Breaking: Tony Snow out by next month?

posted at 7:06 pm on August 17, 2007 by Allahpundit

Maybe so, says CNN. No surprise, really: White House chief of staff Josh Bolten issued an ultimatum to leave by Labor Day if you’re planning to say through January 2009 and Tony the Tiger’s going to abide by it. From Hugh Hewitt’s show yesterday:

HH: Your intention to go the distance, Tony Snow?

TS: No, I’m not going to be…I’ve already made it clear I’m not going to be able to go the distance, but that’s primarily for financial reasons. I’ve told people when my money runs out, then I’ve got to go.

HH: How long will that be?

TS: I’m not going to tell you.

HH: Well, come on, make some news.

TS: No.

He makes $168,000 a year — not enough to support a family with college-age kids, apparently.

Three words: “Snow & Malkin.”

Update: He says he’s ruled it out but we can do it, people. We can make it happen.

Comments

Good. Carrying water for Bush was literally killing him. He’s got the resume builder, time to get out. Snow and Malkin is a great idea.

PRCalDude on August 17, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Kos kids start hoping he dies in 5…4…3…2…

MadisonConservative on August 17, 2007 at 7:12 PM

How about MM for White House spokeswoman?

terryannonline on August 17, 2007 at 7:12 PM

If only, if only he was WH Press Secretary from the beginning.
But what does it matter at this time in the game.
I wish him luck.

Kini on August 17, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Or Malkin & Snow…

Blaise on August 17, 2007 at 7:24 PM

I would get so angry with Tony Snow when he was carrying water for the President on shamnesty doing his job.

I really liked his measured tones and imminent wisdom when he was a broadcaster. I understand that Snow knew the job was tough when he took it. But I doubt I will ever forgive President Bush for the good years he took from him.

God Bless this man.

The Race Card on August 17, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Good luck Tony!

And yes “For news and analysis tune in to the Snow and Malkin Hour at 8 pm!”

CrimsonFisted on August 17, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Incidentally, it need not be a ticket…it would make a damn fine Fox programme.

And a great reason to…finally…kick that idiot Kimberley Guilfoyle to the ash heap of history.

Blaise on August 17, 2007 at 7:27 PM

Haven’t seen anything that indicates a departure next month.

A salary of $168,000 doesn’t go very far in Washington, particularly when supporting a family. We all owe Tony a debt of gratitude for representing our interests before the snapping turtles press.

Captain America on August 17, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Hate to see him go, but for his health, I think he needs to be with his family and in a job where the hatred spewed at him from the crazies might stop.

sharinlite on August 17, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Man, he has been a breath of fresh air. God bless him and I hope his health is good. As for the “college aged kids” thing, I would have thought the $168m would cover, but maybe he and I have different retirement plans…

Snow and Malkin! Would be great fun.

Jaibones on August 17, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Good. Carrying water for Bush was literally killing him.

No joke.

Spirit of 1776 on August 17, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Rather than President, he should run for John Warner’s seat in the Senate.

OldZach on August 17, 2007 at 7:59 PM

The Snow-Balls Shows.

Cuz she is the only one I see on TV that has ‘em figuratively.

TheSitRep on August 17, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Well he has health problems, I hope he’s okay.

aengus on August 17, 2007 at 8:06 PM

More Dana Perino, please.

JammieWearingFool on August 17, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Three farmers were sitting around talking about what they would do if they won a $1,000,000 lottery.
Farmer 1 said he would travel around Europe.
Farmer 2 said he would retire to Florida.
Farmer 3 said “I’d just keep farming being White House spokesman until the million ran out.

But then a $1,000,000 doesn’t go as far as when that joke was new. And $168,000 inside the beltway is not even enough to farm with.

TunaTalon on August 17, 2007 at 8:26 PM

as for running for president…

“What has been missing in the interim is not merely some acquired skill or a trick of communicating, but a communications talent that is married to a genuine, heartfelt, long-developed set of beliefs. It’s the marriage of communication with philosophy that is needed; one without the other won’t do.”

I nominate Michelle Malkin.

Zorro on January 31, 2007 at 7:16 PM

I still nominate Michelle Malkin. Hip Hip Hurray!

Zorro on August 17, 2007 at 8:37 PM

God Bless this man.

The Race Card on August 17, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Amen. Tony’s such a class act. It’s too bad the gig didn’t turn out to be better. It’s got to wear on you defending the indefensible every day.

BacaDog on August 17, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Class act Mr. Snow. Class act.

Limerick on August 17, 2007 at 9:11 PM

We love Tony!

petefrt on August 17, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Dear God….please don’t give Karen Hughes the job. Thank you.

Limerick on August 17, 2007 at 9:19 PM

How about MM for White House spokeswoman?

With this President, we’re a hell of a lot more likely to see Geraldo as Press Secretary.

Watcher on August 17, 2007 at 9:21 PM

I like Tony. I especially liked when he had the little disagreements with David Gregory. Good times.

PowWow on August 17, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Michelle doesn’t need Tony. She can handle/carry a show on her own.

Tony Snow was a class act. It will be hard to replace him.

God help him recover from his illness.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on August 17, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Thank you for your service Tony. Best wishes for you and your family.

Montana on August 17, 2007 at 9:47 PM

I wish Tony the best of luck, he’s a good guy as much as he pissed me off at a times being Jorges water boy. Not sure but I think I heard it in voice a few times…what bullshi$$ the “comprehensive immigration” carp is.
I always like to see him and his mannerisms, his is a real gentleman.

oldernslower on August 17, 2007 at 9:55 PM

Needless to say, the HuffPosters have come unglued.

JammieWearingFool on August 17, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Tony has done a great service to this country and I for one appreciate all his hard work. He has something a lot in the beltway don’t have………guts and morals. I wish him well and many years of life after he kicks his current health issue. God Bless his future.

bones47 on August 17, 2007 at 10:41 PM

How about MM for White House spokeswoman?

terryannonline on August 17, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Nah. I think it would be a waste of her time. Best of luck to Tony. He has more important things to center his energies on…

eanax on August 17, 2007 at 10:57 PM

May God bless you Tony. And your family. Do what you need to do!

mimi1220 on August 17, 2007 at 11:12 PM

It’s been painful watching Tony of late, as his illness unrelentingly takes it’s toll. He needs to spend time with his family, sharing love and gathering strength. As others have noted, the stress and strain of his duties as WH Press Secretary are a heavy burden for someone in good health – and an immune system overload for someone fighting cancer.

Go home and get well Tony.

fogw on August 17, 2007 at 11:26 PM

I’m another one who is glad he is leaving the spokesman position. He was wasted in that front line position. He should have been part of the Bush cabinet.

Gingrich/Snow in 08.

DannoJyd on August 17, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Needless to say, the HuffPosters have come unglued.

JammieWearingFool on August 17, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Unreal. Couldn’t stand reading many of them.

BTW – They say all of the hateful comments are really from us GOP’ers posing as Dimwits. Then we can say the Dims are hateful.

Thanks Rove. You magnificent bastard!! We’ll miss you too. /snark

BacaDog on August 18, 2007 at 12:02 AM

eanax on August 17, 2007 at 10:57 PM

She should be head of DHS. From illegal immigration to jihad to international deals brokered by the clintons.

- The Cat

P.S. I can see it now.

MM: Deport Geraldo

Agent: But he’s a citizen

MM: Revoked

MirCat on August 18, 2007 at 12:15 AM

As has been pointed out regarding Karl Rove, the shelf life in terms of book deals and speaking engagements for presidential advisers is short. Rove and Snow can make a lot more money leaving the White House now than if they waited until after Jan. ’09.

rokemronnie on August 18, 2007 at 12:49 AM

Pretty much agree with the general sentiment of the previous commentators.

Too bad Mr. Snow was not the President’s spokesman during the first term instead…. Back when the majority of stuff coming from the White House was worth defending and needed astute communications.

I hope Tony is going to be able to redeem the portion of his soul that he has had to sell.

LegendHasIt on August 18, 2007 at 1:40 AM

God bless Tony.

Take the time you have left Tony, and spend it with your family. That’s all that counts.

Screw politics…we all die in the end.

AZCON on August 18, 2007 at 2:02 AM

Carrying water for Bush was literally killing him.

Not to mention his credibility as an independent thinker. Let’s hope and pray that that and his health are fully restored in the coming months and years.

infidel4life on August 18, 2007 at 3:58 AM

Needless to say, the HuffPosters have come unglued.

JammieWearingFool on August 17, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Just went to your link, God help us if they win control of our country. They reak with hate.

leanright on August 18, 2007 at 6:58 AM

Definitely cancel Jerry Rivers. Snow & Malkin – Malkin & Snow to fill in the slot for starters. DUMP THE MUSTACHED GUY! Especially after yesterdays Fox & Friends.

countywolf on August 18, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Bless Tony.

huffpo..like mother like daughter…all of them vile loons.

Highrise on August 18, 2007 at 10:41 AM

The unbelievable hate and vitriol by some leftwing bloggers towards Tony shows evil that is among us. It unimaginable that people can be so completely heartless. I agree with leanright above. God help us if they ever win control of our country.

volsense on August 18, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Take care of yourself and your family, Tony. We are praying for you!

Ordinary1 on August 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM

After his sell out to Amnesty, I will never listen, support or even hold him in less than contempt.

I don’t wish him ill, but I do wish him political career failure.

Tim Burton on August 18, 2007 at 2:55 PM

I don’t wish him ill, but I do wish him political career failure.

Tim Burton on August 18, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Tony was a true believer before he supported shamnesty. That said, I think that Tony is too good for elected office. He might have seen history on the job, but he would have became history had he remained on it. That kind of pressure was not good for his health, and frankly, we need all of the thoughtful voices we can get in the years ahead.

Tony was wrong on the one thing, but so right on so many others. God speed, Tony!

itzWicks on August 18, 2007 at 6:45 PM

I don’t wish him ill, but I do wish him political career failure.

Tim Burton on August 18, 2007 at 2:55 PM

If you read my first comment on this post, you’ll see that I was both annoyed and angered by Tony Snow’s sanctimony and arrogance during the amnesty debacle.

But I have to wonder, if this is just a man that does his job very well. Perhaps he saw himself in service to the President and was just so believable as an advocate for the presidential platform, that he himself became more than just the messenger.

I do not remember his personal stance on open borders, NAFTA, or the dreaded North American union. I would like to hear some of his earlier radio broadcasts.

If it turns that he is a country-clubber who sees fit to import a slave class of workers just to bolster corporate profits, then I will have no problem voicing my dissent.

But I still feel sorry that he was fighting for his health while fighting losing political battles.

The Race Card on August 18, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Tony deserves more than just a “Fare Thee Well”. They don’t get much more professional and precious than this man. It breaks my heart to see what is happening to him. The job of a lifetime is plopped in his lap….but his health/providence robs him of the strength and fortitude to give it his all. And he had a whole lot of ‘all’ to give.

Just one of the very sad ironies of this life. I hope he can have some wonderful time with his family and enjoy the respect, admiration, and genuine love of those who have followed his career and listened to his common sense all these years.

Take a rest. You deserve it.

jatfla on August 19, 2007 at 10:23 PM