good were not part of His program.

I suspect they would begin to resist arrest.

I await the first riot over the American people’s refusal to grant citizenship to anyone who demands it. That will be a turning point for America. Right now, politicians are trying to incrementally dissolve this nation.

If the illegals finally think they own the politicians and decide a riot will be A-OK the problem will be resolved.

Message to politicians: keep tightening the noose on the citizens. At some point they will fight back to keep breathing and your sorry behinds will feel it.

entagor on August 21, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Ernest on August 21, 2007 at 10:28 AM

I know, Ernest. I KNOW. I’m just exposing my very vulnerable emotional conflict over some of the nuances of the human condition. We have a bunch of worthless, lazy punks with their size XXXL white tee shirts and their gangster hats, and they are legal and righteous citizens of the U.S. of A. And I would give you 100 of the maggots for every kid like this, who understands work, and accomplishment, and doing a job the right way.

But he’s here illegally, I imagine. And I agree with you, that that’s a problem.

Put that aside, and remember that this is a meritocracy, and I would bet every penny on him vs. those punk retards who are citizens. No, better than that: I’d hire him.

That’s what ahm talkin’ about.

Jaibones on August 21, 2007 at 11:48 AM

ColtsFan on August 21, 2007 at 9:49 AM

That’s ok, you’ve got the rings. But it all starts over in a few weeks, dude. Bears.

Jaibones on August 21, 2007 at 11:50 AM

The church did the Christian thing by offering sanctuary. ICE did not have to honor, but it was their choice.

I heard an ICE official yesterday state that they didn’t enter the church in Chicago and arrest her because there were threats made against the agents. Threatening to kill agents is the “Christian thing”?

Blake on August 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM

I heard they were in the SECRETOS van, spying on Saulito’s father with another pinche heina. Is that true?

DfDeportation on August 21, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Blake on August 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM

I’m not at all surprised to hear that, but on second thought wouldn’t that actually bring ICE and FBI in there in force in a big hurry?

Jaibones on August 22, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Good news.

We finally enforce our laws and it’s big news. What is this country coming to?

NoSubmission on August 22, 2007 at 10:14 AM

people who harbor and protect illegal aliens should be prosecuted. Any ministers or priests of God who advocate the breaking of our country’s laws in direct violation of scripture are fakes. If I was Catholic I would be departing from that church asap.

Newman on August 23, 2007 at 12:52 AM

She was hold up in a Methodist church.

Blake on August 24, 2007 at 2:31 PM