Hot Air Audio: Rep. Murtha’s office hangs up when asked about the Haditha Marines

posted at 11:54 am on August 10, 2007 by Bryan

When he wasn’t busy over the past year or so arguing that we ought to fight al Qaeda in Iraq from our bases in Okinawa and Diego Garcia, Rep. Jack “Abscam” Murtha has been busy stuffing his face with pork, behaving questionably over appropriations and smearing US Marines. Now that three of the Marines Murtha prejudged to be guilty of cold-blooded murder have been cleared of all charges, Murtha ought to answer for what he has been saying about them.

Today, I called up his office in DC to see if he was planning on issuing any statements. For some reason, his staff is less than forthcoming on that point.

Update: Porkapallooza!

(thumbnail from Boot Murtha)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good, he needs to be pounded on this. He’s an embarrassment to the state.

Bad Candy on August 10, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Way to go Bryan. Keep carrying the ball. Murtha should be prosecuted.

Griz on August 10, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Oh man. That’s funny. Hold him to account!

nailinmyeye on August 10, 2007 at 12:00 PM

The laugh at the end was priceless.

Hats off to you Bryan.

Kowboy on August 10, 2007 at 12:00 PM

You are nothing but a COLD BLOODIED CALLER Bryan. ;)

1sttofight on August 10, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Damn, they’re innocent. Damn the surge is working. That G**damn country is going to do us in if it keeps going this way.

Can’t anything go right?

(meeting in the democrat headquarters)

right2bright on August 10, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Can you please post the phone number. If they won’t talk to the press, I’d like to ask them myselves for an answer to that question.

proudinfidel on August 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM

What did you expect? If dhimmicrats were ever held accountable for all of the stupid remarks they made, there would be no more dhimmicrats. But please keep trying! We do appreciate your efforts!

rmgraha on August 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Heh. Nice Bryan. Murtha should answer for what he has said.

Spirit of 1776 on August 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Great call Bryan, I am sure he was for the innocence before he thought they were guilty, but now that they are innocent…we know it could have happened, they just weren’t caught doing what we know could have happ…screw it.

You did great, now watch him fumble.

right2bright on August 10, 2007 at 12:04 PM

proudinfidel on August 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM

DC (202) 225-2065
PA (814) 535-2642

Bryan on August 10, 2007 at 12:05 PM

From his home page:

Representative Jack Murtha
Washington, D.C. Office
2423 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-2065
(202) 225-5709 fax

rmgraha on August 10, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Great job, Bryan. Thanks for posting. I’m loving this whole new check-and-balance-via-smart-folks-on-internet thing. You guys are the vanguard.

mikeyboss on August 10, 2007 at 12:08 PM

I’m calling right now…

mikeyboss on August 10, 2007 at 12:09 PM

That’s funny. You’d think she could’ve transferred Bryan to someone who does handle press inquiries. Hmmmm….

Sean M. on August 10, 2007 at 12:09 PM

It wouldn’t hurt to call your congressmen and put pressure on them to get this slug to account for his actions.

He is a disgrace. Yes Boot Murtha.

BobK on August 10, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Oooh, she was snitty. Hung up on me, too.

mikeyboss on August 10, 2007 at 12:12 PM

What sux, is that Murtha won’t even be told, he recieved a call on this. Maybe there will be a Mark Levin surge.

captivated_dem on August 10, 2007 at 12:12 PM

To be fair, I worked on capital hill in the Majority Leaders office when I was in high school answering phones, and I would have hung up on you the instant you mentioned you were from hotair and recording the phone call. These are interns who basically serve as a barrier between the people and the legislative assistants. The last thing I needed was to answer policy questions to some person on the phone on behalf of my congressman.

If you want something for REAL, and not just some sensationalistic title and story, call his office, ask to speak to a Legislative assistant, and THEN go ahead with your question. Asking an intern is like going to Walmart and asking the door greeter Walmart’s policy on child labor.

muyoso on August 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM

The guy in the PA office was at least polite.

mikeyboss on August 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Well at least she didn’t immediately hang up on ya. That is a good thing right??? Ya got the question asked anyway. That is better then when I wrote Harry Reid about the amnesty bill and in response got an email thanking me for my concern about postal workers.

LakeRuins on August 10, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I liked the laugh at the end too. Priceless.

Bob's Kid on August 10, 2007 at 12:19 PM

OMG I so wish I had a recorder for the conversation I just had with the woman at his office. I think it was the same one in Bryan’s recording.

I told her I was following politics as a voter in the US and had heard his comments condemning the marines. I had waited to see what was going to happen before making judgement. Now that they had been cleared was he going to issue a formal statement?

The lady got ornery right off the bat. With a flat NO. I pressed her again that he should make some statement and she fired back that his comment was general in nature and that just because a ‘couple’ of marines had the charges dropped that there were still some others with pending murder charges and he would have no comment on the issue.

Again I told her I was an Independent who found his remarks worrisome and feel he should comment less risk the fallout from voters.

She asked me if I had any other questions…then hung up on me!!!

proudinfidel on August 10, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Oh, and at least she dignified Hotair as “press.” That’s something!

Bob's Kid on August 10, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I expected the left to resort to calling us babykillers. I never expected a congressmanand an EX-marine to do it.

Mazztek on August 10, 2007 at 12:22 PM

I just called the PA office to ask about their protocal for handling callers looking for more information. He said they simply write it down etc..

I filled him on on how I just got scolded and hung up on by an employee at the DC office and reminded them that it is a direct representation of how people view Mr. Murtha and his conduct in office.

He took my name and concern to forward on. Dont’ know if he will, but keep the calling going and keep the heat on these people.

proudinfidel on August 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Why are five Marines still on the hook?

and btw Mazztek, EX-Marine is CORRECT.

RushBaby on August 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM

That was priceless, Bryan. Well done!

GT on August 10, 2007 at 12:34 PM

People in Pa, tell me why this abscum is still in office. Please.

oakpack on August 10, 2007 at 12:35 PM

People in Pa, tell me why this abscum is still in office. Please.

oakpack on August 10, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Pork and stupidity. No, I am not from PA.

PBoilermaker on August 10, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Sad that the Marines haven’t removed Murtha’s name from their rolls and demanded his phoney medals back.

Buzzy on August 10, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Nice! You should do more of these “accountability calls”.

CP on August 10, 2007 at 12:40 PM

She knows who does talk to the press, doesn’t she?

Pablo on August 10, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Friends don’t let friends who are deranged be elected to office.

Speakup on August 10, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Murtha needs to be impeached

apostle53 on August 10, 2007 at 12:48 PM

hehehe, this is excellent.

If they can’t cut and run, then they’ll run from the truth.

My weekend is off to a good start, Thanks Bryan.

KCtheKat on August 10, 2007 at 12:49 PM

It shows the left-wing hate machine doesn’t mind spreading lies but can’t answer for those lies when confronted with the truth of vindication.

Nice.

madmonkphotog on August 10, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Was she wearing a blue vest, I wonder?

Murtha is a lifetime, skank, Democratic politician in the same league with The “Drunk” Kennedy’s, Kerry, and so on.

Manure for brains, set for life, corrupt and putting this nation in danger every day he wakes up. Nobody ever seems to confess voting for these human dust balls but they gather in the House and keep this country from being great.

Hening on August 10, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Worthless Murtha…someone take away his Oxygen.

SouthernGent on August 10, 2007 at 12:57 PM

I just got done calling Murtha’s Washington, DC office. A gentleman answered and I identified myself as a former resident of PA, graduate of Penn State and a combat veteran with the USMC in Vietnam. I asked what were the plans for a statement release. He told me that no statement is forthcoming since there are still at least three Marines still charged with dereliction of duty! I asked ” But couldn’t Mr, Murtha , at the least, respond to the dropped charges?” Then he hung up! This cretin , Murtha, needs to charged with sedition and well as bribery.

MNDavenotPC on August 10, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Don’t the dereliction of duty charges have to do with doing a follow up investigation and not the initial event? I could be wrong, can someone who is familiar with all the cases sum up where we are?

bnelson44 on August 10, 2007 at 1:04 PM

That was great Bryan.

That sounded like a Skype call by the sounds of that disconnect…

Zorro on August 10, 2007 at 1:08 PM

People in Pa, tell me why this abscum is still in office. Please.

oakpack on August 10, 2007 at 12:35 PM

The same reason ilks in Massachusetts continue to elect Lurch and Fat Hotty Toddy Teddy. Its beyond intelligent folks comprehension, so don’t even try.

Great recorded conversation Bry!

Continue to fry that Bast*rd!

SouthernPride on August 10, 2007 at 1:20 PM

She knows who does talk to the press, doesn’t she?

She does, but as I know from working on Capital Hill in a reps office, NO ONE gets through to the LA’s unless they know them by name. Also, anyone with the “press” that calls and reaches the intern gets turned away, as press has a special number that goes straight to the press sec.

Again, ask for a Legislative Assistant, and then ask if he will be releasing a statement, the secretaries and interns answering the phones dont know anything.

You want to ask for Ms. Debbie Tekavec. She is John Murtha’s staff assistant from what I can find. She should be able to give a concrete answer.

muyoso on August 10, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Hey Bryan, do you need any special setup to record your calls with Skype? (I recognized the SFX when the call ended) I haven’t looked into it yet, so I thought I’s take a short-cut and ask :-)

Thanx Bryan. Yes, HA is part of the press. This is where the world is going… news from the web and calls like Bryan’s. Soon they’ll HAVE to talk to you!

Ordinary1 on August 10, 2007 at 1:38 PM

so I thought I’s I’d take a short-cut

Ordinary1 on August 10, 2007 at 1:39 PM

A simple hang-up, no shouted obscenities?
Looks sorta like senility is softening the senior sot into simulated civility.

That’s an improvement?

TunaTalon on August 10, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Funny! That question should be hammered till the pig answers.

I’ve got a few: Congressman Murtha, is your mouth running?

Kini on August 10, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Ordinary1 on August 10, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Hot Recorder.

Bryan on August 10, 2007 at 1:50 PM

muyoso on August 10, 2007 at 1:30 PM

I’ve called Rep’s offices before. The person answering the phone is supposed to forward press requests, and she recognized me as press, to the press office. She is not supposed to just hang up. That’s unprofessional.

Bryan on August 10, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Now I see why I only got the answering machine when I called Murtha’s Wash. office. You guys have been upsetting them by demanding an apology nobody thought to prepare. They didn’t anticipate that accusing some Marines of cold-blooded murder could be a problem, apparently.

NellE on August 10, 2007 at 1:53 PM

NellE

Or it is their lunch hour

bnelson44 on August 10, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Bryan on August 10, 2007 at 1:51 PM

So is their boss. Among other things.

Good job, give ‘em hell.

thirteen28 on August 10, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Murtha needs to be impeached

apostle53 on August 10, 2007 at 12:48 PM

This isn’t proper English but I prefer he was “Saddamed”

Joey1974 on August 10, 2007 at 2:03 PM

This scumbag should be shot as many times as it takes for him to push up dasies for being an extream traitor to this country.

Lets not go there, we can be better than YOU KNOW WHO

KBird on August 10, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Thanks for the info

allrsn on August 10, 2007 at 2:07 PM

This isn’t proper English but I prefer he was “Saddamed”

Joey1974 on August 10, 2007 at 2:03 PM

How about impeached, put on trial for his crimes, convicted, sent to prison and then Saddamized

Pig Dog

Swinehound on August 10, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Just out of curiosity, would it do any good to call any of Murtha’s cohorts and ask if they have any plans for censuring him since his public allegations have been proven false?

dominigan on August 10, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Good Old Cut n’ Run Murtha should be ridden out of Congress on a rail! This bullying loudmouth has been doing nothing for the last couple of years but going on left-leaning news outlets (he doesn’t have the guts to show up on Fox News!) and running off his flapping gums about how the war is a failure, and that the soldiers are all burned out, and generally doing everything he could to embolden the enemy. He also spent all this time pumping himself up with as much pork as he could fit it. I would love to see these soldiers who have had the charges drop against them join forces and sue Murtha’s rear end clear out of Congress. This guy has been stinking up the halls over there long enough! Murtha Must Go! Now!

pilamaye on August 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM

AP and Yahoo running cover for Murtha.

I didn’t see any stories in regard to the Haditha
Marines at AP, MSM or did I miss-em.

Texyank on August 10, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Yeah! God forbid that the public might get past all those barriers to the inner sanctum where the Congressman dwells. We taxpayers pay good money to make sure rat bastard traitors like Murtha aren’t bothered by the voices of all the “little people.”

highhopes on August 10, 2007 at 2:44 PM

I just called the DC office and asked if the congressman was planning on making any public statement now that 3 of the marines had been cleared of all charges. I was told that, no, there would be no public statement. I pointed out that this is in stark contrast to his behavior prior to evidence being presented and asked again about the possibility of a public statement. “No. That’s not to say that it won’t be handled correctly, but he is not planning any public comment at this time.”

I wonder what he means by “handled correctly”? I assume it means “sweep it under the rug”.

Barntender on August 10, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Many races in MA have one, Democratic candidate. No Republican, Rainbow/Green, Libertarian, Independent challenger. It’s like an election that Saddam rigged. One person running for the democratic process to be assured.

The NE is quickly becoming a Communist Bloc satellite awaiting orders from the Kremlin, or Beijing.

Hening on August 10, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Ah the sweet sweet sound of skype being used as intended.

bigskinny on August 10, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Censure him in congress for defamation?

dingbat on August 10, 2007 at 3:00 PM

No, censure him and try him for sedition!!!!!

MNDavenotPC on August 10, 2007 at 3:04 PM

They,d all be walking around with muzzles.

dingbat on August 10, 2007 at 3:05 PM

That’s a bad thing?

MNDavenotPC on August 10, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Bravo Bryan, keep the heat on these SOBs. The revelation about global warming has got me furious at the left more than ever, though I can’t say “motivated”, as I don’t see the recent news making the MSM, therefore millions of kids will continue to be brainwashed and lied to on the issue, while we’re lumped in with holocaust deniers. But this call you made is exactly what needs to be done. Non-violent, respectful, professional badgering of these clowns. Doing the job the MSM won’t do.

RightWinged on August 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Hey Bryan, btw, I noticed that bartender (above) called as well… Would you post if any of us are able to get a recording? I don’t have Skype, but I have speakerphone on my cell, and a mic here hooked up to my computer already. I’m more than happy to place basically an identical call if you’re looking for some reader participation.

RightWinged on August 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM

The right will not be able to get any traction in the MSM on censure for this pandering puss. However, they will cover the indignation of the left all day and from every angle.

dingbat on August 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM

I called and I asked her if he would release a statement and she said NO! I said, “but he called them cold blooded murderers, don’t you think he should release one?” she said “what part of NO don’t you understand!!!” Such a nice lady.

dawgsleadtheway on August 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM

RightWinged on August 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM

As long as you abide by the law that governs wherever you are (it’s different state by state, and I’m not going to track down the laws in all 50 of them) I’ll post if anyone gets any useful audio. It would be great to have.

Bryan on August 10, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Wow, I just got off the phone with that same lady. Talk about rude!! I gave my name, and that I live in Washington state and that (thankfully) he is not my representative but I also know that one representative can have an impact on the whole nation. I then asked if he was going to issue an apology to the 3 Marines he called cold blooded murderers since they have been cleard of all charges. Her anwser, a pretty harsh NO. I asked why not, and she said, “He’s just not going to.” I then told her he has done nothing but smear their names and reputations publically for years. She said, no and hung up on me.

StephC on August 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM

muyoso on August 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Agreed.

I’m one of your biggest supporters, Bryan. This is, I think, the first time I’ve disagreed with you. I’ve got a tear in my eye thinking about it.

But seriously.

Christoph on August 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM

StephC, as far as being rude goes, she shouldn’t be; she’s answering the phone and she should keep her temper in check.

BUT… she’s getting hounded by calls on the same issue and she’s a human being too. Give her credit for being honest at least in her answer. YOU got to the truth! Feel good about your achievement:

Christoph on August 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I just called.

I asked “Will the Congressman be apologizing to the Marines who have been cleared in the investigation after calling them killers”

The guy who answered said “Well there’s still an on-going investigation”

So I said “So when the investigation is over, is the Congressman going to apologize”

So he says “I’m not going to speculate”

So I said “Well he should”

VinceP1974 on August 10, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Touché, Bryan — now let me wipe away that tear!

Christoph on August 10, 2007 at 3:56 PM

VinceP1974, it sounds like someone with a higher pay grade (or more candlepower) answered the phone. That’s how it should have been handled initially — that or forwarding to someone else.

Christoph on August 10, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Don’t worry, I’m sure Helen Thomas, TNR, CNN, and the NYT will all badger Murtha relentlessly about this.

TallDave on August 10, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Christoph on August 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Wipe up the tears, dude. You heard the entire call. I asked politely and got hung up on, when she recognized me as press yet failed to transfer me to the press office. And I called before she was getting hounded. What’s there to disagree about?

Bryan on August 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Because THEY SUPPORT THE TROOPS!!

Don’t question their patriotism!

TallDave on August 10, 2007 at 3:59 PM

A simple apology is not enough, he needs to ask his supposed comrades for their forgiveness.

James on August 10, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Touché, Bryan — now let me wipe away that tear!

Christoph on August 10, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Heh. Here’s a hanky.

Bryan on August 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Bryan, I changed my position on this — the call was fair (never said otherwise) and was handled badly.

Not sure this proves anything other than Murtha is such a piss-poor leader and can’t get his people to handle an incoming phone enquiry properly — amazing how he thinks his great big corrupt bribe-availing ass would provide better leadership than the current Marine Corps under President Bush.

Yes, I agree he has more faults and probably doesn’t have the guts or decency to make a public apology.

Christoph on August 10, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Murtha isn’t the only one who owes those Marines an apology. Given the fact that the allegations had not even been investigated yet, much less substantiated, when he made his statements assuming their guilt, the entire House of Representatives should have censured him the next day. What is worse, the House at the time was controlled by Republicans!

We should not only contact Murtha’s office about what he intends to say to those Marines he slandered, but we should also contact our own congressmen and ask them what they have to say about Murtha’s backstabbing the Corp.

Lancer on August 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Just called (thanks for the #’s Bryan): the staff guy was nice enough, but now they have an answer

“there are still Marines charged”

“the Congressman has not issued a statement”

“blah, blah, blah”

[about to call my own Congressman....]

BobH on August 10, 2007 at 4:32 PM

I highly recommend calling your own Congressman.

I don’t know if they have plans to call Murtha out on this, but encourage them to.

I did and they sounded very amicable to doing just that.

Let’s encourage our leaders to stand up for these guys!

BobH on August 10, 2007 at 4:40 PM

The woman is stressed about all the calls because she has to get Murtha his Depends and the damned phone keeps ringing.

Wade on August 10, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Murtha is a disgusting disgrace that needs to lose his place at the public feeding trough as soon as possible.

rplat on August 10, 2007 at 4:45 PM

This image of Skerry and Murtha is a classic. Nice job.

Captain America on August 10, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Had to listen to it again for that chuckle.

baldilocks on August 10, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I refuse to think of him as a Marine. A real Marine would stand up and be counted. Right or wrong they stand tall.

Every Marine I have ever known, would not hide like this faux has. Just goes to show, that military experience is not always beneficial or can change a boy into a man.

right2bright on August 10, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Thanks Bryan, the jerk needs calls like this, yea he hears about them. I wonder what the turnover is in his office ?

2theright on August 10, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Beautiful. Good job Bryan.

PRCalDude on August 10, 2007 at 5:19 PM