Video: Boos in MSNBC newsroom during Bush’s 2003 SOTU, recalls Scarborough

posted at 11:05 am on August 16, 2007 by Allahpundit

Via the ‘Busters, whose update you’ll have to read to appreciate how quickly information travels these days between big media and blogs.

I linked the boss’s post on this yesterday but she never updated to add the Seattle Times editor’s follow-up. Yes, he admits, the media’s exceedingly liberal. But luckily, it doesn’t matter:

I ask you all to leave your personal politics at the front door for one simple reason: A good newsroom is a sacred and magical place in which we can and should test every assumption, challenge each other’s thinking, ask the fundamental questions those in power hope we will overlook.

If we wore our politics on our sleeves in here, I have no doubt that in this and in most other mainstream newsrooms in America, the majority of those sleeves would be of the same color: blue. Survey after survey over the years have demonstrated that most of the people who go into this business tend to vote Democratic, at least in national elections. That is not particularly surprising, given how people make career decisions and that social service and activism is a primary driver for many journalists

It’s not about “balance,” which is a false construct. It isn’t even about “objectivity,” which is a laudable but probably unattainable goal. It is about independent thinking and sound, facts-based journalism — the difference between what we do and the myopic screed that is passed off as “advocacy” journalism these days.

America’s priesthood, baby. Sacred. Magical. Biased — in the service of God. Is it really bias? Or just piety?

Nice job by Scarborough, though, in calling out his own side on this, even if he did neglect to note, as the boss did, that the presence of an “outside guest” in the Seattle Times’s newsroom during the high-fiving might have had something to do with the editor coming clean about it. I’m sure Matthews and Olbermann are quite dignified and restrained in their comments these days when they happen by a monitor airing the Chimphitler’s latest dispatch from Nuremberg.

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Liberal bias? What Liberal bias? There’s no stinkin Liberal bias here!

amerpundit on August 16, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Oh, yes, I’ll always remember 2000. I went to sleep without the winner being announced. Woke up and all the talking heads were smiling and saying Gore was in. Went back to sleep and woke up again with everybody looking like they were about to cry. It wasn’t even subtle.

Blake on August 16, 2007 at 11:15 AM

No surprises here. Wait til the earthquake on 1.20.09 from Rosie et al jumping up and down with glee.

Or will they? I’m bettin’ on a Republican POTUS taking the oath that day. ;)

Brat on August 16, 2007 at 11:16 AM

The telling quote is that “He was shocked”…

Why are these “great” journalists always shocked at the obvious?

right2bright on August 16, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Scarborough is just another political prostitute that sells to the highest bidder. He does indeed fit in quite well at MSNBC.

rplat on August 16, 2007 at 11:21 AM

It’s not about “balance,” which is a false construct.

Presumably, he will be testifying against the Fairness Doctrine.

JackStraw on August 16, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Liberal Bias? That is the 1st I have heard of that.

Wade on August 16, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Elitist holier-than-thou snobbery IMHO. These people worship at the altar of their own self-importance.

infidel4life on August 16, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Sometimes it helps to read for comprehension.

For example, E&P wrote (with intent/clarification filter enabled):

“It’s not about “balance,” which is a false construct. It isn’t even about “objectivity,” which is a laudable but probably unattainable goal. It is about independent thinking and sound, facts-based journalism telling whatever lies we can to insure that our side is in power forever and that BushHitler burns in Hell. DEATH TO CONSERVATIVES!!”

Does anybody have a differing translation?

I’m not surprised that the disloyal, treasonous leftwing media boo-ed the President of the United States while the nation was at war. Were you?

georgej on August 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM

infidel4life on August 16, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Funny. I could swear you were talking about the people on HotAir for a second there.

Nonfactor on August 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Blake on August 16, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Or Election night 2004. Juan Williams was all smiles early on (thanks to the exit polls) but you could actually see him deflate as the actual results came in.

KelliD on August 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Nonfactor on August 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Haha! Feeling provocative today are we?

Zetterson on August 16, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Maybe they were chanting Boooooush Boooooush Boooooush, we love Boooooush!!! Ok, ok, I know, back to my crack pipe….

soulsirkus on August 16, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Great news: the MSNBC newsroom no longer actively boos the President!

But openly supporting any Democrat candidate and kissing the butt of every liberal guest is applauded, and encouraged.

fogw on August 16, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Or as Karl Rove said on Rush, effete snobs…

Love it!

jdawg on August 16, 2007 at 11:43 AM

The MSM bias is just clearly out in the open now. They don’t even try to hide it anymore.
Someone sent me an e-mail while ago that was pretty good.

Tokyo Rose

The other night a friend and I watched a movie called, “Flags of our Fathers”.

During the movie, I pointed out the radio broadcast of ” Tokyo Rose”.

During World War II, the Japanese wanted to find a way to demoralize the American forces.

Psychological warfare experts developed a message they felt would work.

They gave the script to their famous radio broadcaster ” Tokyo Rose”, who always had the best music on her station, so lots of GIs would be sure to listen.

And every day she would broadcast the same message, packaged in different ways.

The Japanese hoped it would have a negative impact on American GI’s morale.

What was that demoralizing message? It had three main points:

1. Your President is lying to you.

2. This war is illegal.

3. You cannot win the war.

Does this sound at all familiar?

It should, because today we are being bombarded by

Tokyo Hillary, Tokyo Harry, Tokyo Teddy, Tokyo Nancy, Tokyo Kerry, Tokyo Edwards, Tokyo Murtha, Tokyo Dean, Tokyo Jimmy Carter, etc.

They have picked up the same demoralizing message and are broadcasting it via Tokyo CNN, Tokyo ABC, Tokyo CBS, Tokyo NBC, etc., to our troops.

The only difference is that they claim to support our troops before they demoralize them.

Come to think of it, Tokyo Rose told the troops that she was on their side, too

About right huh?

conservnut on August 16, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Yeah. Journalists have looked at themselves as social activists ever since journalism changed from “telling the truth, at all costs” to “making the world a better place.”

andycanuck on August 16, 2007 at 11:53 AM

a sacred and magical place“?

I think I just threw up.

(I worked in the newsroom of a small city’s paper and the only thing sacred was the mileage allowance and the one magical aspect of it was when the check cleared.)

profitsbeard on August 16, 2007 at 12:05 PM

The telling quote is that “He was shocked”…

Why are these “great” journalists always shocked at the obvious?

right2bright on August 16, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Yeah, it’s the same as when the journalists were “shocked” when Gaza has fallen into disarray and chaos since the Israelis pulled out. It’s terribly amusing.

mjk on August 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM

conservnut on August 16, 2007 at 11:49 AM

You aren’t questioning their patriotism, right?? It’s all fun and games, until that happens.

Rick on August 16, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Not much of a surprise there,i remember when
it was election night and the libs thought they
had won.Laughter,smiling faces.The voting wasn’t
over,CNN and CBS went to a break.The Republicans
won the election.Dan Rather looked like he lost a
family member,CNN looked like a funeral.Dig up the
videos.

canopfor on August 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM

I remember the ’94 elections when the GOP won both house and senate. I thought the media people reporting it would break down in tears. Thier disappointment was clearly obvious. Remember, that’s the year “angry white men” took aver and the country had a collective “temper tantrum”.

jdawg on August 16, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Rick on August 16, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Oh, they are true patriots, the islamofascist kind.

conservnut on August 16, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Nonfactor on August 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for posting on HotAir.

right2bright on August 16, 2007 at 1:42 PM

I question their patriotism or lack of it.

MarkB on August 16, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Nonfactor on August 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

I second right2bright…why do you insist on remaining literally a nonfactor if you hold us in such disdain?

(Excuse me, contempt…wasn’t sure you knew the meaning of disdain.)

Go elsewhere, and maybe someone will view you as a factor.

Miss_Anthrope on August 16, 2007 at 2:11 PM

I remember the ’94 elections when the GOP won both
house and senate.

Jdawg.on August.16 2007 at 1:30PM.

You are correct on that,the collective temper tantrum,
as if they were children and soon they will realize their
mistake.

canopfor on August 16, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Liberal Bias? Why mother Sheehan has informed me that moveon.org is “too conservative”. And we all know that MSNBC is more conservative that moveon.org.

If you will only think like Cindy Sheehan it will be clear that the press is far right.

But sit down first that can make you dizzy.

TunaTalon on August 16, 2007 at 2:31 PM

In the words of Don Rumsfeld… “My goodness.”

***shakes head*** :::sigh:::

Califemme on August 16, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Dear Allah,

Booze in MSNBC newrooms? Are you saying they are fuddling while rumors burns? Is this firewater versus Goldwater? Are they making schnapps decisions?

Distill my heart. I’m shocked. I thought there was not rum at the top. And I had Olbermann pegged as a louse–not a souse.

Ah, well. Where there’s tope, there’s life.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 16, 2007 at 3:30 PM

I loved her reactions.

– The Cat

MirCat on August 16, 2007 at 4:03 PM

You know, if it wasn’t for Allahpundit posting this, I’d never would have known this.

Point is, the elite media (MSM) wonders why their ratings are down and subscriptions are off. I don’t watch pMSNBC mainly cause I don’t find it interesting. I only watch CNN when their is a breaking story like the Peru earthquake. I don’t get Fox cause my satellite provider forces me to pay more for crap TV that I don’t watch or want.

What I like here is the brevity and wit of moments like these clips and what ever else I read and see on the net and TV that keeps me informed.

I guess I was mad as hell, and I stopped putting up with it.

Kini on August 16, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Hiss goes the woman whose father worked for Jimmy Carter and whose brother works for Barrack Obama.

SoulGlo on August 16, 2007 at 5:14 PM

It’s hilarious to see the pedestal you people place journalists on. As if they aren’t even human, that they aren’t supposed to have an opinion on an issue. We’re not even talking about what they say to the public, we’re talking about their honest reactions to something they saw on T.V. And you guys still can’t get over it. How dare they have an opinion different from my own?! How dare they have an opinion?! They’re journalists for God’s sake!

Nonfactor on August 16, 2007 at 5:47 PM

MSNBC has got to be the liberally biased station I have ever seen hit the airwaves. I don’t think there is one person on that station, with the possible exception of Scarborough, who hasn’t made it plain and obvious that they hate George Bush’s guts and everything he stands for with a purple passion. I really believe that the night before Bush leaves office, you will see Chris Matthews throwing the confetti all over the newsroom. This station is absolutely pathetic.

pilamaye on August 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I loved her reactions.

– The Cat

MirCat on August 16, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Uh-huh. Yeah. Right. Mm-hmm.

soundingboard on August 16, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Rick: “You aren’t questioning their patriotism, right??”

Where upon MarkB responds: “I question their patriotism or lack of it.”

Sirs, with all due respect, there is NOTHING to question. The term “questioning their patriotism” is just a meaningless noise when spoken aloud.

There is nothing to “question” here. To question is to express doubt, to wonder. There is no doubt on this subject! The MSM is NOT patriotic. In fact, their unpatriotism borders (if not actually crossing over) on treason against the United States.

georgej on August 17, 2007 at 3:49 AM

A news room is a sacred place? Cmon! What idiots these people are! And what idiots we are if we believe one thing they try to spoon feed us…EVER!

sabbott on August 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM