Video: Creepy Chris Matthews moment of the day

posted at 1:33 pm on August 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

With thanks to star tipster RLW, who tells me he plucked it from a DU thread where they’re talking about suing Matthews for sexual harassment under some theory of vicarious liability known but to god and the ACLU. Dedicated to the boss, who had her own encounter with Hardball-style “Neanderthal chauvinism” many moons ago.

In fairness to Matthews, it’s not quite as excruciatingly awkward as l’affaire Beck.

Comments

What a slime ball, having a good looking woman on to talk serious stuff and then to throw down on her.

Her father needs to train him.

Faith Hill (our Mississippi woman) would have yanked his head off. Michelle would have done it twice.

Dersu on August 12, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Dating for dorks.

profitsbeard on August 12, 2007 at 1:48 PM

slimeball said it… pervert is more like it

Kaptain Amerika on August 12, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Matthews seems to have slipped off the moral high ground there. Imagine if Hannity had done the same thing to a pretty guest on his show-the DUers and Koskids would still be excoriating him a week from next Tuesday.

Doug on August 12, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Such a sweet talker. I can hear the gals giggling “Dork!” as he heads to the bar to get them a round of drinks saying “Yeaaah!”

Dusty on August 12, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Somebody needs to tell him sexual harassment laws were designed to stop creeps like him from creating an awkward workplace. She thought he was telling her to come in closer so the audience could see her, when he just wanted to get a better personal look at her.

If the Dems call this news reporting better than what Fox News presents, I have a bridge in New York to sell them along with some socialized health care program.

jasoneverts on August 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM

All the attacks on the candidates wives written by liberal female democrat journalists. Matthews degrading and inappropriate treatment of women like Burnett and MM. All further evidence that the democrat claims of sexism are all about projection.

D0WNT0WN on August 12, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Chris Matthew’s “fanaties” revealed.

Mcguyver on August 12, 2007 at 2:34 PM

what a slime ball , where is Zell Miller when we need him. no wonder this joke is on pmsnbc .

Mojack420 on August 12, 2007 at 2:37 PM

I know Matthews is married and has children. I just can’t figure out how he managed to pull that off. Maybe MM, MKH, LB, and KP could do another vent and discuss all the beefcake male journalists like Matthews and Olby. I’m sure there are photographs available of them that would allow the ladies to give a thorough assessment of their appearance. It would be very informative.

D0WNT0WN on August 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM

I missed this link before commenting:

Now I really dislike the slimeball.

Dersu on August 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM

I saw this….it was GOD awful!

186k on August 12, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Here is Chriss Matthew’s email: hardball@msnbc.com, to which you can send his secret fantasy.

Mcguyver on August 12, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Come on, get in a little closer. Closer. Clooooser. Closer. More. Yeaaaah, that’s it.

Seixon on August 12, 2007 at 2:59 PM

I got the feeling he was noticing how the CNBC reporter was already leaning forward, and teasing her about that.

mikeyboss on August 12, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Alright now hate the camera, hate it, yeah your hatin it.
Okay now bark for us, bark harder, let the femdog out.
Good job, now get me a latte’, leave it next to the picture of ME on my desk, in the office with the full length painting of ME.
I am all that is MSNBC, a legend, I am a media god.
ALL HAIL.

christophercube on August 12, 2007 at 3:17 PM

What a helmet!

abinitioadinfinitum on August 12, 2007 at 3:23 PM

For once I’ve got to go with the ACLU on this one. The fact that there is video evidence of this with other guest shows there is a pattern of a demeaning behavior based on sex. Throw the book at him.

pedestrian on August 12, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I agree with Mikeyboss, that was my first impression too. It looks like he was teasing her about leaning into the camera. Not that I like the guy, I just didn’t see this the same way as the rest of you.

Rose on August 12, 2007 at 3:55 PM

It’s that North East, Democratic, super-smart charm.
But it’s OK, he’s a Liberal. They can murder, molest and embarrass women in public and it’s acceptable.

Hening on August 12, 2007 at 3:55 PM

She should just be glad she wasnt an intern at the White House in the 90s

oh wait that is OK to according to the Left.

William Amos on August 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Ha. What a goob. He probably felt a little lost in the details of the economic world and so brought the conversation done. Dork.

Spirit of 1776 on August 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Wow, that Error 404 link was really worth clicking.

corona on August 12, 2007 at 4:06 PM

mikeyboss on August 12, 2007 at 3:02 PM

“Come in really close to the camera” “You’re a knock out”?

It’s not Matthew’s fault that she was like uncovered meat. He probably thought she was coming on to him through the camera.

This guy sets a great example to the viewers of how to treat women in the workplace.

pedestrian on August 12, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Let’s ruin him for eternity. HE WILL NOT GET AWAY WITH THIS!!!!!!!

all sex is rape! all sex is rape!

compliments are intimidating and akin to rape!

This woman was basically raped!

WOMYN UNITE!

sincerely,

Feminazis

Metro on August 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM

The fact remains that she IS pretty damn nice.

Jeff on August 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I wonder if he practices in front of the mirror…, being a Jerk.

Kini on August 12, 2007 at 5:23 PM

best.screencap.ever.

TexasDan on August 12, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Heh. Chris Matthews is one Smoov operator.

But Glenn Beck is still King of the Dorks for his lead balloon.

SilverStar830 on August 12, 2007 at 5:47 PM

man, that’s hard to watch

Opinionnation on August 12, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Tom Tancredo – 14% in Iowa!

WOW!

DfDeportation on August 12, 2007 at 6:07 PM

No way, this Matthews thing is definitely worse… In the Beck clip, you have to look at the context of what they’re talking about, and notice that the chick’s face doesn’t change or anything… it’s almost as if she doesn’t hear it, doesn’t understand it (or knew it was just a joke he breezed over and she’s just waiting for him to say something serious again), etc. She doesn’t make a face that indicates she’s offended or repulsed she just kind of stares like she’s waiting for the next question.

Anyway, too bad these guys can’t get away with what Gutfeld does nightly…. “Julie Banderas, she’s so hot you could…..” or “Rebecca Gomez, she’s so hot if you were to…” or “Courtney Friel, she’s so hot she can’t…”. I also think they teased Banderas about wearing a push-up bra recently, and even talked about back rubs she’d given Gutfed and that curly haired woman Schultz before the show.

RightWinged on August 12, 2007 at 6:09 PM

mikeyboss on August 12, 2007 at 3:02 PM

That’s how I figure it, BUT because of the logo at the bottom of the screen, we cannot tell how much cleavage she was showing. The more she leans in, the more you would see.

But, still, as big a tool as he is, I tend to believe he was giving her a hard time because she was leaning into the camera to begin with.

csdeven on August 12, 2007 at 6:11 PM

OK, at the end you can see she is totally covered. He was just razzing her for leaning into the camera.

csdeven on August 12, 2007 at 6:13 PM

mikeyboss on August 12, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I hate to stick up for the guy because I think he’s just awful, but I tend to agree with mikeyboss on this one.

pullingmyhairout on August 12, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Does anybody remember the Hardball when Chris Matthews made some remark about putting Katrina Vanden Heuvel on the back of his motorcycle? (It could have been some other fairly attractive liberal pundit, but the point remains the same.)

In his defense, however. MSNBC has been pushing the babe factor in marketing Erin Burnett. She seems to manage well despite her beauty being an obvious obstacle for many men. She has had probably dealt with this throughout her career. I bet she was probably creeped out by Chris Matthews clearly objectifying her.

When Scarborough interviewed her, he was just as lame as Hardball. He actually suggested that she trademark the moniker Street Sweetie because it’s been used to describe her. But Scarborough is a sexually overy kinda guy, so I’m not too shocked.

The real story here is that many women choose to sexy up the scene on their own. Can anyone say Fox? Better yet, please watch a local newscast in LA one evening. Many women in this market dress like way too provocatively to deliver hard news. And why would a professional journalist need breats augmentation to further her career? I don’t know, but collectively speaking, I have noticed reporters and anchors seeming mure buxom.

he he he. He said hard.

The Race Card on August 12, 2007 at 6:24 PM

C’mon, what are you people getting on the bandwagon about? He was trying to be funny. Have we become so feminist in our mindsets, that we see rape in every aside, every joke, every quip, every flirt? Give it a rest. Leave that nonsense to the left, they invented it. Let them play in that sandbox.

jihadwatcher on August 12, 2007 at 6:48 PM

he can get away with this cause nobody watches his show. Although, i wonder how his wife feels about this?

jesterstear on August 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM

jihadwatcher on August 12, 2007 at 6:48 PM

I’m not really offended by this either, but I’ve got to say… that comment coming from a guy who last night insisted at length that the Iraq war is happening ONLY because of a Bush/Hussein family rivalry? A little odd.

RightWinged on August 12, 2007 at 7:32 PM

“just kidding just kidding, you’re a knock out” doesn’t have anything to do with teasing her about leaning over. Now what was going on in his head, I don’t know. Basically I have no idea what the heck is going on outide of the fact that the above line has nothing to do with leaning over.

- The Cat

P.S. As to the 2004 link, the cure didn’t work, I still gots the fever. Now is that offensive, defensive of someone you admire, or just the plain truth? Probably all three.

MirCat on August 12, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Mark my words.
Within our lifetime.
Chris Matthews will just tell his female guests “C’mon, show your tits.”

Canadian Infidel on August 12, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Mark my words.
Within our lifetime.
Chris Matthews will just ask female guests ‘Show your tits!’ and then the discussion will continue.

Canadian Infidel on August 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM

The whole sequence reminds me of the infamous Jodie Foster prison scene from Silence of the Lambs. I was expecting something to splash on the monitor.

Zaire67 on August 12, 2007 at 9:29 PM

So what?

thuja on August 12, 2007 at 9:29 PM

He’s probably on the DC madams phone list. Was it just me, or could you hear his knuckles knocking the underside of his desk? Dateline NBC catches pervs like him every week trying to pick up little girls on the internet.

roninacreage on August 12, 2007 at 9:30 PM

On second viewing, I do think he was just razzing her for leaning into the camera. But I can see where people could get another impression. Either way, it was a weird moment.

Blacklake on August 12, 2007 at 9:30 PM

This is all very informative, because heretofore I had always assumed Matthews was gay.

radjah shelduck on August 12, 2007 at 10:59 PM

shelduck

that was pretty funny

EricPWJohnson on August 12, 2007 at 11:33 PM

I can say I honesltly have no clue what his intent was. It seemed pretty obvious. Especially with that freaky laugh of his. But he does that with almost every one I’ve seen him with.

PowWow on August 13, 2007 at 12:05 AM

He’s a spittle spewing Lib who’ll be the first to clutch his balls when Billary lets Al-Quaida run amok in USA.

malkinmania on August 13, 2007 at 12:22 AM

If I was his wife, he’d be sleeping on the couch by himself…and then some. It’s probably not the only time he’s been slimey, I’m sure this wasn’t a surprise to his wife.

jihadwatcher, I’d say you are clueless but I’d place bets you probably do the same stuff that this idiot did.

Highrise on August 13, 2007 at 4:22 AM

Chris is immune from sexual discrimination.
He doesn’t meet the criteria.

He would have to be a man.

TheSitRep on August 13, 2007 at 5:48 AM

It also bears mentioning that this kind of on-air harassment of an attractive woman by one of MSNBC’s alleged men is nothing new. Just ask Amy Robach and Contessa Brewer about how Don Imus and his cronies treated them when they gave news updates on his program. (How these two ladies must have laughed at what eventually happened to Imus.)

radjah shelduck on August 13, 2007 at 5:58 AM

Seriously, what the hell was that about? Can you imagine the outrage if Hannity or O’Reilly did that?

William Teach on August 13, 2007 at 9:18 AM

I agree completely. Of course, I do the same thing whenever an MKH video pops up here… but at least I’m self-aware enough to feel guilty about it.

saint kansas on August 13, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Maybe off topic but I’m more appalled by what she said. Owning a home is a right in this country?

Brat on August 13, 2007 at 12:28 PM